Trending Games | Star Citizen | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Guild Wars 2 | Landmark

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,392 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,494
Giant Interactive
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Neonga AG
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

DragonSoul Forum » General Discussion » Classes are gender locked

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
68 posts found
  Onigod

Novice Member

5/30/11 1:37:46 PM#41

soon people will get upset mmos dont have the shemale gender option....

steelfrenzy

Apprentice Member

5/30/11 1:38:57 PM#42
Originally posted by Leviticus
Originally posted by Yamumacha

The part that gets me about it is that they've locked the classes by gender for absolutely no reason whatsoever. There's no story reason, nothing, absolutely no reason given for locking them.

They have a reason. They want to work as little as possible in the hope of getting our money.

That's the whole basis of these F2P games. What bothers me is the fact that this mentality is now commonplace in the mmo industry. I guess that's unfair... that mentality is present in most areas of life. Do as little work as possible, while charging as much as possible. We all know this, and we all accept it because we can't do much about it. I can't stand the people who sit there and defend it.

steelfrenzy

Apprentice Member

5/30/11 1:42:16 PM#43
Originally posted by Onigod

soon people will get upset mmos dont have the shemale gender option....

lol, because that's not going overboard :)

Considering that you can't actually see their genitalia, that really wouldn't take much imagination. That complaint would be entirely invalid!

Leviticus

Novice Member

The best thing about being pessimistis is you are either proven right or pleasantly surprised.

5/30/11 1:44:24 PM#44
Originally posted by steelfrenzy

The part that gets me about it is that they've locked the classes by gender for absolutely no reason whatsoever. There's no story reason, nothing, absolutely no reason given for locking them.

They have a reason. They want to work as little as possible in the hope of getting our money.

That's the whole basis of these F2P games. What bothers me is the fact that this mentality is now commonplace in the mmo industry. I guess that's unfair... that mentality is present in most areas of life. Do as little work as possible, while charging as much as possible. We all know this, and we all accept it because we can't do much about it. I can't stand the people who sit there and defend it.

I agree. There is no reason for this restriction. We can do a lot about it. If people refuse and play another game the developers/publishers will think twice. What really frustrates me is how they try and ignore complaints.

Unlight

Novice Member

5/30/11 1:45:40 PM#45
Originally posted by ichimarunico

Genderlocked classes tells you the developers are too lazy to animate both sexes for each class. Move on before you waste any time/money, because if they're lazy on that fundamental level they're going to take shortcuts where shortcuts should not be taken.

It may be laziness or it may be lack of resources.  Not all developers have the infinite well to dip into that Blizzard has.  Reducing the number of possible character types by restricting gender means a substantial savings in time and money.

Personally, I'd hate to get stuck playing an ugly blocky male if it was the only type available for my class of choice, so I'd prefer no restrictions.  If the rest of the game isn't intriguing enough to me to overcome that little aesthetic speedbump, I'll just play something else.  On the other hand, if there's a valid rationale for locking a class to a specific gender, I'm cool with that.  I'd actually find the non-restriction distracting at that point.

Leviticus

Novice Member

The best thing about being pessimistis is you are either proven right or pleasantly surprised.

5/30/11 1:48:04 PM#46
Originally posted by Unlight

Genderlocked classes tells you the developers are too lazy to animate both sexes for each class. Move on before you waste any time/money, because if they're lazy on that fundamental level they're going to take shortcuts where shortcuts should not be taken.

It may be laziness or it may be lack of resources.  Not all developers have the infinite well to dip into that Blizzard has.  Reducing the number of possible character types by restricting gender means a substantial savings in time and money.

Personally, I'd hate to get stuck playing an ugly blocky male if it was the only type available for my class of choice, so I'd prefer no restrictions.  If the rest of the game isn't intriguing enough to me to overcome that little aesthetic speedbump, I'll just play something else.  On the other hand, if there's a valid rationale for locking a class to a specific gender, I'm cool with that.  I'd actually find the non-restriction distracting at that point.

But they didn't give us any explanation for the locked gender. And the fact that everything seems to be so well implemented clearly shows they do have money to implement things.

Yamumacha

Apprentice Member

OP  5/30/11 1:49:06 PM#47

I agree. There is no reason for this restriction. We can do a lot about it. If people refuse and play another game the developers/publishers will think twice. What really frustrates me is how they try and ignore complaints.

Exactly, they won't even acknowledge the complaints, on twitter, on facebook, on here, on the fansite. They won't even respond, flat out ignoring every complaint thus far.

steelfrenzy

Apprentice Member

5/30/11 1:49:33 PM#48

That's a very good point, though I can assure you that even if the game begins to profit you can expect those gender-locks to stay in place.

Leviticus

Novice Member

5/30/11 1:52:26 PM#49

That's a very good point, though I can assure you that even if the game begins to profit you can expect those gender-locks to stay in place.

