Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Marvel Heroes | World of Warcraft | EverQuest

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,902,102 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,275,053
LucasArts / SOE Austin
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 06/23/03)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars Galaxies Forum » Rumor Room » Community RollBack Now!

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
27 posts found
  Rabia

Novice Member

Not to worry, Master, we are still flying *half* a ship.

OP  12/16/11 4:35:14 PM#1

Community RollBack Now!  SOE should open source SWG so we can roll it back, and then finish the game.

Zarynterk

Novice Member

Do you ever get the feeling youre being watched...

12/16/11 4:37:49 PM#2
Originally posted by Rabia

Community RollBack Now!  SOE should open source SWG so we can roll it back, and then finish the game.

Yeah, good luck with that...

charlespayne

Apprentice Member

12/16/11 4:39:35 PM#3

So i guess you dont know about the SWGemu that has been going for months.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3845509852.png

Rabia

Novice Member

OP  12/16/11 4:41:02 PM#4
Originally posted by charlespayne

Why EMU when SOE Could Give Open Source and release our toons now entombed somewhere....

Loktofeit

Hard Core Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, ArcheAge, and Combat Arms

12/16/11 4:44:00 PM#5

What is the benefit to the company to do that?  Is this an entitlement thing or were you going somewhere with this thought?

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth

Ubermeh

Apprentice Member

Societies collapse will be blogged and twittered along until it's conclusion.

12/16/11 4:46:18 PM#6

I am sure this could happen once some one pays Lucas Arts a bazillion dollars.

Remember SOE owns the code but someone else owns the name.

charlespayne

Apprentice Member

12/16/11 4:47:30 PM#7

The rights belong to lucas not Soe so trying to get them to release a open source, can actully get them sued.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3845509852.png

Rabia

Novice Member

OP  12/16/11 5:37:44 PM#8

The rights belong to lucas not Soe so trying to get them to release a open source, can actully get them sued.

SOE, Lucas, whomever... the code isn't making money now, so why not give it to the public?

Aethaeryn

Hard Core Member

12/16/11 5:45:00 PM#9

you mean years   and years      a n d yeeears :P  

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

alakram

Novice Member

12/16/11 5:48:59 PM#10

Why EMU when SOE Could Give Open Source and release our toons now entombed somewhere....

Last time I did read about it, the emu worked better than the original, but I haven't tried myself.

-=AlaKraM=-
Don't fight against poverty, fight against greed.
My Lord of the Rings Gallery

Ubermeh

Apprentice Member

Societies collapse will be blogged and twittered along until it's conclusion.

12/16/11 7:28:50 PM#11

SOE, Lucas, whomever... the code isn't making money now, so why not give it to the public?

Because companies don't work this way.

SOE will sit on the code for hopes of future profit.

djmtott

Novice Member

12/17/11 10:45:29 PM#12
Originally posted by alakram

Last time I did read about it, the emu worked better than the original, but I haven't tried myself.

This is not true. It still lacks a ton of things that were present in the live game.

For me it's there to fill some sense of nostalgia, but it's not something I would sink all of my free time into.

hipiap

Apprentice Member

Don't Prove Mark Twain correct by opening your mouth and removing Doubt.

12/18/11 8:00:15 PM#13
Originally posted by djmtott

This is not true. It still lacks a ton of things that were present in the live game.

For me it's there to fill some sense of nostalgia, but it's not something I would sink all of my free time into.

They can't agree on what to add there.

They haven't even gotten around to adding in the JTL content with a basic Ship for each faction and the Neutrals.

I know of a Specific group that have taken everything thats on Liberator...and are patching JTL to it for their own version.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

Gerda

Novice Member

7/11/13 7:12:11 PM#14
You should try it now. All kinds of RolePlay going on. And they are getting ready to release JTL.
  whilan

Keeper of the Archives

7/11/13 7:45:19 PM#15

Seeing as EA now owns the rights to make star wars games rather exclusively that means going through EA.

So they have to go through EA to create an open source game for one that already wasn't doing well.  The likiehood EA when looking at cost vs profit wanting to revive a game based on a group of people wanting to play it again vs the histories population issue for said game is almost nothing.  Really all EA is going to see is that the games population died to almost nothing towards the end.

Not to mention EA has to consider what effect that might have on there other game. You'd have to convince EA somehow that they'd want a competiting game from a different company to open when they hold exclusive rights. Unless of course you'd like EA to just go ahead and grab SWG and make it their own to run under their flag. Now while I don't have any personal problem with that, the people who liked SWG (the ones you want it revived for most likely) probably would be extremely opposed to that.

So you pretty much either have a dead SWG or a SWG run by EA, your choice, because one run by SOE isn't going happen.

Help me Bioware, your my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

DeathmachinePT

Novice Member

9/23/13 9:44:16 AM#16
Originally posted by whilan

Seeing as EA now owns the rights to make star wars games rather exclusively that means going through EA.

Lucasarts/disney owns the rights for online games EA only has the right for star wars games that are not online.

"Under the terms of the agreement, EA has the rights to develop and publish Star Wars games, but Disney will retain the rights to also develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet, and online game categories."

Z77 ASROCK OC FORMULA
Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz+H100i
EVGA 660 Super OC
8GB Patriot Viper Extreme Div 2 @2400mhz
SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp

nerovipus32

Novice Member

9/23/13 9:49:48 AM#17

Lucas sold the rights to disney.

Betaguy

Hard Core Member

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

9/23/13 9:52:37 AM#18

Never going to happen.  Even the people currently doing so have hit a brick wall and don't have the heart to tell the large community of followers they can't finish it.  They like to collect all your monies and don't want to lose that nest egg.

DeathmachinePT

Novice Member

9/23/13 10:15:04 AM#19
Originally posted by Betaguy

Never going to happen.  Even the people currently doing so have hit a brick wall and don't have the heart to tell the large community of followers they can't finish it.  They like to collect all your monies and don't want to lose that nest egg.

We have SWGemu that's pretty much what he is asking and it will better soon there will be more private servers with awesome mods :)

I doubt I will ever give more money to SOE or subscribe to other of their games but I remember the last days of SWG they polling or asking if players would be interested in playing a new SOE game(think they said similar to SWG)(no idea if this was EQ next a new sci fi or a new SWG game)

But the fact I lost 8 years of virtual goods and time on that game really pisses me on commiting to any of their new games would be great if they would have given all my game data so I could upload on a future SWGEmu server or something similar :(

Z77 ASROCK OC FORMULA
Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz+H100i
EVGA 660 Super OC
8GB Patriot Viper Extreme Div 2 @2400mhz
SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp

Distopia

Drifter

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

9/23/13 10:30:55 AM#20
Originally posted by hipiap
Originally posted by djmtott

They can't agree on what to add there.

They haven't even gotten around to adding in the JTL content with a basic Ship for each faction and the Neutrals.

I know of a Specific group that have taken everything thats on Liberator...and are patching JTL to it for their own version.

IF you're talking about who I think you are I've been meaning to check that out.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

2 Pages 1 2 » Search