Trending Games | Marvel Heroes | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,129 Users Online:0
Games:712  Posts:6,173,648
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » Why all the hate for this game?

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
71 posts found
  slowpoke68

Spotlight Poster

OP  1/03/14 6:43:04 AM#41

Wow.  Lots of people with lots to say.  I'm still just amazed by the strong reactions to this game.

For context let me say. 

I agree with the person who said DnD hasn't been DnD since 2nd edition.  I agree totally.  Started playing table top in the early 80s when I was a kid.  My only experience with 3rd was in IWD2 and I didn't care for it.  I know nothing at all about 4th ed.

I also played DAoC and EQ1 and UO before that. 

Yes mmos have continued to dumb down and are almost unrecognizable from those days.

I guess maybe because I went in expecting to hate this that I was so pleasantly surprised.

I think that by today's standards, compared to something like GW2 this game is pretty darned good.

But with all that said, I get it.  I hate EQ2 at a core level.  I never looked forward to a game as much as that one, expecting EQ2, EQ with updated graphics and combat.  So I understand why people expecting a real DnD game would be disappointed.

But still, I don't get all the rage about the cash shop.  I played the game a lot for over a month and only spent 20 bucks, some of which I think I still have.  I always felt fine in both pve and pvp all the way to max level.

Good discussion to all, thanks for the thoughts.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

1/03/14 7:58:06 AM#42

I guess different people have different expectations is the reason for the hate.

As for me, I love this game. It's the closest thing to 1st and 2nd Ed adventuring I've played. Some of the systems (like crafting/professions) are clunky and grindy and need to mature. Overall the game is a lot of fun for me.

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

Ikeda

Hard Core Member

1/03/14 8:03:38 AM#43

PWE/Cryptic's handling of Cat-ageddon did it for me.  In fact, there are 2 $20 cards sitting on my desk unused because of it.  I thought to myself... hey look finally a game I can support and have fun with.. then they took a dump right on me (again).  That combined with the lackluster customer service (that took WEEKS to resolve and then wasn't actually resolved), the broken economy (that no one was punished for), and the P2W mechanics (crafting is a joke). 

Three strikes.  If you want to be F2P, I do not pay more than $15 a month on a game.  So set your numbers with that it mind.  Even then $15 is laughable when you consider the 120+ hrs I put into a $60 game.

sirphobos

Hard Core Member

1/03/14 8:29:53 AM#44
Neverwinter was a decent enough game when leveling up.  I enjoyed the leveling process but grew bored in a matter of days upon reaching max level and had no desire to play another character.  It's not a bad game, I think it just has zero long term appeal for most players.
  TheOctagon

Hard Core Member

1/03/14 8:45:43 AM#45

If you've played Star Trek Online, you've played NW.  Its the same grind just with a different skin and names. Secret World killed STO, and now they've done it to NW.

dragnmastralex

Novice Member

1/03/14 8:57:55 AM#46
Originally posted by Ikeda

PWE/Cryptic's handling of Cat-ageddon did it for me.  In fact, there are 2 $20 cards sitting on my desk unused because of it.  I thought to myself... hey look finally a game I can support and have fun with.. then they took a dump right on me (again).  That combined with the lackluster customer service (that took WEEKS to resolve and then wasn't actually resolved), the broken economy (that no one was punished for), and the P2W mechanics (crafting is a joke). 

Three strikes.  If you want to be F2P, I do not pay more than $15 a month on a game.  So set your numbers with that it mind.  Even then $15 is laughable when you consider the 120+ hrs I put into a $60 game.

you didn't even mention the massive amount of gold farmers in the game or the hackers that steal accounts through the shitty security their website has that they will not fix nor with they replace anything stolen.  Then there is the issue of the broken dungeons, the queue that never works, the bugged quest, the bugged items, the laggy auction house, the limit on how much AD you can refine a day, the lazy holiday events, I could go on for days on the bad things about this game and then turn over and tell you even more about PWE and its other games... 

they are a company of gold farmers that run games and cheat you just to make more money... avoid them at all cost or you will get screwed.

Rzep

Hard Core Member

1/03/14 9:04:27 AM#47
Gamers are hateful people. Every game will have people that bash it on every occasion and I don't mean the people who simply don't like the game and express their view in an acceptable manner.
  DamonVile

Elite Member

1/03/14 9:36:03 AM#48
Originally posted by Randayn
Originally posted by DamonVile
Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by DamonVile
I was expecting this, but I got that...I think sums up most of the hate for the game. It's not that there's anything wrong with neverwinter, it's that it wasn't made for the person who's unhappy with it.

When you're not the target audience you either accept it and look elsewhere or you bitch and moan about the industry making crappy games NO ONE plays!

