Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,397 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,210
Sony Online Entertainment | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 11/20/12)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

PlanetSide 2 Forum » General Discussion » Planetside 2 is NOT pay to win! Get it through your heads!

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
53 posts found
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/16/12 6:31:34 PM#21
Most importantly looking at the post history of those Trolling ps2

If ps2 is pay to win then so is gw2
  Enerzeal

Spotlight Poster

There is no good or evil, only power - and those too weak to seek it.

OP  12/16/12 7:58:10 PM#22
Originally posted by ShakyMo

Flawless Victory.

joeballs

Novice Member

12/16/12 8:04:30 PM#23
PS2 is absolutely not p2w. I can be just as powerful as anyone else in the game without spending a dime. Best f2p model I've seen yet.
  aRtFuLThinG

Novice Member

12/16/12 8:56:20 PM#24
Originally posted by ShakyMo

Yeah you are right I think. Seems quite a few of those same people who are trolling ps2 are the very same who troll gw2.

I guess they want to play for free, but also want to look good in game as well, and thinks those items that looks good are also OP (which in fact is the same shit but different setup).

I guess they don't realise SOE is a business and thought they are bittorrent hosters, lol

Robokapp

Hard Core Member

The only luck I had today was to have you as my opponent.

12/16/12 9:01:50 PM#25
maybe it's not pay to win, but how expensive is it to enjoy? that's what I care about...

Dobeyxxl

Novice Member

12/16/12 9:09:26 PM#26
Originally posted by joeballs
PS2 is absolutely not p2w. I can be just as powerful as anyone else in the game without spending a dime. Best f2p model I've seen yet.

As children our mothers told many of us that we could be anything that we want to be, lol. Well perhaps some still believe the fairytale but most people grow up and learn to understand how the world really works.

In theory a free player in Planetside 2 can earn all the perks that a pay to win player does but only with 100% MORE WORK.

Truth be told Sony as of right now enables cash shop players to buy 50% xp and resource boosts and enables them to stack them with their subscription boosts resulting in a 100% boost.

Truth be told upgrading is essential for all classes and especially for vehicles and aircraft .

Where I come from a 100% boost to rewards sure does sound like pay to win to me, its not like Sony is just selling cosmetic items in their cash shop. They are selling performance items also.

Sadly this isn't even the biggest problem the game has right now , the hacking is.

bcbully

Elite Member

12/16/12 9:13:31 PM#27
Originally posted by Robokapp
maybe it's not pay to win, but how expensive is it to enjoy? that's what I care about...

Shouldn't cost you a dime to enjoy. I've spent about $40 and still can't kill anyone 1v1 within 20 meters. ...(I'm blaming it on my naga going bad...) unless I'm in my lightning. In all honesty, only 2 of the weapons I've bought have been worth imo. 

There is no magic weapon for sale... 

Goll25

Novice Member

12/16/12 9:15:03 PM#28
Not sure it even could be considering the way it's played (fps). Maybe pay 2 make more convienant or improve longevity. Not so much "win"
  rodingo

Elite Member

12/16/12 9:27:37 PM#29
Originally posted by Robokapp

There is only one way to find out. If you don't enjoy, then guess what? Yep, you know the answer.  Besides, how much did you have to pay even to play a subscription game (yes about $15 a month plus box price)?  I'm not saying a you should spend about $15 a month to get enjoyment out of PS2, however I AM saying that you probably won't have to hardly spend anything at all unless you want to.

Self testimony time:  I have spent $0 becuase I actually prefer the untility of the default weapons.  Cosmetics are not worth spending becuase camo patterns don't actually work as camo patterns.  I can kill someone wearing a snow pattern camo on snowy terrain just as easily as the guy wearing urban camo, and I'm not left impressed or envious of what they were wearing as they died to my hand.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

NeokiNaomi

Advanced Member

In der ruhe kommt die kraft.

12/16/12 10:47:22 PM#30

I agree, all this P2W whining crap is annoying to see. The game is not P2W, it is quite literally F2P, imo the first F2P that is truly FREE to play. You have the same chances just as a sub does or dude that bought 10K station cash worth of crap. In the end it's all about tactical knowledge and placement.

TwitchTV:NeokiLIVE

thinktank001

Advanced Member

12/16/12 10:53:08 PM#31
Originally posted by Enerzeal

Medic class, TR, initial gun, T1 Cycler - best Medic gun.

Upgrade it through certifications, not purchased through the store - you cannot buy cert points. A membership of £9 or about $14.99, will grant you a 25% bonus to certificate gains. You can buy boosts, but the membership also gives 500 station cash which can buy you about 10 days worth of exp bonus. However the counter on the boosts continues while logged off, so the bonuses are very small.

The guns are ALL sidegrades, take the infiltrator class, the snipers come in three grades, the close, medium, and long range. The long range snipers are bolt actions or semi autos, which SUCK up close. The close range is the scout rifles which are much more effective at close range but TERRIBLE at long range.

Everything in this game, every gun, every cert comes with an upside and a downside. Buy a 2 shot burst rifle for the medic class? Lose out on your CQC possibilities. Cert it with a supresser? Lose out on long range shots.

If you believe that the game is pay to win you simply haven't played it enough yet, you don't understand it, or you have a bee in your bonnet about free to play in general.

