Trending Games | Trove | ArcheAge | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,870,949 Users Online:0
Games:744  Posts:6,254,205
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 04/02/13)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC XBox 360 PS3 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Defiance Forum » General Discussion » Game Releasing Two Weeks Before the TV Show, Good or Bad?

9 posts found
  User Deleted

OP  1/30/13 10:13:45 AM#1

It's an interesting move to release the game two weeks before the show starts.   In my opinion, the whole franchise would have benefited from releasing the show first to build some lore and allow players to get an idea of what's actually happening in the world.  

On top of that, I think the ratings on the first couple of episodes would be much higher as most potential players would want to check it out prior to being able to play the game.   Not to mention pre-orders / launch-day purchase increases from viewers new to the game / franchise. 

If the game isn't what many hope for at launch and players lose interest quickly, SyFy stands to lose quite a chunk of viewers before the show even premiers.  

Dilweed

Novice Member

1/30/13 10:19:18 AM#2

Well, I think your argument goes both ways.

Release game first can result in hype for serie or not.

Release serie first can result in hype for game or not.

I think it is decided by who pays the most, Trion or SyFy.

Vannor

Advanced Member

1/30/13 10:25:06 AM#3

TV show should have come first.

Watching the TV show doesn't cost consumers extra. Trying the game at release does. By giving people a free taste of the Defiance franchaise first, people may have been more inclined to part with their money to experience more of it.

With it being BTP, this would have been a much better way to market the game and secure more sales.. if the TV show is good.

A major mistake in my opinion.

ibe12

Novice Member

1/30/13 10:27:04 AM#4
I disagree. I look at the show and the game as being two separate entities operating in the same world. If the show is bad but the game is good then I wouldn't watch the show regardless if it came out before or after the game. Plus I think some people could care less about the actual show they just want to have a game worth playing.
  Kalafax

Advanced Member

1/30/13 10:31:39 AM#5

The idea is that those who play the game can get backstory and feel for the show before it comes out, not to mention it keeps the game world a bit ahead of schedule from the show so that events that the players do can effect how things happen on the show a couple weeks down the line.

You do need to look at the two seperately, but I can understand your thinking on it hyping each other for good or bad, so far the game has been great, and the show looks great, but if the game all of a sudden is terrible its not going to stop me from watching the show and vice versa.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

Dilweed

Novice Member

1/30/13 10:34:25 AM#6
Originally posted by ibe12
I disagree. I look at the show and the game as being two separate entities operating in the same world. If the show is bad but the game is good then I wouldn't watch the show regardless if it came out before or after the game. Plus I think some people could care less about the actual show they just want to have a game worth playing.

So, what would happen if a WoW movie released today?

You think the percentage of viewers is the same for WoW players and people who don't play WoW?

User Deleted
1/30/13 12:26:28 PM#7

Almost every TV show or film based on a video game property has totally sucked.  Almost every video game based on a Film or TV Show property has totally sucked. While there are exceptions to the rule it's true enough that we have come to expect sucktitude from any such cross media projects as such properties simply don't translate across media well. History is against Trion and SyFy here and they have an uphill battle in my eyes.  You see they are attempting to make a video game into a TV Series and a TV Series into a video game AT THE SAME TIME.

OMG... The "potential" for sucktitude is sooo high the vaccum of space actually resonates with audible sound and new forms of energy exciting  physicists world wide with the potential for new discoveries. IDK that it matters which releases first.

That written, I am looking forward to trying the game and checking the show. I hope they can pull it off. I am not sure what it will mean for us in the future with other companies if they do. Let's say I hope this is a good thing in the works rather than something that will somehow "dirty" the games we play.

Wicoa

Apprentice Member

2/01/13 9:35:05 AM#8
They need a stable game for the launch of the TV show,
  Ezhae

Advanced Member

2/01/13 10:32:48 AM#9
Without going into details due to NDA, let's just say story wise game before show makes sense.