Trending Games | Wizard101 | World of Warcraft | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,899,368 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,268,136
Carbine | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 06/03/14)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$59.99 | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

WildStar Forum » General Discussion » Wildstar want to do anything but WOW

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
53 posts found
  sportsfan

Advanced Member

2/07/13 3:53:58 AM#21
Originally posted by Yaumul

Anything but WoW... except the art style which is almost identical. Check out this shot:

http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/231535.jpg

The screenshot looks like it could have been taken in the Barrens from WoW.

The designer just wants to spin something out of the anti Blizzard-WOW stuff on forums.

It is the X th proof this industry is in a downward spiral that will only hit the bottom of the barrel with a complete shake off in a few years time.

Rthuth434

Novice Member

4/03/13 3:42:35 PM#22

look how that quote turned out.

- game almost identical to WoW visually

- battleground structure the same

- dungeon setup the same

- raiding endgame focus

- pvp arena setup the same

oh but we added housing totally not WoW!

Bladestrom

Elite Member

4/03/13 3:46:28 PM#23
The game is abviously targetted at the wow audiance, its yet another company taking the flawed position that they will somehow draw masses of wow players away with a new fresh but WOW like experience.  It fails to aknowledge the failed attempts at this in the past due to the fact that the wow population are not going to leave wow for another wow, it will not happen.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW (1000 hrs on main mage)> oblivion > LOTR (480 Hunter) > Rift (230 hours mage) > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(900 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3

Waldoe

Novice Member

4/03/13 3:46:31 PM#24
Originally posted by Karteli

I loved the housing trailer for this game and it generated some interest with me.

But then I saw trailers and videos of the combat, and that killed everything.  Essentially you get bright red shapes all over the ground showing you exactly where a mob is going and where they plan on attacking next.  Works for melee, ranged weapons, thrown objects, fire breath, everything.  You always get a warning .. It just seems so dumbed down now for me :(

Example picture .. the red shapes could be circles, triangles, cones, etc, depending on the attack .. It just seems so mindless and numbing :(  Don't stand in the red stuff .. Zzzzz....

Which can be turned off like it has been said many other times. Do you post the same complaint in every WS thread?

EvolvedMonky

Novice Member

4/03/13 3:58:13 PM#25
Originally posted by Crunchy222
Originally posted by tordurbar
As I posted before I am looking for a wow-better game and this "anything but wow" comment really depressed me. Today's Wildstar updates made me feel much better. Now they are saying that they are "improving on wow". They are doing just what wow did when it started - taking the best of the current mmos. Carbine is taking ideas from wow, gw2 and even swtor. That is what I am looking for, not something completely different, just something that takes the best of everything else - all the FUN things.

Heres the problem with a wow-better game.  WOW has like a decade and a half of polish behind it, the basics of that game are flawless.  If you into that style of game, and enjoy wow...your going to have to trade heavily looks for mechanics.  This is the flaw with everyone and their mother trying to make the next wow...the basics are the same, and for those of us who never got into those basics to begin with, we are stuck with attempt after failed attempt to reinvent the wheel.

The problem is, everytime they say its going to not be like wow...it ends up being the same game with a slight twist here and slight modification there.  Your still quest hubbing (dynamic or non dynamic lol) in a mad dash to race to the end so you can instance your pvp and pve, grind for gear, with the occasional attempt to bring the instance pvp into an open world type instance. 

Combat in this game does look like an improvement...however it looks so incredibly dumbed down and easy that it wont matter much...to me it seems like wow raids on a normal mob level type deal where you have to dance out of the super obvious "dont stand there" attacks.

Real question is...whats this game geared towards...mindless mad dash to endgame then...then what....instanced pvp, raids...hard mode dungeons...my guess is yes, thats endgame, the same game model again, with some new stuff.

Problem is the new stuff is typically during the mad dash to endgame part of the game, people tend to blackout from racing so fast and dont even notice...all they see are pvp queues, tierd gear, hard mode dungeons and raids....again...for the 100th time.

If this is what your looking for, youll probably love the game to death as you race to endgame, still love it for a few weeks or month while at endgame, then probably go back to your old game once the rest of the community whos fed up with these types of games wanders off in a fit of rage.  Why they keep going back for the same punishment, same cycle of hype/dissapointment/rage is beyond me...

Someday we will get some new game mechanics to enjoy

Waldoe

Novice Member

4/03/13 4:29:18 PM#26
Originally posted by Rthuth434

- dungeon setup the same

- raiding endgame focus

-The art style is similar, but the amount of detail in characters and environments is far superior to WoW.

-Since when does WoW give me the ability to build a fortress (warplot) and PvP against other groups/guilds?

