Trending Games | Marvel Heroes | Elder Scrolls Online | ArcheAge | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,922,082 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,315,109
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » What's this game like? Questions

10 posts found
  Raserei

Hard Core Member

OP  4/08/13 5:25:41 PM#1

1.) What is this game similar to? Do you just do quests like in WoW?

2.) Is the loot/item system fun? Tons of loot like Diablo/WoW with stats and stuff?

3.) Are the dungeons soloable?

4.) WHat is the cash shop going to sell? Is it P2P? If yes, how?

ranncore

Novice Member

4/08/13 6:39:15 PM#2
Originally posted by Raserei

1.) What is this game similar to? Do you just do quests like in WoW?

2.) Is the loot/item system fun? Tons of loot like Diablo/WoW with stats and stuff?

3.) Are the dungeons soloable?

4.) WHat is the cash shop going to sell? Is it P2P? If yes, how?

1.) Combat is similar to RaiderZ, Vindictus, or Tera - mostly RaiderZ. As for quests, there's lots of fetch-quests not unlike any MMO, out in open world areas where you'll run into other players, as well as instanced dungeon crawls. There's also the Foundry, where players can make their own quests and campaigns: these are often much more open-ended, involved, sometimes more dialogue/story oriented. 

2.) I like the loot system, it has tiered/colored loot like most other games, lots of stats (crit, crit severity, lifesteal, power, etc), as well as slots for runes and upgrades. There's a crafting system (platesmithing, mailsmithing, etc), but we haven't seen it yet.

3.) About 80% of the games content is designed as "solo-friendly." There are also dungeon delves, which you can either A.) just run up to the door and enter, regardless if you are of the right level or not (over/under) or you can join a public qeue to group for them. They are designed for groups, but the foolish or brave can attempt to solo them. 

4.) Cash shop seems pretty fair so far, but there's a few items I'm personally concerned about" devs have already taken notice of the complaints tho. Mainly, the Stone of Health, which refills your health to full and has a cooldown (most pots will only hit you for about 50%), and the Scrolls of Cure Serious Wounds, which resurrect you, or your entire party, on the spot, mid combat, instead of resetting the enemies back to full health and sending you back to the nearest campfire. Right now, this is the ONLY way in the game to resurrect. There are also store bought Companions, some of which are quite a bit more powerful than those obtained by questing. 

birdycephon

Novice Member

Not Safe For Woona (NSFW)

4/08/13 7:00:59 PM#3
In essence, its just more of the same.
  Aerowyn

Novice Member

4/08/13 7:04:09 PM#4
Originally posted by birdycephon
In essence, its just more of the same.

although no other MMO i have played in, well ever.. has had such a robust dungeon maker.. so in that case not more of the same at all

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Raserei

Hard Core Member

OP  4/08/13 8:08:46 PM#5
Do you get loot and xp for doing player made dungeons? 

Is it similar to EQ2's dungeon maker?
  Aerowyn

Novice Member

4/08/13 8:12:45 PM#6
Originally posted by Raserei
Do you get loot and xp for doing player made dungeons? 

Is it similar to EQ2's dungeon maker?

yes you get loot for player made dungeons its based on how hard the mobs are basically.. you cannot set loot in the dungeons you make just how hard mobs are for example basic easy, medium, hard.. all foundry missions scale to your level although some are locked based on locations.. so if you haven't gotten to certain town for instance you can't do certain missions people make as you use real in game npcs and items as triggers to start your missions

The foundry is the most expansive content creation tool i have ever used in a themepakr MMO easily.. but youll have to try it yourself to see how you like it.. it does have a steep learning curve on some aspects of it

What is Neverwinter? Trailer

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Alber_gamer

Advanced Member

4/08/13 9:18:20 PM#7

It's a very unique game, especially thanks to the Foundry.

There has never been a fantasy mmo with such a deep and rich dungeon maker easily accessible to users. It's not just about putting rooms connected by corridors and launching it like most non-mmo level editors. You can actually tell and build a story with all kind of scripts conversations, triggers, sounds, lightning, everything you can imagine. You don't only create maps, you can create stories.

Whoever says NWO is more of the same is either very ignorant, or just trolling.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

azzamasin

Hard Core Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

4/11/13 5:01:36 AM#8
Originally posted by Alber_gamer

It's a very unique game, especially thanks to the Foundry.

There has never been a fantasy mmo with such a deep and rich dungeon maker easily accessible to users. It's not just about putting rooms connected by corridors and launching it like most non-mmo level editors. You can actually tell and build a story with all kind of scripts conversations, triggers, sounds, lightning, everything you can imagine. You don't only create maps, you can create stories.

Whoever says NWO is more of the same is either very ignorant, or just trolling.

If you enjoy running dungeons and instances then this game will be an amazing experience because  Ican only think of 1 other MMO with the amount of dungeons as NWO, that was Asheron's Call.  On top of this unlike your typical MMO, most of the dungeons are designed for solo adventures again something that you hardly ever see in a traditional MMO.

Add the Foundry on top of this and you have a metric butt load of unending content and I dunno about you, but one of my biggest pet peeves in msot of the recent MMO's was the lack of endgame content.  In NWO there is no shortage (if your into small group or solo content)  Basically endgame can be played like the level up game, this is what I am most excited about.  Loved GW2 but it fell short due to content, this wont happen in NWO.  If your looking for PvP centric or hardcore raiding type then no this isnt your game bt if your into solo stuff then its a very good game.  Unlike most other MMO's where you play the solo game from creation to cap, then turn into this very specific group orientated game with minimum content to last, NWO never changes scope.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

ranncore

Novice Member

4/11/13 1:51:13 PM#9
Well there's a good sprinkling of much more challenging group oriented dungeon delves and skirmishes throughout the entire game, 5v5 pvp domination maps and multiple tiers of epic dungeons as well as huge 20v20 pvp maps confirmed. 
  JDogg126

Novice Member

You've ruined your own lands, you'll not ruin mine!

4/12/13 10:49:23 AM#10

There will be adventures whether that be dungeon crawls, solving a murder mystery, unraveling political drama, or helping goodly folk in distress is completely up to you.  There should be plenty of adventure hooks throughout the game and as DM's create more and more UGC the potential for endless adventures is pretty exciting.  It's similar to Dungeons and Dragons if you ever heard of that.  ;)

As for the loot system that's an open question still. The last beta weekend I was on the Need/Greed/Pass system needed some tweaks and there were a few more "unidentified items" dropped than scrolls of identity.  Things die and drop loot as you'd expect from an MMO.  No really surprises there.  I do like seeing unidentified items (very D&D-ish).  Magic weapons, items, and armor can improve your character's performance as you'd expect from a D&D game.

There are all sorts of dungeons in Neverwinter from sewers to farm houses to caves to actual dungeons etc.  Most of the time you should be able to solo through them if you want.  There are some things designed for parties of 5 however that you cannot solo.  The dungeons created by users can be soloed and the xp/rewards/difficulty scale to your level so you can level and gear up your characters by playing nothing but user created content if you like.

The cash shop sells convenience and vanity items.  It's not pay to win but you'll hear folks argue that certain items under certain scenarios when you squint your eyes a certain way might be pay to win but the reality is that everyone who plays the game can convert astral diamond into zen and buy "cash shop" items without paying one single penny.