Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Guild Wars 2 | EverQuest | Landmark

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,604 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,312,001
Carbine | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 06/03/14)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$59.99 | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

WildStar Forum » General Discussion » Will Wildstar be a success?

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
86 posts found
  Annekynn

Novice Member

"In lag, no one can hear you scream"

1/24/14 8:15:01 PM#61

Originally posted by Phry
Personally, i think Wildstar is going to be one of those games that is always fighting an uphill battle. Initial box sales might be reasonably good, but i wouldn't expect them to be as good as GW2's, and the game will probably struggle to retain players, not because of subscription model though, but because its not really new.

The game just looks too cartoony, and although thats just appearances, when you put it alongside upcoming games like TESO, as much as i dislike the direction that game took, TESO is a clear winner in the graphics department. But even from the gameplay vids, have to wonder how this game will ever compete against established games, let alone other new releases, i just don't see it. In all seriousness, i'm more likely to play TESO than Wildstar, and Zenimax have to do a tonne of persuading to even get me to touch their game.

So the short answer to the OP's question, will Wildstar be a success is, No, i really don't think it will be.

And I will happily disagree with you about TESO being the "clear winner" because it took the realistic route while Wildstar took the cartoony look. Neither make a game better or worse. What makes things better is when the graphics DO SOMETHING for you. Do they shock you? Inspire you? Scare you? Make you laugh? Make you wonder? See in the end if you look at it and go "meh" then it doesnt matter how good the graphics are. Personally I find TESO to look TERRIBLE as its so stale and generic. This isnt 2005 where realistic graphics were all the rage because weve never seen such in games before. Its been done, and its no longer interesting, so with Wildstar going the cartoony look they are simply unshackling themselves and allowing imagination to dictate rather than realism.

RebelScum99

Apprentice Member

1/24/14 8:23:07 PM#62

It's going to be a successful game.  And it will also receive a ton of hate from people who are tired of the quest hub type games.  

I expect it to be a very successful, but very polarizing game.  

Annekynn

Novice Member

"In lag, no one can hear you scream"

1/24/14 8:34:03 PM#63

Originally posted by RebelScum99
It's going to be a successful game.  And it will also receive a ton of hate from people who are tired of the quest hub type games.  

I doubt it will be polarizing as those who want the opposite of Wildstar will have TESO. So everyone should be happy, one crowd gets the goofy/cartoony and the other gets the serious/realistic. Kumbaya.... kumbaya....

FlyinDutchman87

Advanced Member

1/24/14 9:09:28 PM#64

No idea.

It seems to be the first really well polished MMO to come out in a while. That's something.

I'm guessing it'll be fun. Will it topple wow...... unlikely.

Wow trancended being a game, and became an entire sub-culture. It's hard to topple something where people have spent years of their life. Have met friends, spouses, and have developed and entire digital life. A developers job is to make the best game they can. I think Carbine has done that. Whether Wildstar can become a force unto it's own is up to the people.

Personally I'm not sure there will EVER be another wow. It was the right game at the right time in the right place. That's what let it became "THE" online game. I don't think there NEEDS to be another wow. Just more good games.

Trying to beat wow is what lead to WAR, RIFT, and TOR.  aka... half finished, buggy, crap.

Just make good games. That's all anyone can do.

Hariken

Elite Member

1/24/14 11:25:30 PM#65
I think it will be at first. But what's really going to kill it is its rabid fanbase. Go over to wildstar central and just read some of the post. The game is not even out of beta and the community is filled with aholes.  I just don't get the hype of this game anymore. I think it really does have something to do with those video's they made. They are really fun and well done. But the game will be nothing like those video's because people will be playing the game. And to me the fanbase already is a big turn off for me.  I miss the old days when mmo's were a niche market genre.
  User Deleted
1/24/14 11:30:36 PM#66
Originally posted by Annekynn

Originally posted by RebelScum99

I doubt it will be polarizing as those who want the opposite of Wildstar will have TESO. So everyone should be happy, one crowd gets the goofy/cartoony and the other gets the serious/realistic. Kumbaya.... kumbaya....

The fact that you think ESO is the opposite of Wildstar is hilarious.

Heavy-armor-warrior

Novice Member

Hey is for horses and so is grass. So pucker up and kiss my...well nvm

1/25/14 6:18:02 PM#67

If it can out last TESO, yeah.

But if TESO is what it promises it is... then wildstar my be in a shadow for quite a while.

Then again, if TESO fails people will see wildstar as the MMO super power and not TESO.

So like i said, if TESO fails and wildstar does not, it will be a very big success.

CazNeerg

Novice Member

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." Dark Helmet

1/25/14 6:46:49 PM#68
Originally posted by Heavy-armor-warrior

But if TESO is what it promises it is... then wildstar my be in a shadow for quite a while.

Then again, if TESO fails people will see wildstar as the MMO super power and not TESO. 

So like i said, if TESO fails and wildstar does not, it will be a very big success.

It's unlikely that either will fail.  It is highly likely that both will add extended cash shops and free options before their first year is over.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Siphaed

Hard Core Member

1/26/14 12:23:20 AM#69

I'm curious as to what TESO is promising that makes it look larger-than-life compared to Wildstar?   Wildstar has player housing, world discovery through Paths, PvP siege forts, arenas, and tons of things that have been listed over and over again in this thread. 

