Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft | ArcheAge | Shards

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,513 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,294,763
Carbine | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 06/03/14)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$59.99 | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

WildStar Forum » General Discussion » Really wanted to play this one.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
30 posts found
  AlBQuirky

Spotlight Poster

Tomorrow's just a future yesterday...

12/13/12 2:21:53 PM#21

[EDIT]
sorry... did not want to derail the thread :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Sasami

Novice Member

12/18/12 9:52:28 AM#22
Originally posted by jeolman

the manner is they pulled the plug without warning, and all the while allowing paragon studio to continue developing and maketing future content that was generating a reveue stream both in the form of continuing subscriptions and micro transaction. 

COH was still making a profit, it was not a drain on thier botom line, like some other titles they publis are.

Pff, you don't know what the true motives where behind. CoH was very old game, perhaps based on techniques that were expensive to upkeep in long term. Just because something makes few bucks every month it isn't wise business, cost structures of huge company like NcSoft are really hard to understand even inside company. MMOs just die simply because everything has to end someday.

[mod edit]

Wraithone

Hard Core Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

12/19/12 8:23:41 PM#23
Originally posted by Sasami

the manner is they pulled the plug without warning, and all the while allowing paragon studio to continue developing and maketing future content that was generating a reveue stream both in the form of continuing subscriptions and micro transaction. 

COH was still making a profit, it was not a drain on thier botom line, like some other titles they publis are.

Pff, you don't know what the true motives where behind. CoH was very old game, perhaps based on techniques that were expensive to upkeep in long term. Just because something makes few bucks every month it isn't wise business, cost structures of huge company like NcSoft are really hard to understand even inside company. MMOs just die simply because everything has to end someday.

[mod edit]

Might I suggest that you don't know the motives either?  No one out side of NCsofts high suit levels, likely knows.  What is known is that it was making NCsoft around $11 million a year.  How that factors into the equation is unknown at this point.

What is also known is that NCsoft has a long history of axing western games.  If I remember right this is the 5th or 6th. So much so, that one can't trust them when it comes to western games.   Why Carbine would make such a poor choice for publisher, given that past history, is also unknown. 

From what I've seen, Wildstar looks like an entertaining game. But these games are a long term investment time wise. With NCsoft as a publisher, that investment looks more and more doubtful. 

Beatnik59

Hard Core Member

"Playing things I shouldn''t be playing since 1977."

12/22/12 2:30:41 PM#24
Originally posted by Wraithone
Originally posted by Sasami

[mod edit]

Might I suggest that you don't know the motives either?  No one out side of NCsofts high suit levels, likely knows.  What is known is that it was making NCsoft around $11 million a year.  How that factors into the equation is unknown at this point.

What is also known is that NCsoft has a long history of axing western games.  If I remember right this is the 5th or 6th. So much so, that one can't trust them when it comes to western games.   Why Carbine would make such a poor choice for publisher, given that past history, is also unknown. 

From what I've seen, Wildstar looks like an entertaining game. But these games are a long term investment time wise. With NCsoft as a publisher, that investment looks more and more doubtful. 

Right you are.

If this game doesn't net a million customers come launch day, it'll be over in less than a year.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
--Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

rivetman13

Novice Member

12/22/12 2:41:17 PM#25

sorry to the fans of it, but for me, CoX was always always a horrible game. My girlfriend loved it because it was so easy. I hated every minute in that world. Boring repeat missions, dont get me started on the face grating riki invasions. Man I was SO happy to see this game go. No more torture trying to force myself to play that crapfest.

Bottom line, if CoX was a better game, with more players, they wouldnt even consider shutting it down.  You want them to keep your miserable game running? Play it and sub, or at least buy $15 worth of crap a month. Amazing people cry about $15 for 30 days of 24/7 entertainment. Nothing on the planet beats its cost for 30 days of entertainment.

I plan to play wildstar, in celebration of NCSoft finaly doing what I have been BEGGING for since day 1 in City of Boredom.

Cheers NCSoft!

anonentity

Novice Member

12/28/12 9:50:06 AM#26
Originally posted by rivetman13

sorry to the fans of it, but for me, CoX was always always a horrible game. My girlfriend loved it because it was so easy. I hated every minute in that world. Boring repeat missions, dont get me started on the face grating riki invasions. Man I was SO happy to see this game go. No more torture trying to force myself to play that crapfest.

Bottom line, if CoX was a better game, with more players, they wouldnt even consider shutting it down.  You want them to keep your miserable game running? Play it and sub, or at least buy $15 worth of crap a month. Amazing people cry about $15 for 30 days of 24/7 entertainment. Nothing on the planet beats its cost for 30 days of entertainment.

I plan to play wildstar, in celebration of NCSoft finaly doing what I have been BEGGING for since day 1 in City of Boredom.

Cheers NCSoft!

Here's hoping Wildstar brings you joy and that NCSoft doesn't pull the plug on it while you are still enjoying it.

PeZzy

Apprentice Member

12/29/12 12:25:17 AM#27
I didn't like what they did to Auto Assault - once you kill a recently released MMO, you can't be trusted in the future. The mess they created over Tabula Rasa was no surprise. No point in supporting any NCSoft MMOs because they could quickly pull the rug out from under you. They have closed five games in the past two years. The big problem is founder and CEO T.J. Kim - as long as he keeps making decisions on his own the company will remain unstable. I am playing GW2 in spite of NCSoft's involvement, but I will not play another NCSoft game.
  xBrando

Novice Member

"If your not first, your last." ~Ricky Bobby~

2/09/13 7:32:03 PM#28
Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

I didn't see them as doing anything wrong in this case?  CoH/CoV, very old by MMO standards, had a great run, I had fun with them.  But if they aren't making a profit anymore(I don't know if they were or not).  But likely they weren't or not enough to feel it was worth it, they are a business, so nothing wrong with them shutting down?

I just personally can't see what they did wrong here, illuminate?

Completely agree. That game did great, active for years and years. It was just beat to shit.

Nanfoodle

Elite Member

2/09/13 7:55:13 PM#29
Well, I really wanted to play this one. But since NCSoft's total lack of care for thier community, by cutting the cord on City of Heroes in the manner in which they did. I wont be giving them any of my hard earned dollars. To those that do eventually play, I hope you enjoy it, and you dont get the rug pulled out from under you by NCSoft. 

LOL, When a community no longer supports a game why should the company that owns the game support it? 

Kreedz

Novice Member

2/10/13 3:54:40 AM#30
Originally posted by Karteli

[snip]

I hate the combat, and all those red circles / cones / triangles to show EXACTLY where an upcoming attack will be.  It's unrealistic, and downright silly.  As an example from a developer walkthrough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AggcaRpjwlo

[/snip]

It's unrealistic? Please show me a screenshot or video of the game which gave you the idea that it was going to be 'Realistic'...

As for it being silly? Why is telegraphing potentially deadly attacks to the player silly? Makes more sense to have a graphic for it than not to have one.

The only thing unrealistic and silly about this game, is your complaints about it.

Get Real. (Pun Intended)

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

2 Pages « 1 2 Search