Trending Games | Pillars of Eternity | Skyforge | Defiance | Star Citizen

Network:  RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,959,655 Users Online:0
Games:801  Posts:6,392,958
Sony Online Entertainment | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 11/20/12)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

PlanetSide 2 Forum » General Discussion » Defending a Base gives no reward - Whats the point ?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
29 posts found
  Xasapis

Tipster

11/29/12 12:50:26 AM#21

Actually, defending a base is infinitely more rewarding than winning one. The difference is that winning gives a flat reward, while defending gives percentage increase for all actions. Considering that capping certain bases turn into a meatgrinding session, holding a base at all costs rewards infinite more to the defenders than to the attackers. Here's the numbers (all numbers are without the personal boosters from booster packs or premium membership that would apply in both cases anyway):

Offence:

• Small base - 250 points
  • Medium base - 500 points
  • Large base - 1000 points
The max reward of 1000 points is 10 kills worth of exp.

Defence:
  • Small base - 5% increase in all exp gain
  • Medium base - 10% increase in all exp gain
  • Large base - 15% increase in all exp gain
The bottom line is that the stronger the defence is, the bigger the gap between the reward for holding a base as oppose to capturing one becomes. The longer you manage to defend, the more rewarded you become.
  ReesRacer

Novice Member

11/29/12 1:05:59 AM#22
Originally posted by Xasapis

Actually, defending a base is infinitely more rewarding than winning one. The difference is that winning gives a flat reward, while defending gives percentage increase for all actions. Considering that capping certain bases turn into a meatgrinding session, holding a base at all costs rewards infinite more to the defenders than to the attackers. Here's the numbers (all numbers are without the personal boosters from booster packs or premium membership that would apply in both cases anyway):

Offence:

• Small base - 250 points
  • Medium base - 500 points
  • Large base - 1000 points
The max reward of 1000 points is 10 kills worth of exp.

Defence:
  • Small base - 5% increase in all exp gain
  • Medium base - 10% increase in all exp gain
  • Large base - 15% increase in all exp gain
The bottom line is that the stronger the defence is, the bigger the gap between the reward for holding a base as oppose to capturing one becomes. The longer you manage to defend, the more rewarded you become.

one of the developer interviews confirmed this and declared that the system was not explicitly notifying players of the statistical gains for defense, but would make it much more clear ASAP. rest assured, you ARE getting a nice benefit from defensive action in the game.

cheers Xasapis!

Rayshe

Novice Member

11/29/12 1:09:15 AM#23
When i was playing the main thing i saw that bugged me is that people charge head first into the biggest battle. When the majority of the time bases are taken by a small task force.

Because i can.
I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Xasapis

Tipster

11/29/12 1:13:06 AM#24
Originally posted by Rayshe
When i was playing the main thing i saw that bugged me is that people charge head first into the biggest battle. When the majority of the time bases are taken by a small task force.

Most people playing are soloers looking for excitement. Strategic play is not their priority.

Shoko_Lied

Apprentice Member

SWG Publish 4 Jedi:Flurry: TKM unlock

11/29/12 4:24:16 PM#25
The point is to retain territory so you can keep pushing out. The other point is so you can have fun killing people. I thought it was obvious.
  Shoko_Lied

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 4:27:53 PM#26
Originally posted by Siveria
The entire game of planetside 2 has no point to it, its just a pointless pay2win zergfest with no real purpose or point. Thohgh you can argue no game really has a point to it, but Ps2 is one of the few that is just not really even worth bothering with.

It's not pay2win. I can get high scores on a no cert character.

If you think there's no purpose or point, then just quit playing FPS altogether. You won't get anything from shooters.

I find the game enjoyable. Bombing from liberators, dogfighting in aircraft. Shooting people. Assembling a 20 man tank raid. It has as much and more than any other FPS.

Shoko_Lied

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 4:36:39 PM#27
Originally posted by mikecackle
Originally posted by impiro

The entire game of planetside 2 has no point to it, its just a pointless pay2win zergfest with no real purpose or point.

