Trending Games | Darkest Dungeon | Trove | Elder Scrolls Online | Skyforge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,771,523 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,187,198
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » Neverwinter early 2013 release, realistic?

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
29 posts found
  mattidore

Novice Member

OP  1/12/13 3:37:14 AM#1

They want an early 2013 release, and by early I'm quessing they mean Q1? (Q2+ isn't imo, "early") so they want to release it by march, april in the latest, but they still haven't even started closed beta.

Is an early 2013 release realistic, or are they really pushing for time?

Legere

Novice Member

1/12/13 3:41:25 AM#2
depends man, some games do closed betas, and open betas for months.   games like archeage, for years. other games, differnt aspects are tested in beta and might last only 2 - 4 weeks.  a game like neverminter?  release in 8-12 weeks might be possible.
  mattidore

Novice Member

OP  1/12/13 3:44:29 AM#3
Originally posted by Legere
depends man, some games do closed betas, and open betas for months.   games like archeage, for years. other games, differnt aspects are tested in beta and might last only 2 - 4 weeks.  a game like neverminter?  release in 8-12 weeks might be possible.

what exactly do you mean by "a game like neverwinter"? What aspects of NW allows it to have a shorter CB period than other games?

Legere

Novice Member

1/12/13 3:49:47 AM#4
Originally posted by mattidore

what exactly do you mean by "a game like neverwinter"? What aspects of NW allows it to have a shorter CB period than other games?

not to put this game down by any means, but for example - they have only 5 classes - compared to how many of WoW? also - i see it as much more linear e.g. oblivion rather than WoW.. you follow a story, scripted.. rather than open world vs whatever..especially something new like gw2

i think its much easier to plan and script and get it right first time round.. so betas are more there for server staility testing and misc bugs compared to balancing issues and development reasons

skeaser

Advanced Member

Don't die mad, just die.

1/12/13 3:50:58 AM#5

Depends on how polished it is when beta starts. If they've gotten most everything handled in Alpha there's no need for a lengthy beta. Only time will tell.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

mattidore

Novice Member

OP  1/12/13 3:55:35 AM#6

not to put this game down by any means, but for example - they have only 5 classes - compared to how many of WoW? also - i see it as much more linear e.g. oblivion rather than WoW.. you follow a story, scripted.. rather than open world vs whatever..especially something new like gw2

i think its much easier to plan and script and get it right first time round.. so betas are more there for server staility testing and misc bugs compared to balancing issues and development reasons

ahhh i see, i see. I haven't really looked into the game myself, as it only just started to get my attention. I hope it isn't TOO similar to GW2, I was a huge fanboy and felt kinda let down by it. Oh well, guess i'll just have to wait, hopefully cb is soon.

Also, devs mentioned they'll be phasing in people throughout the duration of CB, sounds lengthy to me.

Scot

Elite Member

1/12/13 4:25:14 AM#7
What we should all want is a late release. That way you will get a better game.
  Jemcrystal

Hard Core Member

Let em put a slave ring thru u're nose u're prob not going to like where they're taking you. Think.

1/12/13 3:46:12 PM#8
Originally posted by Scot
What we should all want is a late release. That way you will get a better game.

Agree.  I would rather have full content well polished game no matter how long the wait.  

I seldom stay in games after beta, I want to check them out but they feel like they lack to much content for serious play.  I usually favorite f2p games that were p2p because they're fixed up better.  The only down side is the company might see going f2p as down sizing instead of upgrading and stop supporting the game with any seriousness.  

Best game I ever played was f2p from the start but I left that game a 100 times before finally coming back to stay.  I hate waiting for content updates far more than waiting for game release.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

1/12/13 3:52:38 PM#9
All I've ready from their forums is that they plan on having a beta sometime in Q1.  Did they release a news blurb otherwise.

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

redcapp

Novice Member

1/12/13 10:10:14 PM#10
It's Cryptic.  Their whole philosophy is to churn out games rapidly, lol.
  mattidore

Novice Member

OP  1/13/13 5:26:40 AM#11
On another note, do you guys reckon PWE is gonna fuck up Neverwinter? LIke they usually god with all their games?
  Alber_gamer

Hard Core Member

1/13/13 7:48:03 AM#12
I have high hopes in this game, let's pray they do not botch the amazing setting they have in their hands. 

