Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | World of Warcraft | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,737,072 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,176,277
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » Rumors Vs Facts

10 posts found
  gillrmn

Apprentice Member

OP  1/16/13 8:56:01 AM#1

Just debunking a few rumors here people are taking for facts. Though one simple read through massive official forums will help debunk them, many won't be willing to do that.

- Cookie cutter builds because of 4e

Truth: 4e has a lot of indepth customization - much more logical and deep than 3e. They have not implemented multiclassing and hybrid yet (they mean different in 4e, and there are two) but for now, they will use "recommended builds" from 4e. 4e has paragon paths like 3e had prestige classes, except that PP are much more numerous. Infact, just using PP can easily compete with any level of character customization in 3e.

So following 4e means there is a lot more depth in customization, but it can only be implemented slowly. So let us all demand for multiclass and hybrid to be added soon after launch, for they will only think it is worth it if there is a demand from players for it.

- Only 4 classes

Truth: It was supposed to be 5 classes in 2011 launch. Since then devs have already confirmed 4 classes(5 builds) and told us more classes will be announced. Also, more classes will be added after launch as making a class, in the words of a dev, "is very easy using out new game engine".

(So expect classes to be released at regular interval - and as CEO of cryptic says, releasing new classes brings back old players to game. So they are going to use it as ploy to increase replayability of the game probably.)

- Not true to D&D

Truth: WotC is developing this game closely and the 4e PnP Neverwinter CB was made in collaboration with cryptic devs - infact valindra's art in PnP was cryptic art's department production. So that is kind of stupid statement. A few changes have been made in consultation with cryptic (see youtube D&D digital part 2) like increasing gnoll height by 20% - because camera is third person view so to have the size feeling right it has to be 20% more. In fact, eye color of trolls etc. have ben debated and there were polls on WotC website and the results been taken in consideration.

Game looks very faithful to mechanics too. Not everything has been shown yet, I suspect not everything has been implemented form PnP either - but it would be over time like in any other game - the reason they have updates.

- because of 4e the game will be WoW

Truth: That is basically fanboi and loyality of edition talking. Nobody has yet played the game, and if they have played it they can't talk about it due to NDA.

- Beta will be a marketing ploy

Truth: I asked this question directly to a dev Crypticmapolis on forums, he plainly said that Close beta would be where they will actively seek feedback and will not be a marketing ploy.

- Game mechanics are not 4e but 4e inspired

Truth: Yeah devs use that term often, but if you actually try and see - it is mostly faithful to 4e mechanics. Ofcourse turn based mechanics need to be turned to active action gameplay - and to highlight it probably devs are saying that again and again, but even when not 100% complete implementation - it is a very faithful adaption of the 4e mechanics.

- Classes have become boxed in roles

Truth: Not much difference from the classes in 4e just new additions (except for new classes, one of the monk can use sword etc.). People with half knowledge assume reading the book once that if controller is wizard's role that is all it can do.

No. Wizard has controller as PRIMARY role, as in the 3e. It can still buff, damage and kick arse in general.

- Alpha started 2 days ago

Truth: lol. Its just that their NDA got loosened and you came to know. Who knows how long alpha is going on - may 2 years? However it seems beta is close with devs introducing themselves on forums and even Andy saying Hi. That means alpha was going on for long with very good NDA keeping it secret, but now at its end it may have got some leaks.

A mod has already confirmed that alpha has already been on for "much longer than 2 days" but won't say more due to NDA. NDA is very strict it seems which is good thing meaning devs take rules seriously. Please do so to stop exploiting and gold farming too! XD

gillrmn

Apprentice Member

OP  1/16/13 9:07:32 AM#2

- Only 5 people PvE content

Truth: As much as a part of me wish it were always true, devs have said PvE parties will be limited to 5 people "AT LAUNCH". There will be quests which lets you solo and there would be some kind of dungeon raid - where 5 party is a requirement (i.e. non-soloable, needs full party, but you can skip it etc.)

PvP we don't knwo - though we know that there is Party vs Party capture the flag PvP. Thatw as where dev realised he can't say more and gagged himself (grrr marketing people). But we have above teaser from the dev :)

- beta will be Q1 2013

Truth: lol. Don't trust anything until they announce the date - exact date. That is just a vague guess from dev side. Theyd o that most of the time :P

- PWE will destroy the game

Truth: Actually they saved it. Thank you PWE. They financed it when ... lets leave the history. Basically they have funded it a lot now and NW is no longer a dark horse buta prime investment for PWE. They are not going to use and throw it but use it as an icon "We haz best games" and try to get their investment back. They are robably thinking of it as long term profit investment as a game which will run for 10 years as opposed to 2-3 years, which for a game is a good thing.

(I would although, watch out for future sub-standard games from them which they might use the image of NW to push in market XD ) But for Neverwinter, PWE has been the best thing that could have happened. They were able to get enough money to get the luxury to delay and polish the game before release.

syntax42

Elite Member

1/16/13 9:09:54 AM#3
Originally posted by gillrmn

So let us all demand for multiclass and hybrid to be added soon after launch, for they will only think it is worth it if there is a demand from players for it.

Instead, demand it be in the game before giving them money.  This doesn't have to wait until after launch.  Adding a major mechanic to a game after launch is far more complex and less likely to happen.

Your post lacks links to cite facts.  It could be your made-up fanboy rant for all we know.  Post links if you want credibility.

