Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,737,023 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,176,178
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » Neverwinter Bombs in Beta

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
99 posts found
  DJMantiss

Novice Member

3/20/13 10:36:49 AM#61
Originally posted by koboldfodder

The game will fail.  No doubt.  It has nothing to do with D&D, everyone who plays 10 minutes of it knows that.  Guilw Wars 2 is a better version of this game, has a lot more open zones and is free and will have more people playing it.  Why play this game when another game out there does everything better?

People who are D&D creator fanatics will not play this game.  The one thing about the foundry is this:  You actually need to have good people creating missions and such.  If you played COH you know exactly what is going to happen.  For every one decent mission, there will be 100s of farm type of missions.

This is just another of the same type of MMO that has been released for the past 7 years.  If this game came out before Guild Wars 2, then sure, it would be a big hit.  But GW2 has already soaked up the numbers for that type of game, and it is a B2P game, not a sketchy F2P game like NO.

This game will hold your attention for a couple of months.  If that is what you were looking for, well there you go.

Obvious GW2 fanboi is obvious? Not to be crude, but common. GW2 doesn't have the classic D&D creatures, races, environments or "feel." GW2 also doesn't have the ability to swap out abilities for everything to mix and match your playstyle vs. the content. Sure you can swap weapons, but still much more restrictive.

Last time I checked GW2 also has nothing in the way of a foundry. Which is the big selling point for a lot of folks. Being able to craft stories, quests and dungeons for friends and the community alike. Nor does GW2 have mounts, or even true action combat. Yeah everyone in full plate can roll around like ninjas, but the tells are obscure and most of the time completely pointless. GW2 is the Firefox of MMOs, you see trouble, you do a barrel roll.

Neverwinter has its flaws, no doubt, but using GW2 as the "go-to" game instead is a really bad joke.

Aerowyn

Novice Member

3/20/13 10:52:56 AM#62
Originally posted by DJMantiss
Originally posted by koboldfodder

The game will fail.  No doubt.  It has nothing to do with D&D, everyone who plays 10 minutes of it knows that.  Guilw Wars 2 is a better version of this game, has a lot more open zones and is free and will have more people playing it.  Why play this game when another game out there does everything better?

People who are D&D creator fanatics will not play this game.  The one thing about the foundry is this:  You actually need to have good people creating missions and such.  If you played COH you know exactly what is going to happen.  For every one decent mission, there will be 100s of farm type of missions.

This is just another of the same type of MMO that has been released for the past 7 years.  If this game came out before Guild Wars 2, then sure, it would be a big hit.  But GW2 has already soaked up the numbers for that type of game, and it is a B2P game, not a sketchy F2P game like NO.

This game will hold your attention for a couple of months.  If that is what you were looking for, well there you go.

Obvious GW2 fanboi is obvious? Not to be crude, but common. GW2 doesn't have the classic D&D creatures, races, environments or "feel." GW2 also doesn't have the ability to swap out abilities for everything to mix and match your playstyle vs. the content. Sure you can swap weapons, but still much more restrictive.

Last time I checked GW2 also has nothing in the way of a foundry. Which is the big selling point for a lot of folks. Being able to craft stories, quests and dungeons for friends and the community alike. Nor does GW2 have mounts, or even true action combat. Yeah everyone in full plate can roll around like ninjas, but the tells are obscure and most of the time completely pointless. GW2 is the Firefox of MMOs, you see trouble, you do a barrel roll.

Neverwinter has its flaws, no doubt, but using GW2 as the "go-to" game instead is a really bad joke.

I'm a fan of both games but just wanted to mention in gw2 you can swap weapon sets and all your utiliy skills which in turn can completely change your playstyle on any class not to mention you can swap the trait abilities out whenever you want outside combat as well..haven't gotten to far into nw skills but hope their is even half the variety in ways to play each class as gw2 because up to 25 in nw I didn't have a whole lot of options in comparison

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Alber_gamer

Hard Core Member

3/20/13 11:45:12 AM#63

Look, it's again the crowd that whines aobut a beta game having bugs and not enough content.

I think the only mistake Cryptic made so far, was allowing about every kid to get their hands on a Beta key to come make baseless and missinformed threads like this.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Dauzqul

Spotlight Poster

3/20/13 11:46:47 AM#64
I quit after about an hour. Been there, done that...  so many times.
  DeVoDeVo

Advanced Member

3/20/13 11:48:55 AM#65

LOL.  There are so many people with hidden agendas that post in these forums.  It’s impossible for me to believe all that I read.

I suggest people try a game out for themselves before dismissing it based on the rants of forum posters.

gr0und3d

Apprentice Member

3/20/13 11:52:57 AM#66
Originally posted by Dauzqul

I would never have guessed that someone posting on an MMO forum would have played MMO's before.  This MMO is an MMO.  It has MMO qualities.  I have also been there and done that, but I didn't quit.

Burntvet

Elite Member

3/20/13 12:02:18 PM#67

The thread can end right here... ^^
  AG-Vuk

Advanced Member

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Oh, I see it's too late to help you.

