Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | EverQuest | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,891 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,943
Seatribe | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Historical | Status:Final  (rel 2013)  | Pub:Paradox Interactive
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Salem Forum » General Discussion » Development of Salem Sold to Mystery Company

8 posts found
  bigmilk

Novice Member

OP  6/06/14 10:27:55 PM#1

Edit to Add: The following is my final rant against the developers and community of Salem. I received a 24 hour ban from the Salem forums prior to starting this thread. My personal experiences with Salem are my own. If you can get past all my disparaging remarks toward the developers and the community of Salem and you are interested in learning more, go check out the forums or download the game. The community is enthusiastic about these new developments and it seems I am the only vocal opponent of the way the developers handled these changes. With that said, enjoy the show:

After many nights huddled together and crying each other to sleep,  Jorb and Loftar of Seatribe, the only developers of Salem:The Crafting MMO, succumbed to their own philosophy of "tears before cheers" and found themselves drained of all their humours and lacking the strength to be the first ones to tell the small and dwindling community of Salem that all development and community management responsibilities have been sold to Mortal Moments, Inc.

Instead, a new forum admin appeared at the top of the Announcements forum and introduced himself as the new Project Lead of Salem. Initial reactions from the community were almost exclusively positive in the same way that the guy from Game of Thrones, who got his ding dong chopped off by that other guy who was jealous, is now a little crybaby bi@tch begging for approval from his sadistic master. A post by jorb came several hours later after he woke up from his afternoon nap. We know this because loftar, who was hiding in IRC, was confirming the handover and mentioned jorb was sleeping. But like every other time the community was left scratching their heads wondering where the devs were during monumental shifts in the development of Salem, loftar preferred to stay safely tucked away in a corner with his binkie.

Strangely enough, veterans of Salem consider themselves the hardest of hardcore, validating their own presence among a regular online population of around 50 people as evidence that the rest of the world is too lazy or stupid to be among their elite ranks. Yet, with news of the sale they act like whipped dogs licking spilled gravy off their master's boots. Has the whole Salem community suffered from a traumatic experience that now reduces them to belly dragging bastards desperate for validation from the developers? You Betcha!

I'll leave some mystery for anyone interested in investigating further. As you look around the forums, ask yourself, Who is Mortal Moments, Inc and what have any of the members of the team ever accomplished? If you find any evidence that anyone associated with this company has ever designed, produced, or published any sort of game-like thing, 3D/2D, table top, card, mobile, web, concept art or tech demos, then I would love to hear about it!

Here's the best part, both Seatribe and Mortal Moments, Inc refuse to provide any information about the new "developers" including real life first names, game related publications, essays, blogs, or any work that would give the community any knowledge about who they are as professional developers. Salem is a cesspool of trolls and scams clouded with  paranoia and frustration, so the fact that these so-called elite hardcore veterans heel at the feet of charlatans (until proven otherwise) is baffling.

There's lots more. I wrote a nice parody of the whole situation in the City Upon a Hill forum called "I'm writing a book and I could use some input" It's really stupid, but I was doing it in real time as the new dev continued to spew empty rhetoric about all their ideas to make Salem great. Along the way I managed to step outside the boundaries of the forum rules and unintentionally posted 2x in a row in 2 separate threads - Ban 24 hours. I'm sure it had nothing to do with my constant refusal to address the new dev as a real person, instead referring to him as "the fictional character MushMouth created by jorb." I worked tirelessly for 12 hours (yeah, a little extreme) communicating my disdain for the way the whole thing was handled and my frustration that the boot lickers bought the full line of crap that this fictional dev was selling. Questions about their lack of real world experience in game development were ignored or excused without providing any additional information.

Anyway, I am banned for 24 hours and I thought this would be a fine place for people to get a new update on the state of Salem.

Thanks for reading, Peace!

DamonVile

Apprentice Member

6/06/14 10:42:08 PM#2
Originally posted by bigmilk

Anyway, I am banned for 24 hours and I thought this would be a fine place for people to get a new update on the state of Salem.

Ok who reading this ...didn't see this coming at the end ?

OhhPaigey

Hard Core Member

6/06/14 10:45:40 PM#3
Originally posted by DamonVile

You're better off rich and guilty than poor and innocent. - Immortal Technique

DMKano

Elite Member

6/06/14 10:54:40 PM#4
Kudos to OP for paragraphs.
  bigmilk

Novice Member

OP  6/06/14 10:56:33 PM#5

I didn't have to mention any of that, plus the reason for the ban was a technicality rather than a content or conduct violation (actually described in the second to last paragraph). Yeah, I went overboard, but I don't think it was some great mark of shame to be persistent against someone claiming to be a developer who refuses to provide any reference to any work related to game development. Aren't most people in this forum supportive of skepticism of developer promises?

Thanks for the replies!

bigmilk

Novice Member

OP  6/06/14 10:59:46 PM#6
Originally posted by DMKano
Kudos to OP for paragraphs.

:)

I'm all for keeping in line and making the community a better place. Proper paragraphs are a big part of letting people know that you want them to read what you've written. Maybe it was a little long winded, but it is what it is, and not really very encumbering for the reader.

edit to add: as an example, I just posted 2x in a row here responding to different comments. In the Salem forums now you get a warning for the first time you do this, and a 24 ban for the second time. That's how I got banned. I had no idea I had been warned since the warning was written inside my post in a different thread that I hadn't returned to.

DamonVile

Apprentice Member

6/06/14 11:40:02 PM#7

I didn't have to mention any of that, plus the reason for the ban was a technicality rather than a content or conduct violation (actually described in the second to last paragraph). Yeah, I went overboard, but I don't think it was some great mark of shame to be persistent against someone claiming to be a developer who refuses to provide any reference to any work related to game development. Aren't most people in this forum supportive of skepticism of developer promises?

Thanks for the replies!

I think a lot of people think this is the place to go after you've been banned to continue a more one sided argument that you can now "win". Typically when someone posts a super hostile rant about developers of a game, it always seems to end up that they were just banned.

So when I saw your last line...I wasn't surprised.

bigmilk

Novice Member

OP  6/06/14 11:53:47 PM#8

I think a lot of people think this is the place to go after you've been banned to continue a more one sided argument that you can now "win". Typically when someone posts a super hostile rant about developers of a game, it always seems to end up that they were just banned.

So when I saw your last line...I wasn't surprised.

I certainly characterized myself as adversarial toward the devs and the community. While there may have 1 or 2 people who sympathized with my arguments, I think even those people are happy that I was shut down. As one person commented, "you're being a real downer." She was right.

Thanks for your excellent comment. Rather than try to "win" a one-sided argument, I'll concede the loss and let the rest of the thread serve as a confessional. The news of the transfer of power IS interesting (in the limited world of Salem), so I think the thread is still useful to point people in the direction of the Salem forums if they find the news compelling.