Trending Games | Trove | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | Darkest Dungeon

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,768,806 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,186,811
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » NWN was a CORPG, then PW turned it into a MMORPG: what do they mean by that, or is that just marketing talk?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
33 posts found
  demonbox

Advanced Member

12/02/11 11:57:44 AM#21
Originally posted by chelan

i will probably login to see what they've 'done with the place' visually, but ive played the 4.0 ruleset and whlie it's perfect for a WoW style mmo, it just doesn't have the diversity and potential of the 3.5 rules.

considering 3/3.5 were the dumbed down version of AD&D...

what's good of PnP roleplayin games thou is that you can easily change their stupid rules to your taste (or ignore them at all), sadly (but for a good reason) that doesn't work for CRPG/MMORPGs

Asm0deus

Elite Member

1/19/12 1:05:09 AM#22

I have one question.

Where was it ever mentioned that this was indeed Neverwinter NIGHTS 3 ?

As far as i can tell it was always Neverwinter ONLINE,  i dont see the NIGHTS part.

I think people just assumed it was NWN 3 when it never was .

Just because something has Neverwinter in its title does not mean its a continuation of NWN 1 & 2.

I dont get how people can overlook this SIMPLE fact, unless im mistaken and the company actually said it was NWN3, if so give me a link !

case: Coolermaster HAF932
PSU: Antec EA 750watt
RAM: 2x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
cooling: Noctua NH-D14
storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

sschrupp

Hard Core Member

I am I think?

1/19/12 1:48:21 PM#23
Originally posted by Asm0deus

I have one question.

As far as i can tell it was always Neverwinter ONLINE,  i dont see the NIGHTS part.

Just because something has Neverwinter in its title does not mean its a continuation of NWN 1 & 2.

I dont get how people can overlook this SIMPLE fact, unless im mistaken and the company actually said it was NWN3, if so give me a link !

I have a feeling people are saying NWN out of habit instead of saying NW. Nobody in this thread has actually suggested this is Neverwinter Nights 3 have they?

Insert random misqoute here

Asm0deus

Elite Member

1/19/12 10:00:03 PM#24
Originally posted by sschrupp

I have one question.

I have a feeling people are saying NWN out of habit instead of saying NW. Nobody in this thread has actually suggested this is Neverwinter Nights 3 have they?

They do by comparing it to NWN

For example the OP:

"NWN was designed to be a CORPG, yet later on in the development, PW joined in and converted it over to a true MMO.

You can see this kind of thing in various posts where poeple are trying to judge this game for being different from the NWN series.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
PSU: Antec EA 750watt
RAM: 2x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
cooling: Noctua NH-D14
storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

Jumdor

Novice Member

Triforce of Wisdom: "Orderly ways do not make one brave, and neatness does not a kingdom save."

1/25/12 11:44:48 PM#25

Neverwinter = After the spell plague basicly corrupted or wiped the known world of 3.5 ruleset (The setting for NWN). 4th Edition D&D is what set about with this new story arc towards a complete overhaul of the Neverwinter Nights story line Basicly taking Nights out of the title.

I call it a story arc because Nights merely denotes the tales of that period in it's history. It is just the name given that story arc. How much like a book titled Nights in Harlem. Harlem being the city, Nights being just a point of reference that things are wilder in that city at night or that many adventures burst forth within the dark covers of the moon and stars if you could see them through the smog. This is opinion but I think it makes sense for the most part.

Neverwinter falls into 4th edition. Where things are all flipped around and chaotic in this once familiar city. From plagues to, riots, and mass hysteria. Corruption and magical monstrosities abound now. New evils arise to meet the sun and from the ashes come what's left of the small points of light in the world = yours, mine, and our heroes. Forged from the destruction to be tougher bolder and all that advertising style fluff they like to throw around. Simply put the place is crazy enough now night or day it's supposed to be wilder. *stretch + yawn* 

*Personally: Their advertizments seem a bit rushed and didn't really bother to get some decent voice actors like Bioware did back in the day for NWN. Neverwinter seems like something they flash in your face that should be a tasty bit of action adventure when it's a microwave dinner that's been sitting in the fridge too long. I can't say too much though I'm still going to check it out, but I always didn't mind a little freezer burn on my food. Don't think I'll pay for half assed food nuked though. I stopped doing that when our Burger King started doing it. If I want something nuked I'll make it myself. 

