Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | EverQuest | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,902,213 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,275,642
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 04/02/13)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC XBox 360 PS3 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Defiance Forum » General Discussion » Separate servers for PC/Xbox/PS3?

16 posts found
  Raventree

Novice Member

It is a double pleasure to gank the ganker.
-Raven Treeavelli

OP  2/03/13 9:54:10 AM#1
During this week's MMOFTW I thought someone said that all three systems would be supported but they would play on separate servers.  Can anyone confirm this?  I am concerned that PC players would have a big advantage in PVP vs console player, so that would take care of it for me.  I have a PC as well, but I want an excuse to dust off my Xbox.

Currently playing:
Rift
Played:
SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
World of Warcraft, AoC

udon

Advanced Member

2/03/13 9:59:32 AM#2
Originally posted by Raventree
During this week's MMOFTW I thought someone said that all three systems would be supported but they would play on separate servers.  Can anyone confirm this?  I am concerned that PC players would have a big advantage in PVP vs console player, so that would take care of it for me.  I have a PC as well, but I want an excuse to dust off my Xbox.

I'm the oppisite in that I hope they are combined.  I would really like to be able to jump between the PC and Xbox playing the same character.  Some days I just feel like playing from the couch rather than office chair.

The PVP controls issue means they will probably be seperate however.  A shame really.

Celusios

Apprentice Member

2/03/13 10:03:04 AM#3
I could see all platforms being connected. Yes, PC would have an advantage but I think it could be easily solved by providing a aim assist seen in most games on console and not one on the PC.
  darker70

Novice Member

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

2/03/13 10:04:42 AM#4
Can't see why all 3 can not be on one server I tried the beta and as the game is more suited to a console played as I usually do on my PC infact play most games with my Xbox 360 pad,so no skin of my nose either way and you will find a lot of PC players useing the pad as the UI suits it well.

Scalpless

Hard Core Member

2/03/13 10:07:57 AM#5

Aim assist is really problematic, because you must get it "just right". Otherwise, it gives an advantage to pad users. IIRC the PC version of Halo 2 has aim assist and people used gamepads because of that. Makes hitting fast-moving things in melee much easier.

Separating the servers makes more sense. It would take care of various chat-related issues, too.

Celusios

Apprentice Member

2/03/13 10:22:08 AM#6
Originally posted by Scalpless

Aim assist is really problematic, because you must get it "just right". Otherwise, it gives an advantage to pad users. IIRC the PC version of Halo 2 has aim assist and people used gamepads because of that. Makes hitting fast-moving things in melee much easier.

Separating the servers makes more sense. It would take care of various chat-related issues, too.

Which is the easy way out. I'd still like to see a version in which I could play with console players or go on the console with my character if I want a break from PC. Also communication would have to go through voice. I don't see why a server that is interconnected would be a problem while also giving options to go on servers that are console/PC specific.

FelixMajor

Apprentice Member

2/03/13 10:27:29 AM#7

Can you not use mouse/keyboard on a ps3 and 360 as well?

I always thought you could, so if that is the case why would it matter?  People have the preference to use either mouse/keyboard or a gamepad on either the console or pc?

Originally posted by Arskaaa
"when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

Draemos

Advanced Member

2/03/13 10:30:55 AM#8

http://www.dealspwn.com/microsoft-sony-rivalry-blocking-defiance-crossplatform-multiplayer-124141

The game is actually completely functional cross platform right now, you can put a PS3, a PC, and a 360 person on the same server and they can play together flawlessly.  Microsoft and Sony just won't allow it because they are massive corporate douchebags.

Iceman8235

Hard Core Member

2/03/13 10:39:03 AM#9
I think the #1 reason for cross platform servers would be to start and maintain one large population.  Too often we see server populations drop slightly, partially due to splitting the playerbase up.  After that the gloom and doom trolls roll in to talk about how the game is dying and that you need to abandon ship while you can.  While most people ignore them, they obviously don't help and once the snowball starts rolling it's hard to stop.  That being said, I don't expect there will be cross platform servers.
  superniceguy

Advanced Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

2/03/13 10:43:11 AM#10
Originally posted by Draemos
Microsoft's approval process for cross-platform titles is too stringent (on Xbox live).  Almost nobody bothers with it.

FF XI is. You can use the same account witth Xbox 360, PS2 or PC

PSU was not

I guess it depends on what the terms Microsoft lay out, and what they can agree to.

I will be getting it on PC, and if a the 360 controller for Windows works for the PC version, then it will be the same as Xbox 360 as PC is connected to same TV but probably better graphics but minus achievements, or can play with Keyboard / Mouse if that is better.

I may get the Xbox version as well only for the achievements and to play on Xbox 360 servers if all formats not on the same server.

Thane

Hard Core Member

I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

2/03/13 10:48:36 AM#11
Originally posted by Celusios
I could see all platforms being connected. Yes, PC would have an advantage but I think it could be easily solved by providing a aim assist seen in most games on console and not one on the PC.

aim assist in pvp?

that would be a major fail. nothing else.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Cursedsei

Advanced Member

2/03/13 10:51:03 AM#12

http://www.dealspwn.com/microsoft-sony-rivalry-blocking-defiance-crossplatform-multiplayer-124141

The game is actually completely functional cross platform right now, you can put a PS3, a PC, and a 360 person on the same server and they can play together flawlessly.  Microsoft and Sony just won't allow it because they are massive corporate douchebags.

Originally posted by superniceguy

Microsoft's approval process for cross-platform titles is too stringent (on Xbox live).  Almost nobody bothers with it.

FF XI is. You can use the same account witth Xbox 360, PS2 or PC

@Draemos, the majority of the blame is on Microsoft to begin with. Microsoft in general refuses to open up its console to cross-platform play, it's the reason there is practically zero MMOs on the console. The PS3 doesn't have that issue, as Sony, and the PS3's architecture for all that, is open enough to allow it. Try actually researching a little before resorting to crass, idiotic statements.

@Superniceguy. Final Fantasy 11 is an anamoly. It was only allowed on the 360 in the first place because Microsoft was, and has been, very desperate to try and get a foot into the Japanese market. The install base there for the Xbox is horribly low, and thats with launching alongside support for FF11. They did the same exact thing with Monster Hunter Frontier (the online title), which landed similar results.

They are willing to do damn near anything just to try to get a minute fraction of thier US/EU numbers in Japan. Though, as some other articles have examined, the Way Microsoft shows and exhibits themselves pretty much shot themselves in the foot in that regard.

superniceguy

Advanced Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

2/03/13 11:21:38 AM#13
Originally posted by Cursedsei

@Superniceguy. Final Fantasy 11 is an anamoly. It was only allowed on the 360 in the first place because Microsoft was, and has been, very desperate to try and get a foot into the Japanese market. The install base there for the Xbox is horribly low, and thats with launching alongside support for FF11. They did the same exact thing with Monster Hunter Frontier (the online title), which landed similar results.

Hardly surprising really as it was released on PC and PS2 first and then Xbox 360. By the time it released on Xbox 360 people who wanted to play it already had it.

PSU though was alll released at the same time - Xbox on its own and PS2 and PC players together, and Xbox took the lead, over PS2 and PC version which closed down first. PS2 faded with the release of PS3 but PC would not have done, although game was designed better for console so Xbox was the most popular.

It is a bad timing for releasing a multi platform game like this If you are planning on playiing this for many many years, I think the safest one to go for if you have all 3 systems, would be the PC version as with the next Xbox and PS4 expected to be launched this year, these will more likely to die off first, although should be good for at least 1-2 years.  Steam will probably get the PC version too and be compatible with the Steam console for couch action, or get your PC connected to a TV with the Xbox 360 controller for Windows and you can have your couch time.

bestever

Apprentice Member

2/03/13 1:04:13 PM#14
They're all on diffrent servers because sony and microsoft won't let trion do it. Kinda sucks was ready to smoke some xbox and ps3 players.
  Panther2103

Hard Core Member

2/03/13 1:09:44 PM#15
I haven't played the game but if it has any sort of aiming involved, and pvp then pc players would have a massive advantage. I have a friend who plays xbox with a mouse and keyboard on call of duty and games like that and he obliterates everyone because of the split second aiming switches he can do, that with a joystick on a controller it would be almost impossible to pull off. A mediocre pc player will beat a good xbox player in a shooting game because of the difference in the aiming styles if they are both using their controllers/mouse and keyboard.
  Ezhae

Advanced Member

2/03/13 3:16:46 PM#16
Originally posted by bestever
They're all on diffrent servers because sony and microsoft won't let trion do it. Kinda sucks was ready to smoke some xbox and ps3 players.

Well Microsoft tried to do cross platform before... It didn't end up well for the Xbox players matched against PC users. 

The mos tknown example was Shadowrun shooter which was cross platform, and there is also this: http://www.rahulsood.com/2010/07/console-gamers-get-killed-against-pc.html

" (...)during the development they brought together the best console gamers to play mediocre PC gamers at the same game... and guess what happened? They pitted console gamers with their "console" controller, against PC gamers with their keyboard and mouse.

The console players got destroyed every time. So much so that it would be embarrassing to the XBOX team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative"