Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,737 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,760
CCP Games
MMORPG | Genre:Horror | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:CCP Games
Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

World of Darkness Forum » General Discussion » World of Darkness will have permadeath per CCP

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
130 posts found
  RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

3/25/12 11:47:27 AM#41
Originally posted by Kendane
Originally posted by RefMinor
Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Well, this and Salem makes two upcoming mmos for me to totally forget about now. If I want permadeath, I'll jump off a real life bridge.

I guess you didnt read my post just above yours then. Only the head of a guild who runs one of the cities is ever even at risk so permadeath is only for those who want to risk it.

So obtaining the "top spot" is still unattainable without having the risk of losing everything I worked for in the game prior.

No thanks, I'll stay away.

Fair enough, but I imagine you wouldn't get to the top 10 (guesswork) players in a sandbox game if you weren't a bit of a risktaker.

Ah if thats how it works, the permadeath bit doesn't seem like it would be as bad. I was thinking at first a Prince could just have players characters destroyed if they didn't pay them "tribute" or tell him he was as awesome as he wanted to hear, basically what would happen in an MMO if someone with power could dictate whos character gets destroyed. Almost had an image or every guild in the city having to pay a "Sacrafice" of the Prince's choosing every month or something.

Guessing the Prince dude has that power, but has some "Protection" removed where they can perma die too? Eh guessing its too early to know for sure, kind of interesting though.

I imagine being permadeathed will be like a badge of honour, it means for a while you won the game.
  User Deleted
3/25/12 11:48:12 AM#42

Well, this and Salem makes two upcoming mmos for me to totally forget about now. If I want permadeath, I'll jump off a real life bridge.

I guess you didnt read my post just above yours then. Only the head of a guild who runs one of the cities is ever even at risk so permadeath is only for those who want to risk it.

So obtaining the "top spot" is still unattainable without having the risk of losing everything I worked for in the game prior.

Fair enough, but I imagine you wouldn't get to the top 10 (guesswork) players in a sandbox game if you weren't a bit of a risktaker.

Ah if thats how it works, the permadeath bit doesn't seem like it would be as bad. I was thinking at first a Prince could just have players characters destroyed if they didn't pay them "tribute" or tell him he was as awesome as he wanted to hear, basically what would happen in an MMO if someone with power could dictate whos character gets destroyed. Almost had an image or every guild in the city having to pay a "Sacrafice" of the Prince's choosing every month or something.

Guessing the Prince dude has that power, but has some "Protection" removed where they can perma die too? Eh guessing its too early to know for sure, kind of interesting though.

And in the past we've seen how well bugs work in these games, what if the first person finally reaches the prince and he bugs out instantly killing everyone who walks through the door, not a very good thing to place in an mmo imo, if you want permadeath go outside IRL . This kind of immersion really isn't all the well planned usually and ends up being a bigger pain in the long run. They've tried it before just like they tried gear scores before look how well that worked.

RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

3/25/12 11:49:34 AM#43
"The game will have a single-shard world, with sandbox territorial warfare for control of cities mirroring EVE Online's nullsec warfare. Developers investigated using real cities for the game but found that "real cities were generally boring." Presenters told fans that the team will "be using stylised versions, but they will be named after real cities." Each city will be lorded over by a player prince, who will under rare circumstances be potentially subjected to permadeath."
  Acidon

Elite Member

Permafried

3/25/12 11:50:53 AM#44
Originally posted by Corehaven
Originally posted by Deathenger

There was a question about death which was answered by confirming there will be permadeath unless I misunderstood. I'm really interested in how this will work in the end and how much of an impact it will really have on the game. It's about 30 min into the video, I tried to link best I could to the exact moment of the question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Cf_xGH0v93U#t=1846s

Just watched again and I believe the answer to permadeath was "You can be permanently killed and your character removed to the game" Inderesting indeed and I'm looking forward to more info on this in the future.

Hey I love the IP so much thats fine with me but.....

I kind of have to laugh at the idea of permadeath in a game....where....you are a vampire.  Ahem.  Just sayin. 

I know, right? 

That said, I dont' mind that at all.  Fearing death again would be a very nice feeling that I haven't had for years.  Plus at this point anyway, WoD can do no wrong... (Sorry, I loved the PnP games, I am very much looking forward to this).