I myself quit the game once I figured out the game is pay2win, due to how many certs are needed to unlock stuff and how little you get for doing things.

Clearly you didnt understand the game at all and have no clue what you are talking about.

First Pay2Win:

-Nope. I personally prefer all the primary weapons over the ones that you can buy, as none of the unlockable weapons have better stats, just different stats.

- A lot of the utility slots are really cheap in certs (which are really easy to aquire) or do not really give much of an advantage. 

-Weapon attachments all come with their disadvantages. 

Zergfest? Only if you do not squad up and have no idea what you are doing so you just use hotspots to enter battles. Any bit of knowlegde and experience in this game and you would have known that this is the wrong way to play. Join a squad and you will constantly have small tactical skirmishes over all the continents.

Pointless? Not any more pointless than any other shooter out there. That is what this game is, a shooter. NOT A RPG. The point is to conquer all the continents not to gain awesome stuff. Join an outfit and rivalry and large tactical warfare will make this game interesting in the long run. But still, its primarily a shooter....

In conclusion: You base your opinion on a very limited experience with a game that you barely understood. Next time you have one, please make sure you get the facts straight. Calling this game P2W gives away you do not have a clue and are probably just bad at shooters.

It's a shame you've never experienced a real game and happy with this grade F dog chow :D

Siveria nailed this game review on the head

That's your own misinformed opinion. I've played just about every shooter since DOOM, and this is hands down the best, with the most things to do. Give me an example of a better shooter that most people will agree on. I dare you.

Airwren

Apprentice Member

11/29/12 4:49:24 PM#28
Originally posted by denshing
Originally posted by mikecackle
Originally posted by impiro

The entire game of planetside 2 has no point to it, its just a pointless pay2win zergfest with no real purpose or point.

I myself quit the game once I figured out the game is pay2win, due to how many certs are needed to unlock stuff and how little you get for doing things.

Clearly you didnt understand the game at all and have no clue what you are talking about.

First Pay2Win:

-Nope. I personally prefer all the primary weapons over the ones that you can buy, as none of the unlockable weapons have better stats, just different stats.

- A lot of the utility slots are really cheap in certs (which are really easy to aquire) or do not really give much of an advantage. 

-Weapon attachments all come with their disadvantages. 

Zergfest? Only if you do not squad up and have no idea what you are doing so you just use hotspots to enter battles. Any bit of knowlegde and experience in this game and you would have known that this is the wrong way to play. Join a squad and you will constantly have small tactical skirmishes over all the continents.

Pointless? Not any more pointless than any other shooter out there. That is what this game is, a shooter. NOT A RPG. The point is to conquer all the continents not to gain awesome stuff. Join an outfit and rivalry and large tactical warfare will make this game interesting in the long run. But still, its primarily a shooter....

In conclusion: You base your opinion on a very limited experience with a game that you barely understood. Next time you have one, please make sure you get the facts straight. Calling this game P2W gives away you do not have a clue and are probably just bad at shooters.

It's a shame you've never experienced a real game and happy with this grade F dog chow :D

Siveria nailed this game review on the head

That's your own misinformed opinion. I've played just about every shooter since DOOM, and this is hands down the best, with the most things to do. Give me an example of a better shooter that most people will agree on. I dare you.

I would disagree with you on only 1 slight point Denshing.  By and large this game is NOT pay2win.  I have yet to pay a cent for the game and still do fairly well in most situations.  Where I would tend to disagree with you on that issue is when it comes to buying vehicle upgrades, specifically the rocket pods, missles, and other upgrades for the aircraft.  Those definitely provide a significant advantage over someone who tries to pilot an aircraft using the 'default' loadout.  Is it impossible to do well in that situation, not if you catch folks unaware etc. but those items are crazy powerful vs. the default items.  That said, I don't find the same issue in the infantry combat.  I'm not sure why the disparity but it definitely exists.

csthao

Advanced Member

11/29/12 5:43:37 PM#29
I remember a time when you just defend / attack a base for FUN with no rewards. Now everyone expects something to have fun?
2 Pages « 1 2 Search