Trending Games | ArcheAge | Neverwinter | WildStar | The Secret World

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,819,601 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,216,555
LucasArts / SOE Austin
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 06/23/03)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
36 posts found
  Sifulee

Novice Member

OP  7/20/13 12:48:04 PM#21
What about if we started a post on kick starter see if we can raise some funds so SOE and Disney to take us for real
  niceguy3978

Elite Member

7/20/13 12:52:51 PM#22
I probably depends on what their contract with EA states concerning exclusivity or not with TOR.  
  Ramanadjinn

Hard Core Member

7/20/13 12:55:39 PM#23
Originally posted by Sifulee
What about if we started a post on kick starter see if we can raise some funds so SOE and Disney to take us for real

SOE and Disney have entire armies of people devoted to figuring out how they can make more money.  

They have very specific data on how many people they feel will buy their games, much more specific than i've seen in this thread i'll wager.  

And as the other fellow pointed out, there may be legal reasons why they could not do it even if they wanted.

flizzer

Hard Core Member

7/20/13 12:58:52 PM#24
Can't you play this on an emulator program. I swear I was watching some guy play this game not long ago. I forget the details , but apparently people are still playing this. 
  Gdemami

Hard Core Member

7/20/13 1:01:37 PM#25

Originally posted by NomadMorlock

If Disney were to re-release SWG as it was pre-CU, would you play?

Yes - 67.3%
No - 32.7%

Based on 55 votes.

349.963 more players to go to at best grab an attention of Disney.

Good luck, OP.

NagelRitter

Apprentice Member

7/20/13 1:01:49 PM#26
Google is your friend.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
Currently playing: GW2, EVE
Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

ste2000

Apprentice Member

7/20/13 1:03:33 PM#27

SWG can't be resurrected until SWTOR shuts down.

As I said many times (even if people seems not to grasp the concept), you cannot have 2 Star Wars MMOs running at the same time, because the Licences generally are exclusive and EA is not going to allow that, until its licence expires.

DMKano

Elite Member

7/20/13 1:07:16 PM#28

Not to crush anyone's hopes but you must consider that the pre-ng code (server, database, authentication) may not be around anymore, not to mention having a staff that would know how to configure the servers and get it all working again.

Same thing happened to Tabula Rasa, NCSoft doesn't have the server code anymore so they can't bring it back even if they wanted to,also the entire server team is gone, so they have no staff that could get the game running period.

So the first thing to do would be to figure out even if it is possible, before getting this effort underway.

achesoma

Apprentice Member

7/20/13 1:08:37 PM#29
Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs
Originally posted by Ramanadjinn
Originally posted by hikaru77
I remember when the game was still alive, forums full of people complaining about the game and dead servers everywhere. But now looks like it was the best MMO ever.  

I know a LOT of people that would often talk about how it was the best game ever made and would occasionally every year or two go back to it.  But they never stayed longer than a few days/weeks.

I too went back once and thought I was having fun for about a month before I remembered why I quit playing it in the first place.  There are those who never left, but those are very few.  Much greater is the number of people who remember fondly a game to which they can never really return -- regardless if there is a server up or not.

The thing is with SWG, it was more the Community that made the game great. The Open World Sandbox style of the game facilitated this.

The game itself was a mess, but if you had a good guild (and good rivals), it kind of made it all ok.

Yeah, people keep choosing to forget that part.  It was a buggy, unbalanced mess.  I felt the CU was a step in the right direction though poorly implemented.  It at least balanced the OP defense stacking templates that could make you virtually  unkillable and greatly toned down the buffs.  I know I'm in the minority but the CU was my favorite version of the 3.  Now the NGE, that's a whole other story lol. 

stragen001

Hard Core Member

Mr Flibble is VERY cross

7/20/13 1:10:30 PM#30

SWG will not reopen. Ever. End of story. Lucasarts(now Disney) gave the exclusive licence for a Star Wars MMO to Bioware/EA for SWTOR.

Even if SWTOR gets shut down, it will be in several years time. 

In several years time SWG will be even more dated than it was when it closed - If anything they might make another Star Wars MMO, but they definitely wont "reopen" SWG. 

/thread

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Amana

MMORPG.COM Staff

7/20/13 2:42:01 PM#31
Guys, don't discuss outside copyright means in here. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact community@mmorpg.com

someforumguy

Advanced Member

7/20/13 2:48:29 PM#32

I would never play a Disney's reintroduction of preCU. It is too bare for a nowadays MMO. Everyone is always bashing postNGE SWG and I totally agree about the introduced class system for example. I also prefer the preCU skillsystem. But there are a lot of features that were added or fleshed out after NGE that preCU could really use and could work with a skillsystem without levels too. I am thinking about:

- the beast mastery system, the engineering part would be a very good scientific addition to the creature handler system

- the more robust weapon and robot crafting

- the POB spacehips and gunships

- content creation system (not just the storytelling stuff)

- city invasions and planetary control system

So a combination of preCU and late added features would create an awesome sandbox imo.

donpopuki

Novice Member

7/20/13 3:57:00 PM#33

Don't talk about the free servers. I just got my post deleted. 

According to MMORPG's Rules of Conduct

• Unofficial Servers
    • Discussing or advertising unofficial servers or emulators for MMOs is not permitted on the MMORPG.com forums. These servers are against the Terms of Service of the original game, and violate the intellectual propriety rights of the game's publisher and developer.
  ZoeMcCloskey

Advanced Member

INTJ, fun is fun except when it's not

7/20/13 4:01:24 PM#34
Pre-Cu and pre-Jedi SWG and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Xthos

Hard Core Member

7/20/13 4:02:56 PM#35
Originally posted by DMKano

Not to crush anyone's hopes but you must consider that the pre-ng code (server, database, authentication) may not be around anymore, not to mention having a staff that would know how to configure the servers and get it all working again.

Same thing happened to Tabula Rasa, NCSoft doesn't have the server code anymore so they can't bring it back even if they wanted to,also the entire server team is gone, so they have no staff that could get the game running period.

So the first thing to do would be to figure out even if it is possible, before getting this effort underway.

SoE said the code is gone, now we know this could be fixed, but supposedly the code is wiped.  People had asked them to bring back pre cu/nge servers before and this was the response.....If it is truthful, I don't know..

The biggest stumbling block would be allowing Disney to bring it back at a fee that SoE feels they can make money on, even if it is enough to push people to buy a station pass or whatever it is called now.

hockeyplayr

Advanced Member

7/20/13 4:38:52 PM#36
I'd play simply to see if it was as great as people say
2 Pages « 1 2 Search