Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Shards | World of Warcraft | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,465 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,294,434
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 04/02/13)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC XBox 360 PS3 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Defiance Forum » General Discussion » Why the Defiance hate?

12 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
224 posts found
  GrayGhost79

Apprentice Member

4/18/13 11:13:18 PM#41
Originally posted by Isturi
Originally posted by GrayGhost79
Originally posted by Eir_S
Originally posted by Daranar
thnx.   dude I love your quote in your signature...that is great!   I'm totally using that (and forgetting where I heard it)  haha  :)  

I got a chuckle out of it too after you pointed it out. lol

As for Defiance, even I'm unsure why it's catching so much flak and I'm cautious about damn near everything these days.  It could have something to do with people expecting something "bigger" than Rift, or at least deeper.  Or maybe MMORPG fans are not MMOTPS fans.  I still want to play it regardless of the lukewarm reviews, but you have to admit it's a bit of a culture shock to the majority of MMORPG fans who, for the life of them, can't seem to find a +10 greatsword in their inventory.

Just guesses.  I mean, from what I've seen, it plays smoothly, the graphics are awesome, and it has a good story.  Hell, I got less than that from SWTOR.

Honestly, thats what it mostly boils down to. 

Its a TPS and not an RPG, Its Sci fi and not fantasy, in the eyes of those that don't like those two things it should be a niche game barely discussed but its gone pretty main stream and its hard to not hear about it. 

So basicly it is not a trinity theme park game. Makes since now.

Well you have to give these guys some slack though. In just a short period of time they've been hit by a lot of change. 

Many games trying to get rid of or limit the trinity. 

Many games favoring more action oriented combat over tab targeting. 

Many games focusing on more flexibility in play making it viable to both solo and group. 

Many games trying to find ways to get rid of the quest hubs. 

Many games have tried to stray from the high fantasy thats become a staple. 

Many games reevaluating their business models and going f2p or more recently b2p rather than the traditional pay to play. 

In a very short period of time MMOs development focus has fundamentally changed. They've even had to deal with 2 shooter MMOs come out recently. Defiance coming out and getting the attention it has while being so vastly different and embodying all the changes at once is the equiviliant of getting smacked in the nads. 

The game has issues and doesn't deserve an 8 or 9 score currently but does deserve a solid 6.5 to 7 in its current state. Those playing know this and have no issue with that. As long as these things get ironed out soon and we continue to have fun who cares what those getting all worked up about it have to say. Its fun to price ratio is through the roof, few games launched in the past few years can claim that. 

User Deleted
4/19/13 5:05:03 AM#42
thnx.   dude I love your quote in your signature...that is great!   I'm totally using that (and forgetting where I heard it)  haha  :)  

As for Defiance, even I'm unsure why it's catching so much flak and I'm cautious about damn near everything these days.  It could have something to do with people expecting something "bigger" than Rift, or at least deeper.  Or maybe MMORPG fans are not MMOTPS fans.  I still want to play it regardless of the lukewarm reviews, but you have to admit it's a bit of a culture shock to the majority of MMORPG fans who, for the life of them, can't seem to find a +10 greatsword in their inventory.

Just guesses.  I mean, from what I've seen, it plays smoothly, the graphics are awesome, and it has a good story.  Hell, I got less than that from SWTOR.

Its a TPS and not an RPG, Its Sci fi and not fantasy, in the eyes of those that don't like those two things it should be a niche game barely discussed but its gone pretty main stream and its hard to not hear about it. 

Well you have to give these guys some slack though. In just a short period of time they've been hit by a lot of change. 

Many games focusing on more flexibility in play making it viable to both solo and group. 

Many games reevaluating their business models and going f2p or more recently b2p rather than the traditional pay to play. 

In a very short period of time MMOs development focus has fundamentally changed. They've even had to deal with 2 shooter MMOs come out recently. Defiance coming out and getting the attention it has while being so vastly different and embodying all the changes at once is the equiviliant of getting smacked in the nads. 

The game has issues and doesn't deserve an 8 or 9 score currently but does deserve a solid 6.5 to 7 in its current state. Those playing know this and have no issue with that. As long as these things get ironed out soon and we continue to have fun who cares what those getting all worked up about it have to say. Its fun to price ratio is through the roof, few games launched in the past few years can claim that. 

Well said TYVM

oreal52

Novice Member

4/19/13 5:08:40 AM#43

Honestly,i love Defiance.I just don't care about the haters and the trolls,as long as i am having fun in the game it's all good.

