Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Elder Scrolls Online | TERA: Rising | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,645,792 Users Online:0
Games:687  Posts:6,083,893
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » Advice for people considering Founders packs

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
32 posts found
  voigt

Novice Member

3/13/13 10:16:38 PM#21

I would pay $200 for a game that was harder like old school RPGs.   I find it rather silly that these 'Founder's Packs' make the game easier by giving you perks like increased exp gain and items that would take a lot of in-game currency to obtain.  Its like I want to support the developers but I DO NOT WANT to make the game easier.  Am I the only one who wants a game to be hard with challenges to overcome? I can't be the only one who doesn't want free shit handed to me just because I gave them money.  I think this F2P trend is going to kill gaming, so I don't buy anything in order to keep the game challenging but then I am not contributing to the funding of the project.   

I want to give them $200 and get access to the Hardcore server, with one life to live and 10x slower leveling speed, etc.

Abloec

Advanced Member

OP  3/13/13 11:55:57 PM#22
Originally posted by voigt

I would pay $200 for a game that was harder like old school RPGs.   I find it rather silly that these 'Founder's Packs' make the game easier by giving you perks like increased exp gain and items that would take a lot of in-game currency to obtain.  Its like I want to support the developers but I DO NOT WANT to make the game easier.  Am I the only one who wants a game to be hard with challenges to overcome? I can't be the only one who doesn't want free shit handed to me just because I gave them money.  I think this F2P trend is going to kill gaming, so I don't buy anything in order to keep the game challenging but then I am not contributing to the funding of the project.   

I want to give them $200 and get access to the Hardcore server, with one life to live and 10x slower leveling speed, etc.

Nothing that we know of really gives you a bonus, just because they give the option to get xp boosts doesn't mean you have to get em.  I agree with you that games are becoming stupidly easy now a days but hopefully they keep to their word that they will design their end game where they cant beat it.

Damnant quod non intellegunt

AG-Vuk

Advanced Member

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Oh, I see it's too late to help you.

3/14/13 12:05:31 AM#23
If you'd like a clue as to what to expect as currencies go see STo. It'll be  a maze of currencies for all sorts of crap.

Vesavius

Old School

Players come for the game, but they stay for the people- Most Devs have forgotten this.

3/14/13 8:18:19 AM#24
Originally posted by Abloec
Originally posted by Vesavius
Originally posted by Aerowyn

if you are at all interested in making your own content the foundry system is well worth paying for.. i wouldn't say i'd put down $200 though....but $60 for sure.. although that spider mount looks pretty badass:P.. 

I am all for designing content but I cannot really put a value on being able to use the foundry immediately when all you need to do is get level 15 which will take a few hours if they do not increase the leveling timeframe.

True I meant more for the fact you can spend thousands of hours if you wanted creating content.. even though you choose to pay for it and others get it free I wouldn't feel like I'm waisting my money to support a game I could possibly put thousands of hours into.. put again I put money into these packs to support the company anything they give me is just a perk... but again I just went for the $60 not the $200

What kind of reward foes the game give for having people run through your creations? Anything for your character, or even ADs?

Part of me says that if I am creating content for them to help keep folks in their game for longer the least they can do is throw me a bit of virtual curency as a thank you.

People can donate AD to you, Cryptic/PWE don't give you anything.

Ouch... really? Seems a bit tight considering that you are going to be helping them make real life money.

I wonder if their own adventure designers would work just for the chance of possible player donations.

DrDwarf

Apprentice Member

3/14/13 9:21:02 AM#25

Listen to the person that talks about the cryptic cash grab.  

These companies have more money than you so why would you imagine it is your responsibility to "support" them by buying a founders pack when they launch a product ?

What MMORPGs need more than anything is an active pool of players who make the game world a place others want to spend time in.    It wont matter what you spent on a founders pack if the game bombs and only the ignorant are going to be impressed by your character.

I can't think of any MMORPG I have played where the digital pre-purchase, collectors edition or any other incentives offered to people before a game launched were worth having, with the notable exception of early access to the game.  

What I begrudge is not paying upfront for an MMORPG but this free to play trend where you have no idea what is a reasonable starting point within a new game.

voltt

Advanced Member

3/17/13 9:24:28 AM#26
i think, these developers who put out prices like this need to get there act together. back in the day  you would pay 60-70 bucks for everything the game had. I do not see any value in digital items. 200 dollars!!! thats f****** ridiculous where do they get this "value" from .
  BrownAle

Apprentice Member

3/17/13 11:12:22 AM#27

Whats the point of a mount if the game doesnt have a vast open world in which you need to move around?

Just curious...

Tokken

Apprentice Member

"Game making is a business not a charity."

3/17/13 11:17:44 AM#28
no worries about the founders packs. at this point the game isn't very impressive so far. Hope it gets better!
  Tokken

Apprentice Member

"Game making is a business not a charity."

3/17/13 11:18:38 AM#29
Originally posted by BrownAle

Whats the point of a mount if the game doesnt have a vast open world in which you need to move around?

Just curious...

True dat!

Does the world open up? Haven't been able to use the mount yet.

Machination

Apprentice Member

Cheers!

3/17/13 11:37:52 AM#30
Originally posted by Vesavius
Originally posted by Aerowyn

if you are at all interested in making your own content the foundry system is well worth paying for.. i wouldn't say i'd put down $200 though....but $60 for sure.. although that spider mount looks pretty badass:P.. 

I am all for designing content but I cannot really put a value on being able to use the foundry immediately when all you need to do is get level 15 which will take a few hours if they do not increase the leveling timeframe.

True I meant more for the fact you can spend thousands of hours if you wanted creating content.. even though you choose to pay for it and others get it free I wouldn't feel like I'm waisting my money to support a game I could possibly put thousands of hours into.. put again I put money into these packs to support the company anything they give me is just a perk... but again I just went for the $60 not the $200

What kind of reward foes the game give for having people run through your creations? Anything for your character, or even ADs?

Part of me says that if I am creating content for them to help keep folks in their game for longer the least they can do is throw me a bit of virtual curency as a thank you.

People can donate AD to you, Cryptic/PWE don't give you anything.

I do like that people can tip the content creators AD. It is such a simple idea and it rewards those people with community support, not company. Wish more MMO's would venture in this direction. I would like to see someone tackle this thinking for the crafters as well. Can be something really sharp.

Abloec

Advanced Member

OP  3/17/13 9:31:28 PM#31
Originally posted by Tokken
Originally posted by BrownAle

Just curious...

True dat!

Does the world open up? Haven't been able to use the mount yet.

The world does open up. Not as huge as say GW2 or WoW but a good enough size.

Damnant quod non intellegunt

Alber_gamer

Hard Core Member

3/17/13 9:47:21 PM#32

I'm not sure how many Astral Diamonds you can get at max level through doing dungeons and stuff, but in the Beta you could only pray 4 times a day for diamonds, after that you only get some XP and maybe a couple of regular potions of healing. That's more or less 500 Astral Diamonds per day. Through the prayer mechanic, it would take only 1,500 days doing oyur full daily praying to get the same amount of Astral Diamonds as you get in the Founder's Pack. Or in other words, around 4 years.

Would be good idea to not phrase things as if people are getting scammed because you can infinitely pray your way to 200 million Astral diamonds in a week. The Founder's Pack is a worthwhile purchase for those that can afford to purchase it, considering they also get an unique mount, race, items and stuff. Though the real worth of those features is up to each person. nobody can tell you how it is worth to you.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search