Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic | WildStar | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,645,058 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,078,894
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » That was awful, I tried but couldn't take it anymore

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
111 posts found
  monstermmo

Apprentice Member

3/22/13 9:29:35 PM#21

lol I keep seeing people mention the graphics being horrible and i think theyre beautiful considering its an F2P MMO. I can easily admit theyre nothing compared to Bioshock Infinite but i also would not expect such a comparison of graphics.

I've got a few hours played on it also and really like it. =) The targeting system is more simplistic than i was expecting it to be but its still very fun. 

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
Join me on Raptr Steam Facebook Twitter Gameverse

keithian

Elite Member

OP  3/22/13 9:54:39 PM#22
Originally posted by monstermmo

lol I keep seeing people mention the graphics being horrible and i think theyre beautiful considering its an F2P MMO. I can easily admit theyre nothing compared to Bioshock Infinite but i also would not expect such a comparison of graphics.

I've got a few hours played on it also and really like it. =) The targeting system is more simplistic than i was expecting it to be but its still very fun. 

I think its good that the graphics meet your standards. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. After seeing the game and other recent releases and comparing them to games over 6 years old, I think they are extremely dated. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wish for me I was like you and could tolerate that.

There Is Always Hope!

Wickedjelly

Apprentice Member

The Dude abides

3/22/13 10:10:47 PM#23

So far it seems those that focus on the gameplay offered via PW are disappointed while those that focus on The Foundry aspect are having a blast from all the reviews I have seen.

Which is about what I expected.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Newnan

Advanced Member

3/22/13 10:23:38 PM#24

I also had a similar impression from this game. I wanted to like it even though I never played DND. I knew it was a beta and expect problems. I was able to make it to lvl 30 on a thief, and lvl 5 on every other class. In no order:

1. Slow boring combat
  2. bad charater custimaztion and progression.
  3. dated graphics.
  4. Lack luster animations
  5. Very poor Pve interface system of questing.
  6. HORRIBLE absolutly god auffle PVP.
  7. somewhat heavy cash shop (talking about bag space)

My biggest problem is they expect the faundry to be this great system to develope quests. I played over 20-30 different foundry quests (BE2 and BE3), and found them all to be either RP heavy or just kill a bunch of mobs for crappy loot and really the combat felt draggy during the whole experience.

On my thief I had a decent stealth build that I liked out of all the other classes and even then it was not very entertaining playing.

The game felt like it wanted to be a PVE version of League of ledgens where they would just come out with a bunch of classes and make you pay for them in the cash shop probably (pure speculation).

To each their own. These are just my opinion of the product and do not reflect on anyone else who enjoy the game itself.

-Edit: also forgot to add that they dropped HP potions every mob or so and by lvl 30 I had 200+ potions sitting around able to spam any time making no challenge at all in any dungeon.

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

Hiron

Novice Member

3/22/13 10:42:51 PM#25
Originally posted by keithian
Originally posted by Alber_gamer

[mod edit]

I personally love the graphics style and the dungeon atmosphere of places like ruins, crypts and even warehouses. But what is even more funny is that I'm recognizing some posters here bashing NWO's graphics as dated, while they are posting in Wildstar forums that they love Wildstar's graphics - that being 7 years old WoW-cloned graphics. xD

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

The character customization is really lacking imo. And I understand what you mean with nothing is pulling you into the game. As I find the dungeons are very generic. Tmr I will give the game a last chance. Seems like many people believe the foundry is the saving grace, so I want to see it with my own eyes.

I do hope its good, because the rest of the game can be shit as long as the dungeon is well designed, varied and fun its all fine by me.

Dubsoul

Apprentice Member

3/22/13 10:46:07 PM#26

If anyone who is going to try this game and has played previous Neverwinter Nights titles, you will be highly disappointed. It has to be the most simple of MMO games I have tried. It's not horrible but it isn't challenging and it's DEFINITELY NOT DnD styled. I have a ton of bones to pick with this game after playing for a day, and as I love the previous Neverwinter Nights I WILL keep playing the game just to see how it turns out down the road HOWEVER if you think this game is some epic piece of work you do not have good judge of games. This is a pathetic excuse for a "Neverwinter" MMO coming from the perspective of a huge Neverwinter Nights fan for over 10 years. I still have Neverwinter 1, all the expansions and everything on my computer desk right now and I have Neverwinter 2, which I believe has better graphics than this game, however it is in beta so I won't be critical on the graphics, the last I will say about it is it doesn't look impressive and it doesn't run very well COMPARED to other games with far better graphics on the same (max) settings. BUT IT IS BETA SO ITS COOL. From what I understand ToR didnt have it's good graphics until awhile after actual release.

