Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Swordsman | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,774,708 Users Online:0
Games:721  Posts:6,189,008
LucasArts / SOE Austin
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 06/23/03)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.95 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars Galaxies Forum » SWG Veteran Refuge » What was so good with PRE-CU?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
47 posts found
  Martiander

Novice Member

9/24/12 8:25:28 AM#41

Hm ..

For me the old SWG ( that includes the CU ) was a true marvellous space.

I never ever met a game that manage to blend social and adventure activities so well like SWG

There was always a barter, always a hunt for ressources, always something that could be done and gave you some sort of meaningful reward.

Well there where downsides too.

Some thing never where completed and therefore buggy as hell.

BUT, for some odd reasons, you cursed about it an then ... you did it again, and again .. and ... in the summary it was fun.

I remember the bountyhunter missions that lead to nowhere, cause your bounty was INSIDE the world and couldnt be reached, or the guy you had to get was simply not at the place after you hunted him from planet to planet.

I dont know .. anyhow doing many different things that actually meant something was a bit more rewarding then todays MMORPGs .. Well to make a note .. They WHERE called MMORPGs back then and actually tried to fulfill that role.

Anyway i have a lot of fond memorys from the old SWG.

I remember some events in an cantina that where so much fun.. Never saw something like this till today

LoverNoFighter

Novice Member

SWG pre cu > all

9/25/12 8:16:00 AM#42
SWG pre cu - you don't know what you got 'til it's gone.
  Yanshee

Novice Member

9/25/12 9:02:26 AM#43

To play jedi in PreCU you truely had to have a large pair of e-peen nads. All the work it took to get  through the profession grind and finally unlock the village could all be taken away by a bounty hunter at any time in what was usually an epic battle.

Damn what fun that was on either side of the fight.

Demandman

Novice Member

9/25/12 9:47:58 AM#44

I played through pre-CU, and probably just as much on emulators as on live. Not going to elaborate on why it was good, as everyone else will do that... but It's important to note that the game was on a path of self-destruction. I suggest you browse through SWG pages spanning from late 2003 to early 2005 here on mmorpg.com, and you'll see that the consensus back then was close to that of a crisis. 

It wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

Yanshee

Novice Member

9/30/12 6:40:48 AM#45
Well even in it's 'worst days', it was far better than any of the crap that's been offered up since.
  Muke

Hard Core Member

9/30/12 6:50:58 AM#46

you asked the pros....

for me:

1) I wasn't known then with the way SOE treated their paying customers

2) game had a healthy population

3) sandbox

4) too much to explore with exciting new players, not aware yet of the beta state and lacking content the game had.

in short: I was a swg noob having fun.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

IG-88

Novice Member

OP  10/01/12 1:27:40 PM#47

Ok, this guys pretty much answered my initial question, starting at about 47 min. into the video.

At any rate it describes a strategic mistake leading to grinding jedi, loosing subs and the need for a change.

http://www.raphkoster.com/2012/09/17/ogda-meeting/#more-4248

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search