Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,869,900 Users Online:0
Games:744  Posts:6,253,106
Carbine | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 06/03/14)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$59.99 | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

WildStar Forum » General Discussion » The artwork reminds me of the old arcade game, "Space Ace"... and that's a GOOD thing!

9 posts found
  BartDaCat

Advanced Member

Gamer Forums, where "First World Problems" are our specialty!

OP  11/12/12 3:45:38 AM#1

As I've read through the small bouts of news that pop up from time to time about WildStar, I kept wondering why it felt vaguely familiar... why I kept getting this weird feeling of nostalgia whenever I looked through the screenshots.

Then it finally dawned on me, the art direction reminds me of the old Don Bluth laser disc arcade game, "Space Ace" from 1984!

Considering the fact that video games in 1984 were nowhere near the advanced graphical quality that they are today, laser disc technology for use in video games such as "Space Ace" and "Dragon's Lair" was an amazing feat.  It was the animated movie quality of the hand-drawn art that was so breathtaking and enjoyable, no one had seen a game with that level of visual quality before.

I'm finally able to put my thumb on what it was about WildStar's art direction that I found so aesthetically pleasing, and why it kept triggering a nostalgic feeling.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the art direction.  I LOVE it!  I like the animated film-style color palettes, the animation-style caricatures of the beings that inhabit WildStar's world, and the quirky sense of humor that the developers seem to be instilling in the game world.

It definitely has that tongue-in-cheek comedic feel of "Space Ace".  I'm looking forward to some videos of actual gameplay, and hopefully beta information, sometime soon.

meddyck

Advanced Member

2/21/13 7:20:06 AM#2
Yep. It definitely brings back Space Ace flashbacks for me too.

Camelot Unchained Backer
DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

Alcuin

Apprentice Member

2/21/13 11:37:10 PM#3

Good call.  Spent many a quarter on both Space Ace and Dragon's Lair.

I like the exaggerated characature look/color schemes too.  

zevni78

Apprentice Member

3/08/13 1:33:08 PM#4
Space Ace, Dragon's Lair etc where done by Don Bluth (working on storybricks mmo right now) who is an icon to many of us trained animators, his techniques are text book for anyone after that old school key frame, expression set and character proprotions style used by his studio and before that Disney. The animators at Carbine are smart to stick with a tried and tested standard.
  ace80k

Hard Core Member

3/08/13 1:39:49 PM#5
The problem: it's 2013, not 1984. The OP mentions "advanced graphical quality" which is something Wildstar is lacking severely. This game looks like it should have been released in 2005, not 2013.
  zevni78

Apprentice Member

3/08/13 1:42:07 PM#6
Originally posted by ace80k
The problem: it's 2013, not 1984. The OP mentions "advanced graphical quality" which is something Wildstar is lacking severely. This game looks like it should have been released in 2005, not 2013.

That is a graphics issue not art style, I agree that they need to improve the engine, textures, lighting etc, but the art style literally could not be improved upon.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

3/08/13 1:47:33 PM#7
i absoloutely HATED dragons lair and space ace, they werent really games were they, just a cartoon where you had to ocasionally tap your joystick
  darkhalf357x

Hard Core Member

I'm only playing the role chosen for me. Who you supposed to be?

3/08/13 1:54:10 PM#8

I own four of them on DVD ( Dragons Lair I and II, Space Ace, and Cobra Command) and here I am wishing they would make more.  These were great back in the day.

Dragons Lair being the first had its flaws (who remembers the black screen between choices) but by the time Dragons Lair II came out it was pretty much seamless.  There was a harmony to the game to run through it (as long as you could without dying).

Agree Wildstar shares the same style and appreciate it more for that.  Tired of these dark, moody, ultra-realism MMOs.

Alber_gamer

Hard Core Member

3/11/13 6:40:56 AM#9

This reminds me to when Nitendo released Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker in Cell Shading graphics. It was not bad graphics, it was an art choice. 

Yeah, I'll accept the art choice argument as long as they creators of the game accept my critics about it being cheap and outdated.

The Legend of Zelda being the Legend of Zelda, got away with it. Will a mostly unknown franchise like Wildstar have that same reception? I doubt it, but we'll see.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.