I played Champions Online with a Cryptic dev.  This developer only created a small portion of the game and had very little say in the parts of the game with any real substance.  Anything quoted from a Cryptic dev could be someone who doesn't have real influence on the part of the game they are talking about.  If you want a reliable source, it needs to be the lead dev or at least a developer in charge of the content they are referring to.  

The term "dev" is given far more authority and recognition than they deserve.  I'm not saying they aren't a critical part of creating a game, but they don't do as much as people seem to give them credit for.

Also, anything quoted from Cryptic should be taken for a grain of salt.  They aren't known for their honesty and delivering on their developers' promises.

gillrmn

Apprentice Member

OP  1/16/13 9:12:36 AM#4

These are all the rumors and untruths (half-truths) which I came across in forums here. If I see more, I will add to them.

If you want sources, references to above write up, quote the part and I will give you links :)

Though most of it you can find in official forums in either FAQs thread by iamtruthseeker or in my thread (gillrmn) titld Answers from Developers - both are stickied in discussion area.

gillrmn

Apprentice Member

OP  1/16/13 9:26:59 AM#5
Originally posted by syntax42
Also, anything quoted from Cryptic should be taken for a grain of salt.  They aren't known for their honesty and delivering on their developers' promises.

"Your post lacks links to cite facts.  It could be your made-up fanboy rant for all we know.  Post links if you want credibility."

I prefer the term fanatic to fanboy, unfortunately the other forum users disagree as I am always criticizing the work of developers on official forum and raging uneccessarily. As for links, they are not hard to find. As I said, check my thread "Answers from developers"

Just clearing up some facts and sieving rumors.

"Instead, demand it be in the game before giving them money."

You can try to stop giving money to an f2p game ... they are not going to have lifetime subscribers even. I remember raging on thread that they should have subscribers and stuff but they didn't budge.

I played Champions Online with a Cryptic dev.

How unfortunate. I would have never tried anything related to that A*** word profanity after it screwed up Daggerdale. Though I don't really care about anything not D&D. But you got guts to try a product permanently f-ed up by that A-word profanity. I am not that gutsy. At most I would try it after the wrong doings of that A-word are washed away slowly as CO was released and established by the time.

The term "dev" is given far more authority and recognition than they deserve

The dev now includes marketing as they have gags on all of them and no information is given until marketing approves it. That is why no info on NW is forthcoming.

Anyways, there is no other authority which can give more legible info. If you can oint it out I will be thankful. In the end its better than rumors and rants of disgruntled people. Debunking rumors gives actual information - that is all.

Also, anything quoted from Cryptic should be taken for a grain of salt.

I am of the opinion that whatever anyone says should be taken with grain of salt. Blind trust is not a healthy practice anyways. But it is important to know what is truth and what is not. I have listed the truth vs uninformed rumors - thats all. All of it is from public information on official forums and videos which people can look at and form their own opinions.

However it is a sin to touch and twist the facts.

azzamasin

Elite Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

1/16/13 9:45:38 AM#6
Good info Gill.  I knew msot of these already but its good for the masses who refuse to do a modicum of research and just spew the party lines like its religion.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Torvaldr

Elite Member

1/16/13 9:55:26 AM#7

- beta will be Q1 2013

Truth: lol. Don't trust anything until they announce the date - exact date. That is just a vague guess from dev side. Theyd o that most of the time :P

That's not an unfounded rumour.  They put out on their forums, when the fall beta was delayed, that they intended to move back the beta to Q1 or early 2013 as a target.  They never promised specifically that it would be in that or any time frame.  But that isn't entirely conjecture.

Common sense kind of dictates that the exact date won't be known until they announce it.

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

gillrmn

Apprentice Member

OP  1/16/13 10:03:44 AM#8
Originally posted by Torvaldr

- beta will be Q1 2013

That's not an unfounded rumour.  They put out on their forums, when the fall beta was delayed, that they intended to move back the beta to Q1 or early 2013 as a target.  They never promised specifically that it would be in that or any time frame.  But that isn't entirely conjecture.

Common sense kind of dictates that the exact date won't be known until they announce it.

What you say is true, but I am just saying not to trust it. They have many times given vague dates like "summer 2012" "Fall 2012" etc. which have no meaning.

Unless they actually come up with a date, it is better to consider it not announced. For who knows, their Q1 may be defined as what Q4 is to us normal folks :P

Allacore69

Elite Member

1/20/13 2:20:54 AM#9
Originally posted by syntax42

So let us all demand for multiclass and hybrid to be added soon after launch, for they will only think it is worth it if there is a demand from players for it.

Instead, demand it be in the game before giving them money.  This doesn't have to wait until after launch.  Adding a major mechanic to a game after launch is far more complex and less likely to happen.

Your post lacks links to cite facts.  It could be your made-up fanboy rant for all we know.  Post links if you want credibility.

I played Champions Online with a Cryptic dev.  This developer only created a small portion of the game and had very little say in the parts of the game with any real substance.  Anything quoted from a Cryptic dev could be someone who doesn't have real influence on the part of the game they are talking about.  If you want a reliable source, it needs to be the lead dev or at least a developer in charge of the content they are referring to.  

The term "dev" is given far more authority and recognition than they deserve.  I'm not saying they aren't a critical part of creating a game, but they don't do as much as people seem to give them credit for.

The game is free. Why would we give them money right away?

gillrmn

Apprentice Member

OP  1/22/13 5:52:45 PM#10
Originally posted by Allacore69

The game is free. Why would we give them money right away?

:-)

Very true