-My Warplot can also spawn raid bosses I have beat in the past on my enemies. Can WoW do that?

-Does the available raid content in WoW change every couple weeks so it does not get stale? I don't think so.

-Does WoW have different paths that you can go on based on the play style you like?

Really seems like a clone to me. People throw around the term WoW clone like it is their job. So funny. 

Margulis

Advanced Member

4/03/13 4:38:33 PM#27
Originally posted by Nadia

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/15/wildstar-aims-to-be-anything-but-wow/

(Executive Producer Jeremy Gaffney ) was asked what sets this MMO apart from the pack.

Gaffney had a laundry list in reply, saying that the largely ex-Blizzard team's motto is, "We just crunched for six years, we want to do anything but WoW."

Layered content is a big buzz-phrase for WildStar, and Gaffney attempted to provide an example of the game's flexibility. "You're on a mission to kill alien jungle cats. You see one that's irradiated and start scanning it. Or it's too tough, so you scare some prey away from you into the cats, and they start attacking the prey, and then you jump in when everyone is weakened. They're tough, so you see a huntress and drag them to her to get her cheering on for rep -- you see a second huntress and now you're bouncing between them for double rep rewards."

Uhhhhhhh, from the game bringing back the WOW 40 man raids, nearly identical graphics, same quest icons for quest givers, etc etc etc, I'm thinking that must be an April Fool's statement.  Sure they have a good bit of new stuff that looks fun, but making comments like that is just stupid on the developers part.

nbtscan

Advanced Member

4/03/13 5:32:25 PM#28
I'm sure this game will have some interesting gimmicks, but I just can't get past the art style of the game.  I had the same issue with GW2 while it was in beta, but I understand the graphics got better since then.  The gameplay didn't really intrigue me in that either though.
  Doogiehowser

Novice Member

4/03/13 5:35:08 PM#29

40 man raids, NPC standing around with quest icons over their heads, kill x and collect y quests, art style and graphics which could easily confuse people into thinking they are watching WOW videos. 

I am sure they are trying to make anything but WOW.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

User Deleted
4/03/13 5:42:11 PM#30
Originally posted by Nadia

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/15/wildstar-aims-to-be-anything-but-wow/

(Executive Producer Jeremy Gaffney ) was asked what sets this MMO apart from the pack.

Gaffney had a laundry list in reply, saying that the largely ex-Blizzard team's motto is, "We just crunched for six years, we want to do anything but WoW."

Layered content is a big buzz-phrase for WildStar, and Gaffney attempted to provide an example of the game's flexibility. "You're on a mission to kill alien jungle cats. You see one that's irradiated and start scanning it. Or it's too tough, so you scare some prey away from you into the cats, and they start attacking the prey, and then you jump in when everyone is weakened. They're tough, so you see a huntress and drag them to her to get her cheering on for rep -- you see a second huntress and now you're bouncing between them for double rep rewards."

Except that all the content / design releases to date have indicated that it is pretty much WoW 2.0.

Not saying that is a bad thing, there is certainly a market for it with WoW getting long in the tooth, but this is just PR spin.

MiserySignal

Advanced Member

The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy - Friedrich Nietzsche

4/03/13 8:03:00 PM#31

As for me, the WoW look is a great thing. Why? Simple because I've enjoyed WoW for a very long time. Yes I went like downward spiral since TBC but seriously, a game that tries to emulate the things that made early WoW great with their own additions (paths, housing, restructure raid content weekly) is what makes this game so interesting. 

The only question that I ask myself: Those that complain that game ''looks'' and ''feel'' like WoW. Did you play WoW? Have you enjoyed it? If not, why not just move on to a sandbox MMO or something and leave those that actually think that this game is good news.

I still have great hopes for this game. It's WoW without being WoW.

Thupli

Advanced Member

4/03/13 8:45:46 PM#32

I like cartoon graphics, partly because it reminds me that this is fantasy.  It is also timeless art.

I have plenty of realism n the real world... Rive me graphics like wild star and wow, please.  Excited by the developed and deepened mechanics that they are working on.

i hope that it is b2p like gw2.

Margulis

Advanced Member

4/03/13 10:11:26 PM#33
Originally posted by Waldoe

- dungeon setup the same

- raiding endgame focus

-The art style is similar, but the amount of detail in characters and environments is far superior to WoW.

-Since when does WoW give me the ability to build a fortress (warplot) and PvP against other groups/guilds?

-My Warplot can also spawn raid bosses I have beat in the past on my enemies. Can WoW do that?

-Does the available raid content in WoW change every couple weeks so it does not get stale? I don't think so.

-Does WoW have different paths that you can go on based on the play style you like?