Alright so here is my biggest issue with this game and any BS that does this.

It uses the title Neverwinter and DnD - Both of which are already games. There is DnD online and the NWN 1/2 games. Both of which have much much more complexity as far as leveling, spells, feats, you name it, it's better and has more of it. So from my stand point I had very high expectations, well not really.. I just expected it to MAYBE be somewhat LIKE DnD OR NEVERWINTER NIGHTS, considering BOTH ARE IN THE ******* TITLE. (I'm very upset over this game if you can not tell).

The mechanics are awful, well maybe not awful.. if you're a 6 year old it's great.. Any monkey could play this game right off the bat. I'm going to have to force myself to push through this game just because I want to see what the story and whatnot is all about because I'm a huge fan of Forgotten Realms, DnD and especially the Neverwinter stories. It has auto aim for one, sweet.. It uses the left and right mouse buttons for the main two attacks, cool, then you get a few others for your 1, 2s, and 3s ect ect.. But either I missed something or there is simply a very limited number of skills you possess to use at any one time. (Again a huge difference from NWN & DnD where you had an entire bar full, and if you were a caster, you had two or three bars of skills)

All in all the game felt like a watered down childs version of GW2.

Next is the classes, if you call them that. They are sad. THe cleric gets some rediculous looking weapon, Sorcerer or "Controll Wizard" gets a little ball that floats over their shoulder, and as far as I have seen thats all you get, one weapon style, lame. Neverwinter and DnD both have many weapons for all classes based on profissions, (Simple, martial, Exotic, ect) This game butchers that entire aspect of both DnD and Neverwinter. There's no mixing it up, no staff wizard, or dagger sorcerer, no dex clerics with monk gloves. This might change later, but it was an instant turn off for me when my cleric couldnt get a mace and a shield as they do in both DnD and Neverwinter.

Rolling - This is just stupid, get rid of it. There is no freaking reason for me to roll 5 times to get the preset stats that are programmed into the game. Give me the 10 or such stat points over the base stats and let me put them where I want. When I build a sorc or a cleric I enjoy have a decent amount of Con so you don't get squished so easy, I rolled about 50 times and my con/dex never went past 12, I assume because it isnt one of the high lighted stats for the class. And when you roll, it isnt completely random, its random presets, you will see the same numbers turning up on the same spots repeatedly, for cleric I just took the set that came up with the highest wis, wiz (Or whatever you can call it) I did Int followed my Cha.

I understand I'm harsh because I have played the other games and I compared this one to them even though this game is totally different for whatever reasons. It's just simple and seems as if it were made for people under the age of 10. It's not advanced like... I dont know.. anything DnD at all is ten thousand times more advanced than this game, (Exaggeration!)

Before anyone goes flipping the eff out on me over this post, go and play NWN 2 at least and you will understand what I mean completely, or try DnD Online, Its a great game, F2P and you can pay sub to unlock the entire game or just buy the parts you want.

As a long time player and fan of DnD and Neverwinter, This game is highly disappointing. If you have played and were a fan of DnD online or Neverwinter Nights, or really any other DnD styled game you will mostly likely feel the same way.

It's very seriously missing that 'character building' concept that DnD is known for. You will not have a long sword/mace/rapier/kama.. anything.. It is absolutely nothing like either DnD or Neverwinter Nights, whatsoever, other than the story/world/tale/setting/ect.

Also I was a big RPer in NWN1, not so much 2, and this game has no aspects for that, which I assume is what.. 90% of the true DnD/NWN crowd.

Last thing, it's not a horrible game. It didn't show me anything unique, new or special. I'm not impressed at all. But it is still entertaining to some extent and I would say give it a shot, especially if you have no expectations and haven't played DnD online or Neverwinter Nights. Also it is a beta, and a rough one right now. As much as I wanted to see this game come out and jump on it I'd be hard pressed to spend any cash on it or play it completely through.

I want a freaking cleric monk with 90AC that runs at the speed of light! (I understand most of you have no idea what that means, hopefully.. someone does)

I want a Neverwinter Nights 3 now!

