Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Firefall | Rift | EverQuest Next

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,852,226 Users Online:0
Games:733  Posts:6,226,520
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » Skipping Neverwinter based on art/combat style

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
27 posts found
  User Deleted
1/27/13 12:46:31 PM#21
Originally posted by grimal
Do you want us to convince you not to skip it?  What's the point of this thread?

Yeah, what this forum really needs is more fanboyism and flamewars, not observations about MMOs :rolleyes:

Dungeons & Dragons existed before 99.9% of the people had access to computers, so of course people are going to have opinions about a game that veers away from the original feel.

What surprises me is that anyone would even consider playing a Cryptic game. I guess you're all looking forward to chests that you need to purchase a key for and will use a random number generator with undisclosed odds for drops?

gillrmn

Apprentice Member

1/27/13 1:56:01 PM#22
Originally posted by enik3

What surprises me is that anyone would even consider playing a Cryptic game. I guess you're all looking forward to chests that you need to purchase a key for and will use a random number generator with undisclosed odds for drops?

You do realize that cryptic is developer and not publisher right?

If you are going to criticize, its good - however you should keep your facts right. Cryptic has nothing to do with cash-shop and monies part of the game - publisher does.

jtcgs

Advanced Member

1/27/13 2:01:44 PM#23

I can agree that combat and even art can ruin a game but I dont apply it to D&D the way you do. I can see a need to make the combat faster paced as a break-away from tradition due to DDO not doing that great before going F2P and the only ACTUAL true D&D combat is TURN BASED.

The art style, outside of combat though doesnt seem bad to me, in fact some of the zones in the clips are spot on and same with the towns, fitting previous D&D single player computer games.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

azzamasin

Elite Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

1/28/13 12:51:05 AM#24
I dont care what kind of art or combat a game is "suppose" to have as long as it appeals to me.  I'm serious when I say I would play tiddlywinks online if had the art of GW2 and the combat of Neverwinter.  Some people jsut can't suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

kage71

Novice Member

1/28/13 10:05:07 AM#25
Originally posted by Apok_23
To each their own, but I just don't dig it. D&D has always been a cerebral game and about immersion into whatever character or world you happened to have created. This combat/art style completely destroys immersion (IMO). Watch the current character class videos and you expect to see a bubbles pop up filled with "BAM!" or "POOOOOW!" like the old sixties Batman show. Combat is so over the top and exaggerated it looks like Marvel vs. Capcom or Street fighter from back in the day. If you like it, more power to you. But there's very little room for the "R" in "RPG" when you swing your sword and it looks like there was a small thermo-nuclear detonation. It saddens me they took the "RPG" out of THE "RPG".

Bro seriously? Man I tell you first of all I have no clue on what your main topic was even about here... I personally fail to see what does swinging a weapon have to do with "RPG". Number One: The acronym "R" means role so how does watching some video of a game that isn't released yet for you to even make statements like this? Number Two: maybe somewhere you did not fully read what this game is all about even from the beginning they stated this game would be a "Action based" type so for you even talking about how over the top exaggerated is not the fault of the company but  the fault lay on your shoulders since clearly you missed that point. Combat style is "Action", the MMO is because this is a massively multiplayer and RPG is how you interact with other players or how you interact with the NPCs. If you are going to bash a game at least come with something that makes a valid point.

Sovrath

Elite Member

1/28/13 10:12:24 AM#26
To each their own, but I just don't dig it. D&D has always been a cerebral game and about immersion into whatever character or world you happened to have created. This combat/art style completely destroys immersion (IMO). Watch the current character class videos and you expect to see a bubbles pop up filled with "BAM!" or "POOOOOW!" like the old sixties Batman show. Combat is so over the top and exaggerated it looks like Marvel vs. Capcom or Street fighter from back in the day. If you like it, more power to you. But there's very little room for the "R" in "RPG" when you swing your sword and it looks like there was a small thermo-nuclear detonation. It saddens me they took the "RPG" out of THE "RPG".

Probably why I spent most of my D&D time cutting out some of the dice rolling and throwing away a lot of the charts.

I wouldn't even say it was "cerebral". It was more for people who enjoyed numbers and minutae. As a DM I concentrated on story telling and "yes" action. To me, immersion was about story telling, creating a realistic world and allowing my players to have a sense of immediacy to what was going on. Not roling a dice and consulting a chart every time someone wanted to scratch their bum.

But then again AS Gary Gygax said, the rules were just guidlines, take what you need and add what you want and throw away what you don't want/need,.

However, I would say that I don't like the art style of Neverwinter.

KAIvilln

Novice Member

1/28/13 2:16:17 PM#27
Originally posted by augustgrace

whew, this has been weighing pretty heavily on my mind.  Will Apok play? Won't he?  I needs to know now!!!!!

It isn't actually necessary to share your every stray throught with the world.  And you made an account just to post this?!

Re read your post, then look up "irony" and proceed to feel as stupid as you look. You think your "530" posts invalidates someone's opinion? Last I checked this was the "general discussion" and that was a "general" observation on my part. For the record, you may want to hold off playing internet mmo tough guy until you remove your TOR sig. That pretty much tells everyone you have no idea what your talking about when it comes to mmo's.

+5 Keyboard of Owning Foum Posts

2 Pages « 1 2 Search