3/20/13 12:49:26 PM#68
This is a product by Cryptic, if it weren't for the name , they'd have to pay people to play it. They make mediocre games, why people expect more from them is beyond me. They've relied on getting a hold of a well know IP and exploiting it for what they can.  This is the last big name IP they got a hold of before Atarii sold them . Hopeful they will fade from the consciousness of the gaming world after the release of this.

BrownAle

Apprentice Member

3/20/13 12:52:39 PM#69

OP doesnt like game, says beta was a flop.

Okay!

Ill for sure check it out a launch.

I wish they had went with a full fledged third person view dungeon crawler...however i hear gear itemization is garbage which ruins it as a dungeon crawling grinder...which can be a very fun type of game if you like to farm.

Laromuss

Novice Member

3/20/13 12:55:27 PM#70

I think the one thing to keep in mind is, if you're going to give your opinion of a game and say it sucks blah blah blah etc.  Then two things need to happen.  1: Give us some facts to backup why you think the game will fail. 2: If you don't have facts then state that this is your opinion and leave it at that.  Lastly just don't spread false information, thats the only thing I hate the most, you can go on and bash the game all you want with no facts etc but as soon as you spread false information I will call you out on it and correct you.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion just do it with some respect and you'll get respect back no matter how weird/ridiculous your opinion may sound to others.

Xarko

Advanced Member

3/20/13 1:03:10 PM#71
Originally posted by Burntvet

The thread can end right here... ^^

If that could end thread on site called mmorpg.com you might aswell cancel the whole thing.

Hiron

Novice Member

3/20/13 6:31:17 PM#72
Originally posted by Aerowyn
I'm a fan of both games but just wanted to mention in gw2 you can swap weapon sets and all your utiliy skills which in turn can completely change your playstyle on any class not to mention you can swap the trait abilities out whenever you want outside combat as well..haven't gotten to far into nw skills but hope their is even half the variety in ways to play each class as gw2 because up to 25 in nw I didn't have a whole lot of options in comparison

I agree. I see 2 mayor flaws with NW. Character customization and generic dungeons. Not to mention the limited type of weapons for each class. The skill tree has lots of "copies". I saw a skill which appears 3 times in the same skill tree. The visual/name/description is the same. It only does more damage. This doesnt help the variety in combat.

And the dungeons is generic with here and there some secrets. The amount of puzzles/secrets is laughable so dont expect too much of it. Its more like Diablo 3 in 3d. I found exactly 2 puzzles from level 1 to 25, which btw was the same kind of puzzle and to be found in the same dungeon.

The foundry could save the gameplay so I will give it one more chance a few weeks after launch.

gr0und3d

Apprentice Member

3/20/13 6:36:45 PM#73
Originally posted by Hiron

I agree. I see 2 mayor flaws with NW. Character customization and generic dungeons. Not to mention the limited type of weapons for each class. The skill tree has lots of "copies". I saw a skill which appears 3 times in the same skill tree. The visual/name/description is the same. It only does more damage. This doesnt help the variety in combat.

And the dungeons is generic with here and there some secrets. The amount of puzzles/secrets is laughable so dont expect too much of it. Its more like Diablo 3 in 3d. I found exactly 2 puzzles from level 1 to 25, which btw was the same kind of puzzle and to be found in the same dungeon.

The foundry could save the gameplay so I will give it one more chance a few weeks after launch.

They had the same name/visual/description because it was the same skill being ranked up....

Why are you so infatuated with freaking puzzles?

Hiron

Novice Member

3/20/13 7:08:11 PM#74
Originally posted by gr0und3d

They had the same name/visual/description because it was the same skill being ranked up....

I know its the same skill, but the point still stands. The amount of different skill is thus less that what you see in the skill tree.

Because its the puzzles what differentiates D&D from other dungeon crawler. Its what prevents it from being a zerg rush to the boss. Diablo 3 comes to mind.

After NWN/DDO/BG and other D&D pc games there are some expectations when a game carries the D&D label. And NW isnt what I expected. Some people play for combat (Icewind Dale) Other play for the story(Torment) I play D&D for the dungeons(DDO). Im more of a cerebral kinda dungeons than with enough gear/level/power and you will beat any dungeon guy.

Aerowyn

Novice Member

3/20/13 7:12:30 PM#75
Originally posted by gr0und3d

I know its the same skill, but the point still stands. The amount of different skill is thus less that what you see in the skill tree.

Because its the puzzles what differentiates D&D from other dungeon crawler. Its what prevents it from being a zerg rush to the boss. Diablo 3 comes to mind.

After NWN/DDO/BG and other D&D pc games there are some expectations when a game carries the D&D label. And NW isnt what I expected. Some people play for combat (Icewind Dale) Other play for the story(Torment) I play D&D for the dungeons(DDO). Im more of a cerebral kinda dungeons than with enough gear/level/power and you will beat any dungeon guy.

i have accepted this game is more akin to a 3d diablo set in the forgotten realms world if you can go into it expecting that you probably will enjoy it more

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Hiron

Novice Member

3/20/13 7:19:50 PM#76

i have accepted this game is more akin to a 3d diablo set in the forgotten realms world if you can go into it expecting that you probably will enjoy it more

In that case if you play for the story its still worth it I guess. But if you dont care about the story/lore then there are tons of other games that do better.(Combat, customization, open world etc) Without the D&D setting its just a typical free mmo imo. Thats how I see the game.