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

kage71

Advanced Member

1/14/13 8:30:32 AM#13
On another note, do you guys reckon PWE is gonna fuck up Neverwinter? LIke they usually god with all their games?

Hmm not with Wizards of the Coast and R.A. Salvatore backing this game up, this is not just a game PWE can just screw over.

Ezhae

Apprentice Member

1/14/13 8:42:08 AM#14
Considering how F2P releases tend to work, I'm guessing there will be just open/semi open beta around march/april that may or may not last for 2-3 months till the "official" release. With some F2P titles it's really hard to notice the switch from Beta to release version without following the news since the moment open beta starts everyone treats like release anyway. 
  Requiamer

Novice Member

1/14/13 9:58:19 AM#15
Originally posted by kage71

Hmm not with Wizards of the Coast and R.A. Salvatore backing this game up, this is not just a game PWE can just screw over.

Does the game have anything about D&D franchise? It's an honest question because i have no clue. D&D deserve a hell of a good product imo, by pure respect if anything else.

Drakynn

Novice Member

1/14/13 10:02:41 AM#16
Originally posted by redcapp
It's Cryptic.  Their whole philosophy is to churn out games rapidly, lol.

This.

Their big marketing point when selling hemselves to Atari was the ability to churn out games quickly and relatively cheaply with cash shops firmly in place(Which is pretty standard now for everyone it seems).I'm sure Atari sold them with the saem spiel to PWI too.

Slapshot1188

Elite Member

1/14/13 10:04:27 AM#17
Originally posted by Requiamer

Does the game have anything about D&D franchise? It's an honest question because i have no clue. D&D deserve a hell of a good product imo, by pure respect if anything else.

I am watching both Neverwinter  Pathfinder Online and I think that Pathfinder will likely end up closer to a true D&D experience.  The Pathfinder game is an offshoot of D&D and they are building a sandbox game.  I will probably play both but am most excited by Pathfinder.

Their Kickstarter for PFO  ends today so check it out if it sounds interesting.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

reillan

Apprentice Member

1/14/13 10:35:09 AM#18

I'm personally hoping for a mid-may beta with a june or july relase. Otherwise, I may not finish my thesis and graduate...

Ambros123

Novice Member

1/14/13 12:47:00 PM#19
TSW, SWTOR, GW2 all had only a few months of beta.  STO had a similar timeframe for beta.  They stated early 2013 which Q1 is way too early what with open beta not even gone yet nor any info given out yet.  Q2 might be a possibility.  Chances are the'll update their anticipated launch when they annonce beta this month and start marketing their game.
  Ambros123

Novice Member

1/14/13 12:55:05 PM#20
Originally posted by Slapshot1188
Originally posted by Requiamer

I am watching both Neverwinter  Pathfinder Online and I think that Pathfinder will likely end up closer to a true D&D experience.  The Pathfinder game is an offshoot of D&D and they are building a sandbox game.  I will probably play both but am most excited by Pathfinder.

Their Kickstarter for PFO  ends today so check it out if it sounds interesting.

Really thats comparing apples and oranges.

Neverwinter has the foundry for UGC and the setting will by far fulfill the D&D experiance in terms of a story and an adventure.  Yes linear experiance but to those that like to play D&D for the story and such that is what D&D is.

Pathfinder from the sounds of things is all bout freedom yet there is no way for players to tell a story through created NPCs and such.  Likely a great sandbox game and the openess of choices but lacks story telling tools like the foundry system but has the freedom that PnP has.  But all this is talk by the developers of Pathfinder Online.  I'll believe them when I see a working product and not promises like sooo many promises that previous MMOs also sang and fell flat on their faces in delivering it.

Neverwinter and Pathfinder Online presents extremes imo in D&D.  Those that like the experiance of the lore and story and being the hero vs those that want freedom of choices and actions.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search