Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Marvel Heroes | EverQuest

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,902,095 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,274,971
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 04/02/13)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC XBox 360 PS3 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Defiance Forum » General Discussion » Episode 5- WAT

9 posts found
  Mkilbride

Spotlight Poster

OP  5/14/13 7:35:08 PM#1

Most of that episode was an incredible example of piss poor writing.

The ending...how fucking dumb was that. "Because you're not the only one with nightmares" /timetohavesex!

I saw it coming, but thought "Nah, no way they'd do that, it'd be really cliche and not make alot of sense story wise,  the guy hasn't really done anything to get her to like him to that degree..." But it can easily be explained by "ALIENS!"

Also, they used that piss poor excuse of "It's more of a punishment to keep him alive, and let him roam free" Instead of carting him off to jail.

That car ride was bumpy and Nolan shot both guys, it made little sense when they skipped ahead after the Commercial break and the guy had somehow gotten away. The proceeding standoff had been done in everything, 1000x.

The first episode - was great. Second was ok, still good, but eh. 3,4, and 5...wow, it's like they're not even trying anymore.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

simsalabim77

Novice Member

5/14/13 7:38:31 PM#2

If you analyze Syfy shows, they're not going to hold up very well. If you can't temporarily turn off your brain and just watch a TV show, then I'm afraid you're not going to be very happy with anything they do. 

lordtwisted

Hard Core Member

5/16/13 9:25:30 AM#3

Honestly I would have to say you are wrong. Sure a lot of this stuff has been done to death. Take any book by any author and strip it down to it's bare essentials of the story, and you will find almost every love story has the same build up and climax. Every fantasy novel has the same build up and climax. This is how story writing is done. 

You take a simple idea and you tell it in another way. There is nothing new to it. Strip down every science fiction movie you have watched...they are all the same story, told by different people, from different perspectives. 

You are over analyzing the show, and if you over analyze anything you enjoy, you will no longer enjoy it as much. Take "The Walking Dead" for instance, two years of zombies terrorizing the earth, yet every subdivision they go into has perfect lawns? Speaking of cliches the walking dead has just as many, and feeds into the drama with pissing contest every episode. 

As for the two deputy lawmaker? That guy has been backing her up, following her around town, and trying to make conversation with her at every chance, while everyone else shies away from her, or ignores her...and you think he has done nothing to win her affection? And the lines were not as you said, the lines were, "You would have killed him anyways?", "Why?"

His response was, "You aren't the only one with nightmares,.....", then he said, "And because...I...." and that is when she jumped on him, I think both actors made a decent job of it, and I think you are over simplifying the show. 

If you don't like it, go back to watching your continuous Twilight loop and bugger off.

Not so nice guy!

udon

Advanced Member

5/16/13 9:28:02 AM#4
I'm not even sure most of the Farscape episodes where really well written and those are probably some of that channels better works.
  MadDemon64

Hard Core Member

Why is it that fantasy trolls are vulnerable to fire, but internet trolls thrive on flame wars?

5/16/13 9:56:30 AM#5
Originally posted by simsalabim77

If you analyze Syfy shows, they're not going to hold up very well. If you can't temporarily turn off your brain and just watch a TV show, then I'm afraid you're not going to be very happy with anything they do. 

No no, that's Syfy movies you are thinking of.

Syfy shows are, for the most part, amazing (just look at Warehouse 13 and Eureka, even though Eureka is finished)

I have not see Defiance, but what you are describing is merely an exception to the rule, just like how there are exceptions to the rule that Syfy movies suck (I remember Anonymous Rex being very good, or at least very good comparatively speaking).

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Fennris

Novice Member

5/20/13 12:14:19 PM#6
I'm curious, what was the last Sci FI show or movie that had that stand off? I can't think of one off-hand although I am sure I've seen it before.

And contrary to whatever you're experiences may tell you, there are chicks out there that are in a hurry to have sex (some make sure it is with the right guy, some don't). It's ironic that you're complaining that we've seen too many stagecoach standoffs on one hand while also being confused by something that we haven't seen too much of.
  MindTrigger

Advanced Member

5/21/13 4:17:58 PM#7

I was harsh on the first couple episodes, but the show has really grown on me since then.  Probably because there's hasn't been a ton of crappy CG, and they are developing characters now.

I enjoyed last night's episode.  I'm really looking forward to seeing them build this show up over this season and next.

The game?  Not sure that's going to survive...

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Wizardry

Elite Member

Perhaps tomorrow will be better.

5/24/13 2:42:39 AM#8

I got as far as half way through episode 3 then said enough of this crap.I can watch just about anything so it really tells you how bad the scripting was for this.

Then a week later i stumble onto a different network here in Canada and Defiance was being aired  just like on ScyFy.Only difference was Mondays instead of Thursdays.Anyhoot was Episode 5 and umm same old junk,never watched buy half of the show.

IMO this thing aside from the first Ep, is more about Drama and a soap opera than anything remotely close to SciFi.Simple reason is obvious,Drama is MUCH cheaper to produce as this was definitely not a Jurassic Park "bar no expense".

I know it is a cliche but i find modern TV to be really bad.Everything on TV now is just crap supported by sexism,every idea has to have a hot chick in it because there is no actual substance in the script.I rather have the hot chick in a good script,then we have good TV :P,,nah joking,i love any good actress ,she doesn't have to be hot.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Napolianboo#p/u/15/rCYLLQCNc1w
Samoan Diamond

MindTrigger

Advanced Member

5/24/13 5:52:20 PM#9
Originally posted by Wizardry

I got as far as half way through episode 3 then said enough of this crap.I can watch just about anything so it really tells you how bad the scripting was for this.

Then a week later i stumble onto a different network here in Canada and Defiance was being aired  just like on ScyFy.Only difference was Mondays instead of Thursdays.Anyhoot was Episode 5 and umm same old junk,never watched buy half of the show.

IMO this thing aside from the first Ep, is more about Drama and a soap opera than anything remotely close to SciFi.Simple reason is obvious,Drama is MUCH cheaper to produce as this was definitely not a Jurassic Park "bar no expense".

I know it is a cliche but i find modern TV to be really bad.Everything on TV now is just crap supported by sexism,every idea has to have a hot chick in it because there is no actual substance in the script.I rather have the hot chick in a good script,then we have good TV :P,,nah joking,i love any good actress ,she doesn't have to be hot.

I only watch a few hours a week with my wife anyway.  I prefer the internet, or a book, really.  I'm going back and watching some older stuff too that is actually good, such as TNG Blu Ray, and The X Files.  Netflix comes in handy if you get bored, that's for sure.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.