Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,859,913 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,245,158
Seatribe | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Historical | Status:Final  (rel 2013)  | Pub:Paradox Interactive
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac Linux | Out of date info? Let us know!

Salem Forum » General Discussion » How exactly is permadeath ruled in salem?

6 posts found
  darkjoy

Novice Member

OP  2/03/13 3:36:22 PM#1

Hello folks!

Title says all...

So how are the rules?

I was kicked in the butt by some crickets and rattles already and they just knocked me out...

As i understand by now it is only related to criminal players that break your ground/steal/raise land/burn everything down

right?

or will any duell/pvp with other players lead to permadeath?

Or maybe just like in darkfall (so i am ko and someone hast to perform a deathblow to kill me forever?)

please explain! thanks!

Larsa

Novice Member

2/04/13 9:28:08 AM#2

Only players can perma-kill your character, mobs cannot.

Player characters need to have the murder skill to perma-kill you, most players will have the skill and most will use it as well. Takes only a few days to get all fighting/criminal skills for a new character when you have support from an existing village.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

xpiher

Advanced Member

2/20/13 3:59:16 AM#3
AFAIK you lose your character, but retain some skills/stats when killed with the new character you create. You also retain your claim and everything in it if its well protected. 

Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

bigmilk

Novice Member

2/23/13 8:47:11 PM#4
Originally posted by xpiher
AFAIK you lose your character, but retain some skills/stats when killed with the new character you create. You also retain your claim and everything in it if its well protected. 

Actually, you lose your character completely. You create a new character who has the option to inherit your dead characters claims. Anything remaining on the claim will be accessible to you, just like the whole world of Salem. The process is complicated by locked gates, and containers. For this reason, you will need a key or you will need to destroy locked gates and containers. The common strategy for this situation is to have a character on a second account who holds master keys and/or copies of master keys. If you keep this alt in the main city (Boston/Roanoke/Jamestown) or your respective server you can pass them to the new character.

For the record, I have not experienced the process first hand, so I do not know if you are given the opportunity to teleport directly to the claim (claim used as homestead) or if the claim needs to have a homestead secret established. I will try it eventually since alts are plentiful and it would not take too long to raise proficiencies required for the Settling skill. If you have an established character already storing a variety of inspirationals, it might only take 30-45 minutes and 150 silver for a Writ of Homesteading to test out the process. After that, you just need to get the character killed! I will have to try it myself :)

Happy Salem!

xpiher

Advanced Member

2/24/13 12:06:51 AM#5
You can teleport to your homestead

Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

Jupsto

Advanced Member

2/28/13 10:55:55 AM#6

you need certain skills to commit certain criminal acts, murder skill (called cain & abel) has a high cost. criminal acts leave behind scents which can be used to track and potentially summon the culprit to be killed even when offline. you'll pick it up, just be wary of other players. if you really want to survive trust no one and flee from every other human outside of town!

Originally posted by bigmilk

For the record, I have not experienced the process first hand, so I do not know if you are given the opportunity to teleport directly to the claim (claim used as homestead) or if the claim needs to have a homestead secret established. 

I have the fortune of being perma killed in salem, there is a npc in the character creation port who you can talk to to inherit your dead alt character's homestead. but yes you will lose all character development, but alot of investment/development in this game is your land, crops, buildings and stored items/resources. so even perma death can be alot less of a big deal if you play the game right. you could effectively max a character in a matter of hours with enough items/resources.

My blog: