Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online | Age of Wushu

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,797,226 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,195,642
LucasArts / SOE Austin
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 06/23/03)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars Galaxies Forum » Rumor Room » Community RollBack Now!

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
27 posts found
  MindTrigger

Advanced Member

9/23/13 10:40:18 AM#21

As one of the most die-hard SWG fans on this website, an OG player from launch to well into the NGE (several years), I can honestly say that pre-CU SWG does not hold up real well today. I absolutely loved it back then, but it has not aged well. 

Even if someone could get their hands on the code, you would need to head more in the direction of rebuilding the game as "SWG 2", with a new engine, rather than simply rolling back.  There's already a niche market using *the project which will remain unnamed*, and anyone can go try that for themselves.  You'll find the same thing that I did, most likely, which is that the pre-cu game needs a lot of updating to be taken seriously in today's market.  The concepts are valid, especially with an increasing number of people who are tired of theme parks.

SOE says the old pre-NGE code doesn't even exist anymore.  Whether or not that is true, they aren't going to give the code away.  Their corporate view of the world doesn't allow for such things.  John Carmack is one of the few people out there who release the source code of their older games.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Distopia

Drifter

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

9/23/13 10:44:12 AM#22
Originally posted by MindTrigger

As one of the most die-hard SWG fans on this website, an OG player from launch to well into the NGE (several years), I can honestly say that pre-CU SWG does not hold up real well today. I absolutely loved it back then, but it has not aged well. 

Even if someone could get their hands on the code, you would need to head more in the direction of rebuilding the game as "SWG 2", with a new engine, rather than simply rolling back.  There's already a niche market using *the project which will remain unnamed*, and anyone can go try that for themselves.  You'll find the same thing that I did, most likely, which is that the pre-cu game needs a lot of updating to be taken seriously in today's market.  The concepts are valid, but the game hasn't aged well.

SOE says the old pre-NGE code doesn't even exist anymore.  Whether or not that is true, they aren't going to give the code away.  Their corporate view of the world doesn't allow for such things.  John Carmack is one of the few people out there who release the source code of their older games.

I agree, mostly. While the game-play really doesn't feel fluid anymore, it still has the best skill system I've played with in an MMORPG.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

MindTrigger

Advanced Member

9/23/13 10:49:49 AM#23
Originally posted by Distopia

Even if someone could get their hands on the code, you would need to head more in the direction of rebuilding the game as "SWG 2", with a new engine, rather than simply rolling back.  There's already a niche market using *the project which will remain unnamed*, and anyone can go try that for themselves.  You'll find the same thing that I did, most likely, which is that the pre-cu game needs a lot of updating to be taken seriously in today's market.  The concepts are valid, but the game hasn't aged well.

I agree, mostly. While the game-play really doesn't feel fluid anymore, it still has the best skill system I've played with in an MMORPG.

Oh yeah, it has lots of great gameplay elements, but taken as a whole game, it needs a lot of work.  All we can really hope for is that some time within the next few years, someone will start a new Star Wars MMO with more open world design in mind.  SWTOR is mediocre at best, so I can't imagine it being a factor as Disney milks the Star Wars IP in the coming years.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Acornia

Apprentice Member

9/23/13 11:00:01 AM#24

The only way we could get a new SWG game is if we could get Dinsey / SOE to make one based on the new Star Wars movies using the game engine for EQ Next.

DeathmachinePT

Apprentice Member

9/23/13 11:16:37 AM#25

Even if someone could get their hands on the code, you would need to head more in the direction of rebuilding the game as "SWG 2", with a new engine, rather than simply rolling back.  There's already a niche market using *the project which will remain unnamed*, and anyone can go try that for themselves.  You'll find the same thing that I did, most likely, which is that the pre-cu game needs a lot of updating to be taken seriously in today's market.  The concepts are valid, especially with an increasing number of people who are tired of theme parks.

SWG for me was the best MMO that never was :P

It had the right foundations had a lot of potential in terms of features it could support especially with roleplaying, exploration, crafting etc but most gameplay was boring and a grind fest it didn't required much to improve significant the mechanics to be a way more interesting and enjoyable experience.

After trying the boxing system of SWG all MMOs that I try with the LvL system seem obsolete.

And btw SWGEmu seems almost like Pre-Cu pretty sure they have some pre-cu code and at least art, they already added hi res textures to the game and some mods allow more than 2GB of RAM and 60 Fps.

If SWGemu team manages to make the game XYZ modding communities will take care of the rest and new private servers will exist, I doubt EQ next engine is capable of making a sandbox game I would be happy with EQ2 Engine.

Z77 ASROCK OC FORMULA
Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz+H100i
EVGA 660 Super OC
8GB Patriot Viper Extreme Div 2 @2400mhz
SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

9/23/13 11:59:56 AM#26
Originally posted by Loktofeit
Originally posted by Rabia

Community RollBack Now!  SOE should open source SWG so we can roll it back, and then finish the game.

What is the benefit to the company to do that?  Is this an entitlement thing or were you going somewhere with this thought?

Shhh, maybe someone there's a corporate bean-counter who sees the $$$ potential of re-opening entombed titles.

"One-time fee, only $250, YOU can still play your favorite toon of yore! (no warranty express or implied nanana, sign here)"

(Fee charged up-front because you want to get the cash before they discover you can't go home again.)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

MindTrigger

Advanced Member

9/23/13 12:01:28 PM#27
Originally posted by DeathmachinePT

SWG for me was the best MMO that never was :P

It had the right foundations had a lot of potential in terms of features it could support especially with roleplaying, exploration, crafting etc but most gameplay was boring and a grind fest it didn't required much to improve significant the mechanics to be a way more interesting and enjoyable experience.

After trying the boxing system of SWG all MMOs that I try with the LvL system seem obsolete.

And btw SWGEmu seems almost like Pre-Cu pretty sure they have some pre-cu code and at least art, they already added hi res textures to the game and some mods allow more than 2GB of RAM and 60 Fps.

If SWGemu team manages to make the game XYZ modding communities will take care of the rest and new private servers will exist, I doubt EQ next engine is capable of making a sandbox game I would be happy with EQ2 Engine.

They have been reverse engineering the server side code.  They do not have their own client (engine), they require you to own the original install disks (pre-CU).  

They claim that they will eventually have their own client, though that seems pretty unlikely because right now they aren't breaking any laws.  If they use *any* of the SOE intellectual property to make their own client, they will be crossing that line.   The client is where all the graphics are.  The server side is just a big database, functionally.  To make their own client, without permission from SOE, they would need to basically recreate the whole game in a new engine.  They aren't going to get permission for any of this from Disney either.  Disney is notoriously strict with their properties too, so the emu probably better stay off their radar.

The other thing about the emu is that is is completely volunteer, and updates are super slow coming.  They've worked hard to get where they are, but they can only do so much.  Meanwhile, the game itself continues to age out.  There are only 2000-3000 or so people playing it.  Plenty on a single server, if you find you still like that version of the game.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search