Trending Games | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,644,999 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,078,760
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 11/20/12)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

PlanetSide 2 Forum » General Discussion » How infested is PS2 with hackers?

5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
95 posts found
  Rhoklaw

Elite Member

$500 Backer to 2014's Top New MMO... The Repopulation!

OP  12/08/12 2:39:08 PM#1
Well, enough to warrant constant system messages during the double XP weekend. For those who have been playing this weekend, you know what I mean. GM's have been sending out system wide messages all day letting hackers know they are watching. I however consider it an idle threat as its a F2P game so banning does nothing. Good luck SOE with your uphill battle.

mmoguy43

Spotlight Poster

12/08/12 2:48:36 PM#2
So far I've seen 1 and there are others that may be exploiting lag or something. I don't know how they are going to win this battle against hackers/cheats with free accounts just a few clicks away. They do seem to be taking this very seriously so far. Hopefully they can deal with these vermin swifty.
  Crunchy222

Apprentice Member

12/08/12 2:50:12 PM#3

Well the broadcast is stating that no 3rd party programs are to be used, since a lot use sweetfx, my guess its to let them know that they need to stop.

As far as the hack report broadcasts, the one that states "surveillance drones are now monitoring agend XXX" apparently happens when a few people report the same guy for hacking.  Ive seen it appear three times in about 4 hours, all stating an aget with the same name but slight spelling changes.

In total ive seen about 4-6 people who i would stat are hacking.  About 4 of them i know for a fact it was hilariously obvious, the other couple it was very quastionable.  Im not a raging 12 year old who thinks everyone who kills me had to be hacking however, the PS2 forums is PACKED with kids like this.

Yeah theres hackers, not nearly as bad as some other games, and the public notification lets everyone know whos being reported, which is nice, it gives you the ability to look out for it if your in an area with that guy.

Oh and i never consider people who are lagging to be hacking, a lot of people assume everyone playing from the continental united states and near the server location, i know better.

Rhoklaw

Elite Member

$500 Backer to 2014's Top New MMO... The Repopulation!

OP  12/08/12 8:35:07 PM#4

I haven't played the game enough to know what weapons do what for all 3 sides, but as a VS player, I'm using the most damage heavy sniper rifle and I never get a 1 shot kill unless its BR4 or lower. I'm BR15 now and I'm getting 1 shot sniped A LOT and I know people are not headshot experts this much.

I've also run into a group of TR who all seem to be very well coordinated but thats different. Teamspeak and Ventrillo is almost as good as having ESP if people are calling out targets. So yes, it's hard to tell who is hacking and who just has a really good group of players working well together.

When it comes to FPS, I'm usually sitting around 1.0 K/D ratio and I consider that decent. When I see people getting upwards of 5+ K/D ratio, thats when I begin to question their authenticity. I'm not saying they are aimbotting, but having hacks like ESP is enough to achieve initiative for an easy kill.

Acvivm

Advanced Member

12/09/12 7:32:48 AM#5

I don't like to call people out for hacking but I have run into more and more shaddy players as time goes on. I also notice that I run into more hackers when I play late at night US time for some reason so I try to cut myself off at about 11pm just so that I dont have to deal with them. I mean its clear as day that some of these people are using hacks because they know exactly where you are and are already shooting before they even hit the corner. last night I ran into a squad of them and it was obvious to not only my team but to their team who were calling them out over chat, a GM even came on announcing "players X,Y and Z we are watching you".

I dont think the game is infested with hackers but they are clearly there, hopefully it doesn't turn into a fullblown epidemic like APB did because I really want to continue playing this. There is nothing that ruins my fun in a FPS game more then getting repeatedly mowed down by people that know exactly where you are and never miss a single shot even at super longe ranges.

HEAVEN OR HELL
Duel 1
Lets ROCK!

DMKano

Elite Member

12/09/12 7:39:58 AM#6

Hacker is not the right term - as that would mean a person with their own code an d skills hacking the game. There is a minuscule number of hackers.

however if you are talking about how many players use 3rd party tools to cheat in game - a fair amount, more than is apparent as folks who use aim cheats and are not blatant about it are very hard to catch by SoE, as well as other players. 

ironhelix

Novice Member

12/09/12 7:52:36 AM#7
I play as NC, so it's hard to tell sometimes if I am facing a cheater, or if I am just facing a skilled player, as BOTH of the other factions have weapons with almost laser precision. A TR player can burn you down with headshots from his LMG at almost any range, so sometimes it feels as if they are cheating.
  adderVXI

Hard Core Member

~Brawndo~

12/09/12 8:05:57 AM#8

I dont know how many ive seen, cause i usually die pretty quick, but regardless its a boat load of FUN!!!!

I think Sony will take care of these people soon enough.  Hackers will ruin the game long term and why would they just let that happen?  I know as a SWG vet im stupid to be this optimistic...?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

Zinzan

Advanced Member

12/09/12 8:30:57 AM#9

There are hackers, there are players using wallhack, aimbot and speedhack but as to how prevalent it is....well...who knows.

It's hard to tell if a player is cheating unless you watch them closely for hours on end, and even then it's hard to tell.

Amusing thing is i have seen so many cheat accusation being thrown round this week it beggars belief.

