Trending Games | World of Warcraft | EVE Online | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,815,003 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,213,913
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 04/02/13)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC XBox 360 PS3 | Out of date info? Let us know!

Defiance Forum » General Discussion » Not a BIG fan of Trion's Worlds

7 posts found
  Mischiff

Advanced Member

OP  1/06/13 12:32:39 AM#1

I really want to like this game, I like Rift for the most part, but Trion has some of the worst worlds, they seem very barren, open and empty for the most part ..(Silverwood, Iron Pine Peak & Gloamwood) being the only 3 zones i really liked. Stonefield was interesting and not too bad, But out of the11 zones in the original game, only the 3 in quotes where not barren. and when i played the expansion, God, more barren land .. so nice and .. empty  and im not talking empty meaning no buildings, rocks stumps etc.. just not much keeping u from seeing across the whole zone.

Why does it seem to be easier to make barren land than forest and swamps etc .. I hope that just because its futuristic they dont make it all barren. Id rather see over grown with vegitation, than empty with stumps, rocks and a lot of dirt.

Ive really enjoyed TSW's worlds even though i couldnt wait to get out of Egypt, i knew i would love transylvania and i have.

I just would like lush zones not zones that mirror the moons surface!

jimdandy26

Apprentice Member

1/06/13 12:34:53 AM#2
I feel the game is just ugly. Bloom does not equal good graphics, and the aesthetics I find really boring.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

Mischiff

Advanced Member

OP  1/06/13 12:42:59 AM#3
Id really love to see a world like the one in the movie Avatar !   =)
  DMKano

Elite Member

1/10/13 8:48:26 AM#4
You obviously haven't played storm legion - the zones are AMAZING.
  DMKano

Elite Member

1/10/13 8:51:00 AM#5
Oh its also worth mentioning that Defiance was made by a completely separate team at Trion based out of San Diego studio, Rift Dev team is out of Redwood city, so two entirely separate studios with their own art teams engineers etc...
  Tiller

Guide

1/11/13 8:20:27 PM#6
WTF? I just learned of this game (actually I had forgoten about it till i saw they were in beta) and I gotta say it looks a hell of a lot better than the SWTOR I wasted $150 on.

SWG pre-cu vet, elder Jedi, elder BH -Bloodfin

lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

1/11/13 8:36:43 PM#7

That's not barren and empty, that's constricted. The zones are arranged in such a way that you travel through a large part of the zone's area, in a crooked line. I think the main reason for doing this is performance. By reducing the area that needs to be visible and drawn, more machines will be able to run the game. Framerates will generally be higher for the stuff that is drawn. This is especially true with the rifts opening up and mobs spawning out of the rifts.

Another reason might be the time it takes to generate decent terrain. The larger the terrain, the longer it takes to create it, and most players are going to run through the terrain once, and move on. It's been awhile since I played, but isn't the terrain around the areas where players will return more open? The areas where players can be expected to run through and move on seem to be more tunneled. That's what I remember anyway.

** edit **
I don't know if the zones are better than SWToR or not, but Trion definitely filled the zones better than Bioware.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.