Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,816,009 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,215,827
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » Whats your overal score?

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
131 posts found
  User Deleted
3/11/13 10:05:22 AM#81
Originally posted by Iselin
 

You misunderstand. Of course game developers need to and deserve to make money. Bu there are honest ways to ask for that money (i.e. subscriptions) and dishonest ways: "no really you can do everything for free...you don't need to spend a penny!"...give me a break.

But more to the point...saying about a F2P game..."who cares what it's like, it's free!" is just one of the stupidest things someone can say in a forum where people come to discuss the game in detail.

Actually one of the stupidest things someone can say in a forum is to talk about something from a position of authority when in reality they know nothing about it.

You can play from level 1 to level 60 with the 5 classes without having to spend a dime.  You can play all the storyline stuff.  You can play all the foundry stuff.  You can even create foundry stuff once you hit level 15.  

And I said who cares if you (that you being a general you - not directed at one person) like it or not, it's F2P.  That means people can and will try the game out no matter how butt hurt some people are in here because it's not their 'ideal' sense of what the game will be.

  User Deleted
3/11/13 10:16:04 AM#82
Originally posted by Torvaldr
 

I'm curious why the Control Wizard resulted in a poorer play experience for you.  Did it lack in control, damage, too rooted in casting, too squishy, etc.

I think the class needs a lot of polish, but the intro experience and low levels (up to around 20 or so) seemed fairly solid to me.  When the class gets higher level that I see it having problems against mobs that hit harder.  For me it needs a lot of improvement in the control department.  I expect a control class to handle several mobs at once.  This class doesn't do that well at all.

By comparison the devoted cleric feels OP at low levels, but by the time the 30s roll around I end up drinking too many pots for a healer class.

First weekend I was a trickster rogue and that class was a heck of a lot of fun from level 1 to level 30.

I went control wizard to see what it could do.  My issue with the class early on is two things.  One is the lack of a true AoE pre-level 15 that isn't a daily.  You have an encounter, but that seemed to cap at maybe 3 mobs, 4?  couldn't tell how many were actually being affected by that cyclone thing.  Regardless, it didn't slow them down and that's part of the point of a control wizard.  There was plenty of single target things to harass, but nothing that kept any mob out for more than a second.  What this leads to in my experience pre-15 is more of a frantic gameplay of running around spamming abilities and screaming "not in the face!  not in the face!"

That said, you get a push at level 10 which starts to help.  Level 15 you get cloud chill which gives you an AoE damage/slow at will.  At level 17 you get Icy terrain and then the control wizard starts to actually feel like it functions more.

You port in, drop icy terrain, port out.  spam cloud chill and other abilities (I liked the force choke ecounter, followed by the heavy DD ecounter.)  When mobs get close to you, hit tab and push them back to the other edge of the icy terrain again.

Not ideal, but seemed to work better.  Against a single target their wasn't much of an issue.  But around the Orc area, level 12-13 you start to run into real issues from my experience.  The numbers is overwhelming and can be a frustrating experience for a few levels.  It can be enough to make many quit because they have no idea that they will get a couple things that will make it better.

Still, it needs work in my opinion.  My suggestion is to bring the cloud chill at will sooner.  Switch it with that beam thing which I find utterly useless.  I would also pull Icy Terrain earlier.  I would also have a daily actually CC, instead of knockdown/pushback and have that daily CC last more than a second.

edit- They also need to fix that run animation while in combat.  And the finger thing.  My god that finger thing needs to go.

  Alber_gamer

Hard Core Member

Joined: 10/08/12
Posts: 463

3/11/13 10:20:01 AM#83

I think we'd all do ourselves a favor if we stop seeing game companies as big bad cash devouring monsters, and actually tried to put ourselves in their shoes. You say NWO is "cheating" people who paid 200$ for a HotN pack while not even knowing wha the game is about yet. So how do you qualify the companies that offer 10,000$ founder packs through kickstarter campaigns with lures like "design your own item and NPC in the game" and such? And the people that pay it? By the way, do you realize that in NWO everyone can design their own items, NPCs and dungeons in the game, for free?

 

Less hypocrisy, please. There are people that pay 80,000 for a bottle of Champagne, if someone wants to spend 200 in a game so that the rest of us can play it for free, and so it can keep getting developped I applaud them. Companies are interested in profit, and in the case of F2P games, you can't blame them for adding ways to cash in. 

