Trending Games | The Crew | Neverwinter | Lichdom: Battlemage | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,837,374 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,220,943
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 04/02/13)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC XBox 360 PS3 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Defiance Forum » General Discussion » Dont say there is nothing new in MMOs .. Defiance is it ...

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
55 posts found
  Krytycal

Novice Member

1/24/13 3:56:21 PM#41
Originally posted by FromHell

New, new, new..

I wish some titles would do OLD things right, how about that?

All that is happening is dumbing down and making MMOS "casual".

What is new in Defiance? Seems to me like Firefall with different textures? (I like Firefall btw)

Aside from both games being shooters and set somewhere in the future, they couldn't be more different.

Here's a list of thing that Defiance does better than Firefall:

Better graphics

Better hit detection

Actual customization

Better story (with Secret World style cutscenes)

Invasions/rifts

Co-op instances

A lot more weapons/vehicles

No classes

...and I could go on.

Don't get me wrong, Firefall is not a bad game, but saying Defiance is just Firefall with different textures is just crazy talk. They're both futuristic third person shooters, that's about it.

User Deleted
1/24/13 11:36:33 PM#42

What type of Open World PvP do they have?? I'm only thinking purchasing because of its no sub fee.

tollbooth

Novice Member

1/25/13 12:10:15 AM#43
Originally posted by Krytycal

New, new, new..

What is new in Defiance? Seems to me like Firefall with different textures? (I like Firefall btw)

Aside from both games being shooters and set somewhere in the future, they couldn't be more different.

Here's a list of thing that Defiance does better than Firefall:

Better graphics

Better hit detection

Actual customization

Better story (with Secret World style cutscenes)

Invasions/rifts

Co-op instances

A lot more weapons/vehicles

No classes

...and I could go on.

Don't get me wrong, Firefall is not a bad game, but saying Defiance is just Firefall with different textures is just crazy talk. They're both futuristic third person shooters, that's about it.

Guess it's a matter of opnion because I think Firefall does most of those and much better.   Firefall and Defiance are also extremely similar... because anyone who isn't blind can see that.

supavinz

Apprentice Member

1/25/13 6:13:06 AM#44

Neocron is a real MMOFPS because its a MMORPG too, every new games that name themselves MMOFPS are just FPS multiplayer ... defiance, ts2, firefall, apb, global agenda etc are just like battlefield 3 and no more.

Sometime they got one aspect of the mmo but never all, when they got battle for conquring outpost they dont have pve for exemple.

I'm a MMORPG player,  this is my point of view and why i don't want to play thoses games they call MMOFPS except Neocron :)

Ezhae

Apprentice Member

1/25/13 6:25:28 AM#45
Originally posted by tollbooth

Guess it's a matter of opnion because I think Firefall does most of those and much better.   Firefall and Defiance are also extremely similar... because anyone who isn't blind can see that.

Probably. For me, Firefall, while having better PvP gameplay is much weaker ont he PvE front.. They improved recently with the random events like Tornados, but it's still very clunky. On the other hand Defiance PVP needs lot's of work and I'm not sure if they will manage to bring it up to shape before April. 

The difference i'd say is that Firefall is primarly shooter with MMO elements, while Defiance is MMO built around TPP shooter gameplay.

DamonVile

Elite Member

1/25/13 6:38:32 AM#46
Originally posted by Ezhae

Probably. For me, Firefall, while having better PvP gameplay is much weaker ont he PvE front.. They improved recently with the random events like Tornados, but it's still very clunky. On the other hand Defiance PVP needs lot's of work and I'm not sure if they will manage to bring it up to shape before April. 

The difference i'd say is that Firefall is primarly shooter with MMO elements, while Defiance is MMO built around TPP shooter gameplay.

So you're saying firefalls PvE is weaker even though they've only launched thier first basic pve elements. And you think they need to add more to it even though they have the schedual on what they're adding on the loading screen and you can clearly see they're not even half way on their time line. Firefall may have been around a while, but it's development goes at a snails pace compaired to bigger budget mmos and is far from being at a stage where it can be judged like a ready to launch mmo.

Difiance may end up a great game but every time I see " THIS IS IT, THIS IS THE NEXT BIG THING!!! " I tend to have the same reaction everyone else that's been here a while does....here we go again.

People are like cats. When they die, you get a new one.

Ezhae

Apprentice Member

1/25/13 8:50:47 AM#47
Originally posted by DamonVile
Originally posted by Ezhae

So you're saying firefalls PvE is weaker even though they've only launched thier first basic pve elements. And you think they need to add more to it even though they have the schedual on what they're adding on the loading screen and you can clearly see they're not even half way on their time line. Firefall may have been around a while, but it's development goes at a snails pace compaired to bigger budget mmos and is far from being at a stage where it can be judged like a ready to launch mmo.

