Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Dragon Age: Inquisition | Guild Wars 2 | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,904,912 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,291,122
Seatribe | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Historical | Status:Final  (rel 2013)  | Pub:Paradox Interactive
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Salem Forum » General Discussion » Very Interesting Concept.. PvE servers Needed

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
74 posts found
  waynejr2

Elite Member

RIP City of Heroes!

8/19/12 1:06:49 PM#21
Originally posted by kartool
Originally posted by waynejr2
Originally posted by kartool
Originally posted by TruthXHurts
Originally posted by mmozombie

I tried the game out, looked interesting.. Permadeath i can deal with, but Permadeath bundled with PvP i cant stomach... But as everyone knows, Open PVP means griefers, and griefers are not fun... Either make PvE servers, Allow us to flag PVE, or make PVP only avalible via factions... ill be following this game, but wont be playing it... Heres hoping for PvE

Oh god here it comes... Change this niche game to be like something I have played before. Look if you don't like PVP or permadeath DO NOT play games that feature them. [mod edit]

Why are you such an angry person?

Dude said he won't be playing it as is and would like PvE option. If they did implement a PvE server separate from the PvP server how would that effect you? Ah yes, that's right. It wouldn't. 

The Nazi's rise to power had nothing to do with video games. It had to do with lies, manipulation, oppression and the willingness to use violence to silence critics. 

It would change what the game is at it's core.  If a game isn't good enough for a player, they really need to  move on.  It's basically obvious this game isn't for him.  His changes might even ruin it for him.  Did you consider that?  Why are you so angry?

The core of the game isn't PvP. It's crafting and building, so please explain how allowing people to have the choice between PvE and PvP would ruin the game for anyone. 

Even the people who are making the game call it The Crafing MMO. 

It doesn't change the price of tea in china either. You are thinking wrong.  Can't fix it.

The game is what the game is.  You can't justify the change. 

SysFail

Apprentice Member

8/20/12 6:45:44 AM#22

Learn to micro manage your characters to prevent the loss of dieing being an issue. That's the beauty of these games, they force you to think to minimize loss and because loss is guaranteed.

So either knuckle down and use your brain to survive or find something more suitable for your gaming style, because its really annoying to call players who love this ruleset griefers or whatever just because they enjoy a greater challenge than standing around with sally picking posies in the garden of eden.

Larsa

Novice Member

8/20/12 7:36:52 AM#23
Originally posted by DDDsDD999

He is prob upset, cuse he knows if they create a PvE server, the PVP servers would be barren waste lands, Just like when Ultima Online released the Trammel Rule set, Felucca died..

Simply: No,

And even though some care-bears want it, it will not happen, it goes againest the developer's philosophy in the game's predecesser Haven & Hearth and that carries over for salem.

I agree, knowing the developers from Haven & Hearth there's little chance for a PvE server.

I fear that the same thing as in Haven & Hearth will happen in Salem as well as a consequence: many people will have small armies of alts for the various tasks.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

Bakoryo

Apprentice Member

8/20/12 7:46:27 AM#24

I tried the game out, looked interesting.. Permadeath i can deal with, but Permadeath bundled with PvP i cant stomach... But as everyone knows, Open PVP means griefers, and griefers are not fun... Either make PvE servers, Allow us to flag PVE, or make PVP only avalible via factions... ill be following this game, but wont be playing it... Heres hoping for PvE

Spoken as someone that hasn't played the game nor heard about Haven & Hearth. I have played H&H for a very long time and never gotten pk'ed or griefed except when I was running New Brodgar but that's another point. :P 

I don't mind perma death nor open pvp as it adds some spice to it knowing that you have to build some defence around your homestead to keep it rather than just relying on server blocking the ability to pvp or loose items. If you did get griefed, just move to a better, more remote location. I'm currently set where I haven't seen a single person in a huge radius so there are places still that are remote if you like playing a hermit ;D

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

tom_gore

Apprentice Member

8/20/12 7:49:20 AM#25

He is prob upset, cuse he knows if they create a PvE server, the PVP servers would be barren waste lands, Just like when Ultima Online released the Trammel Rule set, Felucca died..

(for those who dont know what UO is, Felucca was the original world, was open PVP full loot.. then they released Trammel an exact copy of Felucca, but no PvP no Full Loot, and Felucca died pretty much, i almost bet the same would happen in this game)

And here is the truth. Behold, as it is universal.

Every FFA open world PvP game would be more popular with consent-only PvP. Period.

Don't believe me? Prove me wrong. There are several examples (one in the quoted text above) to back me up and none that say otherwise.

TruthXHurts

Novice Member

I am here to chew bubblegum and to kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum!

8/20/12 8:25:02 AM#26
Originally posted by tom_gore

(for those who dont know what UO is, Felucca was the original world, was open PVP full loot.. then they released Trammel an exact copy of Felucca, but no PvP no Full Loot, and Felucca died pretty much, i almost bet the same would happen in this game)

Every FFA open world PvP game would be more popular with consent-only PvP. Period.

Don't believe me? Prove me wrong. There are several examples (one in the quoted text above) to back me up and none that say otherwise.

Popular is not what some people look for. Some people DON'T want what other people want. NOT EVERY GAME HAS TO HAVE WOW NUMBERS! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

SysFail

Apprentice Member

8/20/12 8:34:38 AM#27

They're not open world PvP games if its consensual.

Games like Salem and Darkfall are niche games, developers know it, players know, but theres still enough players out there who enjoy them for them to be made.

