Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Shards | World of Warcraft | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,490 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,294,675
LucasArts / SOE Austin
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 06/23/03)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars Galaxies Forum » General Discussion » Poll: Does this prove SWG was the better game?

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 Search
94 posts found
  Dauzqul

Spotlight Poster

12/26/12 12:23:25 AM#81
Originally posted by MMOExposed
Originally posted by Xobdnas

Title says it all. SWTOR killed 8 years of memories because it was greedy, and it couldn't last more than 8 months, just sad. If they made the themepark/sandbox hybrid we all asked for instead of VO without gameplay we would all be talking about how WOW is going FTP.

I voted No.

Why?

because SWTOR was overhyped by the community, not developers. And many people got this game for the wrong reasons (nothing gameplay related)

This is why this game seem like fail to the masses.

SWTOR had more ads than than player spacebar hits.

People were hyped because SWTOr marketed the heck out of it.

kb056

Apprentice Member

12/29/12 12:56:03 AM#82
Originally posted by MMOExposed
Originally posted by Xobdnas

Title says it all. SWTOR killed 8 years of memories because it was greedy, and it couldn't last more than 8 months, just sad. If they made the themepark/sandbox hybrid we all asked for instead of VO without gameplay we would all be talking about how WOW is going FTP.

I voted No.

Why?

because SWTOR was overhyped by the community, not developers. And many people got this game for the wrong reasons (nothing gameplay related)

This is why this game seem like fail to the masses.

SWTOR failed because it was a broken concept from the start.

Cody1174

Novice Member

12/29/12 1:01:01 AM#83
Simple question,  is it a better game.... No one asked if it was overhyped. You voted no because it was overhyped which was not the question.
  Orthus.Aku

Novice Member

1/17/13 4:36:13 PM#84
I vote no, not because it is failing or because swg failed but that both games are targets to different groups of people and really its hard to truely say which is better when they are at heart different games. I love swg and I like swtor but I play them both for different reasons and do think both should have co-existed in the market.
  ktanner3

Master

Trolls will be ignored

1/18/13 12:54:30 PM#85
Originally posted by Orthus.Aku
I vote no, not because it is failing or because swg failed but that both games are targets to different groups of people and really its hard to truely say which is better when they are at heart different games. I love swg and I like swtor but I play them both for different reasons and do think both should have co-existed in the market.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that was able to enjoy both games. The original SWG was a sandbox game while TOR is a role playing game.Even the time periods for both games were different. Take the Star Wars brand off of them and there's nothing left to compare the two with. 

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

kobie173

Novice Member

2/05/13 11:25:14 PM#86
Originally posted by superniceguy

They have virtually given up on the game, and there is no new content coming, other than what has been known for ages.

Wrong. Again.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

AutemOx

Novice Member

2/06/13 12:34:24 AM#87

I put yes but the clear answer is this:

SWTOR was always meant to go free to play.  When I frst started reading about it I could read between the lines what they were doing with this game.  They wanted to get a lot of players in off the bat, give them a single player experience that people outside of multiplayer games would enjoy.  But they lacked any end game vision or social aspects to the game to keep people around, so the subscription numbers would inevitably drop.  They are OK with this.  They transition into F2P model a year in or so while the game still looks good and get another influx of players.  Push more junk and try to squeeze money out for another year and then stick it on life support until its not profitable month to month.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

Distopia

Drifter

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

2/06/13 12:43:13 AM#88
An answer to this would greatly depend on your gaming preference. Personally I can't think of many games that were "better" than SWG. The only games that come close to it's level of freedom are EVE, UO or TES titles IMO. I still enjoy playing through TOR's story segments though.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

superniceguy

Novice Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

2/06/13 7:41:08 AM#89
Originally posted by kobie173

They have virtually given up on the game, and there is no new content coming, other than what has been known for ages.

Wrong. Again.

Nope actually. Although I suppose it was a bit premature to say that on 31st July 2012 when I posted that, but what I said there stands more true today than back then.

