Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | EverQuest | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,902,254 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,276,043
Carbine | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 06/03/14)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$59.99 | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

WildStar Forum » General Discussion » The reason Wildstar looks like WoW

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
67 posts found
  GoldenTiger2

Novice Member

4/14/13 9:33:22 PM#41
Originally posted by asmkm22
It looks like WoW and that's not a good thing at all.  My love for WoW has always been *despite* it's graphics.  The fact that we're talking about a new game that looks like another game that's almost 10 years old is pretty bad.

Agreed... stylized art is fine, but low-res textures with low model polycounts and seeming lack of any  post-processing effects will make it age poorly, rather than gracefully. I felt like I had time-warped back to 2005 when I watched the videos :(. There seems to be a bit of HDR ramping and that's about it, with blurry textures, fairly jaggy models, and a gorgeous overall color pallette. The art style is good, but the technical implementation of it looks BAD so far :(.

Coated

Hard Core Member

4/14/13 9:40:29 PM#42
Originally posted by Margulis

Probably went with this style so that they wouldn't have to deal with people with older computers not being able to play it.  But it's going to hurt them some, a lot of people don't like the cartoony look and so far the largest amount of negative comments I've seen directed towards the game, EASILY, has to do with the graphics and their similarity to wow.

Agreed. It is a double edged sword.

We will see how this goes. You have to make up a lot, in terms of game play, to keep the people who aren't interested in that cartoony style. From what I have seen, this game takes generic and makes it intuitive. Other games have also taken this approach, Rift just being one off the top of my head. A lot will depend on when this is released and the competition that is around at that time.

I'm still waiting for that east meets west MMORPG and this game is pure west.

Thupli

Advanced Member

4/14/13 10:39:49 PM#43

Personally I love this style of art.

I like several of the things that they talk about.  TALK about.  If it is a B2P model like GW2 I will buy this with no problems or complaints, even if it's just a wow clone [though I think it is really more like a wow 2.0, which I could dig for quite a while, probably].

I will say that I agree with a post above about the telegraphs.  I do think that they need them, because you can make some cool shapes and patterns that require better and more difficult dodging.  BUT, I personally think they need to outline them and not make them solid.  Solid red is just obnoxious and lame, IMO.  Heck, at least make it a slider of how faded telegraphing is displayed.

Methios

Apprentice Member

4/14/13 11:15:50 PM#44
Originally posted by Siveria

Focusing only on endgame is honestly what is destroying mmo's, they focus too much on the end and not enough on the journey to get there. The problem is they don't put enough stuff in it do at endgame, so players end up just logging out between raids due to nothing to do (which if it gets to that point why are they so stupid to keep paying a sub to login once a week? may as well quit), I'd like to see a mmo offer stuff to do at endgame that does not fully revolve around raid instances only, maybe even have some stuff you can do after raids that needs the gear from them. I also pray to the goddess they don't make special pvp gear, everyone should have to raid for the best gear, to use it in pve or pvp, and have it be the same gearset for both modes.

The game does sound very ambitious, but if its like most mmo's these days, it will probally fail to deliver. Look at swtor as a prime example. It would be really nice though fi they actually do deliver on what they promise but I have honestly never seen it done.

How that work out for GW2?  Also there is a lot to do in this game if you have looked into it.  I am not sold on this game but it looks very promising compared to other MMO's coming out and already out at the moment.  

Kinchyle

Novice Member

4/14/13 11:23:04 PM#45
Originally posted by Sodahz

Focusing only on endgame is honestly what is destroying mmo's, they focus too much on the end and not enough on the journey to get there. The problem is they don't put enough stuff in it do at endgame, so players end up just logging out between raids due to nothing to do (which if it gets to that point why are they so stupid to keep paying a sub to login once a week? may as well quit), I'd like to see a mmo offer stuff to do at endgame that does not fully revolve around raid instances only, maybe even have some stuff you can do after raids that needs the gear from them. I also pray to the goddess they don't make special pvp gear, everyone should have to raid for the best gear, to use it in pve or pvp, and have it be the same gearset for both modes.

