Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,869,908 Users Online:0
Games:744  Posts:6,253,199
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » The Cyan Firefly beta Videos

15 posts found
  Aerowyn

Novice Member

OP  3/03/13 9:53:53 AM#1

I was looking around for some videos to show my friends and come across this guys series.. figured i would post it here as some may be interested.. obviously all from beta and subject to change

Character Creation

Combat

Economy

Companions

Dungeons

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

bcbully

Hard Core Member

3/03/13 10:13:10 AM#2
Just watched the economy video. At the end he say there is a auction house. My question is do you spend astral diamonds in the auction house or the npc coins he showed ealier? If not is there a astral diamond to npc currency conversion?

When I eat chocolate chip pie it just doesn't feel like chocolate chip cookies. The texture, the consistency, it's just not the same and this is disappointing.

bcbully

Hard Core Member

3/03/13 10:20:28 AM#3
Just watched the combat video. By next year we will be down to 1 button...

When I eat chocolate chip pie it just doesn't feel like chocolate chip cookies. The texture, the consistency, it's just not the same and this is disappointing.

Aerowyn

Novice Member

OP  3/03/13 10:20:51 AM#4
Originally posted by bcbully
Just watched the economy video. At the end he say there is a auction house. My question is do you spend astral diamonds in the auction house or the npc coins he showed ealier? If not is there a astral diamond to npc currency conversion?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/11/first-impressions-of-neverwinter-beta/

"Currency is interesting and reminds me a bit of Guild Wars 2. You can buy ZEN from the Neverwinter site and use it to buy items in the ZEN store or trade for Astral Diamonds, which can be used in the auction house. You can also refine Rough Astral Diamonds found in the game into regular spendable Astral Diamonds. There's also normal gold-based in-game currency for purchasing items from NPCs, and then there's Glory, which is earned in PvP and spent on special gear. There are also Ardent and Celestial tokens that are earned as you gain the favor of the gods by praying at altars. These tokens can be used to purchase consumables and collectibles that can be traded for high-end gear."

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Aerowyn

Novice Member

OP  3/03/13 10:25:47 AM#5

it's similar setup to diablo 3 in a way.. for me i'm starting to lean towards having less but more interesting skills.. having 100 skills to choose from is fine but if half are very similar mechanics/looks or don't offer much variety at all i find it somewhat pointless

bcbully

Hard Core Member

3/03/13 10:27:08 AM#6
Originally posted by Aerowyn

"Currency is interesting and reminds me a bit of Guild Wars 2. You can buy ZEN from the Neverwinter site and use it to buy items in the ZEN store or trade for Astral Diamonds, which can be used in the auction house. You can also refine Rough Astral Diamonds found in the game into regular spendable Astral Diamonds. There's also normal gold-based in-game currency for purchasing items from NPCs, and then there's Glory, which is earned in PvP and spent on special gear. There are also Ardent and Celestial tokens that are earned as you gain the favor of the gods by praying at altars. These tokens can be used to purchase consumables and collectibles that can be traded for high-end gear."

Geez that's a lot of currency :) It looks like astral diamonds is the currency traded between players. Can you trade coins in the traditional sense with players, or just astral diamonds?

bcbully

Hard Core Member

3/03/13 10:27:55 AM#7

it's similar setup to diablo 3 in a way.. for me i'm starting to lean towards having less but more interesting skills.. having 100 skills to choose from is fine but if half are very similar mechanics/looks or don't offer much variety at all i find it somewhat pointless

I want 100 unique skills per toon! ;)

Aerowyn

Novice Member

OP  3/03/13 10:39:21 AM#8

Geez that's a lot of currency :) It looks like astral diamonds is the currency traded between players. Can you trade coins in the traditional sense with players, or just astral diamonds?

not sure haven't really done much with currency in this game yet

tokini

Apprentice Member

3/03/13 12:49:28 PM#9

Ability X (tooltip):

"if within 5 meters, slash for x damage"

"if between 6-30 meters, shoot arrow for x damage"

"if target is friendly, heal for x amount"

"hold shift to dodge"

sadly sounds about right

Shana77

Hard Core Member

3/03/13 12:55:27 PM#10

The combat in this game is great. Don't compare it with everquest, just as you shouldn't compare a ferrari to a boeing 747. See this game rather as a 3D incarnation of Diablo, in such light you will suddenly understand the gem that is hidden in its combat system. 

Furthermore i played a guardian fighter in the beta and i have to say i found tanking on it infinetly more interesting then on many other tanks i've played including the tanks i've played in EQ2, WoW and Rift. The ability to deflect incoming attackts directly by moving your shield your shield in the right direction (instead  just shielding because of random numbers game) makes tanking a lot more gritty and realistic feeling. 

coretex666

Advanced Member

"I shall take your position into consideration"

3/03/13 2:04:41 PM#11
Originally posted by Shana77

The combat in this game is great. Don't compare it with everquest, just as you shouldn't compare a ferrari to a boeing 747. See this game rather as a 3D incarnation of Diablo, in such light you will suddenly understand the gem that is hidden in its combat system. 

Furthermore i played a guardian fighter in the beta and i have to say i found tanking on it infinetly more interesting then on many other tanks i've played including the tanks i've played in EQ2, WoW and Rift. The ability to deflect incoming attackts directly by moving your shield your shield in the right direction (instead  just shielding because of random numbers game) makes tanking a lot more gritty and realistic feeling. 

This sounds nice

Currently playing: L2 Chronicle 4

Aerowyn

Novice Member

OP  3/03/13 2:07:15 PM#12
Originally posted by coretex666
Originally posted by Shana77

This sounds nice

it works well.. you have a button(you can set to whatever you want) that brings your shield up then you just move your mouse in the direction you want to block 

DeniZg

Elite Member

3/03/13 3:25:49 PM#13
Nice videos. Thanks OP!
  Dreamo84

Defender of Worlds

I actually still like MMORPGs

3/04/13 12:42:30 AM#14

Too many skills, especially for Non magical melee classes you end up just having a lot of stupid temporary buffs and procs and just really annoying stuff that doesn't add anything fun to the experience.

See Jedi Knights in SWTOR if you don't believe me. I actually hated leveling up because I didn't want more skills!

User Deleted
3/04/13 6:07:04 PM#15

The economy is going to be the best in this game I can tell. There are some problems with STO's economies which are rumored to be repaired in STO's season 8 release at the end of this month, if this is the case then it's the best in game economy I've ever seen in any game.

Love games where in game currencies can be turned into the store currencies and where gameplay is the only requirement to get what you like to have on your characters. LOTRO was like this but not to this degree this is awesome! Can think of quite a few games that can learn from this example (*cough* GW2 *cough*)

I love how they have coins for keys for the RNG chests, that became a real big thing, people were dumping too much money and not getting anything in those so I guess in this way they'll eliminate the problem, they just use the coins they get to get the RNG items. 

I love using the altar daily too that was a nice touch. And instead of an 8k limit like they did for refining in STO it looks like they upped it a bit for diamonds to make it easier to refine to do upgrades, STO was kinda slow in that because of the daily limit. Looks good looks good.