Trending Games | Trove | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,871,057 Users Online:0
Games:744  Posts:6,254,259
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 04/02/13)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC XBox 360 PS3 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Defiance Forum » General Discussion » Defiance is my top pick for a MMORPG in 2013.

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 Search
113 posts found
  Krytycal

Novice Member

1/22/13 5:59:17 PM#101
Originally posted by mmoguy43

I don't understand why everyone is saying it is like Borderlands. It isn't much of an RPG and there isn't much in terms of weapon variety(maybe I'm wrong?). APB + Tabula Rasa with a side of RIFT sounds more accurate.

news bite:

In terms of specific crossover, Beliaeff cites an example where a doctor in the TV show discovers a nanite contagion. She reaches out to one of her NPC colleagues in the game, who in turn provides players with a series of missions that they'll need to complete before the next episode of the show.

Something happens in the TV show and you "contribute" by doing the kill/delivery missions. TV show: "Thanks to our friends from _ outpost" and the story continues. So the impact players have isn't going to be real and I doubt there are any fail or alternate paths because the TV show comes first (pre-determinded).

I've played all those games you listed and the game is closer to Borderlands than it is to APB or Tabula Rasa. Yes, there aren't as many weapons as Borderlands, but the ones that they have resemble the weapons in Borderlands. The story and vehicles are also there. Same power/perks system, etc. 

tollbooth

Novice Member

1/22/13 6:03:44 PM#102
Originally posted by Krytycal

I've played almost every MMOFPS/TPS out there (APB, Global Agenda, Planetside, Tabula Rasa, Fall Earth, Firefall, etc).

So far Defiance feels the most complete and I've had more fun with it in alpha than I've had in any of the other games with the exception of APB's customization.

I think the best way to describe it is Rift with Borderlands combat. It's not perfect by any stretch, but it sure beats the alternatives. 

Was this suppose to be a joke?

Draemos

Advanced Member

1/23/13 3:51:28 AM#103
Originally posted by tollbooth
Was this suppose to be a joke?

No, he's pretty accurate in his assessment. You probably didn't play enough.  Some of the games probably do certain things better (Planetside world PvP, Firefall team PvP, APB customization, etc), but from an all around perspective Defiance does feel the most complete from head to toe.  Especially when you watch some of the streams they put out of the team PvE content and world PvP.
  Coman

Hard Core Member

1/23/13 8:16:08 AM#104

news bite:

In terms of specific crossover, Beliaeff cites an example where a doctor in the TV show discovers a nanite contagion. She reaches out to one of her NPC colleagues in the game, who in turn provides players with a series of missions that they'll need to complete before the next episode of the show.

Something happens in the TV show and you "contribute" by doing the kill/delivery missions. TV show: "Thanks to our friends from _ outpost" and the story continues. So the impact players have isn't going to be real and I doubt there are any fail or alternate paths because the TV show comes first (pre-determinded).

I think it migth be possible they shot two scenes and depending on what happens they will show the one or the other. Would be silly if the player failed, that they mention in the series there colleagues where usefull or thanks them. Unless offcourse they designed the game so that it is impossible to fail the quest. 

either way the concept is interesting whatever the player has an impact of not. The concept of having a new, one time, public quest every week is a great idea whatever or not there is a serie attached to it ;)

Squeak69

Advanced Member

cheese cheese wheres da bloody cheese

1/25/13 4:58:00 PM#105
Originally posted by Coman

news bite:

I think it migth be possible they shot two scenes and depending on what happens they will show the one or the other. Would be silly if the player failed, that they mention in the series there colleagues where usefull or thanks them. Unless offcourse they designed the game so that it is impossible to fail the quest. 

either way the concept is interesting whatever the player has an impact of not. The concept of having a new, one time, public quest every week is a great idea whatever or not there is a serie attached to it ;)

we are talking about a game where a few thousand people will be playing it, at least one person will succeed, so i agree it all pre determined

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used to
Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

xpowderx

Advanced Member

Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. Richard Feynman, Nobel-prize-winning physicist

OP  3/16/13 9:23:30 PM#106
Looks like Defiance is going to be top notch. Especially after just watching the IGN hour long video. Expect to see GREAT things from this title!

MUST WATCH: http://vimeo.com/105072944

ElRenmazuo

Elite Member

3/16/13 11:47:10 PM#107
Originally posted by xpowderx

Yes, you heard it! I am picking Defiance as the most likely candidate for both MMORPG of the year and most innovative. Why most innovative? As Defiance is the only mmo to be cross-platform. available on PC,Xbox360 and PS3's. It is also the only game I know of where our actions in the game effect the new series Defiance on Syfy.

I loved Rift, if Defiance is anywhere near the gameplay and content Rift provides it will be incredible!