Just a last note, I have free to play, because most stores are cons, most involve some kind of pay to win, Planetside 2 at most could be called a pay to progress faster game.

If a game has a cash shop it is P2W.   This is a business model that is built on allowing players to advance their characters from microtransactions.   It doesn't have anything to do with your opinion on "fairness". 

rodingo

Elite Member

12/16/12 11:03:52 PM#32
Originally posted by thinktank001

Upgrade it through certifications, not purchased through the store - you cannot buy cert points. A membership of £9 or about $14.99, will grant you a 25% bonus to certificate gains. You can buy boosts, but the membership also gives 500 station cash which can buy you about 10 days worth of exp bonus. However the counter on the boosts continues while logged off, so the bonuses are very small.

The guns are ALL sidegrades, take the infiltrator class, the snipers come in three grades, the close, medium, and long range. The long range snipers are bolt actions or semi autos, which SUCK up close. The close range is the scout rifles which are much more effective at close range but TERRIBLE at long range.

Everything in this game, every gun, every cert comes with an upside and a downside. Buy a 2 shot burst rifle for the medic class? Lose out on your CQC possibilities. Cert it with a supresser? Lose out on long range shots.

If you believe that the game is pay to win you simply haven't played it enough yet, you don't understand it, or you have a bee in your bonnet about free to play in general.

Just a last note, I have free to play, because most stores are cons, most involve some kind of pay to win, Planetside 2 at most could be called a pay to progress faster game.

If a game has a cash shop it is P2W.   This is a business model that is built on allowing players to advance their characters from microtransactions.   It doesn't have anything to do with your opinion on "fairness". 

Ironic, isn't it?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Nightgroper

Apprentice Member

12/16/12 11:09:16 PM#33
Originally posted by Dysmetria
In my experience, P2W is the excuse those that do not pay and lose use. 

Hahahaha. No. Exteel.  Most of the pay items in that game, and you were able to get atleast double the amount of kills, and last twice as long as someone who did not pay. So no.

Second, the pay to earn certs  faster is a bit more of a problem, but it's less so also.  It allows players to get better weapons faster to get better kills, which can kill the enthusiasm of a player that does not pay, since then it's less rewarding to play,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DT-PWfIQOE

8:00 mins in shows the difference in acquisition rate, and the rate is quite ridiculous.

Also why should I pay for this game, which basically took any spunkgargleweewee game's multiplayer and just made it bigger?

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

Rayshe

Novice Member

12/16/12 11:11:00 PM#34

Erm, No sorry doesnt work. TSW is Definately not P2W but does indeed has a cash shop. With the new changes even if we can level faster we still wont be progressing at all. since Gathering Skills doesn't equal Progression (other than to a fancy new outfit). So long as it doesn't give you a advantage its not P2W. A fancy Purple shirt doesnt give you a advantage in battle.

Because i can.
I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
Logic every gamers worst enemy.

f0dell54

Novice Member

Sanity....
It's for the weak.

12/16/12 11:23:25 PM#35

Hell, even WoW has a cash shop. You can buy nice shinny pets and mounts. Doesn't make it P2W. This is probably one of dumber posts I've seen on here in a while. Thanks for the laugh sir.

Rhoklaw

Elite Member

$500 Backer to 2015's Top New MMO... The Repopulation!

12/17/12 1:28:38 AM#36

PS2 is in fact a pay to win MMOFPS, but not because of the cash shop, but rather people who pay for 3rd party programs to cheat their way to an easier gameplay. Weapons for sale by SOE's cash shop are not the problem. The true culprit to this games inevitable demise is of course, cheaters. Happens in every single FPS game to hit the market. APB has it, BF3 has it and so did PS1. You can have every cert in the game with the best weapons and I guarantee you, some jackass who spent $30 on some cheats will mop the floor with your cash shop sweetheart.

Aimbot + ESP Radar cheaters > Cash Shop legit players

End of story

EDIT: Speaking of cheats, apparently now there's a cheat where either anyone can rezz or medics can rezz themselves. Figure that one out and you get a cookie.

Greyflame11

Novice Member

12/17/12 1:54:02 AM#37

I've spent some money upgrading weapons... if this game was truely P2W then why don't I win every time?  Guess maybe it isn't quite pay to win.

Also, I play on a second account from time to time... one I have not spent a cent... and I still win at times there...  hmmm....  I gotta think through the P2W logic a bit more...

XxGrimmxX

Advanced Member

12/17/12 1:55:33 AM#38
Dunno what sniper class you are playing and how you are playing it but the best sniper is definitely a pain in the ass to get and is by no means a side-upgrade. People..
  XxGrimmxX

Advanced Member

12/17/12 1:56:33 AM#39
Originally posted by Greyflame11

I've spent some money upgrading weapons... if this game was truely P2W then why don't I win every time?  Guess maybe it isn't quite pay to win.

That has got to be the stupidest thing I've read in awhile. Congratulations.

njai

Novice Member

12/17/12 2:03:34 AM#40

PS2 and LoL use a very similar system.

Both have boosts.

Substitute "OP" guns with OP champs.

Substitue helms, armors, camos and decals for skins.

Anyone that tells me League of Legends is play 2 win is a moron.

Darkfall for now.

Quit bashing games YOU don't like! Including WoW, you know you liked it before you got burned out.

http://live.xbox.com/member/Njai

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search