Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic | WildStar | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,644,609 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,078,419
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 11/20/12)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

PlanetSide 2 Forum » General Discussion » Planetside 2 gets a 90 from pcgamer.com

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
22 posts found
  tank017

Novice Member

12/01/12 1:20:48 PM#21

I agree with the score..

PS2 is a solid mmo,and a fine predecessor to PS1..

It does what its supposed to do,bring the feeling of full on war.It also brings a helluva lot of fun too.

The game is only going to get better as well.

Deivos

Elite Member

Iarð skal rifna, ok upphiminn.

12/01/12 1:42:51 PM#22
Originally posted by SpottyGekko

PS was better than PS2 ?

At launch ?

Or after the first 3 years ?

Or currently, after 9 years or so of additions ?

Dunno about them, but for me there's a few fundamental aspects that I prefer from PS1.

First, I liked how flying around felt more in PS1. I like that the vehicle control is more physics driven in PS2, but I do not like the change in control of the vehicles. Piloting the ships now feels considerably more akwward to try strafing in, something I enjoyed greatly in PS1 because I would often swoop low to the groung and dodge trees while gunning footsoldiers down in my mosquito. That's something I simply can't do in PS2 because the ships no longer fly that way. I have to roll my ship in order to get it to turn fast enough, at which point I can no longer keep my ain on the enemies and it defeats the purpose of flying that low in the first place.

Second, I liked that the MAX suits had a stronger functional distinction from one another in PS1. Now they posess visual flavor more than anything else. There's no overarmor, anchors, or jumpjets to make them play with differing tacics. the asymmetry of the factions just feels like it was reduced overall to make balance easier at the cost of interest and novelty.

Third, inventory. I know there's a lot of players that likely don't want to do inventory management in the middle of a shooter, but I found that system to lend alot to the personalization of a character especially when combined with...

Fourth, certifications. I personally preferred the way the original PS did certifications overall a bit more. The fact there's equipment functionally locked and separated form one another annoys me about PS2. I would much rather have a system like the original game where I can gain access to all the abilities and gear as a massive pool like PS1 does, and then turn around to buy specializing aspects within them similar to how PS2 does.

These are all aspects that were present since the release of Planetside 1 that I find make me prefer it somewhat more.

If they had retained a greater degree of the original game, improved the shooting mechanics and physics for weaponsvehicles without fundamentally changing how you interact with those things, and applied the differences they made in skills/progression as a deeper function of the certification system a lot of these issues I feel could have been alleviated for me.

EDIT: To note though. I still love Planetside 2 and think it's a pretty well executed game.

I just love what went into Planetside more.

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero. - Vaarsuvius

2 Pages « 1 2 Search