As for Ultima, even the dev's have said they wished they had never split the facets. That game is played more on player run servers than the official servers these days, why? because they run the old rulesets prior to the facet split...

tom_gore

Apprentice Member

8/20/12 8:36:45 AM#28
Originally posted by Vandali

They're not open world PvP games if its consensual.

Games like Salem and Darkfall are niche games, developers know it, players know, but theres still enough players out there who enjoy them for them to be made.

As for Ultima, even the dev's have said they wished they had never split the facets. That game is played more on player run servers than the official servers these days, why because they run the old rulesets prior to the facet split.

Can you link that statement, as I cannot seem to find it with google?

Ultima Online died because AoS made the game something it was not designed to be. It gained almost 100% more subscriptions after the launch of Renaissance (Trammel).

tom_gore

Apprentice Member

8/20/12 8:38:00 AM#29
Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Popular is not what some people look for. Some people DON'T want what other people want. NOT EVERY GAME HAS TO HAVE WOW NUMBERS! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I know. Your best bet is to hope the devs are content into catering for the niche crowd and don't sell out to the masses.

Hodo

Advanced Member

8/20/12 8:40:18 AM#30
As far as I have found its not "true" open PvP.  You need to unlock that ability to attack another player, which requires time.   So if you dont want to deal with PvP dont bother unlocking it, and avoid leaving Boston or stay near it, or even better, make friends and start a town.   You know thats what real life people did to avoid raiders, they formed villages and worked in groups.

So much crap, so little quality.

wyldmagik

Advanced Member

8/20/12 8:42:47 AM#31

Mouse look dont work ingame for me, I see salem uses Java6 launching etc not 7.. anyone know of a fix for mouse looking around problems? Liked the idea of the game but the fact I could not rotate the screen at all was a bind..

Read on main forums with one thread about it but nobody seems to know anything much at all.

SysFail

Apprentice Member

8/20/12 8:44:43 AM#32

Ultima Online died because AoS made the game something it was not designed to be. It gained almost 100% more subscriptions after the launch of Renaissance (Trammel).

I read it many years ago on Uo stratics, feel free to wade through that, i believe it was one of the fem devs that said it.

Yes AoS was awful, but UO at that time had no real competition in the mmo market, once the pve games started flowing, then UO started emptying.

tom_gore

Apprentice Member

8/20/12 8:47:04 AM#33
Originally posted by Vandali

I read it many years ago on Uo stratics, feel free to wade through that, i believe it was one of the fem devs that said it.

Yes AoS was awful, but UO at that time had no real competition in the mmo market, once the pve games started flowing, then UO started emptying.

Still, you think UO would have retained their customer base better with Felucca only? Seriously?

SysFail

Apprentice Member

8/20/12 8:48:37 AM#34
Originally posted by wyldmagik

Mouse look dont work ingame for me, I see salem uses Java6 launching etc not 7.. anyone know of a fix for mouse looking around problems? Liked the idea of the game but the fact I could not rotate the screen at all was a bind..

Read on main forums with one thread about it but nobody seems to know anything much at all.

You could install 6 if you dont need 7. I've ran it with 7 and middle mouse button worked fine for rotating the camera, so no idea why you can't.

Butch808

Novice Member

8/20/12 8:49:12 AM#35
Originally posted by wyldmagik

Hold down middlemouse button to rotate the view.

SysFail

Apprentice Member

8/20/12 8:54:53 AM#36
Still, you think UO would have retained their customer base better with Felucca only? Seriously?

I believe it would have continued to be a fantastic sandbox MMO with one facet. It went with pve for profit and lost, but that's what you get from the likes of EA.

wyldmagik

Advanced Member

8/20/12 8:56:21 AM#37

hmm wonder if its my razer mouse profile messing up.. middle mouse opened chat or did something else.. but I have java 6 and 7 on here, they get selected when whatever the applicaiton is called with whatever it needs, the forums say it was primarly working better and for java 6 and people had no end of trouble with java 7. I guess I can deselct the option for its use in its control panel and test.

I will try default profile on mouse software see what happens also

Dova

Novice Member

8/21/12 12:22:55 PM#38
PVP is the game has to be learned. KO is diffrent you lose 2-3 ramdom skils and inventory but not permadeath. ONLY a HUman can permadeath you through the skill of Cain and babel which is the second hardest skill to learn. We are talking about a huge amount of time invested into a chartcer which many people may not even want to risk dyeing them selves. Permadeath in the game is ment to also wipe out these so called grifers. because what happens to highmen that gang together. Suprise town folk working together also work together to wipe out these grifers even permenatly. If your going around killing people its only a matter of time when these players get permadeath as well.
  Loktofeit

Novice Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, ArcheAge, and Combat Arms

8/21/12 1:18:47 PM#39
Originally posted by Consensus

The whole game is designed around perma death, it would break without it. If you understood the game you would realise why, but its too tedious to explain. There will never be pve servers, I can garentee you that 100%.

It also must be too tedious to read the OP, as he said Permadeath was something he could deal with. It was the PVP he had an issue with.

I agree with him. I've been playing a couple hours a night and the game seems to open up new things for me to do each night. I look forward to playing each night but dread ever having to deal with the PVP in this game. Personally, I don't see the point of this game's PVP in its current state.

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth

Hodo

Advanced Member

8/21/12 2:22:00 PM#40

Originally posted by Dova

ONLY a HUman can permadeath you through the skill of Cain and babel which is the second hardest skill to learn.  

Its Abel, not babel.

So much crap, so little quality.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search