Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | Trove | Darkest Dungeon

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,774,047 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,187,912
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » Without breaking any NDA, can somebody explain what they like most about the dungeon creator tool?

8 posts found
  MMOExposed

Spotlight Poster

OP  3/04/13 12:46:17 AM#1

Without breaking any NDA, can somebody explain what they like most about the dungeon creator tool?

I cant remember the last time I played around with something like this before.

Really has me interested.

gillrmn

Apprentice Member

3/07/13 9:26:40 AM#2

The ability to make completely non-linear quests and campaigns (aka sandbox quests) with posible branching in storyline.

It takes a while to realize how to do it though and is not easy - but this ability lets you create any PnP campaign you might come across, as you come across.

So unlike other games, you can make it so that there are tons of NPC which trigger tons of sub-quests and doing X amount of subquests in Y amount of ways.

Alber_gamer

Hard Core Member

3/07/13 1:00:39 PM#3
The Foundry is the key feature of this game. As long as the game engine works and combat is not dull (and honestly, combat is a blast), the Foundry will do the rest. The possibilities are nearly endless.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

olepi

Advanced Member

3/07/13 1:04:21 PM#4

In the Ryzom Ring, you could create a scenario, populate it with NPC's, treasure, etc, and then publish it in the game so others could play it.

You had a choice: you could either be invisible, and watch other players in your scenario; or, you could be visible and play with them in it. Is the Foundry like this?

------------
RIP City of Heroes. One of my favorite MMO's.

gillrmn

Apprentice Member

3/07/13 1:15:33 PM#5

In short, answer is NO.

You can run with others by creating NPC and talking to them, running away from fights etc., leaving their party after only a part is done. However, foundry is a content creation tool, not a Dungeon Master tool.

It is used to design the maps. Think of it as someone piled up Legos and created rooms and another one filled it up with NPC miniatures and small sheets under the miniatures about what to do if you visit there.

And think yourself of as an author and not dungeon master.

olepi

Advanced Member

3/07/13 1:53:49 PM#6
Originally posted by gillrmn

In short, answer is NO.

You can run with others by creating NPC and talking to them, running away from fights etc., leaving their party after only a part is done. However, foundry is a content creation tool, not a Dungeon Master tool.

It is used to design the maps. Think of it as someone piled up Legos and created rooms and another one filled it up with NPC miniatures and small sheets under the miniatures about what to do if you visit there.

And think yourself of as an author and not dungeon master.

Kind of a shame. One of the best times I've ever had in an MMO was being the invisible DM and watching people play my scenarios. I usually made it so that there were several different ways to complete the missions (take the item by force, or do some side quests to gain the item, etc), and it was fun following people around to see how they solved them.

------------
RIP City of Heroes. One of my favorite MMO's.

gillrmn

Apprentice Member

3/07/13 2:36:14 PM#7

I can understand you. I also enjoy changing stuff on the fly. It brings in originality.

However, when you think of foundry, think of yourself as an author. Like a person writing a campaign for Dungeon Magazine. That is why they call it UGC(User generated content) and call its users "authors".

So if such DM feature is added later, it still would be completely seperate from UGC. Authors will create campaigns and other DM will run it with GM like powers.

However I doubt DM like feature will ever be added to the game.

Aerowyn

Novice Member

3/07/13 3:13:57 PM#8
there's actually an amazing amount of flexability with the foundry as you can see tiny bit from the PAX video.. the main issue is not what can you create but how do i create it.. often times you need to do several work arounds to get something working how you want but usually more often than not it can be done in some form or fashion.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg