Trending Games | ArcheAge | Dragon Age: Inquisition | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,645,615 Users Online:0
Games:686  Posts:6,082,296
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 04/02/13)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$59.99 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC XBox 360 PS3 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Defiance Forum » General Discussion » Last episode convinced me...

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
39 posts found
  Lazarus71

Old School

I play the games I like and don't dwell on the ones I don't, complicated philosophy I know....

7/13/13 3:21:52 PM#21
Couldn't disagree more about the show being bad. I have enjoyed each episode and actually feel the show has gotten better with each episode. I Guess my tastes are not as evolved as some peoples, bring on season 2!

No signature, I don't have a pen

AlBQuirky

Spotlight Poster

Tomorrow's just a future yesterday...

7/13/13 3:25:39 PM#22

Originally posted by Mkilbride
That the writers are literally making this up as they go, throwing random stuff in they deem cool, and over no real idea what they want to do with the show.

I so hear you! I got a "Game of Thrones in the future" vibe when I watched it.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

ElRenmazuo

Hard Core Member

7/13/13 3:31:56 PM#23

Its a decent show but some of the characters really piss me off of their stupidity like the mayors slutty sister who kept falling for the pale alien chicks deception and the human girl who loves the bad guys son that wimped out when they were being attacked by a hellbug and and she was the one who was standing up against it yet later he took the credit like he was all brave.  Plus they keep killing off important characters lol.

The show is not nearly as good as shows like Fringe, Lost, Falling Skies, and Battlestar but im hoping it gets better at season 2.

Mkilbride

Spotlight Poster

OP  7/13/13 3:34:43 PM#24
Game of THrones is based off a decade old book series.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

cura

Elite Member

7/13/13 3:37:11 PM#25
After watching e10 i think im finally done with this crap
  AlBQuirky

Spotlight Poster

Tomorrow's just a future yesterday...

7/13/13 3:41:54 PM#26

Originally posted by Mkilbride
Game of THrones is based off a decade old book series.

It is, but TV has pretty much steered clear of killing off main characters, unless the actor desires to leave the series. With Defiance's season finale, I got a definite "Game of Thrones" vibe with all the peril many main characters were left in.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Margulis

Advanced Member

7/13/13 3:42:18 PM#27
Originally posted by Laughing-man
Entirely disagree, and the fact that it got renewed for season two probably speaks more toward you having bad taste rather than it being a bad show.

It got announced as being renewed at the very beginning of the season...... so that says nothing about the quality of the show.  And it is indeed terrible.

shadow9d9

Apprentice Member

7/16/13 1:58:06 PM#28
Originally posted by Nephaerius
That's how TV show writing has always worked.  Lost, Battlestar Galactica, etc. many of the most popular shows out there were actually written in said fashion despite popular belief.  That's why you see many plot threads started in those shows that are then never followed up on in the future.  There's other ways of writing television too obviously but this one is very popular especially in said genre.

BSG had a bible that detailed where they wanted to go.  They planned about 10 episodes ahead at a time, on their way to that end goal.

r3dl4nce

Novice Member

7/25/13 9:57:13 AM#29

Defiance - first season is over and I'm sad because now I have to wait for the second season.

The first season really was a nice sci-fi/western show (like Firefly) with a mix of Terranova-like life in a city. The vast and well written background of the project (tv show + game) is there and every episode more and more interesting information are being revealed, with just the common episode style of "case of the day" (except last 2 episodes).

The tem behind the TV show has a precise direction where to go with the show and with the crossover with the game, just a lot of people are too lazy to go and inform about the background, about some events of the past or simply are not interested in a western/scifi show and they only think sci-fi = robots + spaceships...

Yes, I'm a fan of the Defiance project and really I am happy that the tv shows has been announced for a second season. So everyone who is saying that Defiance is a fail can only shut up :)

stalker989

Advanced Member

8/03/13 11:16:07 PM#30

Not everyone can or will be pleased with shows that they watch or of which they have high expectations. That being said, it seems to me that most people miss the point of television. It is strictly there for entertainment. I am sure people can go back to watching reruns of 90210 or Jersey Shore if they feel that Defiance is not living up to their expectations. I for one am happy with the first season and glad Da'Tak is (hopefully) going to get his punk a$$ whacked.

I beta'd the game and it is generally fun with some issues; my biggest gripe is that the console layout is definitely designed for console players. I am looking forward to season 2 and seeing how things progress. As for making things up as they go, here's a thought, "the whole show is made up". They are taking on a unique concept of matching a game with a tv series simultaneously, which in my opinion, give the creators (game and tv series) a solid B for their effort.

Vinterkrig

Novice Member

8/04/13 11:26:28 PM#31

I caught the show on a marathon the day of the season finale , recorded all the episodes and watched it over 2 weeks. I think its fantastic the whole Firefly thing someone said, I agree with.. a cross between Firefly and Deadwood.  I'm anxious for a 2nd season (I'm hearing there is a long wait)

The game... its decent... I find it to be a more fun version of Borderlands, mainly for the fact that there is some bit of PVP , and as much as I hate PVE... I do like when it occasionally intersects the TV show.......

My beef... I'd love to have real open world pvp... hah, and I'd like for the game to be based in the Defiance area, would be fun to be in the city... they'd make a killing selling cash shop decorations and whatnot if you could own a house in Defiance.. and would make for a great social area, something the game currently lacks.

I'm close to 35-40 hours in at this point, and not bored... one of the top purchases of the year for me with games.

Mkilbride

Spotlight Poster

OP  8/05/13 12:56:55 AM#32

How much did you pay?

9$?

30$?

60$?

These things affect your review.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Fendel84M

Defender of Worlds

I actually still like MMORPGs

8/21/13 12:22:31 PM#33
Show definitely seems to be more popular than the game. I know a lot more people watching the show. But I do know a few that are into the game as well. Mostly on Xbox or PS3

Reklaw

Elite Member

The adult I am takes care of most things real life. However my inner-child is a GAMER!!

8/27/13 8:53:20 AM#34
Originally posted by Zydari
I have enjoyed the show so far but never had an urge to play the game. 

Tried the game in open beta, didn't like it much. Thought it might had to do with not having seen the series. Never went back to the game since. But have watched all eps now of the tv show, sort of like the show. I do see potential. And it also filled the sci fi scene as there isn't much tv show wise.

But last weekend since I have seen the show now thought to try out the game again. At first it was entertaining, but for some reason I just can't stand my character Visuals and movements, while it's not that much different compared to Firefall I still like Firefall allot more. Thought by seeing the tv series I might enjoy the game allot more. Unfortunaly the game didn't click with me.

Acornia

Apprentice Member

8/27/13 9:07:59 AM#35

Defiance could be taking a page from BBC's early 80s tv show Blake's 7 where at the end of each season they kill off all the main characters.  Then they are all somehow alive in the start of the next season's  show.

Only episode 1 of season 2 will tell us if they stay dead when they finally broadcast it.

ThumbtackJ

Novice Member

8/27/13 9:16:04 AM#36

I enjoyed my time in the game. About 120 hours, give or take. I feel like I got my moneys worth. I'll pop back in from time to time, but overall, I really enjoyed it.

The show on the other hand, I just don't like. I only watched the first 4 or 5 episodes, so perhaps it got better after that. I also felt like Grant Bowler (Nolan) was trying to channel Han Solo but wasn't quite hitting the mark, and Stephanie Leonidas (Irisa) was essentially a semi-attractive, more moody, Chewbacca. Perhaps my expectations were too high, and perhaps I should give it another go.

Om bhur bhuvah svah
tát savitúr váreniyam
bhárgo devásya dhimahi
dhíyo yó nah pracodáyat

Torvaldr

Elite Member

Opportunist

8/27/13 10:13:51 AM#37

I play the game sometimes.  It's fun, but definitely needs some polish.  When I'm in an Arkfall or in them middle of a quest/mission I'm having fun, but those all seem disconnected.  The game world lacks a certain urgency from what I would expect a post-apocalyptic survival scenario to feel like.

I don't watch the show.  I saw some previews on Amazon and it didn't thrill me.  It looks like every other syfy half-effort project.  I'll wait for it to come to Netflix if it ever does.

fascism

Hard Core Member

8/27/13 10:19:25 AM#38
Originally posted by Nephaerius
That's how TV show writing has always worked.  Lost, Battlestar Galactica, etc. many of the most popular shows out there were actually written in said fashion despite popular belief.  That's why you see many plot threads started in those shows that are then never followed up on in the future.  There's other ways of writing television too obviously but this one is very popular especially in said genre.

I always thought lost had a lot of loose ends because of the writers strike that happened, the length of the show got cut in half, from 24-26 eps a season down to 12 or 13 about half way thru

Novice Member

9/08/13 12:07:17 AM#39
The tv show is terrible period end of story, or rather lack there of.  Its just a low budget cop drama with "aliens" every week a new "bad" guy to thwart its so bad, no originality or uniqueness just cheap drama for dramas sake.
2 Pages « 1 2 Search