Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,683 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,426
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » Never have to use money

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
27 posts found
  JasonJ

Apprentice Member

3/22/13 7:45:26 AM#21
Originally posted by Hiron
We will have to see how the ratio is at launch. People now spends diamonds like crazy because its gonna reset anyway. Wait a few weeks after launch when the economy settles. I expect it will be harder to get as much diamonds as you did in beta at launch.

Same thing was said during GW2 beta...yet I havent had to spend a penny on anything except Mini's which I just plain WANTED to have just to have, I didnt HAVE TO HAVE to progress in the game nor did they give me an advatage over anyone.

As for the diamonds, yes, they will be easy to get after release...do you think they placed the price on so many things in game because they think everyone is going to drop $30+ a month to get basic items? No, they will be trying to get a small portion of the playerbase to spend $5 a month.

If they can get 200,000 people to spend $5 a month it would equal having 66,666 subscribers at 15 a month which would place it over Champions or City of Heroes in terms of money made.

This is something they can easily do if they make a ton of really nice vanitey items like pets, mounts, costumes and other non-power items.

Rthuth434

Novice Member

3/22/13 7:47:26 AM#22
even GW2 had to endure P2W bullshit on this forum, this will be the sme even if it's not true.
  observer

Elite Member

First came pride, then envy.

3/22/13 3:28:29 PM#23
This sounds exactly like GW2's Gem exchange system.  I actually love this model and glad other companies are using it.
  raistlinm

Novice Member

3/22/13 3:32:59 PM#24
Originally posted by Kyleran

If really true, then the developers have done something wrong, unless having freeloaders is somehow a benefit to the cash paying customers (the role of "victim" comes to mind)

I doubt it is as easy as it seems at first and even if it is this is going to siply end up as a balance issue that is worked out quickly after release for the reasons you state.

Alber_gamer

Hard Core Member

3/23/13 7:33:55 AM#25

The best of all is that if you become a dungeon creator and make something great that a lot of people like, they'll donate Astral Diamonds so you keep the good work up. And then you'll really not have to spend half a penny to get everything the game has to offer.

It's an awesome incentive for people to make quality stuff for others to play.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

evicton

Apprentice Member

3/23/13 9:17:55 AM#26
Originally posted by JasonJ
Originally posted by Hiron
We will have to see how the ratio is at launch. People now spends diamonds like crazy because its gonna reset anyway. Wait a few weeks after launch when the economy settles. I expect it will be harder to get as much diamonds as you did in beta at launch.

Same thing was said during GW2 beta...yet I havent had to spend a penny on anything except Mini's which I just plain WANTED to have just to have, I didnt HAVE TO HAVE to progress in the game nor did they give me an advatage over anyone.

As for the diamonds, yes, they will be easy to get after release...do you think they placed the price on so many things in game because they think everyone is going to drop $30+ a month to get basic items? No, they will be trying to get a small portion of the playerbase to spend $5 a month.

If they can get 200,000 people to spend $5 a month it would equal having 66,666 subscribers at 15 a month which would place it over Champions or City of Heroes in terms of money made.

This is something they can easily do if they make a ton of really nice vanitey items like pets, mounts, costumes and other non-power items.

Have you ever played a pw game? If we use every other pw game released along with PWs f2p conversion of STO there will be power items in this cash shop. And pw charges some insane prices for their stuff as well.

I'm gonna use STO as my example because these game have so much in common. Both seem to use a heavily modified version of the Champions Online engine. Astral Diamonds= Dilithum Ore. And both have the foundry for user created missions and both allow you to tip the creator.

Now in STO there are a ton of missions and stuff that let you earn dilithum from a simple daily mining mission thats just a mini-game, fleet actions, pvp daily quests, even completing foundry missions in sto gives you dilithum (the first spotlight foundry mission you do each day even gives a large bonus of dilithum). The 'problem' is not that dilithum is hard to come by in STO its the dilithum is worthless until its refined. Refining dilithum ore is a button click in your 'bag', however each character is hard capped at refining 8k dilithum per day.

When leveling in STO dilithum is neither needed nor is it even a focus of the game. However once you hit max level dilithum becomes the currency that is required for almost everything. Outside of the fleet ships the best ships are cash shop exclusives most cost about 2500 zen or 25$. Most cash shop ships have consoles that can be put on other ships so there are ships (there like gear for your ship with special abilitys if you don't play sto) that you will want to buy just for a console. Now lately Cryptic has been favoring releasing 3 versions of the same ships all with their own unique console, and when you have all 3 version of the console on the same ship you get a set bonus.

Now Cryptic has found it in their heart to allow us the option of buying all 3 for 5000 zen or 50$ as a pack or you can pay 7500 zen or 75 dollars to buy all 3 seperately.

Right now the exchange rate for dilithum or is currently going at 90-100 dilithum ore per zen. On an average If exchanging my ore for zen I can get about 84-90 zen per character per day with the dilithum cap (alts do make it easier as they have their own sepearate refining cap). However I can't just put all my ore into zen because at max level EVERYTHING outside of the auction house has atleast some form of refined dilithum in its costs. And I'm not talking about a little costs I'm talking about 15k for an engine. New reputations have their own stores, each item in there stores has a dilithum costs just to unlock the option for buying it in the store. I payed 2k dilithum and some other items to unlock a romulan rifle, it then cost another 10k dilithum to buy said rifle from the store. In the future i will want more of the rifles/ other guns for my away team members.

Almost everything end game in STO is a dilithum sink. If its not a dilithum sink its a cash shop exclusive like lock box keys. Lock boxes have a chance to get a  exclusive 'rare' and powerful ship.

The point of this book is Neverwinter is made by pw/cryptic just like STO. The above cash shop for STO has been succesfull enough that the game is regularly getting content updates. Along with a new expansion comming in may with a whole new faction. There is no reason to think Cryptic won't be using a similar cash shop strategy for neverwinter, the groundwork is already there in the astral diamonds. And this cash shop strategy isn't really anything like GW2 outside of the fact the GW2 allows you to exchange gems for gold.

HorrorScope

Novice Member

3/23/13 9:49:47 AM#27
When I read the subject... first thing I thought... You are right, I am collecting silver and gold and I seem to never have to spend any of it. That seems a bit odd, no?
2 Pages « 1 2 Search