Tokenaru

Novice Member

4/19/13 5:08:42 AM#44
I picked up this title a few days ago myself along with the season pass, so far im enjoying the game alot.  There are some aspects i would like to see improve,  IE: more variety in events and better itemization, as well as improving the social features in the game but beyond that im having alot of fun.  I think as a foundation and basic launch in time this game will get alot of tlc from the devs.  The future is bright for this game have faith :)
  Volgore

Tipster

Posts deleted: 12589457

4/19/13 6:07:54 AM#45

This is a page about MMORPGS, mostly on PCs.

Defiance is a console-shooter. There you have your answer.

fallenlords

Novice Member

4/19/13 6:45:28 AM#46

With Defiance I think like this, I love shooters they are my main love in gaming.   If it has guns and involves shooting in either first or third person I probably own the game.   Defiance is a competent shooter on it's own, full stop.  It aspires to be in multiplayer terms what Borderlands(2) is as a single player/coop game, shoot and loot.  What is lacks compared to Borderlands is the unique art style and whacky sense of humor.  It's more serious but then it's also linked to a TV drama which in turn involves makeup effects, props etc.  You can't be too zany, unless you want everything to be CGI.

It has a large open world, not instanced to the hilt.  You can get on/in your vehicle and drive around without waiting for load screens.  It has all the characteristics of an MMO, in perhaps a rudimentary form, but they are there.  In terms of acting like an MMO it has it's shortfalls, but where it excels is with cooperation.  Defiance is a cooperative experience.  Whether you like it or not even if you solo the game, at some point somebody is going to impact on one of your quests.  You don't have a choice, somebody rolls up following the same quest line you end up doing the quest together.  You have to cooperate, you don't have much of a choice unless you want to abandon the quest.  

Most importantly Defiance is Fun, yes with a capital F.  It's not the best game in the world by any means, but it's fun to play.  Whether it's the squishy sound the hellbugs make when you squash them, or getting some good air on your roller as you jump the crest of a hill. That fun might have a limited timespan depending on your liking of shooters.  But you have other stuff to do, coop maps, shadow wars, team deathmatch, contracts, goals, races, hotshots, challenges etc.   But it's shallow fun and to an extent mindless fun.  But hell this is a game, it's suppose to give you enjoyment. 

As for the hate, scratch beneath the surface on that one.  Who is this game impacting on in terms of users at the moment?  Perhaps a rival MMO - that most of the haters seem to play.  I saw Defiance at number 3 in the UK charts the other day, below Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider.  Just checked again it's up to number 2 on one chart.   Sales figures don't lie - if something is selling it's selling for a good reason.  

User Deleted
4/19/13 6:52:34 AM#47
It's very fun game and I'm glad I picked it up. Darkfall is down for maintenance, so it's a perfect time to jump into Defiance for a bit of quick action.
  aesperus

Elite Member

4/19/13 6:53:26 AM#48

Honestly, I dunno about all the 'hate', but I know that most of the negative criticism comes from the game being a buggy, clunky, average MMO with solid shooting mechanics.

Even most of the negative reviews mention that the shooting in the game is fun, and that it can still be an enjoyable game. They just caviat it by pointing out that the game is objectively sub-par or average in most ways.

No game is perfect, they all have flaws. People should be more comfortable with enjoying games inspite of all that, and stop trying to demand that everyone else be okay with the same choices.

- Heck I'm enjoying games like Bioshock: Infinite, inspite of it having fairly lackluster game mechanics. There are other games I've had fun with that have gotten far worse reviews. Some games just register enough with our own personal tastes that we are willing to look passed the flaws.

Wickedjelly

Novice Member

The Dude abides

4/19/13 6:57:35 AM#49

Seems fairly timid around here compared to other game launches. Not really seeing "the hate" for this game.

Unless once again some are including anyone that simply thinks the game is okay or has some issues with the game as being a hater. Not that anyone ever does that around here mind you....

>_>

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Thane

Hard Core Member

I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

4/19/13 6:57:51 AM#50

I recently bought Defiance on GMG for $33.   Seriously good price, go get it.   Anyway, I just started playing this morning until server update right now.   I really don't understand all the hate against the game.    This is seriously a very good enjoyable game.   I'm sure as with ANY themepark, it will run out of content and possibly fast.   However, they are saying there will be some serious DLC action coming.   But other than that, why hate?   To me it is a great mix between Borderlands and Gears of War in an MMO.   

Yes, it is a console/PC game and so the social aspect is significantly diminished from other PC-Only MMOs.   Most people you try to chat to, don't chat back (either they are dills or on an XBOX or PS3).   But it is clearly a different kind of game, one that I am so far enjoying emensly.  I think most people's problem is they went into it with an expectation in mind instead of going into to have some serious fun!   Recognize what it is.  It's not a competitor with Call of Duty, nor with World of Warcraft.   It is really a fairly unique game and so far a good bit of emphasis on exploration.   I for one am having a great time cruisin in my roller finding little enemy camps and trackin down those side-missions.   Plus with the T.V. show, they really hit my lore bone.   Not only can you get into the lore in-game (with the story missions it really helps dive in) but also on the TV show.  I love a game I can really get into the world of and this is definately one of em.