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

  Nekky_Fate

Novice Member

Joined: 8/07/04
Posts: 163

3/11/13 10:31:39 AM#84
Originally posted by Iselin
Originally posted by Nekky_Fate
I played my Divine Cleric to 40 over the weekend and I would score this an 7/10 so far. I am purchasing the $60 Founders pack and have no problem supporting games that would hold my interest for a few months. The Foundry quests I ran were pretty cool, it will be interesting to see what people can do after a while. After around lvl 30 or so the game does start to get a little harder, the last 3 or so dungeons I ran were about 45 minutes each and had some long boss fights.

That's good to hear. I played my Cleric just to level 14 and I felt like my heals were hardly needed at all in dungeons. Good to know that fights get to be long enough for healing to have some use later on.

Definitely, the 30+ dungeons are pretty intense when it comes to healing. We even ran some with 2 Clerics and stayed busy the whole time. I tend to play healers in most games and can say I am enjoying healing in this one.

  Lobotomist

Hard Core Member

Joined: 5/20/07
Posts: 4794

I got so much trouble on my mind Refuse to lose.

3/11/13 10:43:44 AM#85

5/10

Good points : Writting , Forgotten Realms setting , Foundry has potential , Its costs you nothing to play casually

Bad points : Shallow gameplay , Potential to get boring real quick (in fact I was allready bored in 2 days beta) , Not really based on D&D ruiles ( not even 4e ) , very limited skills , mostly instanced , horrible graphic engine.

 

  saiyin

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/17/07
Posts: 12

3/11/13 12:11:35 PM#86
I was very excited about this game but I had to wait till Saturday morning to play it, so I got up real early 6 am and started to play it.  Found out it is the same old wolf in sheep skin. Really nothing original nor really fun.So around 9 am i told my daughter lets go buy a motorcycle, now I am a proud owner of a HD Street Bob. 2/10
  Iselin

The Listener

Joined: 3/04/08
Posts: 3769

3/11/13 12:20:00 PM#87
Originally posted by jdnyc
Originally posted by Iselin
 

You misunderstand. Of course game developers need to and deserve to make money. Bu there are honest ways to ask for that money (i.e. subscriptions) and dishonest ways: "no really you can do everything for free...you don't need to spend a penny!"...give me a break.

But more to the point...saying about a F2P game..."who cares what it's like, it's free!" is just one of the stupidest things someone can say in a forum where people come to discuss the game in detail.

Actually one of the stupidest things someone can say in a forum is to talk about something from a position of authority when in reality they know nothing about it.

You can play from level 1 to level 60 with the 5 classes without having to spend a dime.  You can play all the storyline stuff.  You can play all the foundry stuff.  You can even create foundry stuff once you hit level 15.  

And I said who cares if you (that you being a general you - not directed at one person) like it or not, it's F2P.  That means people can and will try the game out no matter how butt hurt some people are in here because it's not their 'ideal' sense of what the game will be.

Look genius, F2P isn't free from revenue. Otherwise no one would make them. Where do you think the revenue will come from? The MMO fairy? To say the least, calling it "free" or emphasizing the unlikely possibility of playing it without spending a dime is just advertising PR...it's the come'on, the hook.

You may consider yourself to be the ultimate player who will never spend a dime in the game. Good luck with that.

  Maephisto

Novice Member

Joined: 2/15/12
Posts: 653

3/11/13 12:24:54 PM#88

Wait....

There is no such thing as an MMO Fairy?

  Lawlmonster

Apprentice Member

Joined: 10/07/09
Posts: 944

Take my advice, I'm not using it anyway.

3/11/13 12:26:21 PM#89
There isn't much for me to like about this game. It's too linear, too themepark, too F2P, and those are all of the attributes I dislike in MMO's. That it's another Cryptic game doesn't sit well with me either, and I'll admit that I'm still holding their most recent work against them (I was a fan of CoH, however). I'm not saying that I was anticipating this to be a game I'd enjoy, because it obviously wasn't designed for my audience, but aside from being aesthetically pleasing, using an IP I've come to enjoy, and including the Foundry tool, which I think could be responsible for some legitimately interesting content, I couldn't possibly rate this beyond a 5 of 10. For a dude who prefers non-linear, emergent-story, sandboxy virtual worlds, I'd even go so far as to say it's below average, but that's to be expected, right?

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

  Iselin

The Listener

Joined: 3/04/08
Posts: 3769

3/11/13 12:33:20 PM#90
Originally posted by Maephisto

Wait....

There is no such thing as an MMO Fairy?

Err...Ummm...Oh dear. Did I say that? I said that the MMO fairy wouldn't be paying for it. Not saying she doesn't exists...yeah... Yes Maephisto, there is an MMO fairy.