Playing: EverQuest, RiFT, Defiance, APB:Reloaded
Mourning: World of Darkness, Vanguard, City of Heroes

Free, Clean & Safe Quality of Life Software:
http://www.acidonsolutions.com

TruthXHurts

Novice Member

I am here to chew bubblegum and to kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum!

3/25/12 11:51:25 AM#45
Originally posted by Corehaven
Originally posted by Deathenger

There was a question about death which was answered by confirming there will be permadeath unless I misunderstood. I'm really interested in how this will work in the end and how much of an impact it will really have on the game. It's about 30 min into the video, I tried to link best I could to the exact moment of the question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Cf_xGH0v93U#t=1846s

Just watched again and I believe the answer to permadeath was "You can be permanently killed and your character removed to the game" Inderesting indeed and I'm looking forward to more info on this in the future.

Hey I love the IP so much thats fine with me but.....

I kind of have to laugh at the idea of permadeath in a game....where....you are a vampire.  Ahem.  Just sayin. 

Sunlight... Just sayin.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Yalexy

Novice Member

3/25/12 11:53:20 AM#46

Yeah, like Ref posted above, permadeath will not affect anyone else but the princes, e.g. the character in control of a city.

And permadeath isn't actually that bad in a game, where there's no leveling etc, but only some items to collect.

World of Darkness is all about social engineering, and not about progressing with your character in terms of skills, talents or levels.

RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

3/25/12 11:54:43 AM#47
Originally posted by itgrowls

And in the past we've seen how well bugs work in these games, what if the first person finally reaches the prince and he bugs out instantly killing everyone who walks through the door, not a very good thing to place in an mmo imo, if you want permadeath go outside IRL . This kind of immersion really isn't all the well planned usually and ends up being a bigger pain in the long run. They've tried it before just like they tried gear scores before look how well that worked.

Hmm, instead of only the prince being able to permadie, if suddenly "everyone who walked through the door" permadied, don't you think the developers might just step in at that point, this is not the game for you I fear, stay away in case your fears dilute it.
  TruthXHurts

Novice Member

3/25/12 11:56:37 AM#48

Hmm, instead of only the prince being able to permadie, if suddenly "everyone who walked through the door" permadied, don't you honk the developers might just step in at that point, this is not the game for you I fear, stay away in case your fears dilute it.

Another person who has probably NEVER played a permadeath game citing why it will never work.

User Deleted
3/25/12 11:58:13 AM#49

Hmm, instead of only the prince being able to permadie, if suddenly "everyone who walked through the door" permadied, don't you honk the developers might just step in at that point, this is not the game for you I fear, stay away in case your fears dilute it.

Clearly it's not, and i don't "honk" the devs will step in fast enough. It's already bad enough that at launch they won't be including the five other major player factions that were in their game before their dice game's end of the world scenario completed. It's sad really that they aren't including the very thing that made their dice game great at launch. I'm sorry but waiting for these games like this and watching them put things like this into a game not to be outside the box but to just stunt the character's development is the last straw imo.

TruthXHurts

Novice Member

3/25/12 12:01:03 PM#50

Clearly it's not, and i don't "honk" the devs will step in fast enough. It's already bad enough that at launch they won't be including the five other major player factions that were in their game before their dice game's end of the world scenario completed. It's sad really that they aren't including the very thing that made their dice game great at launch. I'm sorry but waiting for these games like this and watching them put things like this into a game not to be outside the box but to just stunt the character's development is the last straw imo.

I'll be sure to give the high level guys driving firetrucks with heavy lasers attached that their character development is stunted in the permadeath MMO I play.

jmcdermottuk

Hard Core Member

3/25/12 12:03:38 PM#51

This seems to have become twisted and people are saying the Prince will be affected by Permadeath. That's not what was said. Watch the linked youtube file and it's very clear. The Prince can call a Blood Hunt on someone, probably for a major infraction of the Masquerade (that's my best guess), and that player can then be hunted down and killed. Nobody said that only Princes can be killed.

They clearly said that a Blood Hunt can result in permadeath, and only a Prince can call a Blood Hunt.

It's amazing how quickly a very simple statement can be twisted into something else.