Of course they will stay in places. Coz they will think why change anything if the players are accepting the locked genders and still paying good money, why do more work?

Thats their mentality

Yamumacha

Apprentice Member

OP  5/30/11 2:22:15 PM#50

Yeah, that pretty much sums it all up.

Palebane

Novice Member

5/30/11 2:39:42 PM#51
Originally posted by Palebane

Diablo 2 did the same thing and it turned out just fine. What is the problem? Unless you are that sexually insecure you can't play a character that is not the same sex as you.

Yeah, buddy. You're not trying to be rude at all.

Gender-locking is idiotic. I'm not "sexually insecure", but I absolutely despise playing as a female character. I want to actually see the armor on my body. I hate working hard for a set of armor, just to see that the finished product has left me with 2 inches of plate and thin leather straps. It really comes down to the developers being lazy, just as... someone said earlier. Of course, I enjoy an older D&D mentality. Any one can do any thing. Restrictions in general are ridiculous!

It's been done a lot in the past. It's going to be done a lot in the future. You can think it's just lazy development, and I will continue to argue it's irrelevance to most sane people.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Leviticus

Novice Member

5/30/11 2:47:59 PM#52

Diablo 2 did the same thing and it turned out just fine. What is the problem? Unless you are that sexually insecure you can't play a character that is not the same sex as you.

Yeah, buddy. You're not trying to be rude at all.

Gender-locking is idiotic. I'm not "sexually insecure", but I absolutely despise playing as a female character. I want to actually see the armor on my body. I hate working hard for a set of armor, just to see that the finished product has left me with 2 inches of plate and thin leather straps. It really comes down to the developers being lazy, just as... someone said earlier. Of course, I enjoy an older D&D mentality. Any one can do any thing. Restrictions in general are ridiculous!

It's been done a lot in the past. It's going to be done a lot in the future. You can think it's just lazy development, and I will continue to argue it's irrelevance to most sane people.

Yeah and that's your opinion. Fact is the developers/publishers will lose money because of it.

Sovrath

Elite Member

5/30/11 2:54:26 PM#53

Did anybody ever consider that the idea of gender,  "male"/"female" has a particular resonance with Asian culture? that applying a gender to a particular class means more than its' just a man/woman?

I highly doubt the effort to allow a class both male and female genders is a huge task nor have I ever met a developer that was actually "lazy".

Yamumacha

Apprentice Member

OP  5/30/11 2:56:12 PM#54

It's irrelevant to you, and you're more than welcome to that opinion. But it's relevant to us. It doesn't make us any less "sane"

Leviticus

Novice Member

5/30/11 2:57:21 PM#55

It's irrelevant to you, and you're more than welcome to that opinion. But it's relevant to us. It doesn't make us any less "sane"

Exactly. Wanting free choice does not mean we're insane.

Yamumacha

Apprentice Member

OP  5/30/11 3:52:47 PM#56

All we can do is keep on asking and complaining, hopefully they can get it changed. It would be nice if they would at the very least even just acknowledge our complaints.

Novice Member

5/30/11 5:28:33 PM#57

It's an issue that can't be looked over, but hopefully in time, things can be worked out for the better.

Ladywilow

Novice Member

5/31/11 8:02:40 AM#58

Pffttt...half the girl chars in mmorpg's are guys anyway..

As a girl i am always asking why, the reply i get is i don't wanna stare at a guys ass..nuff said

someforumguy

Advanced Member

5/31/11 8:19:07 AM#59
Originally posted by Sovrath

Did anybody ever consider that the idea of gender,  "male"/"female" has a particular resonance with Asian culture? that applying a gender to a particular class means more than its' just a man/woman?

I highly doubt the effort to allow a class both male and female genders is a huge task nor have I ever met a developer that was actually "lazy".

It is a lot of work to animate a different gender or race or whatever for some set of armour. Allowing 2 genders for each class is double the work then allowing just 1.

And your assumption about the idea of gender having a particular resonance with Asian culture is just that, an assumption. Just look at other games on the Asian market and you will see similar classes where the situation is the opposite. Male and not female instead of female and not male.

I agree with others that if there is no lore reason, that I suspect that they simply chose for this to save time in development. MMO's in the f2p genre have usually less character customisation to begin with compared to p2p. This is just part of that.

Yamumacha

Apprentice Member

OP  5/31/11 9:43:38 AM#60
Originally posted by Ladywilow

Pffttt...half the girl chars in mmorpg's are guys anyway..

As a girl i am always asking why, the reply i get is i don't wanna stare at a guys ass..nuff said

I dunno about you but I don't tend to stare at my characters ass, it's more the look of the character with the armor. And I'd rather use a male character than a female character because I like my character to wear more armor than a bathing suit.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search