Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,859,896 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,245,140
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » Reviews & Impressions » Diamond in the rough.

8 posts found
  slowpoke68

Spotlight Poster

OP  8/21/13 11:49:01 AM#1

I wrote this game off when I first heard about it.  My initial thought was D&D reduced to an Asian grinder/console action game.

My friend talked me into trying it last week.

Have to say I am very impressed.  Game runs great, classes are fun, combat is awesome.  At first blush it seemed really simple, but with all the talent trees, and skills you acquire as you level, it actually has a fair amount of complexity.

Have been doing 5 v 5 pvp and enjoying it.

Character/gear models and animations are good.  Attack animations are great.  Graphics/sound are excellent.

Have enjoyed the quests and dungeons I have done.  The Foundry, where players can build there own content gives this game serious potential for longevity.  There are a lot of neat little touches that I like.  The environments are fantastic.  They rotate bonuses for different activities hourly so people are encouraged to queue for pvp or dungeon runs or skirmishes, seems to work pretty well.  Nice to be playing a game that isn't strictly solo up to level cap again.

After a week of playing, I have gone from major skeptic to highly recommending this.  Haven't spent any money in the cash shop yet, but will if I continue to enjoy it to support the development.  There are only 5 classes, which I don't like, but they will supposedly be adding more.

For perspective, games I liked, UO, EQ, DAoC, early WoW, LOTRO, WAR.  Games I didn't like EQ2, GW, GW2, Tera, Aion, and a bunch of others I tried but didn't feel like they were worth my time.  Games I thought were just ok, SWTOR, TSW, AoC (after the bug fixes, awful before). 

Recommend playing til level 10 before you make a decision.

Bottom line, this game is a gem and its the first new game in a long time to suck me in.  Don't understand at all why the reviews weren't better.

Zydari

Apprentice Member

Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.
Plato

8/21/13 12:01:24 PM#2
I think I may give this a try. My gaming likes and dislikes are the same.

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

User Deleted
8/21/13 12:04:01 PM#3

hmm. This 'diamond" is so rough i think its still a piece of coal.

AwDiddums

Advanced Member

8/21/13 12:08:38 PM#4

I really did enjoy this game when it first came out, but once I started to accumulate the chests I came to realise that the cash shop would soon bankcrupt me if I was to start buying up keys, or the special items to ensure success when combining the various enchantments as they progressed in lvl.

I haven't played Neverwinter in quite sometime, which is a real shame as I found the gameplay enjoyable, but I would have preferred this being a subscription based game, the cash shop is just too greedy.

SpottyGekko

Elite Member

8/21/13 12:18:46 PM#5
The PVE combat is quite fun. That is the one attractive feature of the game. It kept me fairly entertained for 3 weeks or so, but only because I didn't have anything better to do.
  nolic1

Advanced Member

8/21/13 12:23:54 PM#6
Yeah I still get on a play. I have 3 max lvl characters in full end game gear but I really just waiting for new content release this week. Other then that I have a group that we get on on friday or saturday nights and just do foundry stuff or I might get on and make us something to run through or one of them might.

To me I enjoy gaming I dont play to be uber I play to have fun. If a game is not fun to me guess what I move on and play something else till I find one that is. When I find that great game and not sure if in my life time there will be one I hope it has everything I want in an mmo.

Pyradius

Novice Member

8/22/13 5:16:29 PM#7

This game definitely has some good elements to it.  The more 'action-y' feel is refreshing compared to many MMO's.

That said, this has to be the greediest developer / publisher I have _ever_ seen in the MMO space.  They monetize _everything_.

Yes, it is not required that you have these purchases, but they throw these items in your face every chance they get, and while other games may monetize similar features, they don't jack up the prices.  It's something like what, $20-30 to buy an epic mount?  Lol...

That doesn't even touch on their _horrible_ enchantment system which is about the most vulgar monetizing I have ever seen in my life.

Not only will you spend inordinate amounts of money upgrading the 'ranks' of your enchantments, you then have to pay 'exorbitant' money (in the form of AD) to remove those enchantments.  This means you ultimately sit there with a ton of these enchantments in your bags (which they also monetize the hell out of your bag/bank space) not wanting to put them into your gear.

I say this as someone who spent a few hundred dollars on the game (founder package being the most pricey feature I bought) because I did have a fair amount of fun in the game.  I really did enjoy the PvE and dungeon elements.

Ultimately I switched to playing Rift and have been having an absolute blast.  They have by far the most reasonable balance of monetizing and comfort in any F2P game I have tried thus far.

SupaAPE

Advanced Member

6/20/14 11:25:41 PM#8
Originally posted by Pyradius

This game definitely has some good elements to it.  The more 'action-y' feel is refreshing compared to many MMO's.

That said, this has to be the greediest developer / publisher I have _ever_ seen in the MMO space.  They monetize _everything_.

Yes, it is not required that you have these purchases, but they throw these items in your face every chance they get, and while other games may monetize similar features, they don't jack up the prices.  It's something like what, $20-30 to buy an epic mount?  Lol...

That doesn't even touch on their _horrible_ enchantment system which is about the most vulgar monetizing I have ever seen in my life.

Not only will you spend inordinate amounts of money upgrading the 'ranks' of your enchantments, you then have to pay 'exorbitant' money (in the form of AD) to remove those enchantments.  This means you ultimately sit there with a ton of these enchantments in your bags (which they also monetize the hell out of your bag/bank space) not wanting to put them into your gear.

I say this as someone who spent a few hundred dollars on the game (founder package being the most pricey feature I bought) because I did have a fair amount of fun in the game.  I really did enjoy the PvE and dungeon elements.

Ultimately I switched to playing Rift and have been having an absolute blast.  They have by far the most reasonable balance of monetizing and comfort in any F2P game I have tried thus far.

Your first post since 2004, high five dude, OBVIOUS MUCH???