Trending Games | ArcheAge | Firefall | WildStar | Landmark

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,926 Users Online:0
Games:733  Posts:6,226,250
Carbine | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 06/03/14)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$59.99 | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

WildStar Forum » General Discussion » Will WildStar be the next Big MMO?

10 Pages First « 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » Search
184 posts found
  Livnthedream

Novice Member

I like this planet, YOU get off!

5/11/13 5:06:31 PM#121
Originally posted by danwest58

Yep agreed.  The problem is the small ran fan base of 40 man raids see a goldmine here when its just a mold hill.  It took 5 Million people to make 40 man raids happen.  WildStar will not have that community for all people think .  Alls people have to do is look at WoW and see that 92% of all raiding guilds are 10 man raiding guilds.  Logic can tell you that 40 man raids equals failed.  Dont believe me?  Rift tried to bring back 20 man raids, how many subs does that game have?  500K at best, most likely less than 300K and guess what 20 man raiding is failing in Rift unless you are a hardcore player.  

I would disagree that it is "dieing" in Rift. But the bigger problem with your entire post is the assumption that raiding has ever been for anyone BUT the hardcore. "Casuals" have never had a place in raiding. Please keep in mind though that there is far more than raiding to the game. I think you should read this  http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/jeremy-gaffney-posts-on-elder-game-content-5-5-2013.2985/ as it outlines it far better than I ever could. There is also some more interesting back and forth in that entire thread.

http://chroniclesofthenerds.com/nerdfight/

Y U NO FLIP TABLE?!?!?!

MMOPapa

Novice Member

There's a reason you can't spell Deadline without the word 'dead'.

5/11/13 10:26:51 PM#122
 Rift tried to bring back 20 man raids, how many subs does that game have?  500K at best, most likely less than 300K and guess what 20 man raiding is failing in Rift unless you are a hardcore player.  

Last recorded number of subscribing players was just under 250k.

ThomasN7

Apprentice Member

"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.” - Mordin Solus

5/11/13 10:29:44 PM#123
Far from the next big mmo. I think it will be just as good as Rift if not worse. Time of the theme park is over. 
  Vyeth

Apprentice Member

Celebrated pariah of MMORPG.com

5/11/13 10:33:24 PM#124

On launch day, there will be huge queues.. The server will probably crash from all the people logging in.. There will be anger.. There will be posts.. There will be favorable reviews.. There will be videos, guides and faqs.. A wiki.. Lots of commentators...

But that is every new MMO..

Out of curiosity what would it take to be considered the next "BIG" MMO?

erictlewis

Apprentice Member

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

5/11/13 10:38:11 PM#125

No the art style is not suited for those of us in the United states, it looks like another wow with updated graphics and quite frankly I am not interested in the least about the anime style of art they use. 

Arcona

Advanced Member

5/12/13 4:58:20 AM#126
Originally posted by Roxtarr

seamless zones

Love seamless zones. People bash WoW, but the seamless zones was so good.

I hope ESO have seamless zones too

Gnarv

Advanced Member

5/13/13 8:53:34 AM#127
Originally posted by erictlewis

No the art style is not suited for those of us in the United states, it looks like another wow with updated graphics and quite frankly I am not interested in the least about the anime style of art they use. 

Ditto, thou I am European. Unless the game turns out to be deep, diverse and challenging with a friendly community to a degree where it negates this horrible artstyle I would'nt touch it either. Archeage is a better bet in my book, even thou it has that manga touch in their artwork, it is likely alot deeper and certainly infinitely more beautiful.

FoxyShoxzy

Novice Member

5/13/13 9:48:41 AM#128
Originally posted by Livnthedream

I would disagree that it is "dieing" in Rift. But the bigger problem with your entire post is the assumption that raiding has ever been for anyone BUT the hardcore. "Casuals" have never had a place in raiding.

I find this kind of elitist attitude to be very common in the Wildstar pre-launch community.

Fdzzaigl

Elite Member

5/13/13 9:57:55 AM#129

Probably not.

You know, after playing WoW again, I really "get it". WoW just has this ephemereal quality of being addicting and somehow keeping people entertained for a long time because they're invested in it, that other games can't capture just as well.

I can't really put into words how it does this, I think it's a combination of an established name and fame together with being many people's first MMO experience (because of the franchise) and constant changes / updates.

However, I do believe Wildstar could potentially make a strong niche of its own and grow from there. That's the only way for MMO's post-WoW to succeed imo: they need to battle their way to the top. It's something a number of asian mmo's have done in their respective regions.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Xstyles

Novice Member

5/13/13 10:27:08 AM#130
Originally posted by The1ceQueen

I doubt Wildstar will be the next big hit. I suspect the next big hit mmo will have to be different & newly innovative. We're sick of more of the same in mmos.

Yep agreed.  The problem is the small ran fan base of 40 man raids see a goldmine here when its just a mold hill.  It took 5 Million people to make 40 man raids happen.  WildStar will not have that community for all people think .  Alls people have to do is look at WoW and see that 92% of all raiding guilds are 10 man raiding guilds.  Logic can tell you that 40 man raids equals failed.  Dont believe me?  Rift tried to bring back 20 man raids, how many subs does that game have?  500K at best, most likely less than 300K and guess what 20 man raiding is failing in Rift unless you are a hardcore player.  

