Trending Games | WildStar | Neverwinter | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,640,558 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,075,069
Giant Interactive
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Neonga AG
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

DragonSoul Forum » General Discussion » Classes are gender locked

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
68 posts found
  Leviticus

Novice Member

The best thing about being pessimistis is you are either proven right or pleasantly surprised.

5/30/11 11:55:29 AM#21
Originally posted by jadedlevir

Gender locks don't really bother me, but usually gender lock games seem to suck, mmos at least.

Also, it's more of a customization thing. Sometimes I play male characters, other times female so thats not really a concern, it's just that I love having a lot of customization and it's silly not even to allow whichever gender you want.  What if some female player wanted to have a tough warroir type character, or a male wanted a healing male character, it's just pointless to restrict it. Somtimes it's for story purposes, but a lot of times it's not.

What I hate the most is they give so much choice in gameplay. We can pick between 8 kingdoms, different maps, lots of different gear, lots of different mounts and then they do something so stupid like not giving us a choice of the gender we want to play.

Yamumacha

Apprentice Member

OP  5/30/11 11:58:27 AM#22
Originally posted by Palebane
Originally posted by Leviticus

Doesn't worry me.Why would it?But I am not playing a game as something I don't want to be.

No male assassin is what you are upset about? I want to play a Troll Shadowknight, but there is only one game that has those. So if I was to follow your philosophy, the only game I could ever play is Everquest?

Why do you feel the need to be so aggressive and insulting over it? You're also hardly comparing the same thing. You're comparing a unique class in a specific game to a gender. We understand gender locking if there is a reason for it, if there is a purpose and story to it. But there isn't, they've simply locked it for no reason whatsoever. They are limiting choices and giving us silly restrictions for no reason. All we're asking for is to be able to pick the gender we want for the classes they've made. It's not exactly a huge demand is it? It's what one would expect to be a standard feature.

Palebane

Novice Member

5/30/11 12:02:47 PM#23
Originally posted by Yamumacha

Doesn't worry me.Why would it?But I am not playing a game as something I don't want to be.

No male assassin is what you are upset about? I want to play a Troll Shadowknight, but there is only one game that has those. So if I was to follow your philosophy, the only game I could ever play is Everquest?

Why do you feel the need to be so aggressive and insulting over it? You're also hardly comparing the same thing. You're comparing a unique class in a specific game to a gender. We understand gender locking if there is a reason for it, if there is a purpose and story to it. But there isn't, they've simply locked it for no reason whatsoever. They are limiting choices and giving us silly restrictions for no reason. All we're asking for is to be able to pick the gender we want for the classes they've made. It's not exactly a huge demand is it? It's what one would expect to be a standard feature.

I'm not trying to be rude. I do sympathize with both of you. I just think it's silly to be in a tizzy over something that can largely be overlooked by even a small imagination. If you guys were complaining that there were only 5 classes available, I can understand that, but being upset that the one you want doesn't come in the gender you want, is like complaining that the skin color is not exactly how you like it, to me.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Leviticus

Novice Member

The best thing about being pessimistis is you are either proven right or pleasantly surprised.

5/30/11 12:09:23 PM#24

I'm not trying to be rude. I do sympathize with both of you. I just think it's silly to be in a tizzy over something that can largely be overlooked by even a small imagination. If you guys were complaining that there were only 5 classes available, I can understand that, but being upset that the one you want doesn't come in the gender you want, is like complaining that the skin color is not exactly how you like it, to me.

Yes it can be overlooked.But why should we overlook it?It's a basic feature that lots of people expect.This is restricting our freedom to choose what we want.

gaeanprayer

Novice Member

5/30/11 12:09:24 PM#25

Woops, got my wires crossed. Ignore.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

steelfrenzy

Novice Member

5/30/11 12:10:41 PM#26

Diablo 2 did the same thing and it turned out just fine. What is the problem? Unless you are that sexually insecure you can't play a character that is not the same sex as you.

Yeah, buddy. You're not trying to be rude at all.

Gender-locking is idiotic. I'm not "sexually insecure", but I absolutely despise playing as a female character. I want to actually see the armor on my body. I hate working hard for a set of armor, just to see that the finished product has left me with 2 inches of plate and thin leather straps. It really comes down to the developers being lazy, just as... someone said earlier. Of course, I enjoy an older D&D mentality. Any one can do any thing. Restrictions in general are ridiculous!

Phry

Elite Member

5/30/11 12:11:36 PM#27

gender in games is largely irrelevant.. though i am curious as to why they would want to gender lock certain classes - im guessing its because it means they don't have to do quite so many variations in clothing etc..  now.. a contentious issue imo.. would in fact be if the classes were locked to racial colouring... 

Phry

Elite Member

5/30/11 12:14:24 PM#28
Originally posted by steelfrenzy

Diablo 2 did the same thing and it turned out just fine. What is the problem? Unless you are that sexually insecure you can't play a character that is not the same sex as you.

Yeah, buddy. You're not trying to be rude at all.