It seems that all TESO has going for it's otherwise generic PvE experience is that 3-side PvP thing with an "Emperor" title dangling over all the players' heads to try to obtain.  Sure there are some that are grasping at the idea that "this will finally be the DAoC remade into modern MMO that we've been looking for".  But that same audience said that for WAR, AoC, GW2, and every other game that had some semblance of faction based PvP.    What they're really looking for is the same game with upgraded graphics, and yet they'll never find that at all (every game being different enough to not fulfill their desires).

RebelScum99

Apprentice Member

1/26/14 12:40:27 AM#70
Originally posted by Siphaed

I'm curious as to what TESO is promising that makes it look larger-than-life compared to Wildstar?   Wildstar has player housing, world discovery through Paths, PvP siege forts, arenas, and tons of things that have been listed over and over again in this thread. 

It seems that all TESO has going for it's otherwise generic PvE experience is that 3-side PvP thing with an "Emperor" title dangling over all the players' heads to try to obtain.  Sure there are some that are grasping at the idea that "this will finally be the DAoC remade into modern MMO that we've been looking for".  But that same audience said that for WAR, AoC, GW2, and every other game that had some semblance of faction based PvP.    What they're really looking for is the same game with upgraded graphics, and yet they'll never find that at all (every game being different enough to not fulfill their desires).

This is only my opinion, but, at least from what I've seen, Wildstar seems to be offering more features that TESO.  And there seems to be a lot more intelligence and common sense in the way they designed their game.  TESO's major positive seems to be the IP.  Wildstar doesn't have that to fall back on, so they need to make up for it with a very well-made, polished, and content-rich game.  If their endgame promises to be what they say it will be, I think they will have accomplished that.  

For the record, I'm excited about both games, and plan on playing both at launch.  But, right now, my money is on Wildstar keeping my money for the long haul.

Heavy-armor-warrior

Novice Member

Hey is for horses and so is grass. So pucker up and kiss my...well nvm

1/27/14 2:16:15 AM#71
Originally posted by Siphaed

What is TESO have that wildstar does not? I will be honest and say: i dont know.

TESO is going to be released before wildstar.

TESO already has a huge fan-base. (Skyrim.)

TESO is also promising fun things, and even if those things dont live up to your expectations, the things that it promises still leaves MMO's in the dust.

I am really not trying to insult you nor wildstar at all. Wildstar seems fun but maybe research TESO a little bit more..?

I used to think that wildstar was gonna be my game until i 1.) Started researching TESO. And 2.) Played  the last weekend beta for TESO.

It may not be your MMO, but its still good enough to shadow newer released MMO's.

CazNeerg

Novice Member

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." Dark Helmet

1/27/14 3:24:46 AM#72
Wildstar and ESO, apples and oranges.  Not much point in comparing them in qualitative terms.  In terms of comparitive success, it will just come down to which has a larger audience, the apple or the orange.

The Force shall free me.

AgitatedFromBackThen

Novice Member

1/27/14 3:45:24 PM#73
Will it be a success? No, it will be just another 1 month hitter quitter. People are so desperate for a new mmo lately they would say anything just to play something new.
  Zekiah

Novice Member

Hype (noun)
1. to trick; gull.
2. exaggerated publicity; hoopla.
3. swindle, deception, or trick.

1/27/14 3:52:32 PM#74
Originally posted by ThomasN7
Short term yes like 3-4 months, long term no. WoW clones don't work long term.

This, although I'd put the mark at 1-3 months.

If designers keep rehashing this tired, played out nonsense, expect the MMO genre to continue to decline. 

*taps mic*

Any developers with creativity left out there? Hello?! Bueller?

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

simplius

Novice Member

1/28/14 5:38:44 AM#75
Originally posted by Zekiah

If designers keep rehashing this tired, played out nonsense, expect the MMO genre to continue to decline. 

*taps mic*

most people dont want creative games, they just want an improved version of their old game

the mmo market is growing, competition is getting harder, day by day, in your eyes thats a decline?

i would be very surprised, if wildstar does better, than 800k boxes, and 400k long term subs

AzurePrower

Apprentice Member

Ahh yes, "Hypers." The people who praise and hate every MMORPG... We've dismissed that claim.

1/28/14 11:44:11 AM#76
Originally posted by simplius

*taps mic*

most people dont want creative games, they just want an improved version of their old game

the mmo market is growing, competition is getting harder, day by day, in your eyes thats a decline?

i would be very surprised, if wildstar does better, than 800k boxes, and 400k long term subs

I think many people are underestimating WildStar's Player Housing.

CazNeerg

Novice Member

1/28/14 11:51:28 AM#77

*taps mic*

Decline?  Take a look at reported industry revenue figures lately?

The Force shall free me.

ButeoRegalis

Advanced Member

1/28/14 11:57:14 AM#78

Just like MMOs have to get away from trying to out-WoW WoW, everyone else has to get away from judging MMOs based on whether they are "the WoW killer".

WoW's time has come and gone, right now it's pure inertia that keeps it going.

Remember when everyone had a walkman? Yea, it's like that.

Airwren

Novice Member

2/11/14 2:12:52 AM#79

*taps mic*

I personally feel the game has a bit more staying power than 1 - 3 months.  In my opinion it isn't nearly as bad as SWTOR was and will end up being a nice success for Carbine Studios.  Having beta tested Wildstar for a bit of time I honestly can't say that its a title I would pay for but I think others will be tickled pink about it. 

oubers

Novice Member

2/11/14 2:28:53 AM#80

waw, this thread has alot of epeen measuring up in here :)

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search