People seriously need to stop hating on games and go into a game with a fresh state of mind, one that is ready for fun and adventure.   Remember when gamers used to be open to new worlds?   Thriving on new stories?  And always seeking fun and adventure in every new game?    Man, how we have become jaded and snobby.

Seriously tho for $33, stop reading idiots reviews (like mine) and go try it for yourself WITH an open mind and eagerness to explore a new earth.   Whatever you do, don't go into it expecting the best MMORPG of all time (that game died when Sony released Planes of Power for EQ :P )   but do go in expecting to explore and have fun shooting up random crap :)

imo the main prob that game has are the 2 plattforms.

even tho they will NEVER actually play together, they use the same systems.

there is basically no logical reason to have the pc version use the concsole version's chat and interface, but time and money.

hell, it even showed me the controles on a controler layout, even tho my pad ain't plugged in and i was playing only via mouse and keyboard.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Myria

Advanced Member

4/19/13 7:10:02 AM#51
Originally posted by Amegashie
Considering the state the game is in people on here are extremely easy on it.

Pretty much this. Games are routinely ripped to shreds and declared insta-failures that don't have a fraction of the problems Defiance launched with, and still has even now.

That aside, it would be helpful if the OP pointed out some examples of this hate, because personally I'm not seeing it. Compared to what WoW, ToR, even the much-sainted GW2 routinely get, I'm confused as to where this hate is.

Mediocre reviews? Yeah, consistently and across the board. Indifference? Yeah, a whole lot of 'Meh'. But hate? Unless you define  'hate' as 'criticising something I like', Defiance would seem to be one of the least hated -- for that matter, least talked about, at least around here -- newly released MMOs in quite some time.

fallenlords

Novice Member

4/19/13 8:17:29 AM#52
Originally posted by Myria

Mediocre reviews? Yeah, consistently and across the board. Indifference? Yeah, a whole lot of 'Meh'. But hate? Unless you define  'hate' as 'criticising something I like', Defiance would seem to be one of the least hated -- for that matter, least talked about, at least around here -- newly released MMOs in quite some time.

What we are looking at is subtle hatred, not enough to get moderated but enough to dig the knife in.  As your text exemplifies.  Thanks for the example.

corpusc

Novice Member

CHATTANOOGAN

contact me if you are seriously interested in
* C#
* making an old schoolish FPS

4/19/13 8:29:00 AM#53

yep.  the traditional MMO fans who hate to see MMOness being applied to non-RPG games are really feeling threatened by all the variety thats starting to appear.   they are concerned that they won't have such a wide variety of choices of THEIR types of games anymore, and they are correct to some degree.

its a frightening new MMO landscape for them.

The End
---------------------------
i don't expect to like Darkfall, altho i may like it MORE than other MMOs. i know it is gonna have a very frustrating level of grind to it, even if its significantly less than most. waiting for a pure FAST action virtual world. dice rolling & character levels (even "skills") IN COMBAT should have never carried over from pencil & paper to a computer that can reasonably model 3D spaces and objects

Bigdaddyx

Advanced Member

4/19/13 9:05:02 AM#54
Originally posted by fallenlords

As for the hate, scratch beneath the surface on that one.  Who is this game impacting on in terms of users at the moment?  Perhaps a rival MMO - that most of the haters seem to play.  I saw Defiance at number 3 in the UK charts the other day, below Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider.  Just checked again it's up to number 2 on one chart.   Sales figures don't lie - if something is selling it's selling for a good reason.  

There we go again.

It is always the players from rival games spreading hate or critics not getting paid enough to write bad reviews. Such a black and white way of looking at things.

Is it really that hard to accept that game has flaws and that is why people are disappointed or negative about it? but i guess it is easier to blame it on all 'rival' MMO players and 'un paid critics' to justify the low ratings and disappointment than to actually accept that Defiance in its current state has lots of shortcomings and that Trion has their work cut out for them.

But hey why take words of  'rival' players just trying to spread the 'hate'... take word of the main in charge himself.

http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/04/19/the-road-to-hell-is-paved-with-good-intentions-or-the-day-i-twerked-in-hell/

fallenlords

Novice Member

4/19/13 12:05:41 PM#55
Originally posted by Bigdaddy

There we go again.

It is always the players from rival games spreading hate or critics not getting paid enough to write bad reviews. Such a black and white way of looking at things.