Wouldn't that be weird? Posts that complain about not being the target audience for a particular game rather than posts about how a game was written the wrong way, regardless of how many people are playing the game?

You might even be able to use a word like evolved. 

I really hate the "evolved" argument.  If MMO's are so evolved, then why are they so dumbed down as well?  They haven't been evolved, they've been expedited. 

Who says I was talking about the game ?

People are like cats. When they die, you get a new one.

MadDemon64

Hard Core Member

Why is it that fantasy trolls are vulnerable to fire, but internet trolls thrive on flame wars?

1/03/14 11:47:36 AM#49
Originally posted by Talonsin

Like most of Cryptics games, you can compare this one to a late nite stop at Taco Bell.  It sounds like a good idea at the time, tastes good while you eat it with friends but later on when you go home you regret it while sitting on the toilet.

My issue with most of Cryptics games:

1. Lack of content

2. Terrible economies

3. High prices in the cash shop

4. Can absolutely be P2W

5. Poor crafting mechanics

Is NW fun to jump in and play an hour or two with friends twice a week? Yes.  Is it anymore than that?  Not for me.

1.  Depends on what content you are looking for.

2.  Yea the economy has kinda been a little wonky since teh "Caturday" thing.  I really hate how hard it is to get Astral Diamonds and would prefer if less things relied on it, so no argument here.

3.  They are fixing it.  The prices for all of the companions has permanently decreased since the Christmas sale, and I would not be surprised if the prices for other things like mounts drops.  So cash shop prices were high in the beginning, but prices are dropping and will likely drop in the future.

4.  Not even close. The cash shop does not have anything that can give one player a huge advantage over another (blame existing class imbalances on that), and let's face facts: people throw around the term P2W so much that the term means nothing nowadays.

5.  Again, not even close.  The crafting mechanics are fairly simple, yes, but by no means poor.  In fact, they are almost improvements on many other crafting systems.  No longer do you need to spend game time farming crafting materials; just send hirelings in your profession window out to do it for you, and uncommon and rare crafting materials can be gotten by a special chest you get for logging in five days in a row.  Same for crafting: get hirelings to craft for you while you play from your profession window.  If anything, the crafting mechanics of Neverwinter are ingenius, as you no longer need to decide between spending time craftign and spending time adventuring.  In Neverwinter, you can do both at once.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Tibernicuspa

Hard Core Member

1/03/14 11:53:26 AM#50

Well, it's barely an MMO. It started out development as a non MMO and it shows.

Also, the level of customization is nowhere near as good as the older Neverwinter titles.

Basically, it's just a bad Neverwinter game with MMO slapped onto the name to swindle some extra cash.

korr

Hard Core Member

TACO! TACO! TACO!

1/03/14 11:53:32 AM#51
the game lost me when a fighter class could find secret doors... yup, that's all it took.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

yucklawyers

Novice Member

1/05/14 5:58:55 PM#52

I played this game and it was fun. Literally 14 days later I have my GF at level cap and I'm wondering "Is that it?".

Looking back, I suspect this game is a very clever money grab. I purchased a mount & pet, and 14 days later my pixel rental had run out as I reached cap - game over. Most expensive pixel rental ever. I suspect it's not supposed to hold you for any length of time, you come in, pay for a bag, mount (or whatever) in your first week or so, get to cap before you know it, and leave. Ultra fast churn rate on a single server.

It's well done, you buy Zen with real money, exchange it in-game for Astral Diamonds, and with Astral Diamonds you can buy ANYTHING. You can even pay to win crafting if you want :).

In fact, there's almost a reverse FTP thing going on here. The rich whales are finding the game over before they really spend a fortune, no big spenders means FTP players are feeling the game isn't pay to win.

Oh, and the game is riddled with bugs, literally all over. With bug fixes only seeming to be for cosmetic small things. Most bugged game I have ever played to be honest.

But... somehow it is fun, worth a shot. Just it's such a short game, be thinking of which game next from day one!!!

Panzerbase

Apprentice Member

1/05/14 6:03:34 PM#53
Because FTP is proving itself to be a massive failure, promising the moon and the stars but delivering a fast cash grab in the end. 
  shadylurker

Hard Core Member

1/06/14 10:57:05 AM#54
Originally posted by yucklawyers

I played this game and it was fun. Literally 14 days later I have my GF at level cap and I'm wondering "Is that it?".

Looking back, I suspect this game is a very clever money grab. I purchased a mount & pet, and 14 days later my pixel rental had run out as I reached cap - game over. Most expensive pixel rental ever. I suspect it's not supposed to hold you for any length of time, you come in, pay for a bag, mount (or whatever) in your first week or so, get to cap before you know it, and leave. Ultra fast churn rate on a single server.

