Trending Games | Landmark | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Camelot Unchained | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,529 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,309,901
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » Rooted in place

11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
207 posts found
  Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

OP  3/08/13 4:55:54 PM#1

I saw. Cleric video and the player was complaining thatwith every spell he casted, he w unable to move and rooted on the spot.  That sounds just plain stupid for an action based combat system, doesnt it?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Zaltark

Advanced Member

3/08/13 5:17:20 PM#2

I downloaded and played today. Its true. I have a mage(like 98% of population), and YES if you auto attack or use a spell you literally cannot move your character any direction until the animation is done. Its like Tera, only 1000000% worse. Nothing near GW2. Tera is much smoother aswell.

(Its to the point Ive pretty much refused to continue the beta). Atleast in WoW you can move to cancel a spell animation. Not possible in this. Heck Id even have to say DDO is MUCH better in the way you can freely move and cast spells. This is like backwards.

Aerowyn

Novice Member

3/08/13 5:22:01 PM#3
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I saw. Cleric video and the player was complaining thatwith every spell he casted, he w unable to move and rooted on the spot.  That sounds just plain stupid for an action based combat system, doesnt it?

yes it is dumb imho no matter how people want to defend it for balancing and such.. i hate "hard" rooting in action games as it feels horrible when combat is supposed to be fast paced.. the flow between spells feels off and just not fluid at all.. cleric honestly isn't horrible to me but i can't play the wizard.. i enjoy the melee(especially rogue) so ill just stick with melee classes in this game I guess

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

waynejr2

Elite Member

RIP City of Heroes!

3/08/13 5:24:28 PM#4
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

That would be like calling a favor of ice cream you don't like stupid.  Look if you don't like it move rather than report "other people" crying about it.   I blame the ADHD crowd who can't sit still for a second.

I think it is fine and not a contradiction.  It's the wacky believe about how "action based combat systems" MUST BE that causes the problem. 

grafh

Novice Member

3/08/13 5:28:30 PM#5
 I like the old school mage play style. Its part of being a mage. Some spells are instant cast thats fine, so a mage should be able to move during those, but anything thats not.... your stuck buddy
  Aerowyn

Novice Member

3/08/13 5:32:13 PM#6
Originally posted by grafh
 I like the old school mage play style. Its part of being a mage. Some spells are instant cast thats fine, so a mage should be able to move during those, but anything thats not.... your stuck buddy

which i don't mind in slower paced games but in faster paced games it feels out of place to me.. I wouldn't even mind if it was a slow walk when channeling or casting but a hard root just feels off and when seeing how well the melee characters skills flow between one another then playing a wizard it just feels all kinds of wrong in how it looks and feels.. but i have this issue with any action games that does this like tera, diablo style games ect ect...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

DeniZg

Hard Core Member

3/08/13 5:35:30 PM#7

I've played Wizard to lvl5 and it feels very entertaining. Rooted combat is not bad actually, since you can dodge a lot.

Since most of the time you are fighting several mobs, and dodging them effectively, to me, combat feels something between SWTOR and GW2. Personally, I like it.

Additionally, combat feels rewarding on all classes, which is something I couldn't say for GW2.

In general, game seems packed with features (AH, LFG tool, Events, Arena PVP etc.). Since players  will take care of content via foundry, I'm very optimistic about the future of NWO.

Sovrath

Elite Member

3/08/13 5:37:22 PM#8
Well, not to me but to each his/her own.
  ranncore

Novice Member

3/08/13 5:38:47 PM#9

I like it a lot better than seeing pepole jump/swing/spin at the same time. 

lrn2dodge

Aerowyn

Novice Member

3/08/13 6:00:49 PM#10
Originally posted by ranncore

I like it a lot better than seeing pepole jump/swing/spin at the same time. 

lrn2dodge

you could still allow slow movement and not allow jumping.. maybe cut movement speed by 50-75% while casting/channeling spells.. would do wonders imho.. 

Isawa

Novice Member

3/08/13 6:15:09 PM#11

Other than this being old news (from a video possibly over a month ago), I also find it amusing that this thread is based on something the OP saw, instead of actually played :) I thought it was easy to get into beta weekends by now to try the game out yourself. Maybe some restriction based on where you live?

I only played cleric for a few levels, but for the shield fighter, your character steps into his swings/bashes and your combat has minimal movement, or quite a bit if you charge, based on what skills you're using.

Elikal

Spotlight Poster

“No path is darker then when your eyes are shut.” -Flemeth

3/08/13 6:33:21 PM#12
I must admit I am spoiled by the movement combat of GW2. Now going back to "old school" rooted combat feels... weird. Like being hindered or what. I really began to get used to the movement-combat of GW2 and actually like that as action combat.

A forum is a place where people can discuss about different opinions. So what I don't get is, how people react offended when they come to a forum and then find... well different opinions. If a different opinion offends you, what are you even doing here?