Everything that has been put in and is still coming has already been written before the game launched. EA mentioned Makeb in June and stated it had been in the works beforehand "So, Makeb was something we planned much earlier and we had to go through all the writing and then voice work" - James Ohlen as at June 2012. SGR was definately in the works before launch and that was mentioned Sep 2011

They have practically given up on the game, as it is no bringing in enough revenue, and do not have enough devs to work on new content, and spreading out content that is already done. Makeb should have been in before the end of 2012 but now not until Spring/June 2013

The only possible new thing is the Reputation system, but 1) That was not known when I posted that comment and 2) Chances are it was one of the features that planned to be put in at launch and got cut out by Dallas Dickinson

I have plenty of evidence to back up what I said, do you have any evidence to back up your claims that I am wrong?

Jimmy562

Hard Core Member

2/06/13 7:48:29 AM#90

Wrong. Again.

Nope actually. Although I suppose it was a bit premature to say that on 31st July 2012 when I posted that, but what I said there stands more true today than back then.

Everything that has been put in and is still coming has already been written before the game launched. EA mentioned Makeb in June and stated it had been in the works beforehand "So, Makeb was something we planned much earlier and we had to go through all the writing and then voice work" - James Ohlen as at June 2012. SGR was definately in the works before launch and that was mentioned Sep 2011

They have practically given up on the game, as it is no bringing in enough revenue, and do not have enough devs to work on new content, and spreading out content that is already done. Makeb should have been in before the end of 2012 but now not until Spring/June 2013

The only possible new thing is the Reputation system, but 1) That was not known when I posted that comment and 2) Chances are it was one of the features that planned to be put in at launch and got cut out by Dallas Dickinson

I have plenty of evidence to back up what I said, do you have any evidence to back up your claims that I am wrong?

Unless you work for the company you have no idea what is being planned. The evidence you have is that they have been working on this content for a long time. You have nothing on whether or not new content is coming. 

superniceguy

Novice Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

2/06/13 7:55:06 AM#91
Originally posted by Jimmy562

Wrong. Again.

Unless you work for the company you have no idea what is being planned. The evidence you have is that they have been working on this content for a long time. You have nothing on whether or not new content is coming. 

Exactly why I can not be wrong

They announced Makeb in June 2012 and said they have been working on it before as linked to, and SGR was announced Sep 2011. So if these are not yet in game then I do not see them putting time in creating more new stuff.

Since June 2012, when Makeb was mentioned, Perfect World for STO, put in Season 6, andn then Season 7 was announced and put in which included a new planet and quests, and they have now announced Season 8 and Season 9 for 2013.

If they had new stuff coming, they would announce it, but they have not, and existing content is just getting longer and longer to get in.

kobie173

Novice Member

3/13/13 12:27:17 AM#92

If they had new stuff coming, they would announce it, but they have not, and existing content is just getting longer and longer to get in.

So, in other words, you can just pull stuff out of your ass with impunity?

You have zero evidence that nothing new is coming. None whatsoever. Just wishful conjecture.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

ignore_me

Apprentice Member

3/13/13 3:28:12 AM#93

So, in other words, you can just pull stuff out of your ass with impunity?

You have zero evidence that nothing new is coming. None whatsoever. Just wishful conjecture.

Well what magically fantastic content do you think is coming? Cause I will bet you it is pretty much fuck all. These guys slaved for over a year and are still getting the bugs out of ready check! Ready Check for fuck's sakes!

SWTOR was already the moped of MMO's, and when they went F2P they ran out of gas for the tiny engine.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

MysteryB

Apprentice Member

Love Gives You Courage
Being Loved Gives You Strength

3/13/13 3:46:26 AM#94
Yes in my honest opinion Star Wars Galaxies was the better game, The Old Republic is to much like WoW, space combat isnt fun at all, combat is fun but its a copy of every other MMO, only thing the game has is a good voice-over cast really, and some fun pvp but SWG was one of the only games to allow almost complete player control. I dont know why good games have to die, City of Heroes is another game that didnt deserve death.....come on Disney buy our games and reopen them!

Mystery Bounty

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 Search