The game does sound very ambitious, but if its like most mmo's these days, it will probally fail to deliver. Look at swtor as a prime example. It would be really nice though fi they actually do deliver on what they promise but I have honestly never seen it done.

How that work out for GW2?  Also there is a lot to do in this game if you have looked into it.  I am not sold on this game but it looks very promising compared to other MMO's coming out and already out at the moment.  

Works out great for GW2. Because most "rush to endgame" whiners leave and the rest of us play and have a blast. People in GW2 know what awaits them and seem to like it (though they do want more and changes to make it even better). I have four 80 and I'm not even worried about what to do. I may some day get bored. I did that with WoW after testing and playing through they first three years. Just like most games I s'pose.

Wildstar looks to have a ton to do, which is awesome and I hope I get the chance to play.

But to the point...if you can call it that...of the thread...

It only looks like WoW to passers by. People who stop and look, have no idea what you are friggin talking about.

:P

itchmon

Elite Member

4/14/13 11:30:39 PM#46

i think the art direction matters more than the actual quality of the graphisc in the long run.

wow, ff11 and eve all have graphics that arent the best, but the style of art is very consistant and everything feels like it belongs.

I also appreciate humour in a game and i'm glad the folks at wildstar are adding that.  it's good never to take things too seriously :)  If the wildstar folks deliver on their promise we're going to have a winner.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Cetra

Apprentice Member

4/14/13 11:31:01 PM#47

I like wildstar graphics. Somwhow i feel very comfortable looking at it. 

There are MMOs that try to use realistic textures and it either look horrible or too artifical.

Wildstar/WoW style of graphics is just right. It looks comfy and pleasing to the eye. Feels fun. 

neorandom

Novice Member

4/14/13 11:32:33 PM#48
Originally posted by Alber_gamer

Won't be touching Wildstar with a 10 meter pole due to their dated graphics. I can see my nephew playing Wildstar, but that's also why he has a Wii and I have a XBox360. I mean, he's 13 years old.

wii u > 360, the new touchscreen game pad > anything sony or microsoft offer atm, its that awesome, the ps4 and xbox 720 better copy it or theyll suck.

kostoslav

Novice Member

4/15/13 12:20:27 AM#49
I think cartoony mmo age better
  User Deleted
4/15/13 2:56:42 AM#50
Originally posted by itchmon

wow, ff11 and eve all have graphics that arent the best, but the style of art is very consistant and everything feels like it belongs.

Consistency is important but I laughed a little bit when I thought of the fact that EVE by the time Wildstar launches will have surrpassed it graphically.

User Deleted
4/15/13 3:00:05 AM#51
It looks nice :)
  Fusion

Old School

4/17/13 6:05:56 AM#52

To me, wildstar looks like wildstar.

Currently playing: -

Waiting for: Class4.

Dead and Buried: ESO, NWO, GW2, SWTOR, Darkfall, AO, AC2, Vanguard, CoH/V, EnB, EVE, Neocron, FE, EQ, EQ2, DAoC, FFXI, FFXIV, SWG, WoW, and billions of eastern junks!

Garainis

Novice Member

4/17/13 4:21:20 PM#53
I would say that that it looks more like Disney/Pixar movies. Just because it`s cartoony doesn`t automatically mean it looks like WoW.

aesperus

Hard Core Member

4/17/13 4:26:25 PM#54

OP may want to revise his post.

'some' of the devs from WoW are working on Wildstar. That's not as big of a deal as you might think when looking at the gaming industry. The gaming industry is getting smaller every year (just look at the studio closing), and devs quite often get shipped around from studio to studio or freelance.

If you're under the impression that the Wildstar is somehow WoW's dev team, that's a bit of an over-exaggeration, though undoubtably some of the game is influenced by some of the people who made WoW.

