Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Star Citizen | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,479 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,703
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/20/13)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Neverwinter Forum » General Discussion » Why Neverwinter just might be the ultimate themepark

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
48 posts found
  Loke666

Elite Member

11/17/12 8:00:39 PM#41
Originally posted by Deleted User

Here me out please.

What is usually the #1 complaint of the modern Themepark MMO today?  If "not enough content at end-game" is your answer then Neverwinter just might be the game for you.  After watching all of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn7iU4EwTc PAX 2012 - Neverwinter Foundry demonstration and Q&A, I left in awe with the possiblities of content coming in at an unprecedent rate.  Imagine never worrying about when that next content patch is, as most likely some interped DM's will be churning out hopefully amazing content every single day.

Now if your idea of content consists of PvP, lolRaiding, or mega-community style events then Neverwinter might not appeal to you.

Now I am not completely sold on the game yet, as I am iffy on their payment model (F2P) and do not know if there is a class I want to play yet (please let Sword Mage be in) plus I am skeptical of the 50/50 persistance/instance areas.  But with the ability to play a plethora of dungeons at will has to be right up there on my list of enjoyment.

You might be right, but both EQ2 and CoH did add similar stuff a while back and it didnt work out that way there.

Biowares old NWN did it right and was very popular for years with plenty of custom content but it wasnt exactly a MMO, the creators run their own servers there so this isnt exactly the same.

The idea is great if it works and is done the right way, but it might also instead add loads of poorly made crap content with far too great rewards so I will wait praising it until I tried it.

jedensuscg

Novice Member

11/17/12 8:02:55 PM#42
Originally posted by AG-Vuk
If you want to get as good feel for what a Cryptic product playes and feels like, put away the hype and videos and go play F2P offerings CO and STO. Same engine, and they are pos. Don't take my word for it, go test them yourselfs. The mechanic for the foundry is already there in STO. So stop watching these professionally done hype vids. 

While STO has had some very bad press, it is not the POS every claims it is.  I personally had fun in the game for far longer them most MMO's tend to keep me having fun. Yes it has it's flaws, but so does every other game.

But despite it's flaws and issues, the foundry in that game was essentially a beta test platform for their development of Neverwinter.  It is far less developed and has less features...

...but players were still able to produce top notch content for it, with great stories and some interesting gameplay.  In my opinion, the Foundry in STO is one of the most revolutionary MMO systems designed in the last decade, and simply due to it being part of an underwhelming game for most, it did not recieve the attention it deserved.

People have been begging for user-created content for years, and the Foundry delivered in STO, and will deliver even more in Neverwinter.  Other developers need to take heed, because if neverwinter fails, it will be because of the rest of its game mechanics, as STO proved the foundry works, providing you have a community willing to design for it (and not be lazy asses and bitch about everyone elses content).

And to all the players bitching about limited hotkey's  Dungeons and Dragons was never about a massive amount of abilities to begin with.  True, alot was imagination, but your character in the P&P version usually focused on a smaller set of abilites.  All D&D games have followed this pattern.  Even casters, with there impressive array of available spells, could only memorize so many at a time.

adam_nox

Advanced Member

11/17/12 8:10:58 PM#43

In CoH the problem was two-fold.  The creator was too limiting.  In a way, the limitations were in the game itself, as many missions were a matter of  1. pick a map 2. pick a section 3. throw enemies in place 4. add dialogue and or quest objectives

There needs to be a bit more too it. 

The second problem was a combination of a glut of low quality missions.  Players generally just suck at that sort of thing, and the system made it difficult to find real quality creations.  The rating system sucked because most missions with high ratings had them for dumb reasons, limited not just to farming quality. 

Remove these problems, add the ability to promote your mission to others using in game or outside currency, and developer-review well-rated missions to either be sunk or exalted by them, and I think it will work well.

xeniar

Novice Member

11/17/12 8:12:26 PM#44

Themepark?

so i dont have to try then. good to know.

adam_nox

Advanced Member

11/17/12 8:28:44 PM#45
Originally posted by xeniar

Themepark?

so i dont have to try then. good to know.

nor do you need to even post really lol.