Aerowyn

Novice Member

3/08/13 6:39:43 PM#13
Originally posted by Elikal
I must admit I am spoiled by the movement combat of GW2. Now going back to "old school" rooted combat feels... weird. Like being hindered or what. I really began to get used to the movement-combat of GW2 and actually like that as action combat.

agreed although melee in neverwinter is pretty fun imho

RizelStar

Novice Member

We all breathe and we all die.

3/08/13 6:48:42 PM#14

Well most arguements is that being rooted allows far more strategy somehow, though to me that's highly subjjective.

It's weird to me though games like Ninja Gaiden an other console action games are rooted as well but it's far more noticeable in MMOs. I find it distubring sometimes, and it's even more apperant after coming from GW2 to play MMOs like that, not that GW2 combat is ZOMG BEST EVER, but it's just got a feel foe [me] that is much more fun.

Though I think it's the time one is being rooted, it's not long in games like Ascension and Devil May Cry, though I could notice it with Tera, like you dodge but stop somehow lol.

I will say in some whats that can be used for strategy but not my thing.

Take note I'm not saying it's terrible nor am I saying it shouldn't be there, just it's not fun to me in MMOs.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Aerowyn

Novice Member

3/08/13 7:20:49 PM#15
Originally posted by RizelStar

Well most arguements is that being rooted allows far more strategy somehow, though to me that's highly subjjective.

It's weird to me though games like Ninja Gaiden an other console action games are rooted as well but it's far more noticeable in MMOs. I find it distubring sometimes, and it's even more apperant after coming from GW2 to play MMOs like that, not that GW2 combat is ZOMG BEST EVER, but it's just got a feel foe [me] that is much more fun.

Though I think it's the time one is being rooted, it's not long in games like Ascension and Devil May Cry, though I could notice it with Tera, like you dodge but stop somehow lol.

I will say in some whats that can be used for strategy but not my thing.

Take note I'm not saying it's terrible nor am I saying it shouldn't be there, just it's not fun to me in MMOs.

think its the speed mostly.. with games like dmc and ninja gaiden the transition from skill to skill is so fast you can hardly notice it at all.. this isn't the case in games like this one and tera. This causes a noticable delay and makes the whole animation sequence feel off and clumsy to me when transitioning between abilities...

Alber_gamer

Advanced Member

3/08/13 10:26:52 PM#16

I believe it's also a matter of balance. I can't even begin to imagine how many extra levels of OP would have the Control Wizard and the Devoted Cleric if they could just prance about as they shoot their spells around, both in PvE and PvP. Being a ranged class has many advantages, so being rooted for half a second when you cast a spell is a necessary balancing tradeoff. 

It's the same in most classic mmo's, where melee can move freely along the hit boxes of the enemies, while casters have to find someplace safe to stand and cast. I am personally playing a Devoted Cleric and I'm not having any issue with it, but that's my own taste anyway. And as if the Cleric wasn't overpowered already, I don't even want to imagine how ridiculously overpowered would be if I could move while casting.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

fiontar

Advanced Member

3/08/13 10:37:35 PM#17

Well, this is the first big title since the release of GW2 I was interested in checking out.

Rooted combat? Are they daft?

Scrath this game from the list. I can never, ever go back to rooted combat. In fact, that there are still a fee GW2 skills that root you has recently started to drive me nuts.

Neverwinter devs, time to join the 21st century. Rooted skill use in an MMO is now completely unacceptable. Completely. You are literally throwing all your development time and money out the window with one dumb decision.

Unreal.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

fiontar

Advanced Member

3/08/13 10:39:28 PM#18
Originally posted by Alber_gamer

I believe it's also a matter of balance. I can't even begin to imagine how many extra levels of OP would have the Control Wizard and the Devoted Cleric if they could just prance about as they shoot their spells around, both in PvE and PvP. Being a ranged class has many advantages, so being rooted for half a second when you cast a spell is a necessary balancing tradeoff. 

It's the same in most classic mmo's, where melee can move freely along the hit boxes of the enemies, while casters have to find someplace safe to stand and cast. I am personally playing a Devoted Cleric and I'm not having any issue with it, but that's my own taste anyway. And as if the Cleric wasn't overpowered already, I don't even want to imagine how ridiculously overpowered would be if I could move while casting.

If the developers need rooted combat to "balance" an MMO, they really have no business working in the genre.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Aerowyn

Novice Member

3/08/13 10:42:48 PM#19

it doesn't need to be full movement to feel more fluid though.. they could make it so you can't jump and your speed is reduced 50-75% while casting/channeling just doing that would do wonders to the overall feel imho

Alber_gamer

Advanced Member

3/08/13 10:44:22 PM#20
Originally posted by fiontar

If the developers need rooted combat to "balance" an MMO, they really have no business working in the genre.

Yeah, like in WoW casters can't move while casting since day one to present. In fact, one of the casting classes has a cooldown ability that allows them to cast while moving for a short time (shamans), so it's pretty clear that the rooting is used as a balancing factor.

But yeah, since WoW uses rooting while casting, that game really has no business in the genre. 

Oh wait.

You might want to try again with another argument.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search