Trending Games | Wizard101 | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,899,316 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,267,922
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 04/02/13)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC XBox 360 PS3 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Defiance Forum » General Discussion » Is Defiance underrated?

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
31 posts found
  Ulorik

Apprentice Member

OP  10/16/13 9:19:15 AM#1

Now, admittedly this game is not your classic MMORPG, but it is starting to grow on me, and I wondered why a lot of people like to bash it instead of just enjoying it for what it is?

I bought Defiance at the reduced price 3 weeks ago after being a bit fed up with Firefall and DC Universe Online and I increasingly see myself just hopping on the game when I have a spare hour or so (ending up playing another two on top, lol). The typical scenario looks like this: Currently I have the following MMO's active on my Desktop: LotRo, Secret World, Firefall, WoW, FFIV reborn, and Defiance. Looking at all the shortcuts on my desktop I see myself clicking more often on Defiance with the expectation to have a bit of insta-fun, do some damage and log off satisfied again.

What I like about it:

Runs well at high settings on my computer

Imho the best ability to do some twitchy headshots in any of the MMO's

I can do solo stuff or join Arkfall carnage in a group 

The fights as part of the storyline are usually challenging, I see myself dying if playing without proper strategy, which is a good thing, can't stand the oversimplified hold-your-hands fights ala WoW any more

Satisfying weapon action overall with interesting choices (Infector anyone)

Although rare in between: good voice acting

Good implementation of driving and cover

What I'm missing is a little bit the RPG/story aspect (although it is there it is difficult to follow, however this need is usually filled by LotRo and Secret World) and the lesser variety of the environments.

So, on the whole I'm enjoying it and wonder if the game isn't rather underrated and would deserve a little bit more appreciation for what it is, a fun MMO shooter?

Cognoman

Novice Member

10/27/13 9:01:06 PM#2

Being under rated doesn't bother me as long as Trion doesn't close the servers.  Game will not appeal to regular mmorpg players who are looking for tank/dps/healer combo's therefore this game will not have the population of the more mainstream games. 

I do see lots of new players and I hope they buy from the cash shop so Trion can keep the game running.

Scypheroth

Advanced Member

10/27/13 9:12:05 PM#3
tried it and coudnt get into it...thats just me though...im MMO burnt...
  GrayImpact

Hard Core Member

10/27/13 9:17:17 PM#4

Well, i don't know about right now, but at launch i could finish all content + side quests and challenges in a single day.

PvP wasn't really my thing so the game was over fairly quickly, the lack of a progression system didn't help either, the itemization in defiance is just pointless.

Hariken

Elite Member

11/02/13 4:11:41 PM#5
 I don't think its underrated.  I thought the game play was bad on PC. Its a console mmo.Just like DC Universe. Didn't even finish the free trial. Great cut scene's though.
  rojoArcueid

Elite Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

11/02/13 4:14:46 PM#6

underrated? no. Underdeveloped? yes.

Its lacking almost every single quality of life feature that makes a game feel alive. In general. I hope they eventually fix that cause the game is fun, but right now is only fun for very short amounts of time.

User Deleted
11/02/13 4:25:32 PM#7
It's really fun for a short while, but by about the third zone area, you start to realize it's a one-trick pony.  I bought the game on day one, and paid for the season pass thingy.  I don't regret the game purchase, as I sunk enough hours into it to make it worth it (hours that I thoroughly enjoyed), but the season pass was a waste of money.
  LachyFTW

Apprentice Member

11/02/13 4:54:03 PM#8
I played the beta and was not impressed by it. As a console mmo its really good but it falls short when it comes to PC. I will pick it up again when it comes out for PS4.
  UNH0LYEV1L

Novice Member

11/16/13 12:35:10 PM#9
The game is just insanely boring and repetitive. Quests are all the game, classes are very similar in the beginning and your actions seem inconsequential. zzzzzzz

Spiritsever - AR/Ele - The Secret World
Ashmaker - Ranger < Prophets > - Age of Conan - #1 in Kills
Sweety - Sorceress < Infinite Darkeness > - SWTOR - 2.6K PvP Rating
??? - Pilot - ??? - EVE
Symir - Swordmaster - Warhammer - RR100
Dreadnaught - Rogue - Rift

DamonVile

Hard Core Member

11/16/13 1:55:02 PM#10
The show is better than the game, and the show isn't that good.
  Ariolander

Novice Member

11/17/13 4:24:32 AM#11

I think its really good for what it is.

I bought it on sale on Steam and at $5 it offers excellent value.

A casual MMO where I can do solo/group play with my brother that doesn't require a monthly fee.

I think in many ways it is Tabula Rasa 2.0, this time with better gunplay and story/voice acting.

Sure, it has its flaws, its not a perfect game but neither is any other MMO and this one doesn't have a monthly fee or very large sticker price. I know I am enjoying it better than I did Tabula Rasa or Firefall, which are the only other MMOs that I can think of to compare.

Phry

Elite Member

11/17/13 4:43:36 AM#12
Originally posted by Ariolander

I think its really good for what it is.

I bought it on sale on Steam and at $5 it offers excellent value.

A casual MMO where I can do solo/group play with my brother that doesn't require a monthly fee.

I think in many ways it is Tabula Rasa 2.0, this time with better gunplay and story/voice acting.

Sure, it has its flaws, its not a perfect game but neither is any other MMO and this one doesn't have a monthly fee or very large sticker price. I know I am enjoying it better than I did Tabula Rasa or Firefall, which are the only other MMOs that I can think of to compare.

If thats the attitude of the average defiance player though, then the game is seriously toast, sunset incoming looks like.

Gatlan

Advanced Member

11/17/13 5:01:33 AM#13
Originally posted by DamonVile
The show is better than the game, and the show isn't that good.

I've only seen 1 episode and I haven't played the game but doesn't Syfy usually cancel good shows?  I think Defiance was renuwed for another season.

LittleBoot

Advanced Member

11/17/13 5:09:17 AM#14

Syfy make and continue to make lots of terrible shows.  

The game is fun but far too brief.  It is more like a 1 day single player than a MMO. 

APThug

Apprentice Member

11/19/13 3:44:38 PM#15
I actually really enjoy this game but can't fully understand why. I just find it fun to play for like a good 20 mintues or so.

DocBrody

Hard Core Member

11/29/13 8:32:16 AM#16

It´s actually quite good, picked it up for a super low price and enjoy it every now and then.

The ATV racing is fun, the engine performs great - it´s a fun casual MMO shooter with RPG elements.

Nephaerius

Advanced Member

11/29/13 8:36:41 AM#17
I think it's a pretty cool title.  Is it mind blowlingly awesome and everyone should play it?  Probably not but it is a unique experience on the market and was definitely well worth my money even when I paid full price for it.  I put in probably close to 100 hours easily and can always pop back in and out whenever I want. 

Twitter: @Nephaerius
Steam: Neph
Xbox 360 GT: Nephaerius

syntax42

Elite Member

11/29/13 10:34:39 AM#18

It is the best shooter PvE MMO ever made.  That doesn't say a lot, though, because not many have been made.

The game is entertaining if played as a shooter.  It under-delivers in the MMO category, though.  Most things can be done solo in the game, and it lacks longevity.  When I played at release, the level cap was around 4000, and it didn't matter if you made it that high or not.  Progression just wasn't something worth chasing because you didn't get more powerful or more capable of killing higher level mobs.

An article on this site said they are trying to improve the progression.  I will wait until that happens before I play it again.  I wouldn't be surprised if they close the servers before they develop decent progression, though.

Gravarg

Spotlight Poster

11/29/13 10:41:21 AM#19
I said it back at launch.  As an MMO it is horrible, but as a shooter it's one of the best.  I still hop on from time to time to kill a few hundred baddies with my sniper rifle :)
  udon

Advanced Member

11/29/13 10:55:26 AM#20

Of it's peers I have played Planetside 2, Global Agenda and Firefall.  Of the four I think Planetside 2 has the best vehicles and PVP, GA had the most solid gun mechanics and instanced PVP and Defiance had the best use of the open world and PVE (not saying a lot).  I couldn't get into Firefall, it wasn't bed but kind of meh overall.

All four of them are mediocre games really.  None of them are really bad games but none of them really stands out as excellent either.

In that regard Defiance really isn't any better or worse than the other games in it's genre I have played which might speak more to my opinion of that kind of game than anything else.  A friend of mine is trying to talk me into giving Destiny a try next year, I'll probably end up giving that game a go as well.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search