Is it really that hard to accept that game has flaws and that is why people are disappointed or negative about it? but i guess it is easier to blame it on all 'rival' MMO players and 'un paid critics' to justify the low ratings and disappointment than to actually accept that Defiance in its current state has lots of shortcomings and that Trion has their work cut out for them.

But hey why take words of  'rival' players just trying to spread the 'hate'... take word of the main in charge himself.

http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/04/19/the-road-to-hell-is-paved-with-good-intentions-or-the-day-i-twerked-in-hell/

Who isn't accepting the game has flaws?  From what I have seen people are pretty much open about this game.  It has issues, if anything people view it more as a seed from which something interesting might grow.   It's an average game but has an above average scope.   But all of that doesn't hide the fact that relationship management goes on and is prevalent in forums such as this.    That's what people are hired to do, big up one game and belittle the competition.   Stay blinkered if you want, like the management here, but it's happening.

Drakynn

Novice Member

4/19/13 12:16:00 PM#56

I am also very meh about this game.I think it was released to soon due to the tiem constraints forced upon it by the collaboration with the T.V show.

I think it's content is very repetitive even the story missions,more so than msot MMORPGs which are by nature repetitive.Again I think this is because of time constraints as is the small world available and the what to em are slightly off controls that need tightening and a better PC UI.

However seeing what TRion did with Rift I'm confident that more varied content and more world is in the works and that this game will drastically improve in said contwent and QOL issues.

Once it does I will re visit my purchase decision.

EDIT : Hey I just noticed I broke 1000 posts!!!It amy of taken me 4 times as long as most people but I got there!!!!

User Deleted
4/19/13 12:49:20 PM#57
Originally posted by fallenlords
Originally posted by Bigdaddy

There we go again.

Who isn't accepting the game has flaws?  From what I have seen people are pretty much open about this game.  It has issues, if anything people view it more as a seed from which something interesting might grow.   It's an average game but has an above average scope.   But all of that doesn't hide the fact that relationship management goes on and is prevalent in forums such as this.    That's what people are hired to do, big up one game and belittle the competition.   Stay blinkered if you want, like the management here, but it's happening.

Bigdaddy There you go again. Quick to point out a nagative link. It gets old dude.

Umbrood

Advanced Member

4/19/13 12:51:24 PM#58

As far as I have seen, this game hase very little actual hate, there is some dislike and negativity, but very little hate, if any.

Actually, being mmorpg.com of later years, the lack of actual hate is either a fantastic bonus or a crippling testimony.

As in most people recognise that for the game it is, it is a good game, or as in to few people care to actually "hate" on it.

Myself I enjoy it, but I realise the shortcomings of it as well.

Now do not kill me but I kind of liked the show as well, shallow as it was at this point.

But I would like to game to reflect at least some of the show, it is 100% combat.

The show however seems to be a lot about politics, deceit, and a LOT of cloak and dagger.

The show I hope will unravel a intricate world with strong characters.

The game seems very very 1 dimensional.

Do not get me wrong, I like that, it is good for a 30 minute steam blow-of.

But if either of them will survive, they need to involve us in the story.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User Deleted
4/19/13 12:51:24 PM#59
Originally posted by Drakynn

I am also very meh about this game.I think it was released to soon due to the tiem constraints forced upon it by the collaboration with the T.V show.

I think it's content is very repetitive even the story missions,more so than msot MMORPGs which are by nature repetitive.Again I think this is because of time constraints as is the small world available and the what to em are slightly off controls that need tightening and a better PC UI.

However seeing what TRion did with Rift I'm confident that more varied content and more world is in the works and that this game will drastically improve in said contwent and QOL issues.

Once it does I will re visit my purchase decision.

EDIT : Hey I just noticed I broke 1000 posts!!!It amy of taken me 4 times as long as most people but I got there!!!!

Grats Dude.

User Deleted
4/19/13 12:53:59 PM#60
Originally posted by Umbrood

As far as I have seen, this game hase very little actual hate, there is some dislike and negativity, but very little hate, if any.

Actually, being mmorpg.com of later years, the lack of actual hate is either a fantastic bonus or a crippling testimony.

As in most people recognise that for the game it is, it is a good game, or as in to few people care to actually "hate" on it.

Myself I enjoy it, but I realise the shortcomings of it as well.

Now do not kill me but I kind of liked the show as well, shallow as it was at this point.

But I would like to game to reflect at least some of the show, it is 100% combat.

The show however seems to be a lot about politics, deceit, and a LOT of cloak and dagger.

The show I hope will unravel a intricate world with strong characters.

The game seems very very 1 dimensional.

Do not get me wrong, I like that, it is good for a 30 minute steam blow-of.

But if either of them will survive, they need to involve us in the story.

A fantastic bonus is right. Ive seen more posters in all the hate threads who said they were on the fence now playing. Good for them.

12 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search