One oddity i have seen, the ONLY possible hack i have personally seen is a warping lightning, one second it's miles away, next it's sat on my head, then it's sat on someone else's head the next second. Watched this guy run over 10+ players in a few seconds all over one base, even in rooms and then he simply vanished completely. Not seen him since.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

Superman0X

Advanced Member

12/09/12 8:31:00 AM#10

There are some, but not that many. The issue seems to be that SOE doesnt have the tools/capacity to handle them, in scale. Sure, they ar making a big show of how they are watching people right now, but the reality is that  for every 1 that they are watching, there are 100 that they are not. Manually watching people to try to determine if they are hacking is not scalable.

SOE is in a bad spot. They dont have the automated systems in place to track and monitor for stuff like this yet, and the hacks are flooding in. I will give them credit for trying, and for making a public show of it, but they are just not effective. Without a solid back end system, this will be out of control by January.

bcbully

Elite Member

12/09/12 8:56:50 AM#11
I think I saw my first one last night. At a bio lab, the guy blink a couple times. It didnt seem like latency or fps lag. I've been playing for 3 months.
  spizz

Elite Member

12/09/12 9:31:31 AM#12

Since Planetside 2 has no proper anti-cheat proteciton, I guess around  at least 20% are using cheats. The whole cheater community did turn into an industry, hackers/cheaters/exploiters were a lot more rare years before.

In other words, it is quiete infested with hackers. Already 3-4x different hacks are offered based on a subscription.

I have the feeling that PS2 will flop, not only due to their bugs and gameplay problems but also due to none good working anti-cheat protection.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/09/12 9:32:56 AM#13
It's no better or worse than Any other mmo
  Wraithone

Hard Core Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

12/09/12 9:46:56 AM#14

Tried it for awhile, just to get some sense of the game.  From my limited experience, I've seen some really weird things.  Some clown was blinking in and out, and wiped out five or six players, while they all fired out him and it didn't seem to do anything to him. 

Things like that make one wonder about SOE's back end infrastructure.  There *should* be server side "sanity" checks on client side reports, and automatic logging of any suspect activity.  But from what I'm hearing, there either isn't, or they do not have the tools to scale up to the magnitude of the current problem. 

They had better get a handle on this damn fast, or they are going to ruin the games reputation. 

LadyEuphei

Novice Member

12/09/12 9:53:29 AM#15
Originally posted by Wraithone

Tried it for awhile, just to get some sense of the game.  From my limited experience, I've seen some really weird things.  Some clown was blinking in and out, and wiped out five or six players, while they all fired out him and it didn't seem to do anything to him. 

Things like that make one wonder about SOE's back end infrastructure.  There *should* be server side "sanity" checks on client side reports, and automatic logging of any suspect activity.  But from what I'm hearing, there either isn't, or they do not have the tools to scale up to the magnitude of the current problem. 

They had better get a handle on this damn fast, or they are going to ruin the games reputation. 

That is sad, I really was hoping this game would be a fun secondary shoot 'em up game for me. I do not understand why people want to "win" from cheating. To me it just shows how bad you are that you have to have assistance to get any kills at all. Pathetic and to the cheaters I say ...  t('.'t) 

DMKano

Elite Member

12/09/12 9:53:57 AM#16
Originally posted by ShakyMo
It's no better or worse than Any other mmo

I disagree - ps2 is f2p so cheaters feel like they have nothing to lose as they can create another account and just cheat again.

ps2 does many things client side for the sake of performance, so server side checks are few, this makes it prone to lots of easy exploits via memory hacking.

The abundance of 3rd party tools to cheat in PS2 is self evident just how vulnerable the game really is.

compared to other AAA MMORPGs it's actually a lot worse in PS2 - for example look at Rift today, try cheating yeah - bam, instant detection.

adderVXI

Hard Core Member

~Brawndo~

12/09/12 10:00:49 AM#17
Originally posted by LadyEuphei
Originally posted by Wraithone

That is sad, I really was hoping this game would be a fun secondary shoot 'em up game for me. I do not understand why people want to "win" from cheating. To me it just shows how bad you are that you have to have assistance to get any kills at all. Pathetic and to the cheaters I say ...  t('.'t) 

I totally agree, how much of a bum do you need to be to use a cheat or hack?  I would bet that same mentality transfers to their RL too.

Its not ruining my experience though, i will say that.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

TeknoBug

Novice Member

12/09/12 11:15:44 AM#18

Pretty much all day yesterday we were receiving a message onscreen saying operatives are watching, someone mentioned a certain hack went free (probably used to cost $) and is very widespread now so that might make sense. I saw 3 of them last night and my entire platoon reported them.

Jakdstripper

Advanced Member

12/09/12 11:47:40 AM#19

it's really hard to tell most of the times because with the ammount of stuff going on you really can't tell if the guys just has a really bad connection or he is hacking.

i've run into those guys that are "blinking" all over the place while they dont seem to miss. or the tank that seems to take no damage. or the guy that you know you hit a bunch of times but when you die it shows him at full hp. was it bad connecton on his part? was it hacking?...hard to say.

the good thing in PS2 is that one guy alone can't do much unless he is using some seriously OP hack (like taking 0 damage) in which case he will get reported very quickly by hundreds of players. but if enough people start using hacks than it will be a problem. best thing to do is roll with outfits and squads and if there is a hacker you can get your whole team to report him.....when a few squads/outfit do this he will get kicked out.  

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/09/12 12:20:09 PM#20
Kano

Put it this way I've encountered more hackers in gw2
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 » Search