Funny enough I don't have much interest in 4th edition because they style it with all the pretty colors and WoW'ed it up. Yes I know I used WoW as a point of reference. You'll have to forgive me, but that is exactly what they drew from for inspiration or the lack there of. 4E as it is favorably called took on a style of play that resembled the most popular thing of that time World of Warcraft unfortunately and threw away classic styling for fantasy. Hey they are still making money more power to them. I just find it funny that to style a game so much on popular MMOs then to have such a bad habit of hiring people who don't know how to effectively pitch or create them also that do not seem to care all that much. Kind of runs along the same lines af every movie Wizards (a.k.a. D&D) has ever atempted.

Example of 4E being WoW inspired: When you take the Pen and Paper game and make it balanced to where all classes can heal in some way or another and throw in wildly massive weapons and toonish looking size shoulder pads. Not to mention almost every option operating the same as an attack. That is the part I am talking about, as I said more power to them. I don't discourage playing it if that is what you like. I mainly added that so players of 4E would know I got no hate. Just a personal taste toward that style that I don't prefer.

If you still get uppity over my opinion then all I can suggest is please take a chill pill as life will throw many opinions your way that don't amount to piss in an old shoe along the highway. Easily forgotten and wouldn't even garner your attention other than you stuck your foot in it by chance hoping for a free shoe instead having your dreams dashed by some guy's drunken misshap. If you hadn't been looking for gold on the side of the road you wouldn't have landed in a Nike with a special water proof lining. Ignore the shoes and keep driving.

D&D movies: True enough I got them cheap later and I watched them and in some small fractured part of my not so deep thought proccess I enjoyed tiny aspects of them. Tiny being the key word there. Wouldn't have suggested paying ticket price for them then and still wouldn't suggest it. For some reason NWN was the only real luck they had in finding a group who actually gave a flip about what went into their games. This group being Bioware creators of Neverwinter Nights. 

For Neverwinter. I remain hopefull that they will achieve something unique and worth while. In my thoughts though I run through a large gauntlet of doubt and hesitation toward anything as slack jawed slapped together as their videos. Admitting the first one I saw got my engine going, the second one was like jabbing holes in my gas tank and stepping on the pedal. Anyway blah blah blah obviously I am up too late that's why I'm typing like I got nothing better to do. Later and good gaming to all...

"Love can be innocent and can be sweet, but sometimes about as nice as rotting meat."

BereKin

Novice Member

2/03/12 6:58:45 AM#26

Perfect World, FTW

Do I need to say more ?!? 

Methos12

Advanced Member

Its better to be quiet and perceived as stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

2/03/12 7:01:11 AM#27

To be honest I was skeptical about PWE taking over Cryptic and how it may impact their future work. That is, until I saw Cryptic's dealings with Atari and their recent actions of converting STO into possibly one of the best F2P models out there. Now I'm kinda just waiting to see what happens with Neverwinter.

Nature without Technology is little more than animals running about.
Nature without Magic is without wonder or miracle.
Magic without Technology is fantasy.
Magic without Nature is formless and useless.
Technology without Nature is application without understanding.
Technology without Magic is repetitious and uninventive.

warmaster670

Novice Member

2/03/12 7:03:17 AM#28
Originally posted by chelan

a couple of notes:

DDO is based on the older 3.5 pnp ruleset which allows for tremendous character customization.

so does 4.0, if you ever bothered to try it, id love to see your reasoning for how you can create such a tremendouc customised character over 4.0, as for the enough people not liking it comment, the same oculd be said about 3.0 from teh whiney ADND2.0 fans, or the whining about anything else from the ADND fans.