It's well done, you buy Zen with real money, exchange it in-game for Astral Diamonds, and with Astral Diamonds you can buy ANYTHING. You can even pay to win crafting if you want :).

In fact, there's almost a reverse FTP thing going on here. The rich whales are finding the game over before they really spend a fortune, no big spenders means FTP players are feeling the game isn't pay to win.

Oh, and the game is riddled with bugs, literally all over. With bug fixes only seeming to be for cosmetic small things. Most bugged game I have ever played to be honest.

But... somehow it is fun, worth a shot. Just it's such a short game, be thinking of which game next from day one!!!

did you not play the end game?

shadylurker

Hard Core Member

1/06/14 10:59:35 AM#55
Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

Well, it's barely an MMO. It started out development as a non MMO and it shows.

Also, the level of customization is nowhere near as good as the older Neverwinter titles.

Basically, it's just a bad Neverwinter game with MMO slapped onto the name to swindle some extra cash.

lol WUT.

I play with different  random people every single time I log in.  In fact I play with more people in this "MMO" then I do in the Pay 2 plays.

tawess

Elite Member

WoWWARCoh/vSWGEveProject entropia

1/06/14 11:11:28 AM#56

it is simple

1: It was not a ultra deep Neverwinter Nights online with extra cheese

2: It was designed by Cryptic

I personally think it is a fun  little game to play every now and then. If i want deep and engaging story i play SP RPG´s

This have been a good conversation

yucklawyers

Novice Member

1/07/14 6:10:12 AM#57
Originally posted by shadylurker
Originally posted by yucklawyers

did you not play the end game?

Of course. I did stay a little longer than two weeks. But repeatable dailies and repeatable dungeons, I don't mind them as part of a levelling process, but standalone......... been there, done that. Move on to something new.....

Lol, last epic dungeon I did during Dungeon Delve, we completed it, message on screen et all. Would the chest open? Nope, no reward for any of us. Calls to a GM ignored (still no response to written bug report even now). Really is the most bugged game i have ever played.

Not saying I wouldn't come back if there was a level cap increase, because I probably would if only to get value for the pixels I rented, but I think that is extremely unlikely.

VincerKaden

Novice Member

1/07/14 7:45:04 AM#58

Honestly, I didn't give this game a fair chance. I got into beta, downloaded and installed and went into the character creation screens. I felt as if I was transported back in time with the graphics and choices. Nothing excited me at all.

After getting into the game, it was deja vu all over again. Oh gee... I was shipwrecked. And now I'm on an island or something. And look... a weapon. And now... x number of things to kill. And some NPC to start me on my way. Thanks for the money and whatever else you have an unlimited supply of. Off I go to kill x number of something else. Didn't I already do this in AoC? In Tera? In... just about every other MMO, it seems! Argh!

I'm not one for dramatics or rage quitting ever. But I had to logoff and uninstall. I couldn't warrant starting another game where I had to do the same thing all over again. To what end?

I'm not opposed to those games. But I only need one such game in my regular MMO rotation. I play LOTRO. I don't want to play it again elsewhere.

Neverwinter is probably an OK game. It has it's fans. I'm glad there are people that love it. I was completely unfair and unreasonable towards it. Maybe the loss is mine. I don't mind.

hfztt

Hard Core Member

1/07/14 7:50:56 AM#59

I dont hate this game, but DDO just does the D&D thing way better than this one.

Simple as that.

codejack

Hard Core Member

1/14/14 12:36:53 PM#60

What do you mean, "why all the hate for this game?" Have you played it? It sucks.

You sign in, load up, hit "create character," and pick your class; this is literally the last decision of any import you will make about your character's development.

The combat is just silly; I tested it out, and there is only about a ~10% difference in effectiveness between paying attention and hitting every button just right, and having some of those toy water birds set up to automatically hit keys for you at random.

The graphics are 21st-century.... barely.

The quests are just variations on a theme, boring and with clearly visible rails.

Crafting, aside from not being my thing to begin with, is tedious, pointless, and more expensive than a comparable real life hobby.

I'm a D&D fanatic; NWN2 is still installed on my computer, and I am an officer in one of the larger guilds in DDO, but I was beside myself with excitement when this game was announced. "Finally," I thought, "a real D&D MMO set in Faerun and with all of the lore to base the story on, how can it fail?"

Well, when they throw the key concepts behind D&D, MMOs, and the Neverwinter lore out the window, you don't have much left. Like the grease left in the pan after you broil a roast, this game is the garbage left after the good stuff is gone.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search