Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Landmark | Villagers and Heroes | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,032 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,657
Sony Online Entertainment | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 11/20/12)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

PlanetSide 2 Forum » General Discussion » Bait and Switch - Why PS2 doesn't deserve that name.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
44 posts found
  h0urg1ass

Apprentice Member

OP  4/17/13 6:10:17 PM#41
Originally posted by aesperus

I'm confused at what part of the OPs criticisms makes this game a bait and switch?

I explained perfectly well why it's a bait and switch.  This game has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Planetside 1 except for taking a few dozen names and copy-pasting them onto a completely different game.  It's not even the same style of gameplay.  It would be like EA hyping up the next Madden game and then you get home with it and find out that all the NFL players are there, but they're playing soccer instead of football.

The game has flaws, it's arguably not as good as PS1, but how does that somehow mean you were 'cheated' or that they advertised one thing and gave you another.

But... they DID advertise one thing and then give us another.  They made a game called Planetside 2 and it turns out it's not a strategic game in any way whatsoever.   It's been dumbed down so much that the learning curve is upside down. It makes window lickers look smart.

PS1 required thought and planning.  You only got a certain amount of certs and there were way more certs in the game than you had points to spend them on.  This meant that you actually had to think about your character and what role you wanted to play on your team.  Do I really need heavy armor, or can I get away with light armor and an MCG?  Can I spare any certs for a vehicle cert and if so, what kind of vehicle do I prefer?

Then you had to set up your loadout.  How much regular ammo do I need?  How much armor peircing will I need on this loadout?  Can I get away with not having any AP ammo at all if I pack a rocket launcher?  

Then you had to pick your implants.  Do I really want Darklight vision or would a shield boost be more helpful?

They promised an updated game based off the original. Which it is. Surprise! Sequels aren't always as good as the originals. It's a free game, I guess I don't understand the amount of butthurt here. Also, the whole community thing is definitely server / faction specific. I have a couple characters on multiple servers, and on the one I play most (TR) we most definitely care about the maps. We're constantly switching maps to try and flip what we can. I'm not going to say that's how the majority of the game is for everyone, because I just don't know, but I know enough to say there are portions of the community that don't act like that. Sorry you rolled on a server that does.

Yes, they did promise this.  Then they gave us Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 with a never ending stream of one-shot-kill vehicles added in for good measure.

You're playing the game exactly the way I said most people are playing it.  You're constantly switching maps in order to flip bases for conversion xp.  Sooo, how is that not exactly what I said people were doing?

User Deleted
4/17/13 11:51:56 PM#42
Originally posted by aesperus

I'm confused at what part of the OPs criticisms makes this game a bait and switch?

The game has flaws, it's arguably not as good as PS1, but how does that somehow mean you were 'cheated' or that they advertised one thing and gave you another.

They promised an updated game based off the original. Which it is. Surprise! Sequels aren't always as good as the originals. It's a free game, I guess I don't understand the amount of butthurt here. Also, the whole community thing is definitely server / faction specific. I have a couple characters on multiple servers, and on the one I play most (TR) we most definitely care about the maps. We're constantly switching maps to try and flip what we can. I'm not going to say that's how the majority of the game is for everyone, because I just don't know, but I know enough to say there are portions of the community that don't act like that. Sorry you rolled on a server that does.

I think he just feels it isn't really Planetside. I have to agree it doesn't play anything like the original. Most people seem to find it more in line with the Battlefield series, though I have not played any of them personally.
  hercules

Hard Core Member

5/07/13 8:12:51 AM#43
PS2 is really  more or less a battlefield mmofps attempt it has almost nothing in common with PS1  apart from the name of vechiles and such .
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/07/13 9:25:16 AM#44
The changes to the resource system
The new alert feature

Both make it important to hold territory.

Then there's the hex system on the beta server.

It's really not a "keep trading" game.

The ttk needs to be longer though.
3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search