You have the foundry to keep you busy. For me...just not my game I guess.

truetitans84

Novice Member

3/20/13 7:36:32 PM#77
Originally posted by Monstre0auS
Originally posted by Ragnarockk
'But here were several showstoppers for me:

1.  When I realized there is no way to make an organized group or raid in the game.  Because of the chaotic reticule nature of the TPS (third person shooter) interface, you can't focus on your tank, can't even lock focus on anything unless you hold down CTRL all the time, so things like Target of Target are impossible, and when I brought that up, it was very nearly ignored.  People simply said "that's the challenge of the interface."

2.  There is no way to zone out of a map at will.

3. if you just quest, you are bored to death. There is one questline, very linear, no side quests almost ever.

4. They are determined to write a "shoot em up" type of game, not a fantasy game.  Chat is filled with players who are unhappy and wishing they had Neverwinter in the hands of people who actually appreciated   a/  fantasy and b/ D&D  and c/ a more familiar point and click interface whre you can tab-target, and every once in a while you get really suspicious statements by people saying "oh this is the best game I've ever played."

Hi there, Ragnarockk!

I just wanna chip in my $0.02 and whilst I thank you for highlighting some of the postives of this game, I wanna address some of your negatives, sorry for the paraphrasing.

Because they are some of the same negatives I'm helping address all over these forums it seems... Which means either people arn't reading others posts about Neverwinter on these forums, or arn't reading my responses to them!

1. The point of this interface is to require some element of skill in the combat. You can't tab target because in doing so, it kind of mitigates your responsibility to be looking at what's going on and actually actively taking a part in it. You mentioned that in your group, it was a bit chaotic? Well, in my opinion you have had a bad group! I've played both beta weekends, clearing the blacklake skirmish, as well as the tower district orc skirmish in both, and running the Cloak Tower in both and never have I had any experience where the group had trouble in doing their roles effectively. Now admittedly, I've played a Guardian both runs, but my close friend played a Cleric to 30 last weekend with me, and this weekend playing the Arcane (Meh, Control) Wiz said he's never seen or had any issues with healing or the like either.

2. Yes, there is. You type /killme and release your spirit to the zones starting campfire. Thus allowing you to leave. Neverwinter doesn't have any death penalties for this as far as I'm aware, so that is that.

3. Devs has stated that side quests and crafting and other such things will be added either at launch, or soon after. We're meant to be beta testing bugs, not playing through the entire content just for our sake of enjoyment.

4. B) Cryptic and WotC have actually worked hand in hand with this game to ensure that it's lore, as well as the details of characters, skills etc, are in-fact very close if not identical to what you'd find in 4ed D&D, so that argument is false. A) I don't see how this setting is not fantasy. If you can point out a single article in game that would be of another setting, modern reality, sci-fi, horror, etc, then please do. If you cannot, then yes, this game is in fact fantasy based. C) Addressed in point 1. I believe.

Probably the best response I have read thus far....The OP sounds like he just wants the games architecture to stay in line with the same tab-target fashion that suits his playing style, and if they refuse to do so, then he will just write it off as poor system development. I have played in both betas and am thoroughly enjoyed the experiences and am highly looking forward to the beta this Friday and launch. The original poster obviously has failed to remember that it is indeed a BETA phase, they aren't going to release all the content at once just so he can play the full game at his leisure. He/She clearly went into the closed beta phase with expectations that were unable to be matched, shame on him/her but not the fault of the game's creators and or product management release team.
  HorrorScope

Advanced Member

3/20/13 7:49:25 PM#78

That's how you do it. The name is just a name, the easiest thing for me to look past.
  Asm0deus

Elite Member

3/20/13 7:50:30 PM#79
Originally posted by AG-Vuk
This is a product by Cryptic, if it weren't for the name , they'd have to pay people to play it. They make mediocre games, why people expect more from them is beyond me. They've relied on getting a hold of a well know IP and exploiting it for what they can.  This is the last big name IP they got a hold of before Atarii sold them . Hopeful they will fade from the consciousness of the gaming world after the release of this.

I would not have agreed before but have to admit it is true now.  Honestly though last few PWE games I have tried have not been much better.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
PSU: Antec EA 750watt
RAM: 2x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
cooling: Noctua NH-D14
storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

Arcona

Apprentice Member

3/20/13 7:55:59 PM#80
Originally posted by truetitans84
Probably the best response I have read thus far....The OP sounds like he just wants the games architecture to stay in line with the same tab-target fashion that suits his playing style, and if they refuse to do so, then he will just write it off as poor system development.

Yeah, those automobiles are so noisy and irritating. Surely they will never replace the horsewagon. I say we grab our pichforks.

No sidequests OP say.  Really? The Foundry will fix that soon after release.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search