Trending Games | ArcheAge | Pirate101 | Wasteland 2 | Elder Scrolls Online

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,213 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,245,859
LucasArts / SOE Austin
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 06/23/03)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars Galaxies Forum » General Discussion » With Disney buyiing SW....any chance of resurrection?

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
149 posts found
  erictlewis

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/08/08
Posts: 3058

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

3/10/13 6:42:35 PM#21

they cant resurect it as far as I know soe deleted the server side source code. 

 

  FromHell

Novice Member

Joined: 11/10/12
Posts: 1338

3/10/13 6:46:27 PM#22
Originally posted by erictlewis

they cant resurect it as far as I know soe deleted the server side source code. 

 

they just need a new 10 year licence and 100,000,000$ and the world would finally get the Star Wars MMO it deserves

Secrets of Dragon´s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s
.


.
The Return of ELITE !

  echolynfan

Novice Member

Joined: 1/26/10
Posts: 721

I ain't got a gat but I gotta soldering gun

3/10/13 6:49:43 PM#23
Originally posted by FromHell
Originally posted by echolynfan

IF it were to be ressurrected the only way it would work would be to completely overhaul the game engine/mechanics while keeping the basic content intact. No company (IMO) would invest in a previously failed game and bringing back the original game would be out of the question.

The only possibility I see remotely happening is SOE re-introducing the game as it was and changing a few things: number of characters per account would have to be increased and/or it woulld have to be F2P.

I loved SWG - the only true MMO in my gaming life :)

No. For that we have the fan project.

I want nothing less than Star Wars Galaxies "Next" from SOE, like they are doing Everquest Next.

I want Star Wars in their amazing Forgelight engine, not a half finished Alpha engine like SWTOR has

I want a Star Wars MMO which looks like Star Wars, not like a cartoon sci fi version of WoW

 

Help us Disney, you are our last hope, go talk to SOE

I'm aware of the fan project but it's only good if you have the original discs so that doesn't bode well for new players.

The new upcoming movie (if done well and I do believe with J.J. Abrans at the helm it will) will spawn a re-interest in the franchise which MAY help but that's a big IF.

Complex games like SWG are unfortunately being swept aside in favor of shallow games designed now for mobile apps - iPad...etc. 

Currently playing as Pete Puma on Excalibur. FF ARR - The best MMO I've played since SWG!

  FromHell

Novice Member

Joined: 11/10/12
Posts: 1338

4/03/13 7:35:48 AM#24
Originally posted by echolynfan
Originally posted by FromHell
Originally posted by echolynfan

IF it were to be ressurrected the only way it would work would be to completely overhaul the game engine/mechanics while keeping the basic content intact. No company (IMO) would invest in a previously failed game and bringing back the original game would be out of the question.

The only possibility I see remotely happening is SOE re-introducing the game as it was and changing a few things: number of characters per account would have to be increased and/or it woulld have to be F2P.

I loved SWG - the only true MMO in my gaming life :)

No. For that we have the fan project.

I want nothing less than Star Wars Galaxies "Next" from SOE, like they are doing Everquest Next.

I want Star Wars in their amazing Forgelight engine, not a half finished Alpha engine like SWTOR has

I want a Star Wars MMO which looks like Star Wars, not like a cartoon sci fi version of WoW

 

Help us Disney, you are our last hope, go talk to SOE

I'm aware of the fan project but it's only good if you have the original discs so that doesn't bode well for new players.

The new upcoming movie (if done well and I do believe with J.J. Abrans at the helm it will) will spawn a re-interest in the franchise which MAY help but that's a big IF.

Complex games like SWG are unfortunately being swept aside in favor of shallow games designed now for mobile apps - iPad...etc. 

Disney just needs to act and give SOE a license to the IP.

Every SWG hater continues to say that TOR is not supposed to be SWG2, then there would be no competition between these two titles anyway!

Secrets of Dragon´s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s
.


.
The Return of ELITE !

  ignore_me

Apprentice Member

Joined: 7/04/11
Posts: 2034

4/03/13 9:33:08 AM#25
Originally posted by FromHell
Originally posted by echolynfan
Originally posted by FromHell
Originally posted by echolynfan

IF it were to be ressurrected the only way it would work would be to completely overhaul the game engine/mechanics while keeping the basic content intact. No company (IMO) would invest in a previously failed game and bringing back the original game would be out of the question.