Gender-locking is idiotic. I'm not "sexually insecure", but I absolutely despise playing as a female character. I want to actually see the armor on my body. I hate working hard for a set of armor, just to see that the finished product has left me with 2 inches of plate and thin leather straps. It really comes down to the developers being lazy, just as... someone said earlier. Of course, I enjoy an older D&D mentality. Any one can do any thing. Restrictions in general are ridiculous!

must admit.. forgetting the gender locking bit for a moment.. one of the things i've noticed a lot is that there does seem to be a certain propensity for games to depict the 'male' melee warrior types as being heavily armoured 'knights' and the female melee warrior.. wearing the same type of armour.. somehow .. manages with something little better than a bathing costume.. of metal.. not sure its being lazy though

Leviticus

Novice Member

5/30/11 12:15:27 PM#29
Originally posted by gaeanprayer

The reason this discussion keeps coming up is coz people don't want locked genders. You answered it yourself. Just coz you unquestionably accept the content doesn't mean we do. And it's nothing to do with male or female. It's the principle of "free choice" .

ichimarunico

Apprentice Member

5/30/11 12:17:24 PM#30

Genderlocked classes tells you the developers are too lazy to animate both sexes for each class. Move on before you waste any time/money, because if they're lazy on that fundamental level they're going to take shortcuts where shortcuts should not be taken.

Leviticus

Novice Member

5/30/11 12:19:29 PM#31
Originally posted by ichimarunico

Genderlocked classes tells you the developers are too lazy to animate both sexes for each class. Move on before you waste any time/money, because if they're lazy on that fundamental level they're going to take shortcuts where shortcuts should not be taken.

Well said. And people who just accept this are people who will accept anything. If we are paying money then we have the right to select our gender and class that we want. Again it's about free choice. And basically they want to force us to play as something we don't want AND pay for it.

gaeanprayer

Novice Member

5/30/11 12:20:03 PM#32

The reason this discussion keeps coming up is coz people don't want locked genders. You answered it yourself. Just coz you unquestionably accept the content doesn't mean we do. And it's nothing to do with male or female. It's the principle of "free choice" .

Not every choice you're going to have is free. I don't know where the mentality comes from, but you are not OWED free choice in anything, don't let democracy fool you. You get to make the decisions when you make the game. Until then people need to stop complaining about such trivial things and either move on to find something else they like, or play the damn game.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Ryukan

Novice Member

5/30/11 12:20:32 PM#33

Excatly, it is just lazy developing. There are instances where a case could be made for gender locking classes...this game is not one of them.

gaeanprayer

Novice Member

5/30/11 12:21:10 PM#34

Well said. And people who just accept this are people who will accept anything. If we are paying money then we have the right to select our gender and class that we want. Again it's about free choice. And basically they want to force us to play as something we don't want AND pay for it.

Except no one is forcing you to play, and last I checked the game was f2p to begin with. So your point falls flat.

Leviticus

Novice Member

5/30/11 12:22:46 PM#35

Not every choice you're going to have is free. I don't know where the mentality comes from, but you are not OWED free choice in anything, don't let democracy fool you. You get to make the decisions when you make the game. Until then people need to stop complaining about such trivial things and either move on to find something else they like, or play the damn game.

Considering we are going to be spending money on it and the developers/publishers will be accepting our hard earned money. So I think we can safely say we SHOULD have free choice. And if not we will move on to another game. Just coz the developers/publishers are too lazy to give design simple item for both classes is not my problem.

steelfrenzy

Novice Member

5/30/11 12:23:32 PM#36

Haha, agreed. The gender-locking itself seems lazy in my eyes. I understand the whole scantily-clad women thing, but that's another story entirely. Actually, that leads me into another reason why I wouldn't want to play a woman. There are so many people in mmos who go around pretending to be women and then begging for money. I think mmos might be giving women a bad name, hahaha.

steelfrenzy

Novice Member

5/30/11 12:26:24 PM#37

That's what I was going to say :| Anyway, that's one of the multiple cons of gender-locking. I don't think anyone else has arguments aside from "Well, you don't have to play.", "You're insecure.", "Use your imagination.", or "Deal with it, and stop bitching."

Leviticus

Novice Member

5/30/11 12:26:37 PM#38
Originally posted by steelfrenzy

Haha, agreed. The gender-locking itself seems lazy in my eyes. I understand the whole scantily-clad women thing, but that's another story entirely. Actually, that leads me into another reason why I wouldn't want to play a woman. There are so many people in mmos who go around pretending to be women and then begging for money. I think mmos might be giving women a bad name, hahaha.

Yep and in one particular game that did happen. Only the guy actually gave the female character (played by a man) a load of item mall items for free.haha. And this is just gonna happen a lot more in this game.

Yamumacha

Apprentice Member

OP  5/30/11 12:29:56 PM#39

The part that gets me about it is that they've locked the classes by gender for absolutely no reason whatsoever. There's no story reason, nothing, absolutely no reason given for locking them.

Leviticus

Novice Member

5/30/11 12:31:12 PM#40

The part that gets me about it is that they've locked the classes by gender for absolutely no reason whatsoever. There's no story reason, nothing, absolutely no reason given for locking them.

They have a reason. They want to work as little as possible in the hope of getting our money.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search