I played on a private vanilla WoW server a year ago and trust me, 40 man raids happened all the time. And there was around 2500 players divided on both sides, not 5 millions.. The reason why it didn't happen for many people in vanilla WoW, was because:

-PUGs were non existant

-Ppl were not used to MMORPGs

-Ppl were scared of raids because they heard that they were harder than they actually were.

-Raids were extremely time consuming and so were instances

-A lot of people had no idea how to gear or spec their character. I remember seeing lots of PvP specced warriors trying to tank in green+blue dps gear.

I'm sure that Wildstar will not be the next big thing, because nothing ever will. It's hyped, yes, and a lot of people will be dissapointed because you always expect more than a game can deliver. But 40 man raids can without a doubt happen and the game will survive.

Xstyles

Novice Member

5/13/13 10:34:23 AM#131
Originally posted by FoxyShoxzy

I would disagree that it is "dieing" in Rift. But the bigger problem with your entire post is the assumption that raiding has ever been for anyone BUT the hardcore. "Casuals" have never had a place in raiding.

I find this kind of elitist attitude to be very common in the Wildstar pre-launch community.

I find it amusing. I do not believe that there's still a lot of people who sit 6-8 hours in front of the computer each day, playing the same game. This is what I define in Hardcore. Gamers have learned that there's something outside the computer screen and developers have learned that they must cater to the casuals if they want their game to live, because they are 95% of their playerbase.

If players like Livinthedream are expecting Wildstar to be super hardcore then they're in for a huge dissapointment.

Livnthedream

Novice Member

5/13/13 10:52:46 AM#132
Originally posted by FoxyShoxzy

What I find funny about your attitude is that you think the word "elitism" is somehow bad. LFR was made for casuals, as are the "group events" of Gw2 and Rift. Number of players does not a raid make.

Originally posted by Xstylesbase.

If players like Livinthedream are expecting Wildstar to be super hardcore then they're in for a huge dissapointment.

Super hardcore? Nowhere near in its entirety. I am not a moron. I do believe that they will cater certain pieces of content to their respective niches. If any team will do it this team will. To do anything else would be tantamount to political suicide.

Y U NO FLIP TABLE?!?!?!

Akaishen

Novice Member

5/13/13 10:52:46 AM#133

A game doesn't have to pick one demographic. WildStar has content for hardcore players and content for casuals. What's so wrong about providing good quality content for more people? The game is about playing how you want, so it's pretty critical for Carbine to ensure that hardcore content and casual content are well balanced.

Carbine also said they are building a game they want to play and they want large raids. This content is only meant for the top 5% of players. If you don't want to participate, there's no need to. They also said that 65% of their players are solo players and their largest focus is on end-game content. This sounds fantastic to me because I enjoy the solo play and I don't do raids.

KatlaOdindottir

Novice Member

5/13/13 10:56:28 AM#134
It looks ok, and will be ok, but the next big MMO is WoD without doubt.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

Caldrin

Hard Core Member

5/13/13 10:57:39 AM#135
Originally posted by funcon
It kinda has the WoW look with the graphics but it does everything better than WoW. I think a lot of WoW players will move on to WildStar. And does anyone know if WildStar will be B2P or monthy fee?

Are you asking if Wildstar will be the wow killer.. geez i thought you would have learnt by now....

No it wont be the next big thing.. no wow clone will ever be the next big thing..

It will be something that is a lot different from wow..

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/13/13 10:58:37 AM#136
It looks,

Plastic, linear, easy & grind to "win"

So will probably be a huge success
  Livnthedream

Novice Member

5/13/13 11:01:23 AM#137
Originally posted by Caldrin

Are you asking if Wildstar will be the wow killer.. geez i thought you would have learnt by now....

No it wont be the next big thing.. no wow clone will ever be the next big thing..

I don't think anyone with a shred of intelligence actually believes there will be a "wowkiller".

I do think that with this team and the way they have been building hype it has the most potential of any game in a very long time.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
It looks,

Plastic, linear, easy & grind to "win"

So will probably be a huge success

Sorry Mo, its not pvpz iz teh best0rz.

Though you have to admit Warplots look pretty interesting.

Y U NO FLIP TABLE?!?!?!

Odinthedark1

Novice Member

"A fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

5/13/13 11:01:55 AM#138

Depends if it will ever even be released =/

<---Still waiting for beta invite

Caldrin

Hard Core Member

5/13/13 11:05:14 AM#139
Originally posted by Caldrin

I don't think anyone with a shred of intelligence actually believes there will be a "wowkiller".

I do think that with this team and the way they have been building hype it has the most potential of any game in a very long time.

A lot of people said the same thing about GW2 and it turned out to be a very boring game.. still will have to wait and see but nothing i have seen of Wildstar makes me think "wow i want to play that game"

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/13/13 11:16:21 AM#140
Nah warplots look boring, like battlegrounds pretending to not be battlegrounds.

Bit like lwg then.
10 Pages First « 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » Search