The only possibility I see remotely happening is SOE re-introducing the game as it was and changing a few things: number of characters per account would have to be increased and/or it woulld have to be F2P.

I loved SWG - the only true MMO in my gaming life :)

No. For that we have the fan project.

I want nothing less than Star Wars Galaxies "Next" from SOE, like they are doing Everquest Next.

I want Star Wars in their amazing Forgelight engine, not a half finished Alpha engine like SWTOR has

I want a Star Wars MMO which looks like Star Wars, not like a cartoon sci fi version of WoW

 

Help us Disney, you are our last hope, go talk to SOE

I'm aware of the fan project but it's only good if you have the original discs so that doesn't bode well for new players.

The new upcoming movie (if done well and I do believe with J.J. Abrans at the helm it will) will spawn a re-interest in the franchise which MAY help but that's a big IF.

Complex games like SWG are unfortunately being swept aside in favor of shallow games designed now for mobile apps - iPad...etc. 

Disney just needs to act and give SOE a license to the IP.

Every SWG hater continues to say that TOR is not supposed to be SWG2, then there would be no competition between these two titles anyway!

If they did that SWTOR would die. Any alongside comparison to another SW MMO would quickly reveal the terrible and legion flaws of SWTOR, even to the drones.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

  Caldrin

Advanced Member

Joined: 10/02/04
Posts: 4142

4/03/13 9:36:48 AM#26
Originally posted by echolynfan

Complex games like SWG are unfortunately being swept aside in favor of shallow games designed now for mobile apps - iPad...etc. 

Only by AAA companies...

Us gamers have got lucky and kickstarter is now available for devs to make games they want to make not waht the AAA publisher wants them to make.

I expect to see a lot more complex games popping up over the next few years.. Soon AAA companies will realise we dont all want dumbed down versions of last years games..

 

Im am pretty sure the furture of gaming will be a lot better than the last few years.

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

  Squeak69

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/21/13
Posts: 966

cheese cheese wheres da bloody cheese

4/03/13 9:37:13 AM#27
i was under the impression that Disney bought star wars a year or two ago, am i wrong or is there some reason to think of SWG now ?

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used to
Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

  MindTrigger

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/19/07
Posts: 2628

4/03/13 9:41:11 AM#28
I wouldn't expect Disney to get into the sandbox MMO market anytime soon, unless of course the industry as a whole shifts that direction.  Disney is all about accessibility though, so any game they make will likely be targeted towards a youth / teen market, where SWG was always a bit more "grown up", even if only by accident.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

  WhiteLantern

Novice Member

Joined: 1/27/10
Posts: 2779

4/03/13 9:45:40 AM#29

I recently read a research paper which conluded that holding ones breath actually helps generate a desired outcome. So, if all of the SWG "vets" would simultaneously hold their breath until this happens, I'm sure you'll have the game you seek in no time.

 

Give it a shot, please.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

  superniceguy

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/17/07
Posts: 2277

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

4/03/13 9:47:34 AM#30
Originally posted by MindTrigger
I wouldn't expect Disney to get into the sandbox MMO market anytime soon, unless of course the industry as a whole shifts that direction.  Disney is all about accessibility though, so any game they make will likely be targeted towards a youth / teen market, where SWG was always a bit more "grown up", even if only by accident.

As far as Disney are concerned they said that they are just focussing on mobile devices, but will let other companies create games with their IP for console / PC, so it will be whatever other companies want to do.

  Squeak69

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/21/13
Posts: 966

cheese cheese wheres da bloody cheese

4/03/13 9:48:52 AM#31
Originally posted by WhiteLantern

I recently read a research paper which conluded that holding ones breath actually helps generate a desired outcome. So, if all of the SWG "vets" would simultaneously hold their breath until this happens, I'm sure you'll have the game you seek in no time.

 

Give it a shot, please.

here is a better idea, if you dont like the fact that people want a game they loved back, then dont go into threads about it and read it. this way we dont have to listen yo your stupidity and you dont have to listen to us haveing our hopes no matter how small.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used to
Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

  hikaru77

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/28/07
Posts: 967

4/03/13 9:48:55 AM#32
It wont happen. Probably they will put more money on swtor, or PS4 games.  
  Slampig

Hard Core Member

Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 2393

Whatever you do, do NOT speak ill of Asheron's Call 2...