Mtibbs1989

Elite Member

4/17/13 4:32:34 PM#55

Lets just hope you're right about Wildstar and their dev.'s I'm growing bored of games that are too easy to play. There's no feel of achievement after getting to a "high" level. You're no better than anyone else unless you have "better" gear. Which is boring in my opinon.

I'm competitive and I love it when an MMO challenges and rewards those who put hardwork through the grind in the game. They have the dedication and commitment to their character. Which is what's lacking in current games like SWTOR, Tera, Raiderz, World of Warcraft, Everquest 2, Aion, Age of Conan, Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, I can keep going on with this list. While these are great games. Their longevity does not hold a customers attention long enough.

It's easier to say that they're making a more hardcore game than actually doing so. So, I'll hold off until I hear the final verdict. This game is not hyping me up. However, they do have an interesting spin on everything and I do admire that type of art style; I myself draw in similar aspects.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Shubawkss

Novice Member

4/17/13 6:46:24 PM#56
Originally posted by DamonVile

I don't care if it looks like wow. I didn't love wow's look but I didn't hate it. I care about how it plays. It's going to be similar to wow because all MMOs are on some lvl. From what I've seen so far it looks like it's going to be it's own game dispite taking some things from older mmos.

I want to play it before I judge it just another wow clone or not. People calling it that now don't know enough to be anything more that the typical forum hater.

To me it looks like a carbon copy of wow honestly, same combat system, same style of graphics. I just hope its not another mmo where you hit the lv cap in 2-3 days solo, I hope they make it a very group oriented mmo... though this is wishful thinking. I'd like it to be made where you can solo but its like much slower than solo, and have it so many of the activities(almost all) require a full party to be able to do it. I am personally tired of these singleplayer mmorpg's, There is no mmo aspect when you can solo thru most of the game.

On a bigger note: I hope they make raid gear actually worth getting, as in they put in non-raid activities that are rewarding and are diffcult enough where you need the raid gear to do them as well as a large party/raid (rift is an example). I also hope it has something like an Alternate advacement system ala EQ2, or the merit system from ff11, so there is a reason to log the char in other than raid day.

All I can say is if the game is too much like wow, it might end up like swtor, dead by the 3rd month

Are you retarded?

aRtFuLThinG

Elite Member

4/17/13 7:01:13 PM#57
Originally posted by asmkm22
It looks like WoW and that's not a good thing at all.  My love for WoW has always been *despite* it's graphics.  The fact that we're talking about a new game that looks like another game that's almost 10 years old is pretty bad.

It doesn't look like WoW at all. Nothing at all.

1. Men in WoW don't have accentuated jaws

2. Women in Wildstar has big mouths

3. Men, women and elves in WoW actually looks manga-ish, whereas humans in Wildstar looks Disney-like cartoonly.

4. There is no hulking man that looks stoish or mean in WoW - there is only ugly hulking fat man like those undead beasts (in fact, that side of the art direction more similar to Anarchy Online than WoW).

So no, absolutely no similarity whatsoever.

If you gonna put all comic-like toon appearances games in one basket you might as well throw SWTOR, Scarlet Blade, GW2 all in the mix too - since technically they all look comical.

The only few that DON'T look comical are TSW, AoC and LoTRO.

Famfrit

Novice Member

4/17/13 7:28:49 PM#58
So Rift and GW2 look exactly the same then is what you are saying?

Tokenaru

Novice Member

4/17/13 7:34:33 PM#59
I think it looks way better than WoW, im looking forward to this game.  I think Telegraphs in pve and pvp will make the game skill based which is somthing WoW desperatly lacks.  A popular phrase comes to mind when I think of this title, "I brought you into this world and I can take you out."  Who more fitting to take wow down than the ones who creatd it?  Exciting times ppl.
  Deerhunter71

Novice Member

4/18/13 9:40:47 AM#60
Looks or not I like the direction they are taking and love how they are doing the housing.  VERY cool and hope to get into beta sometime.
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search