  Jyiiga

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/03/10
Posts: 1016

3/11/13 1:16:46 PM#91
The meat and potatoes is the Foundry. Until then, I don't think anyone should be giving a final score. 
  fledur

Hard Core Member

Joined: 9/06/08
Posts: 75

3/11/13 1:34:14 PM#92

Bugs and glitches aside:

 

Pros: good combat, good animations, nice environment graphics, clean and intuitive UI, leveling seems fine tuned, difficulty ramps up well as you level.

 

Cons: very linear (not only on quest design but level design and zone design too), poor mob AI, unbelievable bad and dated character graphics, very limited class customization, low gear diversity.

 

To me this game feels like 6/10 or something like that. It has a lot of potential, specially if the devs add more classes, improve the character customization and overall look and OPEN UP THE WORLD (this might be a left over from the times when this game was not a MMO).

 

My 2c.

  User Deleted
3/11/13 1:35:02 PM#93
Originally posted by Iselin
 

Look genius, F2P isn't free from revenue. Otherwise no one would make them. Where do you think the revenue will come from? The MMO fairy? To say the least, calling it "free" or emphasizing the unlikely possibility of playing it without spending a dime is just advertising PR...it's the come'on, the hook.

You may consider yourself to be the ultimate player who will never spend a dime in the game. Good luck with that.

Really?  Because it's a game.  You play as much as you want.  If you have to pay to continue playing, then stop playing.  This is more about entitlement of wanting things that other people pay for, but you can't or unwilling to do so. 

The revenue comes from making a great game that people will want to spend money on.  People already have and more will come release.  

I really love how you act like you're forced to spend money on something because you're not.  It's all a choice.

 

  Hiron

Novice Member

Joined: 3/11/13
Posts: 49

3/11/13 1:39:16 PM#94

This is just borderline 6 because its almost bugfree and I had fun with the combat. It keeps you active and position is important. Also from time to time you get a journal with lore. I really like that. The story of the mainquest is interesting, it makes me want to finish the chain quest for the story. And the environment is quite beatiful in the city. But sadly those are the only positive things I can say about this game.

Rest of the game is generic and linear as f*ck. Its just a rollercoaster of "Go to this maps kill some mobs, go into dungeon kill the boss, go back to map kill some more mobs and repeat". There is no left or right just straight forward. No depth at all. I read something about lots/most of sidequest were left out of the beta. Can someone confirm this?

I kinda miss the open world for freedom. To be honest I wouldnt give a fuck about the linear questing and open world if the dungeon werent so bland and generic. I play a D&D game because of the (well designed) dungeons. This is where the game fails me the most. EVERY dungeon is the same. Like someone said, its corridor+room+corridor+room+boss. Paste other texture on the wall en replace the minions and you have dungeon 2,3,4 etc. There is no dungeon design at all. The amount of puzzle in a dungeons is non existant.

You can say what you want but the dungeon design in DDO is top notch. For example: the party is split in 2 groups. Group 1 tries to survive waves of skellies and group 2 is solving puzzle so the door opens for group 1. Traps actually hurts so you dont want to trigger any of it. Groundfloor that makes you fall into a pit with a giant scorpion if you are not careful. Or a dungeon underwater maze where you need a spell or helm of waterbreathing. Never heard of it in NW.

Im just missing overal complexity/depth and creative dungeon designs. Also add more classes please. Very limited character costumization+low amount of classes is just asking for  problems.

If they can up the amount of sidequests, give more options for class creation or add more classes, change the boring dungeon design(low chance they will) then I will be more than happy to purchase a pack.

I hope creative players will show the developers how to design a dungeon. I managed to ding at 25. If the game wasnt D&D I would have stopped at 10-15 and wouldnt have cared. I had such high hopes for the game.

 

 

 

 

 

  User Deleted
3/11/13 1:41:49 PM#95
Originally posted by Hiron

This is just borderline 6 because its almost bugfree and I had fun with the combat. It keeps you active and position is important. Also from time to time you get a journal with lore. I really like that. The story of the mainquest is interesting, it makes me want to finish the chain quest for the story. But sadly those are the only positive things I can say about this game.

Rest of the game is generic and linear as f*ck. Its just a rollercoaster of "Go to this maps kill some mobs, go into dungeon kill the boss, go back to map kill some more mobs and repeat". There is no left or right just straight forward. No depth at all. I read something about lots/most of sidequest were left out of the beta. Can someone confirm this?

I kinda miss the open world for freedom. To be honest I wouldnt give a fuck about the linear questing and open world if the dungeon werent so bland and generic. I play a D&D game because of the (well designed) dungeons. This is where the game fails me the most. EVERY dungeon is the same. Like someone said, its corridor+room+corridor+room+boss. Paste other texture on the wall en replace the minions and you have dungeon 2,3,4 etc. There is no dungeon design at all. The amount of puzzle in a dungeons is non existant.