Really seems like a clone to me. People throw around the term WoW clone like it is their job. So funny. 

Sounds like you've convinced yourself it's nothing like wow!  Good job!

Vembumees

Novice Member

4/04/13 12:59:50 AM#34
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!
  Hedeon

Advanced Member

4/04/13 1:25:58 AM#35
Originally posted by Margulis
Originally posted by Waldoe

- dungeon setup the same

- raiding endgame focus

Sounds like you've convinced yourself it's nothing like wow!  Good job!

indeed the whole term WoW clone would have no meaning if it wouldnt be a clone because they added afew features...even though I like the WoW 2.0 better, since WS imo looks like a greatly improved "WoW game"

do hope to get into "beta" when it is closed to be released though, am intrested in the game but have been afew turn offs - I for one though aint throwing a game out because of afew things aint perfect for me...am just scared I ll end up play this game with my 7 yo niece, since she have shown more intrest than my wife and friends ><

stromp45

Advanced Member

4/04/13 4:47:47 PM#36
I really dont understand the wow clone thing wow is a clone from eq . eq is a clone from uo its all the same thing kill this or craft that but who cares. its the way they make it a little differnt and this game looks kick arse cant wait til it comes out . i like that you can get higher lv from exploring or crafting and the houseing is sweet . will there be go kill 10 pigs and bring back the meat  of corse all games got that .
  mrbungle419

Apprentice Member

4/05/13 4:08:16 AM#37

Yeah, they are really getting away from WoW with the LFD; 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 areans; battlegrounds, collection quests and cartoony graphics.

I am sure they will have some interesting stuff that is unique, but the spirit of this game certainly looks to be the same as WoW.

Margulis

Advanced Member

4/05/13 4:15:25 PM#38
Originally posted by stromp45
I really dont understand the wow clone thing wow is a clone from eq . eq is a clone from uo its all the same thing kill this or craft that but who cares. its the way they make it a little differnt and this game looks kick arse cant wait til it comes out . i like that you can get higher lv from exploring or crafting and the houseing is sweet . will there be go kill 10 pigs and bring back the meat  of corse all games got that .

Just like all women are just the same thing right?  Sure, try to convince some guys that the super model over there is just the same thing as that 300 pound whale over there (beause ultimately they are just the same anyway right?  Women, 2 legs arms and eyes - they are all clones).

Clone label is deserved, especailly when it LOOKS just like what it is being referred to.  It doesn't look like eq - it looks like wow, argue the semantics of why it should be called a clone of any mmo as much as wow all you want, doesn't change mine or many other people's opinion.

Vembumees

Novice Member

4/05/13 6:28:52 PM#39

I remember many year ago, some of my friends told me to watch family guy, that show is hilarious. Still to this day I remember that...horror. I sat on my couch, turned on the tv and patiently waited for the show to begin. Then I saw it. The opening. I watched it all through and could barely hold it. The sight was sickening. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. That's what the world has come to? This is what they air these days? The entire show...was a copy of wow. They absolutely copied wow. Zero originality. The entire show looks like world of warcraft. That's simply ridiculous. Why do people even watch that shit? Instantaniously I just threw my television set out of the window and jumped out of my window.

Originally posted by Yaumul

Anything but WoW... except the art style which is almost identical. Check out this shot:

http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/231535.jpg

The screenshot looks like it could have been taken in the Barrens from WoW.

I know, my friend! Is that even legal? These guys should get sued for copying wauw! I also saw another game like that today. Look at this. These phonies, again, just a copy of barrens. That is ridiculous. They even took the same mobs like in barrens! There are hounds exactly like that at the back of the barrens too, near exactly the same bushes! And look its the everyday barrens alliance ganker too! I hate thse phonies. I HATE THEM. Can't at least one game out there have original ideas that they just didn't copy off WoW???

No it doesn't stop here, look at this. Look, what does this next picture remind you. Exactly! It's Stormwind!! Can you believe it? Stormwind, in that game, that's ridiculous. Thieves I tell you, can you guess what that castle is surrounded with? A forest. I know, I was amazed too. Complete copy of elwynn forest. There are even same kind of buildings and npcs there. I can't believe that these people are getting paid to do this. Con artists!

Swamp of sorrows! Copy paste!

They even copied the cataclysm underwater area! Those...those....trolls!

can u believe this???? what does this look like to u?

I am done with these games, I will go buy a lifetime world of warcraft subscription. I am done with all these cloning unoriginal stealing thief scum thug phonies.

User Deleted
4/05/13 6:33:04 PM#40

enhanced wow in space,people will love it and theres nothing wrong with that except they must do that enhanced part first.

checking my mirrorball ,there will be housing in WoW soon™

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search