Alright I'm done.

rommello

Novice Member

hallo ~_~

3/22/13 10:49:24 PM#27
wow i was just thinking of downloading, altho i still have other things to kill time on.....hmmmm....nvm then

hallo ~_~

Hiron

Novice Member

3/22/13 11:03:25 PM#28
Originally posted by Dubsoul

I want a Neverwinter Nights 3 now!

Alright I'm done.

I pretty much have the same opinion as yours. I was hugely dissappointed because I hoped for a game like DDO. Well even a watered down DDO is ok but the dungeon is not even close to the DDO dungeons. Which is why I have all my hopes on the foundry. Second problem is indeed the customization. I feel like the same as every other rogue. Nothing special at all.

If you are D&D fan and are looking something like DDO/NWN 1/2 you will be disappointed. I really really wanted to like NW.

Originally posted by NetSage
Just some quick first impressions told me it's decent.  While I agree with a lot of your flaws and there are a good amount of bugs left I think they did some nice things.  I can't wait to see how the foundry system plays out and with being f2p well you have nothing but time to see how it improves.

You should try the game. Altough it cant be compared with quality mmo. (Too simplified and not much options for character creation) It is OK if you are into fast, console like hack and slash and a game which can keep you busy while you wait for other mmo/games. Just dont expect any deep/complex gameplay.

This game is also not bad if you have never played mmo before and just want a simple mmo to begin with. But any mmo veteran wont even glance at this game.

VitaminK

Novice Member

3/22/13 11:07:01 PM#29
I dont know if I've been spoiled by GW2 but this game really does suck. Immersion is awful. I never judge a game by graphics but they are nothing great, just standard mmo generic. I found the zones/cities to just really put me off even more. I was hoping this game would be decent, had no expectations whatsoever. Also the combat is very stale imo.
  strangepowers

Advanced Member

SCAD Animation-Film-F/X

3/22/13 11:12:26 PM#30

Originally posted by VitaminK
I dont know if I've been spoiled by GW2 but this game really does suck. Immersion is awful. I never judge a game by graphics but they are nothing great, just standard mmo generic. I found the zones/cities to just really put me off even more. I was hoping this game would be decent, had no expectations whatsoever. Also the combat is very stale imo.

Well that's an opinion alright. Good thing it is not fact.

The scary part is one day the world will be run by adults who were never spanked as kids and got trophies just for participating.

JimmyYO

Advanced Member

3/22/13 11:17:10 PM#31
Neverwinter is going to flop worse then Vanguard. I can't stand Tera but theres pretty much no reason anyone should play Neverwinter over it. This is one of the most linear, limited games ever which is a travesty considering it has the D&D title.
  Cochran1

Apprentice Member

"Fish can't sit down cause they got no laps!!"

3/22/13 11:37:43 PM#32

I'm fine with the graphics, the power supply on my main rig died yesterday so I booted it up on my laptop whick only has a Quadro 1600m gpu. Suprisingly it does a great job of running it.

The combat reminds me somewhat of Daggerdale which is not too bad for action combat. I'm not too pleased with the classes and abilities, being a fan of the P&P games and earlier rulesets but I can appriceate it for what it is. I can always play DDO if I want deep character progression.

The story is my favorite part so far as it follows along with Salvatore's Neverwinter series, many who've never read the books won't appreiceate it as much as I do. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I've barely scratched the surface of the foundary, but I've come across some interesting quests so far.

I haven't tryed the pvp or dungeons yet so I can't comment on them.

It's going to be free to play for what that's worth so none will be out too much to try it out upon release. The way people have been tearing it down you'd swear that it was a P2P release from a company known for putting out qualtiy titles (Cryptic.) So far (and maybe it's because I didn't follow it too closely) it's everything that I expected. I got a taste of what was coming by playing Daggerdale ( put out by Atari before the Cryptic/PWI aquisition.)

vizzledrix Xfire Miniprofile
  kalinis

Apprentice Member

3/22/13 11:45:37 PM#33

its beta. I haven't got into beta so i can't say one way or another if is fun. That said beta doesn't mean pre play to get a trial of game. Its to find bugs and fix them

Most graphics are stand in until the final stages when they update the graphics. Most companies don't put in the final graphics until like a month or so before release. 