Difiance may end up a great game but every time I see " THIS IS IT, THIS IS THE NEXT BIG THING!!! " I tend to have the same reaction everyone else that's been here a while does....here we go again.

I've been in Firefall beta since... gosh, will be since way way before the revamped the whole levelling/loot system. I know how slow they are with developing it. Doesn't change the fact that I judge them at what's in right now, and Firefalls PvE issu eis not just the lack of it per se. It's how clunky it really feels and felt since the I got into the beta. 

And no, I do not htink Defiance is the "next big thing". It's a time killer, that while may seem similar to Firfall on the surface caters to completely different type of player. 

Doogiehowser

Novice Member

1/25/13 8:54:44 AM#48

New, new, new..

Maybe because majority of players now days are casuals? by the way only because game is casual doesn't mean it has to be dumbed down.

It just means people have less time to spend in front of computer but somehow these days casual translates to 'dumb'.

I have more respect for those who achieve things in real life and work hard compared to those who spend 10 hours playing video games and then spend another 10 hours on forums like these throwing random insults at people.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

bestever

Hard Core Member

1/25/13 5:40:09 PM#49
I've played beta and it feels like a mmo to me and a kick ass one at that. 
  Wraithone

Hard Core Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

1/25/13 5:48:28 PM#50
Originally posted by TribeofOne
Defiance the GAME reminded me so much of Tabula Rasa. anyone else?

From what I've seen, it and Firefall have some related elements. Lets hope they don't meet the same fate.

Krytycal

Novice Member

1/26/13 4:49:33 PM#51
Originally posted by Wraithone
Originally posted by TribeofOne
Defiance the GAME reminded me so much of Tabula Rasa. anyone else?

From what I've seen, it and Firefall have some related elements. Lets hope they don't meet the same fate.

Other than being  futuristic MMO third person shooters, I don't see the similarities. They certainly couldn't play or look more different, and I've played the crap out of both.

Firefall is not terrible. Who knows, it might even be a great game when they manage to finally release it in 20 years, but right now, it's on its barebones compared to Defiance.

I do agree the setting is somewhat similar to Tabula Rasa though, but again the combat/gameplay/story couldn't be more different.

If I had to compare Defiance to other games I've played, it would go something like this:

The combat is similar to Tribes: Ascend (down to launchers and hitscan weapons, minus jetpacks). It's also similar to Borderlands.

The look/setting is closest to an improved version of Tabula Rasa (realistic graphics with post-apocalyptic human/alien landscapes, nothing cartoonish like Borderlands or Firefall)

The gameplay is a mix of Rift and Borderlands. Progession/powers are similar to BL (many modifiable weapons to choose from, same power/perks system, vehicles, etc) with some traditional MMORPG components (rifts, 4-man instances, faction rep, etc). 

rojoArcueid

Elite Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

1/26/13 5:00:27 PM#52
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by jimdandy26
Nari, I almost think you are trolling at this point. the paradigm is new, but Defiance as a game itself does not bring anything new to the table gameplay wise. Though it did steal a couple of cool things that other games should steal too.

well .. tying in with a tv show like this is new, isn't it? I didn't say new in gameplay, did i?

"New" in lore and how they do stories (i.e. ties with tv show) is new too. You may not like it, but that does not make it less "new". And i am not even say it will be successful.

that ¨new¨ feature will only affect players who also watch the tv series. Players who arent interested in the tv series will only find a directly contender to Firefall. Nothing newer than that. Of course if they pull it off that would be great, but gamewise its just that.... the first contender against FF

My endgame begins with character creation and ends with a new mmorpg

StonesDK

Apprentice Member

1/26/13 5:02:45 PM#53

The game is miles better than Firefall IMO on the PvE front and story wise. Firefalls strength is with its PvP, since it's aimed at being an E-sports arena style game where PvE is just a means to advance your toon for PvP. The PvE side is more of a gimmic .

My impressions from defiance PvE, is that it's the main meat of the game where the focus is at.

mmoguy43

Spotlight Poster

1/26/13 5:05:06 PM#54
There is no talk about it because there NDA is still up. Still, what do we have here? people breaking the NDA left and right.  Mods are selectively deleting posts. Some people are making up random crap about the game and others feel they need to break the NDA to set things straight. There was no talk for a good reason.

Let's build the ultimate MMO 1 feature at a time
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/398555/page/1

StonesDK

Apprentice Member

1/26/13 5:07:36 PM#55
Originally posted by mmoguy43
There is no talk about it because there NDA is still up. Still, what do we have here? people breaking the NDA left and right.  Mods are selectively deleting posts. Some people are making up random crap about the game and others feel they need to break the NDA to set things straight. There was no talk for a good reason.

Somebody wishes he was a mod. You could be a pretend one and report what you see left and right. That way you can at the very least get a little bit of that feeling with you

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search