Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | EverQuest | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,886 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,941
Seatribe | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Historical | Status:Final  (rel 2013)  | Pub:Paradox Interactive
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Salem Forum » General Discussion » Will Salem's design and graphics turn people off?

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 Search
91 posts found
  Stravas

Novice Member

1/15/13 4:59:59 PM#81
Love, love the idea and setting of the game but when i saw that you could be killed by a grasshopper, that kinda of changed my mind . . . not sure i could deal with that sadly.
  ObiClownobi

Novice Member

1/15/13 5:51:35 PM#82
Originally posted by Stravas
Love, love the idea and setting of the game but when i saw that you could be killed by a grasshopper, that kinda of changed my mind . . . not sure i could deal with that sadly.

A grasshopper can only knock you out, it takes a player to actually kill you.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

XilentStorm

Novice Member

Games are epic.

4/01/13 9:55:05 AM#83
For me, it did. The players I got used to, the horses level of ugliness (while funny) can't be taken seriously. xD So yes. It did turn me off.

Veteran MMORPG Player -

ROM
EVE
RS (pre-EOC)- Habbo
Combat Arms - Crossfire -AVA
Maplestory, and more.

redcapp

Novice Member

5/09/13 8:36:39 PM#84

Absolutely.  The graphics look weird.  And the game doesn't play particularly smoothly, either. 

Originally posted by Biskop

Well, after playing the beta for a while I'm sad to say my worst fears have come true.

It's just impossible for me to connect to the game world and my character when everything looks like a stupid cartoon for kids. Also, the world is very bland and, despite its size, very repetitious; you trod around for hours and everything looks exactly the same. Water is ugly as hell and animation + movement feel sluggish and unresponsive.

Not to mention the weird ui and non-intuitive skill system.

I really tried to give Salem a chance, because it has so many features I want in my mmo, but somehow it just doesn't do it for me. If it at least had looked and felt like a dark New England horror story I would probably be more forgiving, but as it stands.. No thanks.

This basically mirrors my thoughts.  The game just isn't executed well beyond the concept.

atticusbc

Advanced Member

I hated hipsters before hating hipsters was cool.

5/09/13 8:43:56 PM#85
the characters look like creepy, lifeless dolls given motion by an unspeakable force beyond the comprehension of man for some fell purpose the likes of which has never before been wrought upon this earth. so yes.
  XilentStorm

Novice Member

Games are epic.

5/25/13 6:55:49 PM#86
It already has, especially the "bile" attributes? I fully encourage humor and love these kinds of mechanics but this game is just on a whole new level of sad, you don't mix a ridiculously awkward style with a hardcore sandbox MMO, NO ONE will play it. Except for those select few, many of the people who like Haven & Hearth but find it really half done won't be able to play this seriously.

Veteran MMORPG Player -

ROM
EVE
RS (pre-EOC)- Habbo
Maplestory, and more.

XilentStorm

Novice Member

Games are epic.

5/25/13 7:01:25 PM#87
Originally posted by Tuchaka
i took one look at the graphics and said F this game so ya it will turn people off in fact this game has no chance because of it

Yup, not even gameplay can fix something that looks this bad. xD

Veteran MMORPG Player -

ROM
EVE
RS (pre-EOC)- Habbo
Maplestory, and more.

oldbookheaven

Apprentice Member

6/06/13 3:57:05 AM#88
Haven and Hearth looks like shit tho.  Who plays 2d crap like that anymore.  Salem's graphics are fine for what it is.  It's not some high end game.  It's 2 dev's from Sweden and a basic system of 3D graphics.  It's sort of Cartoony but fun to play.
  Komandor

Apprentice Member

6/07/13 7:34:42 AM#89

Gameplay > Everything.

This is why classic UO is still the best MMO on earth.

Will Salem beat UO? Can't say yet...the pay2win system is definitely a big drawback.

Keep on rockin'!

Biskop

Novice Member

OP  6/14/13 3:14:26 AM#90
God I'm sick of the "gameplay>graphics" cliché. Sure, graphics isn't the only important thing about a game, but if it didn't matter at all, we'd all still be playing pnp games and muds.

Computer games are graphical games and graphics are the means by which the game presents itself to the player. If that presentation fails at easing the player into the game, it doesn't matter how great the gameplay is, since it is hindered by an inferior presentation.

Games should have BOTH good graphics and good gameplay, with today's pc tech there's no need to chose anymore.
  StarI

Novice Member

6/14/13 4:15:55 AM#91
Originally posted by Biskop
God I'm sick of the "gameplay>graphics" cliché. Sure, graphics isn't the only important thing about a game, but if it didn't matter at all, we'd all still be playing pnp games and muds.

Computer games are graphical games and graphics are the means by which the game presents itself to the player. If that presentation fails at easing the player into the game, it doesn't matter how great the gameplay is, since it is hindered by an inferior presentation.

Games should have BOTH good graphics and good gameplay, with today's pc tech there's no need to chose anymore.

Good job sherlock!

That said, gameplay>graphics still and always will be.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 Search