Im sorry but again its a beta. U have invisible mobs. Weird animations, stuck in space, Floating in air while u walk., Getting stuck mdi jump , finding these and killing them is what beta is alla bout. Judging a game purely on beta is ridiculous. 

DamonVile

Hard Core Member

3/23/13 12:00:46 AM#34
Originally posted by kalinis

its beta. I haven't got into beta so i can't say one way or another if is fun. That said beta doesn't mean pre play to get a trial of game. Its to find bugs and fix them

Most graphics are stand in until the final stages when they update the graphics. Most companies don't put in the final graphics until like a month or so before release. 

Im sorry but again its a beta. U have invisible mobs. Weird animations, stuck in space, Floating in air while u walk., Getting stuck mdi jump , finding these and killing them is what beta is alla bout. Judging a game purely on beta is ridiculous. 

That might be true for early beta but when they start handing out 100k keys for a weekend....you're not there to find basic bugs. You're there to try the game and they are stress testing the servers. The types of bugs you're talking about should be long gone by that point.

I'm sure this game will have a following but there is nothing special about the game play at all.

People are like cats. When they die, you get a new one.

Xthos

Elite Member

3/23/13 12:01:53 AM#35

Played a session, and didn't care to go back.  I do not like the UI setup, mapped keys, but still disliked it.  Wizard felt kind of bland, not my thing I guess.

Karelia

Apprentice Member

3/23/13 12:03:12 AM#36

i played also last night and i agree with OP in most cases. The least i was annoyed was graphics. I can stand them, but the rest was huge dissapointment. I know that game is what it is, but i think  its too little for a 2013 game, whatever this means.

btw its f2p, thats something :)

Wickedjelly

Apprentice Member

The Dude abides

3/23/13 12:06:22 AM#37
Originally posted by kalinis

There are probably still some beta keys available from here. Check out the banner if you're interested. Just a heads up if you want to check it out. 

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Trionicus

Novice Member

3/23/13 12:12:37 AM#38

Also a long time fan of D&D / Forgotten Realms Neverwinter Nights, fan of the D&D Table Top experience and the books etc...

I did not feel like I just experienced a Forgotten Realms setting.

So, back to Skyrim?

Laromuss

Apprentice Member

3/23/13 12:19:20 AM#39

The OP's opinion is his opinion he can say it sucks dick for all I care but as long as he doesn't spread misinformation i'll respect his opinion. The only advice I would give you is not to judge fully on a beta as things still need fine tuning.  Additonally I recommend playing the game past level 10 as the combat mechanics and system change a bit due to the "tab special ability"  which changes how the class plays by improving it throudh damage, mitiagation etc,  but definitely makes it more fun and changes up the pacing and how you fight enemies.   Another thing is the initial very early enemies are very simple, as you progress the enemies get a lot more challenging and are layered with purpose and chosen roles which makes battle situations a lot more strategic (whomever did the grouping, AI and layering of enemies, understood the difference between Core Gameplay and Map Gameplay and was able to use that to compliment an already strategic battles)   

Also you're missing out on Events that run hourly throughout the day which really changes the quest pacing and makes it more enjoyable as well.   They range from skirmishes (defending, assualting bases to low level PVP domination and of course the best kind the User based Questing which I've seen some very non linear creations which shows that this game has high potential to be fun and if users are willing there will be a ton of innovative and creative missions to play )

monstermmo

Apprentice Member

3/23/13 12:26:50 AM#40

I think another reason i can enjoy it so much is because i've never played any previous Neverwinter games. But at the same time i've played other games that were completely changed up in sequels that i thought were great so i dunno, Dungeon Siege 3 for example which i think is incredible.

Also ALWAYS try a game for yourself. I read opinions and reviews all the time and almost never agree with what people think about a game. I loved the living crap out of Bullestorm and Brink and many, many other games that people seemed to hate. 

This is the most fun i've had playing a healer class since Scarlet Blade. haha I love healing in all games but this one so far has allowed me freedom to also be a decent damage dealer at the same time which is what i've always wanted. I hope it stays that way in the later levels.

I still havent gotten far enough on the cleric in Tera but that one seems cool also, its just a bit grindy so i havent put a lot of time in it yet still.

I must completely disagree about the combat in Neverwinter being slow, i mean thats just insane, it is definitely not slow. =p

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
Join me on Raptr Steam Facebook Twitter Gameverse

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search