My best wishes to those playing Defiance now and Trion Worlds. Such a innovative title!

ummm final fantasy 11 been had cross platform and even on same servers with international player with a built-in translator on 360/PC/PS2/PS3 since before WoW came out plus its actually a "mmorpg".  Defiance doesnt even let PC and 360 play on same servers.

Antiquated

Novice Member

3/17/13 1:14:15 AM#108
Originally posted by DSWBeef
I agree with you. Ive been saying for months how Defiance will swoop in under the radar and take over. Wish I could break NDA.....

Interesting that someone thought to combine addictive behaviors (MMOs, television, and social media) all into one pulsing mass.

Now if they can just work in drinking, somehow.

"Brought to you by Anheuser-Busch and that industry we can't legally talk about any more."

There we go, winnah!

psychobgr

Hard Core Member

3/17/13 2:28:38 AM#109
Originally posted by morbuskabis

Just wonder how the EU ppl will be able to watch the Syfy part. Any news on that?

I live in the UK and we have SyFy channel. It looks like the TV series starts here on the 16th April 2013.

http://www.geektown.co.uk/tvairdates/defiance/

User Deleted
3/17/13 10:10:48 PM#110

Yes, you heard it! I am picking Defiance as the most likely candidate for both MMORPG of the year and most innovative. Why most innovative? As Defiance is the only mmo to be cross-platform. available on PC,Xbox360 and PS3's. It is also the only game I know of where our actions in the game effect the new series Defiance on Syfy.

I loved Rift, if Defiance is anywhere near the gameplay and content Rift provides it will be incredible!

My best wishes to those playing Defiance now and Trion Worlds. Such a innovative title!

Really the term "innovation" means "i really like it" here...and in most applications of its use.

Theres nothing innovative about the game, its a MMORPG with guns.

I really detest when people use the term innovative when talking about a game.  Almost 100% used to sell the game to people and rarely includes an actual innovation or uniqueness.

I think the game will do fine, and im probably going to play it at launch.  It just irks me to see innovation used here.  Yeah multi-platform is great when all play together, which they wont be due to first party hardware nazi'ism...cant have soe customers playing with microsoft customers now can we?

Linking it to a tv show is more a gimmick than anything else.  Plenty of games have been based off other forms of media, and rarely does it result in all the fans of said tv/movie/book ip jumping into the game, and rarely does it involve fans of a game taking up the various other forms of media that the game takes from. 

Again, im most likely going to buy and support this game, i just cant stand the advertisement quality support a lot of people place on games.  Call it hype if you want...it typically serves a game a dis-service in getting people expections too high.  Most cant handel a game not meeting expectations and take it very personally against the developers and game itself.

I honestly think games would do better if everyone just said the game was average...at least better past the first month.

azzamasin

Elite Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

3/18/13 8:32:24 PM#111
Originally posted by Mavolence
Originally posted by deanobeano1

youll be dissapointed, as defiance is nothing like rift. at first it sounded like it was going to be. but i know someone testing it and he says they recently made item drops flat across the whole game because they wanted everyone to be equal in pvp. by this i mean an item you find as a noob is your end game equipment. dont expect to find better gear because there is no progression.

the game could not be more different than rift. the developers think that story and pvp is enough. if you enjoy hunt for better gear, dont bother, there is no hunt for better gear.

uber fail incoming.

Wait..wait a game with no gear treadmill is a bad thing? O.o

they said it was for GW2 so yes to be fair it must be for this game too.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

sancher36

Advanced Member

3/19/13 7:50:56 AM#112
Originally posted by azzamasin
Originally posted by Mavolence
Originally posted by deanobeano1

youll be dissapointed, as defiance is nothing like rift. at first it sounded like it was going to be. but i know someone testing it and he says they recently made item drops flat across the whole game because they wanted everyone to be equal in pvp. by this i mean an item you find as a noob is your end game equipment. dont expect to find better gear because there is no progression.

the game could not be more different than rift. the developers think that story and pvp is enough. if you enjoy hunt for better gear, dont bother, there is no hunt for better gear.

uber fail incoming.

Wait..wait a game with no gear treadmill is a bad thing? O.o

they said it was for GW2 so yes to be fair it must be for this game too.

Weapons with hundreds of modifications and also the level of mobs does affect what drops in game 

xpowderx

Advanced Member

Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. Richard Feynman, Nobel-prize-winning physicist

OP  3/22/13 8:40:24 AM#113
Originally posted by Antiquated
Originally posted by DSWBeef
I agree with you. Ive been saying for months how Defiance will swoop in under the radar and take over. Wish I could break NDA.....

Interesting that someone thought to combine addictive behaviors (MMOs, television, and social media) all into one pulsing mass.

Now if they can just work in drinking, somehow.

"Brought to you by Anheuser-Busch and that industry we can't legally talk about any more."

There we go, winnah!

heh, I prefer my Jager :-D And it looks like Defiance is swooping over and is the "IN" game for the year!

MUST WATCH: http://vimeo.com/105072944

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 Search