Trending Games | WildStar | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,645,871 Users Online:0
Games:687  Posts:6,085,157
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 04/02/13)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC XBox 360 PS3 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Defiance Forum » General Discussion » Just watched the series...

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
65 posts found
  Vannor

Elite Member

4/27/13 5:53:56 PM#21
I quite like it. I'll keep watching it. It's nothing amazing but it's not terrible.
  slickbizzle

Advanced Member

4/27/13 5:54:45 PM#22

I'm liking the series.  Good variety of species to get to know. Good setting.  Good Sci-fi.  

Ramonski7

Spotlight Poster

"A wise man has something to say, but a fool just has to say something."

4/27/13 5:55:27 PM#23
Originally posted by Yamota
Originally posted by simsalabim77
I thought it was pretty decent for a Syfy original. Seems a little harsh to judge it based on two episodes. I thought Firefly sucked ass the first time I watched it, but it grew on me, and I ended up loving it. 

I dont agree. Good series grabs you from the very start. Spartacus, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones all started great and in the case of Spartacus, ended even greater.

Granted those are not sci-fi and its a shame we cant get one with the same quality as other type of series. Dont think a good sci-fi show have been done since Babylon 5, over 10 years ago.

Well Fringe qualifies as sci-fi in my book and it was a great series. As far as Defiance, some shows have to grow on you but I didn't think the first episode was that bad...not "OH GAWD I GOTTA WATCH THIS!" either but then again I really wasn't expecting that from a show linked to a video game. Were you?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Yamota

Hard Core Member

There's a beast within every man that stirs when you put a sword in his hand

OP  4/27/13 5:55:56 PM#24
I thought it was pretty decent for a Syfy original. Seems a little harsh to judge it based on two episodes. I thought Firefly sucked ass the first time I watched it, but it grew on me, and I ended up loving it. 

I dont agree. Good series grabs you from the very start. Spartacus, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones all started great and in the case of Spartacus, ended even greater.

Granted those are not sci-fi and its a shame we cant get one with the same quality as other type of series. Dont think a good sci-fi show have been done since Babylon 5, over 10 years ago.

Battlestar Galctica? If you tell me it was crap, then I really have nothing else to say to you as our tastes in sci-fi are completely opposed. 

It was alright but I didnt like the dream sequences of Baltar and most of the actors, except Olmos and McDonnel were pretty bad and some, like Grace Park, were just awful. Some of the episodes were really bad as well, like one where Kara managed to fly a Cylon ship and used her foot (!) to close some hole in the hull.

So the series had its moments but many bad one's as well.

XxGrimmxX

Novice Member

4/27/13 5:59:36 PM#25
Originally posted by Wizardry
Originally posted by XxGrimmxX
You must not watch much Scyfy movies if you're surprised by this.

I dopn't watch much tv period,it is pretty trashy stuff on the boob tube nowadays.

Right now there is a trend going on ridiculous hillbilly type shows,crocadile hunter,betty boo all that crap.

I grew up on sci fi television,wasn't big on cartoons ,i favored Godzilla,Star Trek,Lost in Space lol.

Most of what you see now is really cheap when you figure the legend Ray Harryhausen had little to work with and his work looks a hundred times better.

None the less,the first part had a little bit of intruge,i wanted to watch the whole thing to see whjat was coming next.At least there was a battle scene in the end to show they did a little bit of work.Part two however was a total letdown,nothing at all related to Sci-Fi,more of a cheap drama.

Part two was basically more conspiracy,watch a cheesy torture and a boring walk through a mine where all they did was talk,walk a bit and talk again.

I will watch episode 3,just because i am 100% positive it can't be worse than part 2, i am expecting something in between 1 and 2.

I know exactly what you mean, but in a much more real sense, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

simsalabim77

Advanced Member

4/27/13 6:01:54 PM#26

Battlestar Galctica? If you tell me it was crap, then I really have nothing else to say to you as our tastes in sci-fi are completely opposed. 

It was alright but I didnt like the dream sequences of Baltar and most of the actors, except Olmos and McDonnel were pretty bad and some, like Grace Park, were just awful. Some of the episodes were really bad as well, like one where Kara managed to fly a Cylon ship and used her foot (!) to close some hole in the hull.

Well then, we'll just agree to disagree. You sound like my wife.

Her:

"That's ridiculous. That couldn't ever happen."

"I feel emberassed by how terrible the acting is."

"That dialogue made no sense."

Me:

"Will you please STFU so I can watch this guy have a fight with some lasers."

Rednecksith

Apprentice Member

Bite my fiery metal ass!

4/27/13 6:04:46 PM#27

When your show has worse actors, story, and special effects than the concurrently running season of Power Rangers, you just need to give up.

Not that I dislike Power Rangers; I've enjoyed Megaforce so far. Stupid mid-season hiatus...

Yamota

Hard Core Member

OP  4/27/13 6:05:15 PM#28

Her:

Me:

Well a "fight with some lasers" is not what I would qualify as a good sci-fi show. Atleast not exclusively so. Babylon 5 had a good plot, lots of combat and decent set of actors. Galactica had some good actors and the base storyline was good but everything else was bad or just plain weird.

Onomas

Hard Core Member

Sandbox is your only hope for a decent mmo ;)

4/27/13 6:06:43 PM#29
Its better than 95% of the crap on TV today........
  simsalabim77

Advanced Member

4/27/13 6:07:55 PM#30

Her:

Me:

Well a "fight with some lasers" is not what I would qualify as a good sci-fi show. Atleast not exclusively so. Babylon 5 had a good plot, lots of combat and decent set of actors. Galactica had some good actors and the base storyline was good but everything else was bad or just plain weird.

Like I said, we'll agree to disagree. 

I'll just leave you with this amazing battle scene from Babylon 5. 

erictlewis

Apprentice Member

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

4/27/13 6:09:06 PM#31

Considering the amount of money spent the make up jobs are cheesy, and lazy.  The aliens are more human than alien. The acting ya lol, a B movie from the 70's would be better than what I watched. 

Basicly it was the Eureaka story line, father and daughter come to town and set up shop all over again, with the expection of Eureaka was better. 

XxGrimmxX

Novice Member

4/27/13 6:13:43 PM#32
Originally posted by erictlewis

Considering the amount of money spent the make up jobs are cheesy, and lazy.  The aliens are more human than alien. The acting ya lol, a B movie from the 70's would be better than what I watched. 

Basicly it was the Eureaka story line, father and daughter come to town and set up shop all over again, with the expection of Eureaka was better. 

How do you know what aliens look like?

Yamota

Hard Core Member

OP  4/27/13 6:15:23 PM#33

Well considering they are aliens, i.e. not from Earth, one would wager they would look quite different as they would not share any of the same genes end evolutionary path of humans.

XxGrimmxX

Novice Member

4/27/13 6:18:26 PM#34

Well considering they are aliens, i.e. not from Earth, one would wager they would look quite different as they would not share any of the same genes end evolutionary path of humans.

That's a flawed argument. You can't say whether or not the evolutionary path would stray too far from what we look like now.

Xirik

Hard Core Member

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets and lies!

4/27/13 6:19:28 PM#35

Such a dissapointment. Wooden acting, cheesy dialogue and nonsensical story. Also it seems that it is catered towards lower teens as the violence was very mild. 

Still might try the game but not watching the series.

You watched the whole series?! MAN ARE YOU FROM DA FUTURE! 

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

psypoison

Novice Member

4/27/13 6:20:05 PM#36
i liked the show first 2 episodes was really good to me but then again i like the game to.
  tifalockhart

Novice Member

4/27/13 6:22:17 PM#37
enjoying the show and still enjoying the game :)

Waiting For:Archeage
current:Guild Wars 2
past: EQ, EQ2, Planetside, SWG, Matrix Online, Ultima Online, WoW, CoH/CoV, Tabula Rasa, Pirates of the Burning sea, AoC, Eve Online, Startrek Online.Fallen Earth, Champions Online, SWTOR

Yamota

Hard Core Member

OP  4/27/13 6:27:38 PM#38

That's a flawed argument. You can't say whether or not the evolutionary path would stray too far from what we look like now.

What? Why could I not be able to say that? They were not evolved on Earth so they cant possibly follow the same evolutionary path.

Similar? Who knows, for that you need to know the mechanics of how life is created and evolves on planets different than Earth. In any case, considering that animals on earth look quite different, even though they share the same evolutionary ancestry, species from different paths altogether would most like look even more different.

Yamota

Hard Core Member

OP  4/27/13 6:28:26 PM#39
Originally posted by Xirik

Such a dissapointment. Wooden acting, cheesy dialogue and nonsensical story. Also it seems that it is catered towards lower teens as the violence was very mild. 

Still might try the game but not watching the series.

You watched the whole series?! MAN ARE YOU FROM DA FUTURE! 

Yes, because I have to watch the whole series to comment on it. 

chaintm

Advanced Member

"Shutting down threads sense 2004"

4/27/13 6:31:16 PM#40
I am a huge sci-fy fan and I agree with the OP, the acting is well.. there is none and the plots are sad. This was a failed deal at the start. Stargate, Battlestar and more, these are things they should be looking at again.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search