You can say what you want but the dungeon design in DDO is top notch. For example: the party is split in 2 groups. Group 1 tries to survive waves of skellies and group 2 is solving puzzle so the door opens for group 1. Traps actually hurts so you dont want to trigger any of it. Groundfloor that makes you fall into a pit with a giant scorpion if you are not careful. Or a dungeon underwater maze where you need a spell or helm of waterbreathing. Never heard of it in NW.

Im just missing overal complexity/depth and creative dungeon designs. Also add more classes please. Very limited character creation freedom+low amount of classes is just asking for  problems.

If they can up the amount of sidequests, give more options for class creation or add more classes, change the boring dungeon design(low chance they will) then I will be more than happy to purchase a pack.

I hope creative players will show the developers how to design a dungeon. I managed to ding at 25. If the game wasnt a D&D game I would have stopped at 10-15 and wouldnt have cared. I had such high hopes for the game.

Dude, just make your own dungeon(s) come release.  Something you can't do in DDO.

  Darth-Batman

Hard Core Member

Joined: 5/26/05
Posts: 711

Bruce, I am your father.

3/11/13 1:47:12 PM#96
I rate it a 7.5 because I feel it stays pretty true to the original neverwinter nights I used to play so much of, but thats what I was hoping for as far as this title goes. I want to mess with the Foundery though.
  Dragonfish

Novice Member

Joined: 12/07/09
Posts: 12

3/11/13 1:58:34 PM#97
If you haven't tried the user created content yet, you are doing yourself a disservice. I played through The Dweomerkeepers http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=835291 in the foundry and it was FAR better than the content Cryptic made. This is really where this game shines, letting the fans tell stories. On a side note, they really need to change the at rest stance of the control wizard. That just looks rediculous.
  Torvaldr

Elite Member

Joined: 6/10/09
Posts: 5632

3/11/13 2:48:25 PM#98
Originally posted by jdnyc

First weekend I was a trickster rogue and that class was a heck of a lot of fun from level 1 to level 30.

I went control wizard to see what it could do.  My issue with the class early on is two things.  One is the lack of a true AoE pre-level 15 that isn't a daily.  You have an encounter, but that seemed to cap at maybe 3 mobs, 4?  couldn't tell how many were actually being affected by that cyclone thing.  Regardless, it didn't slow them down and that's part of the point of a control wizard.  There was plenty of single target things to harass, but nothing that kept any mob out for more than a second.  What this leads to in my experience pre-15 is more of a frantic gameplay of running around spamming abilities and screaming "not in the face!  not in the face!"

That said, you get a push at level 10 which starts to help.  Level 15 you get cloud chill which gives you an AoE damage/slow at will.  At level 17 you get Icy terrain and then the control wizard starts to actually feel like it functions more.

You port in, drop icy terrain, port out.  spam cloud chill and other abilities (I liked the force choke ecounter, followed by the heavy DD ecounter.)  When mobs get close to you, hit tab and push them back to the other edge of the icy terrain again.

Not ideal, but seemed to work better.  Against a single target their wasn't much of an issue.  But around the Orc area, level 12-13 you start to run into real issues from my experience.  The numbers is overwhelming and can be a frustrating experience for a few levels.  It can be enough to make many quit because they have no idea that they will get a couple things that will make it better.

Still, it needs work in my opinion.  My suggestion is to bring the cloud chill at will sooner.  Switch it with that beam thing which I find utterly useless.  I would also pull Icy Terrain earlier.  I would also have a daily actually CC, instead of knockdown/pushback and have that daily CC last more than a second.

edit- They also need to fix that run animation while in combat.  And the finger thing.  My god that finger thing needs to go.

Yeah, good points.  The CW needs more control and like you said, ST damage isn't a problem, but I think of a control class being able to deal with many mobs at a time which this class has a hard time doing.

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

  Asm0deus

Hard Core Member

Joined: 9/06/10
Posts: 790

3/11/13 3:45:06 PM#99

5/10

 They got the MMO side ok even though I don't like the rooting and some other choices they have made BUT they lose out on 5 pts becuase they didn't get the DnD part right at all.

If they had added all the major gods as choices at character creation I would have gave it a 6/10. They just removed and restricted what 4E allows too much for a higher score IMO.

 

I  think they would have gotten much better reviews if they had simply left the DnD license out of the picture.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
PSU: Antec EA 750watt
RAM: 2x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
cooling: Noctua NH-D14
storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

  Icewhite

Made History

Joined: 7/11/11
Posts: 6495

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

3/11/13 3:53:49 PM#100

Me? I'm a ten, baybee, wanna see my etchings? :pervy leer:

The game? Oh, no clue, haven't seen it.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search