Vannor

Apprentice Member

11/17/12 8:33:50 PM#46

Themepark?

Neverwinter's most defining feature is a sandbox one. That sandbox feature is the prime reason you say it will be the ultimate 'themepark'...?

... very strange how people think these days.

UNH0LYEV1L

Apprentice Member

11/19/12 10:15:33 AM#47
Originally posted by ShakyMo
There's no skill to wow, its just having the right castsequence macros, grinding the right gear and not standing in fire.

Lots of icons on your toolbar just give the illusion of complexity.

Of course some people don't like this more action style combat from the likes of gw2 & tsw because you have to pay attention. You can't play them while watching tv, where as with wow and other games you could "grind shit" while watching tv. (you sort of can with gw2 though with the right class / build, but that's more down to the game being too easy than there being less icons on the toolbar)

Look at this way, you only have "6 items on your toolbar' with street fighter, but its way more complex combat than mmos.

The best control systems are simple to pick up but have lots of emergent complexity as you get practiced with them and develop your skills. Sticking it right in your have with 40+ skills doesn't make it more complex, especially when you have macros.

Uh no street fighter is the last thing i will compare this too. Fighting games have hundreds of moves because directions and previous skill sequences modify attacks. Ex. High punch punches someone in the face. Down forward high punch throws a fire ball. You cannot tell me moving then hitting your one key on your keyboard does something different...

Spiritsever - AR/Ele - The Secret World
Ashmaker - Ranger < Prophets > - Age of Conan - #1 in Kills
Sweety - Sorceress < Infinite Darkeness > - SWTOR - 2.6K PvP Rating
??? - Pilot - ??? - EVE
Symir - Swordmaster - Warhammer - RR100
Dreadnaught - Rogue - Rift

azzamasin

Hard Core Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

11/20/12 4:23:42 AM#48
Originally posted by Loke666
Originally posted by Deleted User

Here me out please.

What is usually the #1 complaint of the modern Themepark MMO today?  If "not enough content at end-game" is your answer then Neverwinter just might be the game for you.  After watching all of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn7iU4EwTc PAX 2012 - Neverwinter Foundry demonstration and Q&A, I left in awe with the possiblities of content coming in at an unprecedent rate.  Imagine never worrying about when that next content patch is, as most likely some interped DM's will be churning out hopefully amazing content every single day.

Now if your idea of content consists of PvP, lolRaiding, or mega-community style events then Neverwinter might not appeal to you.

Now I am not completely sold on the game yet, as I am iffy on their payment model (F2P) and do not know if there is a class I want to play yet (please let Sword Mage be in) plus I am skeptical of the 50/50 persistance/instance areas.  But with the ability to play a plethora of dungeons at will has to be right up there on my list of enjoyment.

You might be right, but both EQ2 and CoH did add similar stuff a while back and it didnt work out that way there.

Biowares old NWN did it right and was very popular for years with plenty of custom content but it wasnt exactly a MMO, the creators run their own servers there so this isnt exactly the same.

The idea is great if it works and is done the right way, but it might also instead add loads of poorly made crap content with far too great rewards so I will wait praising it until I tried it.

In Neverwinter, the rewards is set by Cryptic and not the author of the content.  A Foundry mission that takes 30 mins to complete will reward identical coinage, loot and XP as a developer created mission.  As for poorly made crap content, yes there will be alot of it and most of it won't get played but they are implementing features for the cream of the crop to raise to the top for easier accessibility.  Theres also a hurdle in the foundry that for your work to get published it first must get pre-approved by 5 User-Generated  playtesters before it gets published to the masses.  First I suspect theres going to be some content that is good to n ot actually get published but the stuff that does get published should be playable by the developers standards.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search