And no, making more numbers go up isnt "tremendous customisation".

4.0>>>3.5 for making an interesting unique character actually, you can actually do some interesting stuff instead of basic attack, basic attack, power attack, basic attack, basic attack, power attack etc, hell combats actually interesting for a melee character.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

warmaster670

Novice Member

2/03/12 7:12:46 AM#29
Originally posted by Jumdor

Example of 4E being WoW inspired: When you take the Pen and Paper game and make it balanced to where all classes can heal in some way or another and throw in wildly massive weapons and toonish looking size shoulder pads. Not to mention almost every option operating the same as an attack. That is the part I am talking about, as I said more power to them. I don't discourage playing it if that is what you like. I mainly added that so players of 4E would know I got no hate. Just a personal taste toward that style that I don't prefer.

Ya, heaven forbid your able to heal ONCE ina  battle, OMG so overbalanced, I can heal one quarter of my max HP once, oh wait, you cvant just spam potions all battle? funny how no one mentions that, in 3.5 you could just chug potions, yup thats real challenging, in 4.0 if you suck and just chug potions, you die.

Really, it seems like every anti 4.0 post i see is absolutley clueless about 4.0, as for your WoW comment, seriousley? are you joking? oh noes heaven forbid they have some colour in there books OMG WOW COPY, its very clear youve never played 4.0, or even looked at one of the books if your talking about oversized weapons and shoulder pads.

The cluelessness of people on 4.0 is just amazing.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

2/03/12 8:51:52 AM#30

I have one question.

It's not really a simple fact, nor is it obvious. For many people Neverwinter = Neverwinter Nights. Especially if they've never played the PnP game. Unless you dig into some of the details, that there is even a difference between NW and NWN would never be noticed.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

WATSKI

Novice Member

3/15/12 10:31:19 AM#31
Originally posted by warmaster670
Originally posted by Jumdor

Ya, heaven forbid your able to heal ONCE ina  battle, OMG so overbalanced, I can heal one quarter of my max HP once, oh wait, you cvant just spam potions all battle? funny how no one mentions that, in 3.5 you could just chug potions, yup thats real challenging, in 4.0 if you suck and just chug potions, you die.

Really, it seems like every anti 4.0 post i see is absolutley clueless about 4.0, as for your WoW comment, seriousley? are you joking? oh noes heaven forbid they have some colour in there books OMG WOW COPY, its very clear youve never played 4.0, or even looked at one of the books if your talking about oversized weapons and shoulder pads.

The cluelessness of people on 4.0 is just amazing.

To be fair to the other side though, chugging potions didn't really work in 3.5 either, at least in the traditional ruleset. When you quaffed a potion, everyone around you would get an attack of opportunity. If you were to be hit, you had a Concentration check to pass or you didn't drink it. The NPCs could also just target the potion itself and break it completely. And even if you managed to get passed all that, remember that potions are finite, and your ability to carry them is finite too (once again, if you were playing standard rules you would need to have them somewhere you could ready them).

Finally, even if you got passed the shoddy 13 AC of a potion bottle, passed any Concentration checks, and managed to drink it, remember potions only go up to 3rd level. Which means, at higher levels this tactic is completely useless on so many levels.

I'm not against the 4ed's heal ability, but they should have made it temp hitpoints or something to that effect, because healing in 3.5 WAS much harder.

Aim Small, Miss Small.

Caldicot

Hard Core Member

Hobbes was right, Rousseau was wrong.

4/06/12 3:58:06 AM#32

Too bad it will  be F2P.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

rojoArcueid

Elite Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

4/06/12 4:04:50 AM#33
Originally posted by Caldicot

Too bad it will  be F2P.

thats your opinion. Mine is the opposite ;)

My endgame begins with character creation and ends with a new mmorpg

2 Pages « 1 2 Search