4/03/13 9:49:20 AM#33

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

  SirBalin

Warmonger

Joined: 11/22/06
Posts: 1070

4/03/13 9:51:26 AM#34
Originally posted by Silky303
?

Most large scale companies are scared to take a chance with a sandbox game, that's why we see so many fail sandboxes, they are launched by fly by night companies.  Theme parks bore me...but they are a sure buck for developers...that said, I'd love to see a massive SW sandbox, but I don't expect it.

Incognito
www.incognito-gaming.us
"You're either with us or against us"

  MindTrigger

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/19/07
Posts: 2628

4/03/13 9:53:56 AM#35
Originally posted by superniceguy
Originally posted by MindTrigger
I wouldn't expect Disney to get into the sandbox MMO market anytime soon, unless of course the industry as a whole shifts that direction.  Disney is all about accessibility though, so any game they make will likely be targeted towards a youth / teen market, where SWG was always a bit more "grown up", even if only by accident.

As far as Disney are concerned they said that they are just focussing on mobile devices, but will let other companies create games with their IP for console / PC, so it will be whatever other companies want to do.

It will be whatever other companies want to do with Disney looking over their shoulder and telling them what not to do.  I don't know if you are aware of this, but Disney is notorious for being ridiculously strict with their IP licensing. 

I'd love to be wrong on this one, but if anything, having Disney own Star Wars is probably a negative for the gaming market, especially MMOs.  Thought it is hard to imagine someone screwing up as hard as Bioware did with TOR.  What we should all pray for is a quick sunset of TOR so someone else has a shot in the next 5+ years.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

  superniceguy

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/17/07
Posts: 2277

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

4/03/13 9:55:18 AM#36
Originally posted by SirBalin
Originally posted by Silky303
?

Most large scale companies are scared to take a chance with a sandbox game, that's why we see so many fail sandboxes, they are launched by fly by night companies.  Theme parks bore me...but they are a sure buck for developers...that said, I'd love to see a massive SW sandbox, but I don't expect it.

Smed is our only hope, with EQ Next. If that turns out to be the "biggest Sandbox MMO" as he says and turns into the #1 MMO, then we should see many sandbox games coming out left right and center

  ignore_me

Apprentice Member

Joined: 7/04/11
Posts: 2034

4/03/13 9:55:19 AM#37
Originally posted by hikaru77
It wont happen. Probably they will put more money on swtor, or PS4 games.  

Well it depends on if they buy the line coming out of Bioware these days (2nd largest Western MMO according to Ohlen), or at least think that the public buys that. It would be a mistake for them to put money into SWTOR, I could see them just letting it run though.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

  Havekk

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/14/08
Posts: 1369

4/03/13 9:56:55 AM#38
Originally posted by Xobdnas

I see nothing but continued darkness in the future for SWG, but fear not, there is another, her name is Camelot Unchained.

How does Camelot Unchained have anything to do with Star Wars? Also, isn't that game due out in 2015?

  ignore_me

Apprentice Member

Joined: 7/04/11
Posts: 2034

4/03/13 9:58:01 AM#39
Originally posted by WhiteLantern

I recently read a research paper which conluded that holding ones breath actually helps generate a desired outcome. So, if all of the SWG "vets" would simultaneously hold their breath until this happens, I'm sure you'll have the game you seek in no time.

 

Give it a shot, please.

You are witnessing the power of the martyr. Feel free to beat your head against this wall if you want, but the powerful love of a greater former over a stupid replacement is significant.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

  Havekk

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/14/08
Posts: 1369

4/03/13 9:58:18 AM#40
Originally posted by superniceguy
Originally posted by SirBalin
Originally posted by Silky303
?

Most large scale companies are scared to take a chance with a sandbox game, that's why we see so many fail sandboxes, they are launched by fly by night companies.  Theme parks bore me...but they are a sure buck for developers...that said, I'd love to see a massive SW sandbox, but I don't expect it.

Smed is our only hope, with EQ Next. If that turns out to be the "biggest Sandbox MMO" as he says and turns into the #1 MMO, then we should see many sandbox games coming out left right and center

I am resting a lot of hope into EQ Next. I really hope it turns out well. 

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search