User Deleted
3/25/12 12:03:45 PM#52
Originally posted by TruthXHurts

I'll be sure to give the high level guys driving firetrucks with heavy lasers attached that their character development is stunted in the permadeath MMO I play.

I "honk" that might be best.

Fusion

Old School

3/25/12 12:03:49 PM#53

Incase you don't know about WW and VtM / WoD, i suggest you read on it a bit.. Final death is what they're propably talking about here, and in VtM final death isn't that easily gained :)

Currently playing: -

Waiting for: Class4.

Dead and Buried: ESO, NWO, GW2, SWTOR, Darkfall, AO, AC2, Vanguard, CoH/V, EnB, EVE, Neocron, FE, EQ, EQ2, DAoC, FFXI, FFXIV, SWG, WoW, and billions of eastern junks!

Acidon

Elite Member

Permafried

3/25/12 12:06:17 PM#54
Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

This seems to have become twisted and people are saying the Prince will be affected by Permadeath. That's not what was said. Watch the linked youtube file and it's very clear. The Prince can call a Blood Hunt on someone, probably for a major infraction of the Masquerade (that's my best guess), and that player can then be hunted down and killed. Nobody said that only Princes can be killed.

They clearly said that a Blood Hunt can result in permadeath, and only a Prince can call a Blood Hunt.

It's amazing how quickly a very simple statement can be twisted into something else.

We had a lesson in that in the 3rd grade (yes I can remember that far back).  We all sat in a circle, and the teacher whispered a phrase to the person next to her.  It was whispered around until it got back to the teacher.  At that point, it was a different phrase entirely.  I have never forgotten that lesson.

Playing: EverQuest, RiFT, Defiance, APB:Reloaded
Mourning: World of Darkness, Vanguard, City of Heroes

Free, Clean & Safe Quality of Life Software:
http://www.acidonsolutions.com

RavingRabbid

Advanced Member

Remember Rabbids cant play MMO's, but they can dance!

3/25/12 12:10:14 PM#55
The permadeath aspect doesnt bother me as long as there are safeguards in place to prevent player(s) having a bad day from taking it out on other players.....if player have this power. **** Raving Rabbid wants his WOD now dammit! ****

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
Playing: SWTOR, Marvel Heroes and WOT.

RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

3/25/12 12:10:49 PM#56

My quote was from here.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/24/world-of-darkness-presented-at-eve-fanfest-2012/

The two are not mutually exclusive, it is possible a prince may only call a blood hunt on another prince for example.
  RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

3/25/12 12:11:45 PM#57
Originally posted by TruthXHurts

I "honk" that might be best.

Isn't autocorrect spellcheck a blast
  jmcdermottuk

Hard Core Member

3/25/12 12:20:58 PM#58

My quote was from here.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/24/world-of-darkness-presented-at-eve-fanfest-2012/

The two are not mutually exclusive, it is possible a prince may only call a blood hunt on another prince for example.

I disagree. A prince will call Blood Hunt on minions under his control for serious transgressions. It's a form of punishment.

A Prince wanting another Prince bumped off would be classed as an assassination. They're very different things and used in very different situations.

Edit: Having read the massively article, he's got it wrong. Go watch the youtube clip and listen to the founder of CCP. Right from the horses mouth, not some journo who obviously missed the point.

RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

3/25/12 12:35:16 PM#59

My quote was from here.

I disagree. A prince will call Blood Hunt on minions under his control for serious transgressions. It's a form of punishment.

A Prince wanting another Prince bumped off would be classed as an assassination. They're very different things and used in very different situations.

Edit: Having read the massively article, he's got it wrong. Go watch the youtube clip and listen to the founder of CCP. Right from the horses mouth, not some journo who obviously missed the point.

It doesn't say who it can be called on, he doesn't mention minions, he just says he can call it on you. The massively article put it in quotes so that usually means someone said those words. I guess we need more info from CCP to clarify the point.
  jmcdermottuk

Hard Core Member

3/25/12 5:19:15 PM#60

My quote was from here.

It doesn't say who it can be called on, he doesn't mention minions, he just says he can call it on you. The massively article put it in quotes so that usually means someone said those words. I guess we need more info from CCP to clarify the point.

Not really. If you're at all familiar with the IP then the use of the term "Blood Hunt" should be enough to explain it.

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search